HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

NEW Ott/Chi Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Behn Wilson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
I have to say, Martin Havlat definately plays with an edge.
Not to the level of Mark Bell, (just ask Jeremy Roenick). Though I know Havlat isnt a soft player by any means.

Im not saying Havlat isnt the better player here, Im just saying Id like the Hawks for a change to hold on to some of their young talent. I was way pissed when we traded JP Dumont, I still cant believe that one. Id like for them to keep their young nucleus and let them develop.

Old
06-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Gardebut30

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=Behn Wilson]We only have two players worth a darn in Bell and Ruutu QUOTE]

Arnason, well, the kid put up good numbers, but who knows what his future holds. He has pretty good skills and I remember reading a quote of Sakic's - after he undressed him in the game in Colorado - that he was one of the better young offensive talents in the league. Wish I could find a link.

Bell, we need him. That's all I can say. After seeing him improve every season, and seeing how great he is in the locker room, I'd hate to lose him.

I'd add Calder to your list. I don't think we have anyone, maybe aside from Matt Keith, that can do what Calder does, which is sit in front of net, create havoc, and tip the puck in. Calder can mentor Keith. Remember Keith's goal against St. Louis late in the year? Wasn't pretty but he stayed in front and scored pretty much untouched. He looked like Calder in front of the net. I think/hope Calder and Keith are cut from the same mold.

Old
06-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Behn Wilson

Keith doesnt have a fraction of Calder's skills. Unfortunatley our system is pretty devoid of scoring talent. Arnason and Calder are pretty good forwards but when they are your third and fourth best forwards that is a sad commentary on the roster.

We have a solid nucleus of young dmen if they pan out as expected but our prospects at forward dont look nearly so bright. Our recent top picks in Yakubov, Vorobiev, Nordquist, Ellison & Keith have been major disappointments to date from the offensive standpoint. It is pretty obvious we have to upgrade our top 3 lines thru free agency.

But management as usual will target middle of the road talents like barnaby and Brown instead of aiming higher.

Old
06-13-2005, 12:09 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I would be all over pretty much any of the offers made. Bell is a very solid forward and I think he may be the next great power forward, but Havlat on a line with Ruutu would give Hawk fans something to drool over.

Old
06-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik V.2
That Sabres one I like for the reason it would give the Sens a couple left wingers, including one who is a clutch playoff player (Drury), a physical strapping winger with good upside who'd fit well with Ottawa's young team (Pyatt), a goalie prospect to maybe take over the #1 role seeing as Hasek is as good as gone (Miller) and a mid round first round pick. I think that's a solid proposal...
Thank you, but even so, i doubt Ottawa bites.

Having said that though, the Sens aren't gonna get anyone like Bert for Havlat, as good as he is.

Old
06-13-2005, 09:25 AM
SENSible1*

With the NHL moving to emphasize speed, skill and putting a premium on cheap contracts, why would the Sens even consider moving Havlat?

Old
06-13-2005, 12:02 PM
bert

Havlat isnt going anywhere you dont trade players like him especially with his extremely inexepensive contract in a league that will have a salary cap.

Ottawa will be able to fill the void of a "gritty left winger" when teams that are over the cap are looking to cut salary. The amount of available players after the lockout is settled will be overwhelming, no teams should trade any young commodities to fill holes until the new free agency standards have been established.

Old
06-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
Havlat isnt going anywhere you dont trade players like him especially with his extremely inexepensive contract in a league that will have a salary cap.

Ottawa will be able to fill the void of a "gritty left winger" when teams that are over the cap are looking to cut salary. The amount of available players after the lockout is settled will be overwhelming, no teams should trade any young commodities to fill holes until the new free agency standards have been established.
I agree the deal isn't fair value for OTT, but there is a couple of points.

1) Agree on the value of productive young players. However, the Sens would be getting at least 2 productive young players back in the proposed deal (Bell, Arnason). It's not like Mark Bell is Brendan Shanahan.
2) In other leagues with a hard salary cap, successful teams rarely win by having an overwhelming amount of talent (and payroll) in one position. I doubt the Sens will be able to cherry pick an impact physical LW'er as these players are extremely rare, and the Sens already several elite level players (Redden, Chara, Alfredsson, Hossa, etc.).
3) IMO, this is one of those cases of having to give to get. You're not going to find a player like Mark Bell as a FA.

Old
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
I agree the deal isn't fair value for OTT, but there is a couple of points.

1) Agree on the value of productive young players. However, the Sens would be getting at least 2 productive young players back in the proposed deal (Bell, Arnason). It's not like Mark Bell is Brendan Shanahan.
2) In other leagues with a hard salary cap, successful teams rarely win by having an overwhelming amount of talent (and payroll) in one position. I doubt the Sens will be able to cherry pick an impact physical LW'er as these players are extremely rare, and the Sens already several elite level players (Redden, Chara, Alfredsson, Hossa, etc.).
3) IMO, this is one of those cases of having to give to get. You're not going to find a player like Mark Bell as a FA.
These are all good points

Closed Thread