HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[MIN] Wild sign Matt Cooke (3 years, $2.5MM AAV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Lets put seto on a team with two hall of fame level players and see where his numbers are then
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You mean like Zach Parise and Ryan Suter?
E'eryone's all

Old
07-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Sedin
HFBoards Sponsor

Decent signing.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Beauner

vCash: 50
Minny fans- you'll warm up to him. He's actually a pretty decent guy and I really think he's put his antics behind him. I bet you'll start yelling "Cookie!" in an affectionate manner by November.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:14 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
All this hate makes me miss Cooke even more.

Wild got a great player & great guy.

He always took too much crap for the Savard thing. It was a legal hit at the time & the Boston organization has never admitted their share fault in rushing him back.
I think he took the exact right amount of crap for it. However, why nobody else who wrecked a career on purpose with a similar hit takes the same amount of crap is a mystery to me. This group would include Colby Armstrong and Mike Richards. Ovechkin also ended a guy's career on a board. Forget his name.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:18 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
E'eryone's all

Statements like that just remind me of when everyone said Gaborik's numbers would skyrocket if he moved east to a more offensive team.

Skyrocketed so much that he increased his career high in goals in a season by.... none! His career high in points by... 3! OMG!

Old
07-07-2013, 05:22 AM
KuemperTantrum
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Time will never dim our hatred for Cooke.

One of the few players I would like to see put out of commission permanently.

People on this forum are brutal. The guys been a clean player for the last 2 years, forgive and forget..

Old
07-07-2013, 05:35 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I would change that "when" to "if".

If he injured a Penguin intentionally or anyone for that matter, then people who hate Cooke have an argument, but the fact is, he really hasn't done anything stupid in over 2 years, he's had some controversial moments, but none that were really intentional as far as hockey fans know, the only person that knows his intent is himself, nobody else.

I don't think he will intentionally take out another player, if he intentionally tries to injure a Penguin, I (and most Pens fans) will be pissed, if he intentionally tried to injure another player regardless, he should be disciplined. But until that happens, all anyone who hates Cooke can do is assume that's what he will do.
You guys make it sound like not intentionally injuring anyone for 2 years makes it ok that he intentionally injured several players before. You make it sound like Cooke did some great thing, well let me tell you, players are not supposed to intentionally injure other players at all. That is a rule in the NHL and a rule that should have been used to suspend Cooke before yet I continually see Penguins fans say there was no rule against a blindside elbow to the head so it was not illegal. The problem is still that there was and is a rule against deliberately injuring someone.

It is not a great thing that Cooke isn't out there trying to hurt people, it is exactly what is expected from everyone everyday.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:06 AM
dashripdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by braille View Post
cooke hasn't had a game misconduct since 10-11 fwiw
Except for the game misconduct he had in June 2013, Game 1, Eastern Conference Finals for a hit on McQuaid, right?

Old
07-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Abraham85

Hahah, this deal reminds me of when DR traded for Chris Simon. Cooke is and will for always be a PoS.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Lomes
One...and out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
You guys make it sound like not intentionally injuring anyone for 2 years makes it ok that he intentionally injured several players before. You make it sound like Cooke did some great thing, well let me tell you, players are not supposed to intentionally injure other players at all. That is a rule in the NHL and a rule that should have been used to suspend Cooke before yet I continually see Penguins fans say there was no rule against a blindside elbow to the head so it was not illegal. The problem is still that there was and is a rule against deliberately injuring someone.

It is not a great thing that Cooke isn't out there trying to hurt people, it is exactly what is expected from everyone everyday.
He wasn't intentionally trying to hurt players, get a grip. Like a great number of players he played on the edge, if he had a hit, he took it. Is he the only player to have hurt someone with a hit to the head or running someone into the boards? No. It's hockey, a tough sport.

I am indifferent to Cooke in a lot of respects, he's a bit of a tool, but he is a very useful player. I'm glad he's in the West just so we don't have to put up with the trendy, tedious, mind-numbing righteous indignation over his mere existence.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Sikhander

Cooke is a complete PoS with the same values as some prison inmates.

