HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MIN trades Devin Setoguchi to WPG for a draft pick (2014 2nd)

Old
07-06-2013, 02:47 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Chevy Audio

I've updated the Seto post to include Chevy's 7pm teleconference.

To listen click here.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I know that Seto was partying hard in Victoria last summer with Heatley and Bissonnette...
One of my buddies runs the golf course they were at.
...But it was for a wedding and in the off-season, so there is an excuse.
I would think Heatley would show some restraint given his past. Or at least go hard in private, not in public.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
I'd like to make another point about partying. MANY NHL'ers (and all pro athletes for that matter) do it.

I take issue with the locker room accusations. The dirty player accusations. The accusations that he is disliked by his teammates. Those rumors always annoy the hell out of me because they are so easy to start and hard to prove.

Remember if you will all the stuff that has been said about Evander Kane. Of all the Winnipeg Jets we have now, he is the last guy I would trade. That is despite all the garbage spewed about him. That kid gives everything he has to the Jets when he is on the ice. If Seto does the same I will be suitably impressed.

So, I will wait and see how Devin plays for the Jets. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and cheer hard for him until he gives me a reason not to. JMO.

07-06-2013, 03:08 PM
ahplk

I seem to recall more than a few times Kane feeding a linemate on a 2 on 1 only to have them shoot it right at the goalie (Mittens specifically comes to mind). If Kane's got a finisher, you'll see him pass enough.

If Wellwood had speed to keep up, he'd be the ideal hands for that line.

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:24 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Chevy and Zinger are as in touch with the Dub as they are with the pros. I'm sure they have all the info they need on Setoguchi to know if he fits with the culture they are attempting to build, and they don't exactly have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to making deals. He also played for our ECHL affiliate in Ontario during the lockout.

The last two playoff runs he went on with the Sharks his ppg was higher in the playoffs than the regular season. Hopefully we can get there.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I'd like to make another point about partying. MANY NHL'ers (and all pro athletes for that matter) do it.

I take issue with the locker room accusations. The dirty player accusations. The accusations that he is disliked by his teammates. Those rumors always annoy the hell out of me because they are so easy to start and hard to prove.

Remember if you will all the stuff that has been said about Evander Kane. Of all the Winnipeg Jets we have now, he is the last guy I would trade. That is despite all the garbage spewed about him. That kid gives everything he has to the Jets when he is on the ice. If Seto does the same I will be suitably impressed.

So, I will wait and see how Devin plays for the Jets. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and cheer hard for him until he gives me a reason not to. JMO.
I tend to agree with these sentiments. More importantly, I'm pretty sure that Chevy and his staff have way more inside information about this than any of us do. They obviously feel that he is worth trying out.

As I noted earlier, this seems like a low risk / high reward scenario, because Setoguchi is in a contract year before UFA. He will be highly motivated to perform and to show that he cares about his NHL career. I expect him to be focused and to perform at a high level. If he doesn't pan out, try to sell him for a draft pick at the deadline and move on.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:05 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:

Players don't party like they used too

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Well dirty player accusations you only have to watch him play. He is a dirty POS. Will often take cheap shots like taking a players skates out with his stick as they are heading close to the boards so they crumble into boards. That is the type of dirty I cannot stand as somebody who has broken their leg in a play along the boards in the past. Really hate those little cheap shots, they have more potential for injury than most of the well publicized incidents.

As for my source, I will not post it here. The only way to prove it would be to then track that source back to me, which I don't particularly want. I proved it to the site's administrator (Fugu), who said I had the go ahead for this.

He is not well-liked in the room and he does not take playing hockey for a living seriously. Those are SERIOUS concerns for me. For one year (a contract year at that) I am not overly concerned, but we'll see.

You are talking like this guy is coming in fresh from nowhere and people are already making things up ala Kane. This is not the case. This is a player with a long NHL history that has to be taken into account. So what if it wasn't the Jets, is every other organization incompetent?

BTW, Sharks are my 3rd favourite team.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:54 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

If I played in the show I would party like crazy and I don't blame the guys who do.

Then again, thats probably a good reason as to why I'm not there....

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:49 PM
scelaton

My thoughts:
This is yet another shrewd move by Chevy. Seto has had top 6 RW production numbers for most of his career, with top 3 numbers playing with San Jose's top line. He is a finisher, not a playmaker, so I am wondering whether Noel will mix up the lines at times, perhaps even trying him with Little and Ladd and having Wheeler move down to help Kane.
The price was very cheap for a young 20 goal scorer and we could easily get the second rounder back by trading him at the deadline--or someone else in the near future.The UFA/trade comparables in both salary and length of contract over the past 2 days make the Jets look very savvy.
As for the character issues that Holden raises (and checked out with Fugu), I am inclined to believe them, but am satisfied that the Jets took that into account in making the deal. I suspect his 'character' and on-ice inconsistency are related, and without them such a talent would not have been available at this price. He'll either have to deal with them or be on his way next year, but I'll bet TNSE will address this head on behind the scenes. Lots of young men-especially pro hockey players, IMO- take a long, long time to grow up. Though some never do, he is well worth the risk for one year.
The Jets 2.0 now, for the first time, have a real top-6...well, ok, 5 and a half.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:52 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Well dirty player accusations you only have to watch him play. He is a dirty POS. Will often take cheap shots like taking a players skates out with his stick as they are heading close to the boards so they crumble into boards. That is the type of dirty I cannot stand as somebody who has broken their leg in a play along the boards in the past. Really hate those little cheap shots, they have more potential for injury than most of the well publicized incidents.

