HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MIN trades Devin Setoguchi to WPG for a draft pick (2014 2nd)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2013, 03:55 PM
  #201
Duir
Registered Bunk
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
There's two kind of dirty. Players like Cooke and Torres who take high profile cheapshots that often look really bad but are not nearly so bad as they look, for the purpose of a big hit or big play that is useful to the team these guys are trying to bend the rules. Then there's the hard to see dirty, players that try to bend the rules and get away with things for no other reason than to INJURE opposing players. Setoguchi is one of those. Little plays that most don't notice and won't help the team in any way other than injuring the opposing player. That is the type of plays I HATE, moreso even than the questionable big hits. Where the intent is clear, not just a missed big hit.
Your original post made me curious because I am with you, I do not want that type of player on our team. That said, not a single site I visited had him any where near the dirtiest player. Some sites broke it down by infractions, some by public opinion, and some by player opinions. I was relieved that he name wasn't even mentioned once. Unfortunately there is no evidence to support your point of view at all. Not an attack on you bro, you just don't like the dude.

Also, I totally agree our powerplay just just got a nice boost. Seto seems to get himself in the right positions for scoring opportunities. FWIW Ladd is a very underrated set up guy so hopefully they can create some plays together on the PP.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
  #202
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,633
vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
There's two kind of dirty. Players like Cooke and Torres who take high profile cheapshots that often look really bad but are not nearly so bad as they look, for the purpose of a big hit or big play that is useful to the team these guys are trying to bend the rules. Then there's the hard to see dirty, players that try to bend the rules and get away with things for no other reason than to INJURE opposing players. Setoguchi is one of those. Little plays that most don't notice and won't help the team in any way other than injuring the opposing player. That is the type of plays I HATE, moreso even than the questionable big hits. Where the intent is clear, not just a missed big hit.
As dickish as this sounds the other stuff you said worries me much more than this.

I want a guy to come in and score 20-30 next to Kane and push the play forward. That's it.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
  #203
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Unreal move.

Stoked.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:53 AM
  #204
pcanuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Seto. is a good player but he's a one year rental for a second round pick. Not sure I like this - this was cap relief for MN plain and simple so they could get their younger first rounders on the team.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:58 AM
  #205
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,963
vCash: 297
pcanuck: what's stopping the Jets from getting that pick back at the deadline, if they chose to?

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:25 AM
  #206
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Seto. is a good player but he's a one year rental for a second round pick. Not sure I like this - this was cap relief for MN plain and simple so they could get their younger first rounders on the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
pcanuck: what's stopping the Jets from getting that pick back at the deadline, if they chose to?
Not to mention, I would say with confidence (but it's obviously just my opinion) had we not have given a 2nd round pick for Setoguchi, another GM easily would have. Easily worth the price, I think.

pcanuck, you're always on Chevy and the Jets when they don't make a move, you repetitively like to say "Your Winnipeg Jets, Fuelled by Patience". Now we make a move, which you always scream for, and now you're against it? The things you say simply contradict themselves.

From the Draft thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Most important 3 months of Chevy's career ....10 draft picks, too many to count RFA to sign and free agency beginning in July. These months will dictate the True direction this club will take and if mediocrity will be tolerated.
From the trade deadline GDT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
and yeah, a GM has to be a risk taker. Sitting back likely doesn't help. Which team has won the stanley cup without taking some risk either at the deadline or FA?

I guess those waiver wire pickups will be a winner! lol

"Your Winnipeg Jets, You're damned if you do, damned if you don't"


Last edited by Guerzy: 07-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:42 PM
  #207
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes
 
Turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,344
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Not to mention, I would say with confidence (but it's obviously just my opinion) had we not have given a 2nd round pick for Setoguchi, another GM easily would have. Easily worth the price, I think.

pcanuck, you're always on Chevy and the Jets when they don't make a move, you repetitively like to say "Your Winnipeg Jets, Fuelled by Patience". Now we make a move, which you always scream for, and now you're against it? The things you say simply contradict themselves.

From the Draft thread,



From the trade deadline GDT,




"Your Winnipeg Jets, You're damned if you do, damned if you don't"
Hey, it doesn't count as a risk unless the guy you sign, was for at least 9 million or so, and an All-Star/Former All-Star. Anything else is conservative/settling for mediocrity!!!

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:50 PM
  #208
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,021
vCash: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Hey, it doesn't count as a risk unless the guy you sign, was for at least 9 million or so, and an All-Star/Former All-Star. Anything else is conservative/settling for mediocrity!!!
With all of the risk takings that the Flyers have done in the past, I'm surprised they haven't won 3 cups in the last 15 years.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
  #209
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes
 
Turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,344
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
With all of the risk takings that the Flyers have done in the past, I'm surprised they haven't won 3 cups in the last 15 years.
Did anyone get my Jokinen reference?!

Anyways yeah, the Flyers have iced some impressive line-ups over the years; hard to believe they haven't won a cup in 38 years.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:02 PM
  #210
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,666
vCash: 1200
There is a conference call with Setoguchi to be broadcast on 1290 in roughly 15 minutes, FYI.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  #211
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
There is a conference call with Setoguchi to be broadcast on 1290 in roughly 15 minutes, FYI.
Thanks Gump!

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
  #212
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,021
vCash: 1384
He doesn't want to be known as the guy that only tries in his contract year. Good to hear.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:32 PM
  #213
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Conference call



To listen to Setoguchi conference call, click here.


Last edited by ICdave: 07-08-2013 at 04:38 PM.
ICdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:40 PM
  #214
CTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Sounds like a class act. I'm excited to see him in a Jets jersey.

CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:35 PM
  #215
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,078
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
He doesn't want to be known as the guy that only tries in his contract year. Good to hear.
LMAO does that mean he is going to suck this year on purpose?

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:48 PM
  #216
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Anybody notice Seto said he's in San Jose right now? My guess is he never wanted to leave there and has kept his home there with the intention of coming back when UFA.

As I was a Sharks fan during his entire tenure in SJ and watched him play a lot of games, I'm not on board with this trade. A 2nd for a 1 year rental is a hefty price, but I hope I'm wrong.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
  #217
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,615
vCash: 880
Thats what wild fans say. Apparently every time he leaves san Jose he tweets about how he's going to miss California. No doubt he will be back.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
  #218
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,633
vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Anybody notice Seto said he's in San Jose right now? My guess is he never wanted to leave there and has kept his home there with the intention of coming back when UFA.

As I was a Sharks fan during his entire tenure in SJ and watched him play a lot of games, I'm not on board with this trade. A 2nd for a 1 year rental is a hefty price, but I hope I'm wrong.
Toews has a house in Winnipeg, but he seems just fine with playing in Chicago...

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:18 PM
  #219
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Anybody notice Seto said he's in San Jose right now? My guess is he never wanted to leave there and has kept his home there with the intention of coming back when UFA.

As I was a Sharks fan during his entire tenure in SJ and watched him play a lot of games, I'm not on board with this trade. A 2nd for a 1 year rental is a hefty price, but I hope I'm wrong.
On the surface a second round pick seems to have fairly good value. When you dig a bit and realize the upcoming draft class looks to be about as poor as any class we've seen in the past decade, I'm not worried about it. I hope we trade our first rounder if it brings back a good return. This draft is nothing to write home about, at all, and the GM's all know it.

Combine that fact with Guerzy's point that there are undoubtedly several other teams who would have paid the same price, I don't see how anyone could call this a bad move.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:45 PM
  #220
gholas
UnRegistered UnUser
 
gholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 4144
FYI. I'm coining Teemu Seloguche after he scores his 1st goal :/

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:46 PM
  #221
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,078
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Anybody notice Seto said he's in San Jose right now? My guess is he never wanted to leave there and has kept his home there with the intention of coming back when UFA.

As I was a Sharks fan during his entire tenure in SJ and watched him play a lot of games, I'm not on board with this trade. A 2nd for a 1 year rental is a hefty price, but I hope I'm wrong.
I'll wait and see how he plays for us. If he scores 20 -25 goals and works well with Kane, and we make the playoffs, I think that 2nd is 'money' well spent. Who knows, he might like playing here and stick around. He can always go back to Cali in the spring/ summer.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:54 PM
  #222
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I'll wait and see how he plays for us. If he scores 20 -25 goals and works well with Kane, and we make the playoffs, I think that 2nd is 'money' well spent. Who knows, he might like playing here and stick around. He can always go back to Cali in the spring/ summer.
I don't know what it is about Winnipeg, but for whatever reason people seem to love playing/performing here. Alot of athletes have said on record how much they loved it. Rock stars even. Steven Tyler has said that Winnipeg is one of his favourite cities to play in.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:16 PM
  #223
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Toews has a house in Winnipeg, but he seems just fine with playing in Chicago...
Toews has family in Winnipeg and grew up here. Seto's family is in Southern Alberta yet lives in San Jose.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:28 PM
  #224
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
On the surface a second round pick seems to have fairly good value. When you dig a bit and realize the upcoming draft class looks to be about as poor as any class we've seen in the past decade, I'm not worried about it. I hope we trade our first rounder if it brings back a good return. This draft is nothing to write home about, at all, and the GM's all know it.

Combine that fact with Guerzy's point that there are undoubtedly several other teams who would have paid the same price, I don't see how anyone could call this a bad move.
Well aware next year's draft class ain't that great. Given how poorly the Jets played the West 2 years ago, I think this is going to be a long year for the Jets and will likely be a top 5 pick. Their 2nd round pick is almost like a late first rounder.

I'm not against the Seto trade just because of the draft pick. I just never thought he was that great of a player. He's a decent 3rd liner with scoring potential, but will be used as a 2nd liner with more minutes. That concerns me, especially with his inconsistent play.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
  #225
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,759
vCash: 500
Well, I think we can all agree, he's a HUGE upgrade on Mittens.

Lets see how he does. To be honest, haven't watched him play that closely, to comment on the dirty player assertion, but I'll be watching more closely now.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.