HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Athanasiou has almost everything you could physically want in a prospect.
He's 6'2, 200, according to the Barrie Colts website.
He's got unbelievable speed and agility.
He's got great hands.

Talk to anyone who watched Barrie last year. Nobody questions this guy's attitude in Barrie.
Physicaly hes got it all. Mentally is where the questions are. He doesnt have great hockey sense and on talent alone e isnt going to be a scorer in the NHL. As for the attitude thing, no one saw a problem in Barrie but that could also be because everything was going his way and he was on a good team. He turned himself into a pretty solid prospect especially for where he was drafted but theres still a lot of question marks and it would be almost impossible for him to be a top 5 prospect after this season.

I wonder what Hockey Canada's reason for not inviting him to Jr camp was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
How is his skating these days?
His skating has always been considered solid. And I do like hearing hes 6'1 and almost 190 lbs. Add another 10 lbs and he'll actually be pretty big for the role he would be playing in the pros. I wonder if the season after this upcoming one if he could get considered for that energy role on team Canada

Old
09-03-2013, 11:15 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
How is his skating these days?
It's not bad, he skates fairly well. He's also seem to have adjusted to his size gain quite well. Doesn't seem like he has lost much speed/agility despite growing 4-5 inches and almost 40 lbs.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:18 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSurge9 View Post
It's not bad, he skates fairly well. He's also seem to have adjusted to his size gain quite well. Doesn't seem like he has lost much speed/agility despite growing 4-5 inches and almost 40 lbs.
Does he look a legitimate 6'1, 187 lbs do you think or is Guelph exaggerating that a bit?

Old
09-03-2013, 12:20 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Does he look a legitimate 6'1, 187 lbs do you think or is Guelph exaggerating that a bit?
It's legit. The height is easy to tell because I have stood near him. The weight is a little tougher to judge since I have only seen him in pads, but he does look bigger than last season so I would assume that 187lbs is right, or at least very close.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:10 PM
newfy

Hadnt seen this video yet might be posted somewhere but for all the heat Bertuzzi was getting and being called an idiot for fighting in practice, it doesnt look like he instigated this one anymore than Jensen did. Jensen did look like he kind of knew what he was doing though which is nice!

Old
09-04-2013, 11:49 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
So, you wouldn't put him ahead of Mantha and Sproul and Ouellet -- guys who've only played in juniors --- even if he tore it up, because it's just juniors?

Athanasiou has almost everything you could physically want in a prospect.
He's 6'2, 200, according to the Barrie Colts website.
He's got unbelievable speed and agility.
He's got great hands.

Now, there's a chance he goes and Lofberg's his career.
But to me, we're looking at at a 4th line speedy winger with decent size -- at worst.
At best -- star player.

I like Jurco, for example. But can someone tell me what Jurco has that Athanasiou doesn't have?
The only thing I can think of is that Jurco didn't start his Red Wings "career" with questions about his attitude.

Talk to anyone who watched Barrie last year. Nobody questions this guy's attitude in Barrie.
Why was he drafted so late if he's as good as or better than jurco?

Old
09-04-2013, 12:00 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Why was he drafted so late if he's as good as or better than jurco?
Because Jurco's in a whole other stratosphere compared to him.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:06 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

I'll be at the prospects tournament Thursday and Friday, what kind of updates do you guys want?

Old
09-04-2013, 12:09 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
I'll be at the prospects tournament Thursday and Friday, what kind of updates do you guys want?
I wouldnt mind just hearing who stands out to you as good or bad while watching, that way you can just watch the games and if you keep noticing someone itll be easier for ya!

I wouldnt mind hearing about Bertuzzi too since he seems like the most controversial pick by the wings in a long time

Old
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

What's the news on Jensen's shoulder?

Old
09-04-2013, 01:09 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Four guys most interested in are sproul ouellet. Things like how they play in regards to who looks most at ease comfortable etc.. Not so much do they stand out I want to know how they look against their piers in regards to who is ahead of the other in being more calm etc..

Next two are for sure Ferraro and Pulkkinen.

Both showed a little in ahl and believe with full years they can be big factors for us.

I know is others who have shown up I am most concerned about Pulkkinen had a debate other day on him where someone says cant skate.

What I watched of the games last year he played in before being benched for nyquist doesnt agree or add up to that at all. He started slowly and by time nyquist was there he was creating as much offensive opportunity as Tatar was. I think his skating is fine.

So if you can give your evaluations in regards to these areas I would be super happy

Of course anything else to add on who outshines or stands out etc.. and why is always good to hear etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
What's the news on Jensen's shoulder?
I have heard nothing besides he wont be at camp.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
I would love your take on Nastasiuk and McNulty, especially Nasty's skating. Apart from that, just general impressions about who looks better than advertised based on reported weaknesses and what not. Thanks in advance and enjoy the tournament.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:27 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Hadnt seen this video yet might be posted somewhere but for all the heat Bertuzzi was getting and being called an idiot for fighting in practice, it doesnt look like he instigated this one anymore than Jensen did. Jensen did look like he kind of knew what he was doing though which is nice!

Cross check then piling him onto the goalie, think Jensen had enough.

Jensen did some of this in the USHL, he gets really touchy about his goalie. Think he was okay trading whacks and hacks between the two of them, pushing him up onto the goalie then driving him down was the end of that, forced his hand.

A little disappointed by the staff guy (Chelios?) that looked like he was going to break it up pretty quickly, this is why you should do that when teammates fight as Jensen is now on the shelf.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:19 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Physicaly hes got it all. Mentally is where the questions are. He doesnt have great hockey sense and on talent alone e isnt going to be a scorer in the NHL. As for the attitude thing, no one saw a problem in Barrie but that could also be because everything was going his way and he was on a good team. He turned himself into a pretty solid prospect especially for where he was drafted but theres still a lot of question marks and it would be almost impossible for him to be a top 5 prospect after this season.

I wonder what Hockey Canada's reason for not inviting him to Jr camp was
I think you're still underselling him.
He's done more than turn himself into a "solid prospect for where he was drafted."
In terms of upside, he may be the Wings' top forward prospect. But the great thing about him is that even if he doesn't make it as an elite player, he can make it as an energy line guy.

He should be on Barrie's first line and first PP unit. My guess is that he's going to have more points than any OHL prospect we've had for a long time.

If healthy, I'll say 35-to-45 goals, 85-95 points

His skating has always been considered solid. And I do like hearing hes 6'1 and almost 190 lbs. Add another 10 lbs and he'll actually be pretty big for the role he would be playing in the pros. I wonder if the season after this upcoming one if he could get considered for that energy role on team Canada[/QUOTE]

Barrie lists him at 6'2 now.

Interesting, too, is that he's 1 month and 10 days older than Mantha.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:21 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Former Red Wings prospect Evan McGrath seems to be doing well in Sweden
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=71768

Any Swedish hockey watchers have any thoughts on him?

Old
09-04-2013, 04:28 PM
ChadS

1G 1A and a +3 for Janmark in their 4-0 pre-season win over Södertälje. He played on the wing and I think he'll stay there due to AIK signing center Teemu Ramstedt a while back. They were linemates tonight and apparently played very well together. Björn Melin was the other winger on their line.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:50 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:

Well that is the 2nd tier of Swedish hockey, so I would hope he can get some numbers at that level. Be interesting to see what he does with Frolunda this year in the SHL.

Old
09-04-2013, 05:08 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
quick and dirty impressions are best.

Either that or a longwinded, meandering soliloquy about why alcohol consuming prospects need to learn what it means to be a Red Wing.

Old
09-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Townsend Beasley
Mission to Civilize

Quote:
quick and dirty impressions are best.

Either that or a longwinded, meandering soliloquy about why alcohol consuming prospects need to learn what it means to be a Red Wing.
I lol'd!

Old
09-06-2013, 05:08 PM
ChadS

A goal and assist for Janmark in their 7-1 win over SSK.

Old
09-06-2013, 05:29 PM
joe89

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Well that is the 2nd tier of Swedish hockey, so I would hope he can get some numbers at that level. Be interesting to see what he does with Frolunda this year in the SHL.
McGrath has been a top player in the SEL-2 for a few years, won the scoring race last year. Interesting spot for him right now, playing on a line with Wennberg and Collberg in the preseason.

Old
09-08-2013, 02:24 AM
ChadS

Pope had a goal and assist in their second regular season game last night. No points on Friday.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:56 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Is Ryan Sproul Ahead of the Curve?

Quote:
Ryan Sproul is going to be with the Red Wings sooner than the average Detroit prospect.

While NHL hockey fans have grown used to Detroit allowing the vast majority of their prospects to ripen and sometimes over-ripen in the minors before graduating them to the pro team, a few prospects have broken that mold. Sproul could very well be the next exception.
Read more

Old
09-09-2013, 03:14 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHabs View Post
He will not play in the NHL this season unless we have like 4 injuries on defense. He may get a couple games next season, but doubt it. 2015 could ve his season.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Sproul is maybe ahead the "curve" offensively, but behind the "curve" defensively.

There's still a lot of work to do in his case.

I'm a big Sproul fan, but I don't want that they will bring him up too early. Then he could produce great points, still being horrible defensively. Because of that great scoring, his agent will demand instantly a high salary and he becomes overpaid against his overall play. I don't want to see that.

Bring him in when he is ready defensively. Offensively, he will be a beast from day 1.

Closed Thread