HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The 4 0n 4 Rule

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2005, 06:37 PM
  #1
Kimi
Registered User
 
Kimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Country: England
Posts: 5,892
vCash: 500
The 4 0n 4 Rule

I keep reading about how a team would take a minor to make the game four on four for a while because they were good at it. I want want to know what is the logic did the coach use? You loose your extra man, you've got the same number of people to defend with, when five on four is better in your own end. More men attacking is better as you have more options open for pass and shots.

The only logic I can see is that there is more space on the ice, put the advantage goes to the other team as well so it cancels out. If you want the space then you can tell one guy the stand on his own blue line when your team is with the puck to catch dumps and pass it back in quickly.

Could someone give me some in sight to things conserning this please?

Kimi is offline  
Old
06-11-2005, 06:40 PM
  #2
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi3013
I keep reading about how a team would take a minor to make the game four on four for a while because they were good at it. I want want to know what is the logic did the coach use? You loose your extra man, you've got the same number of people to defend with, when five on four is better in your own end. More men attacking is better as you have more options open for pass and shots.

The only logic I can see is that there is more space on the ice, put the advantage goes to the other team as well so it cancels out. If you want the space then you can tell one guy the stand on his own blue line when your team is with the puck to catch dumps and pass it back in quickly.

Could someone give me some in sight to things conserning this please?

You actually answered your own question, it's the open ice space. During the Oilers heyday, if one of the Oiler's pests could draw an opponent into going off to the box with him in matching minors, it freed up ice for Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey and Anderson to skate. The skill teams could really take advantage.

Bring Back Bucky is online now  
Old
06-11-2005, 06:53 PM
  #3
Kimi
Registered User
 
Kimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Country: England
Posts: 5,892
vCash: 500
So it was more of the Oiler's players taking the other guy down with them when they got a minor?

I was confused on why they didn't just have one guy keeping out the way, staying down there own end to help out should they loose the puck. But if they got the minor first I can see the logic.

Kimi is offline  
Old
06-11-2005, 06:56 PM
  #4
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi3013
So it was more of the Oiler's players taking the other guy down with them when they got a minor?

I was confused on why they didn't just have one guy keeping out the way, staying down there own end to help out should they loose the puck. But if they got the minor first I can see the logic.

They wouldn't already be receiving the minor, they would try to get someone into a pushing match, etc that would result in two minors at once..

The more space on the ice, the less opportunity for clutching and grabbing and the greater the advantage to the more talented team.

Bring Back Bucky is online now  
Old
06-11-2005, 07:07 PM
  #5
Kimi
Registered User
 
Kimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Country: England
Posts: 5,892
vCash: 500
I see now. It not like they went out to get a minor when they were on the power play to make it four on four. It was taking the minors at even strength, sacrificing a player to do so. I understand now.

I guess the Oiler's didn't need the extra man for a power play when they had the players they did back them.

Thanks for the help!!

Kimi is offline  
Old
06-11-2005, 07:38 PM
  #6
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi3013
I see now. It not like they went out to get a minor when they were on the power play to make it four on four. It was taking the minors at even strength, sacrificing a player to do so. I understand now.

I guess the Oiler's didn't need the extra man for a power play when they had the players they did back them.

Thanks for the help!!

You're welcome, Kimi! It's kind of sad to think back to those days in a way. Those of us who were young Oiler fans in those took for granted the fun you could have watching that team. Others will disagree, but I had a lot of fun watching those 9-6 hockey games!

Bring Back Bucky is online now  
Old
06-11-2005, 10:10 PM
  #7
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
You're welcome, Kimi! It's kind of sad to think back to those days in a way. Those of us who were young Oiler fans in those took for granted the fun you could have watching that team. Others will disagree, but I had a lot of fun watching those 9-6 hockey games!
yeah those were real great hockey games, 9-6 huh? bucky.....la premiere etoile Kelly! Butchberger!

chooch* is offline  
Old
06-12-2005, 12:03 AM
  #8
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
yeah those were real great hockey games, 9-6 huh? bucky.....la premiere etoile Kelly! Butchberger!
Must you hijack every single thread mentioning the Oilers?

As for the topic... They were deadly 4 on 4. THey should take out the Gretzky rule when the NHL comes bakc too. Minor change but might create a bit more offense...

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
  #9
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi3013
Could someone give me some in sight to things con[c]erning this please?
The main difference would be that the opposing team wouldn't be allowed to clear the puck without icing being called. You say that you can keep a guy back to catch clearing passes, but all the other players still have to clear the zone, and time gets taken off the clock.

I'd be curious to see if any team actually has scored more goals per ice time four-on-four than they have on the power play. Can't see that happening.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
06-13-2005, 07:41 AM
  #10
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 123,829
vCash: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi3013
So it was more of the Oiler's players taking the other guy down with them when they got a minor?

I was confused on why they didn't just have one guy keeping out the way, staying down there own end to help out should they loose the puck. But if they got the minor first I can see the logic.

Because if you have the extra guy why not just plant him in front of the net?

GKJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.