He was one of Pens best players this year though so the trade is great for the Wild team.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:48 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Drama queens....
Well among other things Gee Wally got a front row seat to see Marc Savard's career more or less end with a blind side shoulder hit to the jaw. Funny that looked a lot like the same kind of hit that I got to see Artem Anisimov absorb only Anisimov was a little bit luckier. Cooke got two games for that. And what's with only suspending this guy after hits against the Rangers? because the next thing I remember he gets ten games for cold cocking McDonagh with a flying elbow on national TV--which came right after Lemieux making some dumb ass remarks about players not having enough respect for each other or some **** like that. Well Cooke accentuated his point.

And as far as his being rehabilitated you know I don't really buy that Erik Karlsson's achilles being cut was an accident. The accident excuse has been used over and over again in Cooke's case. I could buy that excuse though if he did ram Crosby face first into the glass from behind though or did a little knee clipping job--because I know they're friends and he wouldn't do that on purpose-------would he? Uh huh--too much respect for each other.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:09 AM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukan View Post

People on this forum are brutal. The guys been a clean player for the last 2 years, forgive and forget..
Guess that erases the damage done.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:19 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukan View Post

He's still keeping up his stellar record of inflicting severe injuries to star players though such as his slashing of Karlsson's tendon.

Of course that was a woopsie-purely accidental.How anyone could believe otherwise is shocking.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Guess that erases the damage done.
It doesn't and I didn't see anybody say it does. However I think it's funny that people use this argument.

"Yeah just wait until Matt Cooke does this again"

"He hasn't done it in 2 years, he changed his game"

"Oh well I guess that makes everything he did in the past okay or as if it never happened"

Old
07-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Nolanitis

Seems like the same amount of money they would have paid Clutterbuck, so I am a bit surprised. Glad he is in the West though.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
He's still keeping up his stellar record of inflicting severe injuries to star players though such as his slashing of Karlsson's tendon.

Of course that was a woopsie-purely accidental.How anyone could believe otherwise is shocking.
especially when anyone happens to be a Sens fan...

Old
07-07-2013, 09:47 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Minny have underrated bottom six depth.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:51 AM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikhander View Post
Cooke is a complete PoS with the same values as some prison inmates.

He was one of Pens best players this year though so the trade is great for the Wild team.
What trade are you talking about?

The Pens will miss Cooke but for 2.5 Minny can have him.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:52 AM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post

How's that forensic review coming?

Old
07-07-2013, 10:21 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
Seems like the same amount of money they would have paid Clutterbuck, so I am a bit surprised. Glad he is in the West though.
I'm a Bruins fan first and foremost, but I've sort of adopted the Wild now that I live here and am raising my kids here, etc. I hate that I have to watch Matt Cooke now play on a regular basis...hate it. I will never defend him on here in any capacity.

So, with that being said, the Clutterbuck trade/Cooke signing makes a ton of sense. Rather than just keeping Clutterbuck and paying him that money, they now essentially replaced him AND added Nino to their lineup. My massive distaste for Cooke aside, pretty brilliant if you ask me.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Sikhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
What trade are you talking about?

The Pens will miss Cooke but for 2.5 Minny can have him.
I meant signing him up. My mistake. My words stand though - good for the Wild but Cooke is a PoS as far as I am concerned. He has intentionally injured too many players - the two better years does not take that away.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Glad that POS is in the West. 2.5M for Cooke? HAHAHA. What a joke for a joke of a player.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

minny will love matt "sirhan sirhan" cooke's game, especially come playoff time. the guy leaves it all out there each shift.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:56 AM
BigEezyE22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashripdot View Post
Except for the game misconduct he had in June 2013, Game 1, Eastern Conference Finals for a hit on McQuaid, right?
Yeah, the misconduct that was bought by a guy playing dead.

Closed Thread