HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
This is what makes me think Mantha might have more compete than people think. Hes a first round pick that goes out and fights a legit Q fighter in a 5-0 loss. He had five fights last year. If you can get him fired up he clearly is willing to fight and gets competitive in that sense, makes me think he'll have some more fire than people give him credit for
I just hope he doesn't start to get a bad habit like that. "Oh, the game is out of hand. Guess I'd better start some **** so everybody knows I'm competing!" or even worse would be him doing it because he's legitimately mad, which is sort of the move Getzlaf and Perry always pull when they're losing. They take stupid penalties which guarantee their team loses the game.

Old
08-31-2013, 02:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I just hope he doesn't start to get a bad habit like that. "Oh, the game is out of hand. Guess I'd better start some **** so everybody knows I'm competing!" or even worse would be him doing it because he's legitimately mad, which is sort of the move Getzlaf and Perry always pull when they're losing. They take stupid penalties which guarantee their team loses the game.
There is a time and a place for that and a 6-0 whitewashing would be message sending time. Getzlaf and Perry do it too often when the game is still in doubt is the more laughable part. But a fight at the very end of blowout isn't something I am too concerned with as long as he doesn't hurt himself. By the way only guy that didn't get hit with the instigator or misconduct in that end of game dust up.

http://www.theqmjhl.ca/schedule/show/game/65324

Old
08-31-2013, 05:57 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I'd much rather have guys like Perry and Getzlaf sending messages at the end of the game because theyre genuinely pissed about losing than have Franzen going through the motions with his big body.

Old
09-01-2013, 04:39 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Tvrdon had a shorty as Giants won 4-2.

Old
09-01-2013, 09:36 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Tvrdon had a shorty as Giants won 4-2.
Is he spending another year in the WHL? I thought he was going to GR this year?

Old
09-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Is he spending another year in the WHL? I thought he was going to GR this year?
Yeah me too?? I'm disappointed.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:01 AM
ChadS

I'm surprised too but is it the final decision for sure? He was at their camp as well, though.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Martin said the Red Wings haven’t predetermined where Tvrdon will start the season, and will wait to see how he grades out in their training camp.

“The player will decide,” Martin said. “If he’s ready physically and mentally for the rigours of the pro game, he’ll show that.

“We assess every player situation differently. We want to put him in the best possible environment to succeed.

“We don’t want a kid sitting in street clothes all the time in Grand Rapids. If that’s happening, then we need to look if he’s better off in the ECHL or back in junior. “

The Red Wings did have Tvrdon practice regularly with that AHL team, the Grand Rapids Griffins, throughout their run to the Calder Cup championship, so that should help their read on him.

Martin did admit that there was concern about how much hockey he’s missed with the Giants. Throw in a shoulder surgery as a rookie and Tvrdon played just 90 of a possible 216 regular season games with Vancouver over three years.

“That’s tough for anybody,” aid Martin.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/07...e-destination/

Old
09-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I'd much rather have guys like Perry and Getzlaf sending messages at the end of the game because theyre genuinely pissed about losing than have Franzen going through the motions with his big body.
Definitely, enough of the new age power forwards who play with no power or passion.

Old
09-01-2013, 11:06 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Definitely, enough of the new age power forwards who play with no power or passion.
Yep and even though Mantha apparently doesnt, he still managed to find himself in 5 fights last year. He seems more like the type that will do it when something really blatant happens but kind of like Ouellet having guys who will fight 5 times a year when they need to helps build team toughness

Old
09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
joe89

Quote:
I think ECHL would be way better than juniors. There he'll learn the pro basics just fine, while he's only a phone call away from the Griffins. Juniors is great for 17-18 year olds, but I don't think it's for 20-21 year olds looking to make the NHL.

Old
09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I think ECHL would be way better than juniors. There he'll learn the pro basics just fine, while he's only a phone call away from the Griffins. Juniors is great for 17-18 year olds, but I don't think it's for 20-21 year olds looking to make the NHL.
Is ECHL really better than WHL?

How old can you be in the CHL? Can you be 20..21? and still play there? Like an exception?

Old
09-01-2013, 01:50 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Is ECHL really better than WHL?

How old can you be in the CHL? Can you be 20..21? and still play there? Like an exception?
Yeah, teams are allowed three 20 yr olds on their roster.

Old
09-02-2013, 10:57 AM
StormSurge9

Check out those hands. Athanasiou shows off in a scrimmage.

Old
09-02-2013, 11:04 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSurge9 View Post
Check out those hands. Athanasiou shows off in a scrimmage.

Old
09-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Nevermind.

Old
09-02-2013, 11:51 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Watch for Athanasiou to be on most people's top 5 prospects lists by the end of the year

Old
09-02-2013, 12:58 PM
ChadS

Bertuzzi scored, Nastasiuk had an assist last night. No points for Bäckman in the European Trophy, Janmark didn't play in Sweden's final game and Tvrdon, McNulty and possibly Athanasiou weren't in their team's lineups. The OHL sucks for not having box scores for pre-season games.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:45 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Watch for Athanasiou to be on most people's top 5 prospects lists by the end of the year
I don't put him above Ouellet, Sproul, Bäckman, Jurco, Mantha, Järnrkok and Mrazek basically no matter what he does in juniors... it's just juniors.. if he makes it to WJC and tears it up or does something completely ridiculous like 2 ppg, then maybe but seems highly unlikely.

But riser, he definitely could be.

Old
09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
I don't put him above Ouellet, Sproul, Bäckman, Jurco, Mantha, Järnrkok and Mrazek basically no matter what he does in juniors... it's just juniors.. if he makes it to WJC and tears it up or does something completely ridiculous like 2 ppg, then maybe but seems highly unlikely.

Yeah. I think the more likely thing is "look for everybody to be really excited about his potential by the end of the year."

Old
09-02-2013, 04:19 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

So, you wouldn't put him ahead of Mantha and Sproul and Ouellet -- guys who've only played in juniors --- even if he tore it up, because it's just juniors?

Athanasiou has almost everything you could physically want in a prospect.
He's 6'2, 200, according to the Barrie Colts website.
He's got unbelievable speed and agility.
He's got great hands.

Now, there's a chance he goes and Lofberg's his career.
But to me, we're looking at at a 4th line speedy winger with decent size -- at worst.
At best -- star player.

I like Jurco, for example. But can someone tell me what Jurco has that Athanasiou doesn't have?
The only thing I can think of is that Jurco didn't start his Red Wings "career" with questions about his attitude.

Talk to anyone who watched Barrie last year. Nobody questions this guy's attitude in Barrie.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:23 PM
EliHomsi
Rookie User

Send a message via Yahoo to EliHomsi
Hi
Red Wings Detroit

Old
09-02-2013, 06:18 PM
StormSurge9

I watched Bertuzzi at the Storm's pre-season game in Guelph today. He looked pretty good. His yapping/getting under people's skin looked to be in mid-season form already.

When Bertuzzi showed up to Storm camp as a 16 year old, he measured about 5'9" and just over 150lbs, now before starting his third season, he measured 6'1" and 187 lbs when they showed up a fitness testing.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:04 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
So, you wouldn't put him ahead of Mantha and Sproul and Ouellet -- guys who've only played in juniors --- even if he tore it up, because it's just juniors?
Ouellet played in WJC. Mantha might get there too. Sproul was selected the CHL D-man of the year. Mantha scored 50 goals on his draft year.. not many players have done that and it's pretty impressive list.

I also said maybe if he tore it up. But he would have to have great, great season and show more tools.

Bc it's not as much about how good season AA2 has but what kind of tools he shows. How he projects in NHL. etc.

Sproul, Ouellet and Jurco have better skillset imo and project better to me. Get little benefit of the doubt bc they were higher picks. Though AA2 is little at disadvantage bc he is late birthday, Jurco and Ouellet had better respective seasons before and after draft. Sproul too.

AA2 might have better season but that still doesn't necessarily mean that he would be better as a pro; that is pretty much all I care about.

Quote:
Athanasiou has almost everything you could physically want in a prospect.
He's 6'2, 200, according to the Barrie Colts website.
He's got unbelievable speed and agility.
He's got great hands.

Now, there's a chance he goes and Lofberg's his career.
But to me, we're looking at at a 4th line speedy winger with decent size -- at worst.
At best -- star player.

I like Jurco, for example. But can someone tell me what Jurco has that Athanasiou doesn't have?
The only thing I can think of is that Jurco didn't start his Red Wings "career" with questions about his attitude.

Talk to anyone who watched Barrie last year. Nobody questions this guy's attitude in Barrie.
Hockey sense sucks, poor at using his linemates.

I agree that he is pretty much lock to make NHL at some capacity.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSurge9 View Post
I watched Bertuzzi at the Storm's pre-season game in Guelph today. He looked pretty good. His yapping/getting under people's skin looked to be in mid-season form already.

When Bertuzzi showed up to Storm camp as a 16 year old, he measured about 5'9" and just over 150lbs, now before starting his third season, he measured 6'1" and 187 lbs when they showed up a fitness testing.
How is his skating these days?

Closed Thread