As for my source, I will not post it here. The only way to prove it would be to then track that source back to me, which I don't particularly want. I proved it to the site's administrator (Fugu), who said I had the go ahead for this.

He is not well-liked in the room and he does not take playing hockey for a living seriously. Those are SERIOUS concerns for me. For one year (a contract year at that) I am not overly concerned, but we'll see.

You are talking like this guy is coming in fresh from nowhere and people are already making things up ala Kane. This is not the case. This is a player with a long NHL history that has to be taken into account. So what if it wasn't the Jets, is every other organization incompetent?

Not being popular in the room is one thing and he has that in common with Kane......but Evander is a kid, takes his professional really seriously, and has a really high compete level so I am ok with his less than perfect fit in the locker room because its not a popularity contest. don't like hearing a guy doesn't take things seriously because we already have some challenges with that in our locker room. Well he has one season to prove himself and if he is a distraction we can flip him at the trade deadline. I just really want him to put up numbers for the love of god.

He fills a short term need so hopefully he has a better year than Fehr or Olli had when they joined us.

Last edited by ps241: 07-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:08 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

I find your hate of Setoguchi odd considering your defense of players like Brown, who is far dirtier than Seto.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I find your hate of Setoguchi odd considering your defense of players like Brown, who is far dirtier than Seto.
Came here too say that. If you asked me to name the top 20 dirtiest players in the league never mind would he not even crack it for me, he wouldn't even get consideration. There are much, much worse guys in the NHL.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Also, I did some searching online and went to various sites to see who the dirtiest players are. In no particular order, here are the repeats:

Mike Riberio
Max Lapierre
Ryan White
Alex Burrows (not as much as of late)
Matt Cooke
Milan Lucic
Chris Pronger
Dave Bolland
Andrew Shaw
Scott Hartnell
John Erskine
Brad Marchand
Tom Sestito
Dion Pheneuf
Dan Carcillo
Jarod Boll
Steve Downie
Patrick Kaleta
Chris Neil
Steve Ott
Alex Ovechkin
Raffi Torres
Ben Eager
Jordan Tootoo
Zac Rinaldo
Zdeno Chara

Thats 26 player I found and Seto's name wasn't on anyone list at all so I am guessing he is as not as bad as Holden is insisting.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:04 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

There's lots of dirty players that go under the radar.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:12 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Man, quoted for truth lol

However...I will say this. While Holden is very opinionated(who isn't really) I do find him to be one of the more knowledgeable hockey fans around. He typically has it right on the money. My only knowledge of Seto is watching him fall on his ass again and again and again...and then again on fast forward and slow motion...during that shoot out, so I will reserve the right to state my own opinion later.

I think both sides may have a point about this...considering that Kesler and Brown arent on that list.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Came here too say that. If you asked me to name the top 20 dirtiest players in the league never mind would he not even crack it for me, he wouldn't even get consideration. There are much, much worse guys in the NHL.
There's two kind of dirty. Players like Cooke and Torres who take high profile cheapshots that often look really bad but are not nearly so bad as they look, for the purpose of a big hit or big play that is useful to the team these guys are trying to bend the rules. Then there's the hard to see dirty, players that try to bend the rules and get away with things for no other reason than to INJURE opposing players. Setoguchi is one of those. Little plays that most don't notice and won't help the team in any way other than injuring the opposing player. That is the type of plays I HATE, moreso even than the questionable big hits. Where the intent is clear, not just a missed big hit.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:17 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
no one has pointed out yet that we may ACTUALLY HAVE A REAL POWER PLAY!!!

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:30 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
We didnt want to jinx it.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:31 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
We didnt want to jinx it.
Well too late. But at least we can start talking about it now

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Yup. I can hardly wait to see Jokinen quarterbacking the power play and setting up Setoguchi and Kane for one-timers... oh, wait a minute...

Seriously, I do like the idea that Setoguchi should provide some more pop on the power play, and Frolik should improve the PK.

Down the road, I think that Scheifele, Trouba and Morrissey have the potential to be strong PP contributors.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:37 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Well too late. But at least we can start talking about it now
That's not even mentioning what he'll do to our shoot outs...

Old
07-07-2013, 11:11 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
I did. In fact that's the #1 thing I like about this trade. Chevy isn't just making moves for warm bodies to plug into roster spots, he's looking very specifically at needs. If he picked up yet another forward with no one-timer, I'd be upset. We have too many.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:31 PM
KCjetsfan

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I did. In fact that's the #1 thing I like about this trade. Chevy isn't just making moves for warm bodies to plug into roster spots, he's looking very specifically at needs. If he picked up yet another forward with no one-timer, I'd be upset. We have too many.
I haven't been completely sold on Chevy, but I think it's fair to say that at least going into this coming season, he has made some shrewd moves to provide Noel with better talent. Whether I trust Noel to use the talent correctly remains to be seen.

KCjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote