HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We can pretty much bury the "Ilitch not willing to spend" -legend.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Henkka

vCash: 500
We can pretty much bury the "Ilitch not willing to spend" -legend.

Wings are now pushing over the current cap limit and also didn't hesitate with the Colaiacovo buyout to burn even more money. Also planned to buyout Sammy. They have used more money than the salary cap gives room.

I have never bought this theory, it has happened only because of the cap management. Being against the cap or near of it. They were ready to go after Suter, used private plane to meet him... that's not the cheapest thing to do, to fly over the continent after a player.

Really the money doesn't matter a piece if **** for Ilitch. The Red Wings operating budget is peanuts compared for Tigers. Holland is the man in charge to keep Red Wings as good as possible. Cap makes restrictions. Not Ilitch. We will operate under those restrictions. That's 100% sure, if you just think a little bit more what is happening. We just don't overspend for the sake of overspending, because it kills your total cap. Cap management is really really important to have long-term success.

And because we are almost all the time against the cap, there's very little room for changes. That makes a huge difference like Jim Nill situation at Dallas. They needed a total rebuild and there was a lot room to make moves. We have stability, big money invested in greatest stars already, and that will bring the success to us.

Ryan Martin is the guru in these things. That's why Yzerman wanted him at Tampa, without him, Stevie's cap management has been pretty weak.

Last edited by Henkka: 07-06-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:41 AM
ricky0034

it was a pretty ridiculous idea at best to begin with considering the Wings profit like $20m/year

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:43 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I've been trying to tell you guys this for a while now...

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:49 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Jealous...

I think you got two of the best deals in the draft, adding Weiss to your 2nd line and Alfie as well makes your top 6 sicc.

As usual we see what Detroit's good ownership & asset mgmt. brings to the NHL - man it pains me to say that. Congrats

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:50 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I think you got two of the best deals in the draft, adding Weiss to your 2nd line and Alfie as well makes your top 6 sicc.

As usual we see what Detroit's good ownership & asset mgmt. brings to the NHL - man it pains me to say that. Congrats
Jackets ain't too shabby either... I just hope you change your playing style a bit, because it wasn't fun watching you guys play at the end of last season (you probably enjoyed it though, since you cheer for them)

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:51 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Yep. This myth should be dead and buried.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Amyklas

It's happening for 1 year, and that's only so it opens up a bunch of cap space next year. Trades, LTIR, and waivers will bring the cap below the limit, and the Wings will still have room to make a move this season.

Amyklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

It was always a stupid argument. If Ilitch wasn't willing to spend, why did they almost commit $90m to Suter last year?

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:17 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
It was always a stupid argument. If Ilitch wasn't willing to spend, why did they almost commit $90m to Suter last year?
I agree that it's stupid but i'll play devil's advocate on the Suter thing

Illitch loves his big headline grabbing moves signing star players

it's possible that if it were true he'd have been willing to spend a bunch of money,but only for a big name

Old
07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Amyklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
I agree that it's stupid but i'll play devil's advocate on the Suter thing

Illitch loves his big headline grabbing moves signing star players

it's possible that if it were true he'd have been willing to spend a bunch of money,but only for a big name
What (smart) GM would pay a bunch of money for a no-name player?

Old
07-06-2013, 12:21 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyklas View Post
What (smart) GM would pay a bunch of money for a no-name player?
one who realizes that even second tier free agents are expensive nowadays

a lesson it seems Holland took to heart this year

Old
07-06-2013, 12:23 PM
joe89

I must've missed this was up to debate, always was Kenny unwilling to spend for me.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:25 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I must've missed this was up to debate, always was Kenny unwilling to spend for me.
pretty sure it was really just a handful of people that ever really believed it

but they were fanatical about it at times

Old
07-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Amyklas

Quote:
one who realizes that even second tier free agents are expensive nowadays

a lesson it seems Holland took to heart this year
The Weiss deal isn't even close to the stratosphere of Suter/Parise. Not to mention, Weiss came cheaper than expected.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:30 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyklas View Post
The Weiss deal isn't even close to the stratosphere of Suter/Parise. Not to mention, Weiss came cheaper than expected.
obviously

but it's still a fairly significant amount of money

Weiss and Alfredsson will make like $10 million next year

Old
07-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Amyklas

Quote:
obviously

but it's still a fairly significant amount of money

Weiss and Alfredsson will make like $10 million next year
But Alfie is 1) a big name and 2) a 1-yr deal. Not to mention, if KH defers any of Alfie's bonus money, it will be a cap hit of $3.5 and up to $2 million. Not bank breakers IMO.

You want to look at spending...look at the Quincey deal and tell me how that possibly made sense. Look at the Sammy deal and how that made sense. Those two got "paid" well above their worth and for too many years, and they certainly weren't household names. So while the amounts are ridiculously high, KH definitely overspent (significantly)

Old
07-06-2013, 01:02 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Wings are now pushing over the current cap limit and also didn't hesitate with the Colaiacovo buyout to burn even more money. Also planned to buyout Sammy. They have used more money than the salary cap gives room.

I have never bought this theory, it has happened only because of the cap management. Being against the cap or near of it. They were ready to go after Suter, used private plane to meet him... that's not the cheapest thing to do, to fly over the continent after a player.

Really the money doesn't matter a piece if **** for Ilitch. The Red Wings operating budget is peanuts compared for Tigers. Holland is the man in charge to keep Red Wings as good as possible. Cap makes restrictions. Not Ilitch. We will operate under those restrictions. That's 100% sure, if you just think a little bit more what is happening. We just don't overspend for the sake of overspending, because it kills your total cap. Cap management is really really important to have long-term success.

And because we are almost all the time against the cap, there's very little room for changes. That makes a huge difference like Jim Nill situation at Dallas. They needed a total rebuild and there was a lot room to make moves. We have stability, big money invested in greatest stars already, and that will bring the success to us.

Ryan Martin is the guru in these things. That's why Yzerman wanted him at Tampa, without him, Stevie's cap management has been pretty weak.
Agreed on the Illitch spending thing.
The rest of the stuff, not so much

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote