HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you grade Day 1 of Free Agency for Buffalo?

View Poll Results: What grade would you give Buffalo on Day 1 of UFA?
A 22 25.88%
B 25 29.41%
C 12 14.12%
D 7 8.24%
F 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Kublakhan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Incomplete.
this

Kublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Shoey
Hello.

A.

Can't fault Darcy for not making trades when I don't know what the offers are. As far as signing free agents, he did exactly what I would do with a rebuilding team... nothing.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:55 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

In addition to being pleased we didn't waste any time signing guys to take ice away from current youth..I'm glad we didn't toss around cap space for the fun of it like these other gross overpayments.

The outsiders look on these deals given out Friday is ridiculously comical. Clarkson and Horton inking nearly identical deals? Alfredsson for 5.5? These over the hill players that made this class all got overpaid. I didn't look at a single contract and not shake my head.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:25 AM
sivert

D. We could have signed a couple of vets to one-year deals to trade them at the deadline for picks or prospects.

sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:57 AM
BananaSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
D. We could have signed a couple of vets to one-year deals to trade them at the deadline for picks or prospects.
Sounds so easy....

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by goach View Post
i'll take setogouchi anytime in a trade for stafford!! no question
Stafford has better numbers than Seto over the last three years and has a better overall game. I get that you probably hate Stafford, but he's better than Setoguchi.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:57 AM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

I guess I took it a different look. An AHL wing and AHL defensemen are your only moves. Quite depressing. F

Staying on focus with younger players while fielding calls on veterans (Stafford, Miller, Vanek). A

TheCerebral1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:57 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
I can't believe that bum Darcy didn't trade for Crosby or Ovechkin !?!

what the hell is he doing, Darcy said we would the Cup next season !!1!

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:00 AM
HiddenInLight

I'd give it a c. Didnt get better didnt get worse.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Zippster

For those grading good for "not getting worse" , when teams around you make themselves better, you get worse. If the plan is to get to #1 pick next draft, were solidly on track.

I dont believe we needed huge over paid names because we do need to figure out what some of these young guys can do but when an AHL scrub is your biggest move, thats taking doing nothing to a whole new level.

Darcy always wins his trades, why? Because those are the only ones he makes, just ask St Louis for Miller, he is holding tight to these pieces again and probably squeezed all the value out of them.

Zippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
For those grading good for "not getting worse" , when teams around you make themselves better, you get worse. If the plan is to get to #1 pick next draft, were solidly on track.

I dont believe we needed huge over paid names because we do need to figure out what some of these young guys can do but when an AHL scrub is your biggest move, thats taking doing nothing to a whole new level.

Darcy always wins his trades, why? Because those are the only ones he makes, just ask St Louis for Miller, he is holding tight to these pieces again and probably squeezed all the value out of them.
We didn't get worse long-term, which is what matters.

Also, there one report about Darcy and St Louis appears to be BS.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:16 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Pretty much any grading for Darcy from here on out gets an auto F...I don't care if he wins a trade or not...The clown's time has passed.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:29 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Pretty much any grading for Darcy from here on out gets an auto F...I don't care if he wins a trade or not...The clown's time has passed.
That's rational.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
At least you aren't letting your bias affect your judgement

Old
07-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Prospector74

Incomplete.

My thoughts on how Darcy did will, like the team's future, revolve around decisions on Miller and Vanek. I'd like to see both moved in the summer and will consider it bad if we don't (and don't extend) but if they stretch it to the deadline (not a fan of this approach) and get a good return for an uninjured Vanek, then I'll be okay (again not a proponent of that approach). Would much rather see sign or trade this summer on Vanek. Miller, sort of indifferent to what happens due to the market.

Prospector74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Regier has publically stated there will be "suffering" and that he intends to bring in guys to support the youngsters. At this point, Ellis and Bagnall are both letter-wearing, high-character, high-effort players to help out on the farm. Yes, there will be suffering and it will get worse when Miller and Vanek are taken out of the lineup. All of that points to your first point -- it does seem the plan is to get as high up in the draft as possible while giving the young players playing time.

07-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Zippster

Why dont teams like Detroit suffer? What is it now, 23 years straight for playoffs?

I'm sorry, while I am a die hard Sabs fan, after 16 seasons of this guy, I just have ZERO faith in anything he does or tells me anymore. The pessimist in me sees 3 years of his "suffering" and then it going bust to the point we finally get rid of him and start the "real" rebuild.
PLEASE I hope I am 100% wrong, but thats what this organization has done to a lot of us fans.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Why dont teams like Detroit suffer? What is it now, 23 years straight for playoffs?

I'm sorry, while I am a die hard Sabs fan, after 16 seasons of this guy, I just have ZERO faith in anything he does or tells me anymore. The pessimist in me sees 3 years of his "suffering" and then it going bust to the point we finally get rid of him and start the "real" rebuild.
PLEASE I hope I am 100% wrong, but thats what this organization has done to a lot of us fans.
Yes, and before that, they were the Dead Things and a laughing stock around the league for the '70's and early '80's. Then Ilitch took over, hired Devellano and started building their team with the likes of Yzerman. You want the Detroit model without going through what Detroit did at the start of Ilitch's ownership to get to the regard you hold them in now.

Last edited by Chainshot: 07-06-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Then*
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:58 PM
BCS

Quote:
The pessimist in me sees 3 years of his "suffering" and then it going bust to the point we finally get rid of him and start the "real" rebuild.
Ditto.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:08 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
Ditto.
Same.

We're gonna be taking the mantle of laughingstock, "free win if you play them" status that used to be the Columbus Blue Jackets. The "BJ's Blow" becomes "B-LOw's" and "BuffaLOL" :

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:01 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I think you have to take this rebuild seriously at this point. Our prospect pool is one of the best in the league right now. Shipping out Roy, Goose, Poms, Regehr and Leo and letting Timmy go show commitment to moving on. I am more excited about our future now than I think I ever have been. When the current youngsters start contributing enough to make us a winning team, then you add the veteran FA pieces to become a contender.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:

Detroit got where they are by drafting Yzerman and other high picks which they eventually traded for talent. They sucked really badly for a really long time before that. They got Federov at a time where you could land elite Russians later in the draft due to concerns about them being able to defect. They turned that into being a yearly contender.

Then they got lucky in drafting Datsyuk so they got another franchise player for free as Yzerman was declining. On top of that they are a top notch organization, but there was a lot of luck involved. They're basically what Pegula wants the Sabres to become, but that's not going to happen until they build a good team around franchise players so that they can compete year in and out, and have good players want to come here to compete for a Cup.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:12 PM
AlsPug

I do not understand this thread. How can you rate NOTHING. hehe

If a student has done nothing, would you give him a grade A?!

Imagine if Darcy depended on your grade, he wouldn't be doing anything from this day on. and.... he would have been beaten to death for a few times allready.

Anyways Miller and/or Vanek could have been traded if done correctly. My only hope is that theyr price is only going to grow.

And if we only knew what contracts were they offering... maybe they were so ridiculous, that you would have been disgusted for an entire year and give a grade Z-.

Doing nothing does not mean doing something right, you can allways upgrade a position, at least get a younger version of a player.

AlsPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
The list of teams "like Detroit" over the last 20 years is as follows:

1)Detroit

Karate Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Zippster

So its all luck? Good team/players seem to get "lucky" when instead its skill and smarts.

Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Fits what were doing here with Darcy to a T .