HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GMDT discussing todays FA frenzy

Old
07-05-2013, 05:25 PM
gudzilla

vCash: 500
GMDT discussing todays FA frenzy

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/podcast...=348&iid=43309

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:29 PM
flapanthersfan

When Harvey asked him basically if he was handcuffed fiscally by ownership, Tallon's response was basically sidestepped the question, which in other words is a "yes"

We need new owners. I'm not that upset over any of the contracts we missed out on today, but our GM shouldn't be handcuffed like this, either.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

"We've got to be patient here. I said that we would be patient today and that we're not going to overpay and that we're going to chip away at this all summer," said Tallon on a conference call a couple of hours after the start of free agency. "We don't play a game until October so we've got time here to keep fixing and keep adding.

“We're not done yet."

Meh, works

07-06-2013, 06:27 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 605
Can we just call Dale Tallon "Tallon", instead of "GMDT"? It's only two more letters.
It was a bit more humorous when the the Caps fans called George McPhee "GMGM".

Besides, I always think of Greenwich Mean Time and we all know who our GM is. (hopefully)

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Mogo
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 814
Why can't we get billionare owners. You'd think few would be living in south florida

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:44 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Why can't we get billionare owners. You'd think few would be living in south florida
Probably lots of them live in South Florida, but most of them would take ownership as business investment, not so many who are hockey fans and who has true passion.
Jeff Greene was involved in buying Tampa Bay before Vinik?? bought it some years ago:
"Jeff Greene, a Miami Beach real estate investor, said Wednesday in a statement that his due diligence into the organization's finances "determined that this investment does not meet our criteria."

"The numbers," he said, "do not work for us."

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:50 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
There is a ton of money in South FLA, maybe we will have a new ownership group when the heavy lifting is done and we have a decent product on the ice in a couple of years.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:29 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

From the Neal in the Herald...

That’s why the Panthers staying on the periphery while the rest of their divisional rivals jumped into the fray with checkbooks flashing doesn’t give as much queasiness as something Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said during a conference call with South Florida media.

Tallon was asked if budgetary limitations held him back from doing anything major Friday, or even re-signing center Stephen Weiss or forward Peter Mueller.

Tallon paused for a few seconds before replying, “We have a budget, and we have a budget we have to stick with. That’s what the mandate is. It’s all in the budget. So, that’s what we’re doing.”
Whenever a team near the salary-cap floor starts talking about budget, there’s a problem. And Tallon sounded about as happy as if he had been told he would need to move to Winnipeg.

The Panthers don’t need another person in charge of hockey personnel begging to escape Sunrise.

This pretty much nails what my concerns are.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:39 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
From the Neal in the Herald...

That’s why the Panthers staying on the periphery while the rest of their divisional rivals jumped into the fray with checkbooks flashing doesn’t give as much queasiness as something Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said during a conference call with South Florida media.

Tallon was asked if budgetary limitations held him back from doing anything major Friday, or even re-signing center Stephen Weiss or forward Peter Mueller.

Tallon paused for a few seconds before replying, “We have a budget, and we have a budget we have to stick with. That’s what the mandate is. It’s all in the budget. So, that’s what we’re doing.”
Whenever a team near the salary-cap floor starts talking about budget, there’s a problem. And Tallon sounded about as happy as if he had been told he would need to move to Winnipeg.

The Panthers don’t need another person in charge of hockey personnel begging to escape Sunrise.

This pretty much nails what my concerns are.
Yeah I didn't like reading that either, I must admit. I won't worry about it too much until we know some more facts.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Big Bjugs
Amat Victoria Curam

vCash: 157
I don't buy it. If teams like Phoenix and New Jersey can afford to overpay so can Florida. It's not like there was anyone worth the over payment that would fit our plans. Also there are tonnes of players available still.

As much as I love Mueller, he was useless. Weiss' time was up.

I'd rather go with the young guns than be stuck with Filppula, Ribiero or Horton for 5-7years. Nothing but pure 2nd tier or lower players out there. Why would you guys want more crap added to the bunch?

I think most of you just want a signing for the sake of a signing.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:56 AM
iam76

love hearing him always include trocheck... hes gonna be special in my opinion

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I said in the other thread that if this is truly how ownership will be, Tallon could very well lose patience and jump ship.

Why would he stay if he knows this is all for nothing and we will lose everyone all over again? I'm tired of being a farm team for the rest of the league.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote