HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
If we decide to trade Stastny mid season or near the trade deadline, we are not getting a top pairing defenseman, maybe a #4 but even that is unlikely.

We have to accept that we are probably getting picks and prospect for Stastny if we trade him.
They don't have to trade Stastny by himself. They can add picks and prospects/roster players to him and have a nice package.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
I am guilty of overrating our prospects, but I don't want to trade any of them Would rather put together a package of roster players like Stastny + Wilson

Old
07-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Freaky Styley

I'm a huge Stastny fan, but this year is definitely the time to trade him. I hope we don't wait to the deadline, but if we do and could manage to get a good D that will be a UFA then I'm all in for it. If we do trade him in the offseason, we will need to sign a winger or something to fill the hole.

If we do let him walk, I would want us to go after Vanek pretty aggressively.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:18 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

I'm still holding out hope that once they end up together a line with Stastny, Radar and Landy would just take over as our de facto first line the way the LO'RD line did, which is a scenario in which both Staz and Ryan could want to re-sign, and if we can keep all 4 centers and one of them excels on the wing I'd love that.

The D won't be great, but we have a lot of defensive prospects on the way to join EJ, Barrie and Hejda, so with our picks and prospects we could be able to upgrade Wilson for a legit top 4 guy, which would put the D in a fine position as Stef, Duncan and Bigras join the party.

Let's us aim for a future lineup of
Radar-Staz-Landy
McGinn-Dutchy-Parenteau
Sgar-Mac-Downie

Barrie/Wilson+ - EJ
Hejda/Siemens - Barrie/Elliott
Siemens/Bigras - Benoit

Old
07-07-2013, 01:22 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
New Jersey trades Henrik Tallinder to the Sabres for Riley Boychuk.

Wish we could find some team looking to cap dump one of their D. Tallinder has regressed big time. But you could hit the jackpot.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:52 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I'm a huge Stastny fan, but this year is definitely the time to trade him. I hope we don't wait to the deadline, but if we do and could manage to get a good D that will be a UFA then I'm all in for it. If we do trade him in the offseason, we will need to sign a winger or something to fill the hole.

If we do let him walk, I would want us to go after Vanek pretty aggressively.
Teams that still need a #2 center or better are,

Toronto / Phaneuf of Gardiner
Anaheim / Sbisa, other than that they actually need top 4 D like we do. I'm not even really sure about Sbisa, hasn't shown much to be honest.
Winnipeg / Besides Enstrom, or not even remotely realistic Trouba, there is nothing I want there.
Nashville / Can't see them moving Josi, and everyone else realistic is pretty much on Barrie & Elliott's level or worse.

Sucks that two of those teams are in our Conference (Still feels weird to say that instead of division). And there just isn't a great fit...

If Philly wants futures or a winger like McGinn, Coburn may be possible still. Beyond that there just isn't really very many teams who are looking for a #2 center and have what we need.

Looks bleak IMO...

Old
07-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post

Anaheim / Sbisa, other than that they actually need top 4 D like we do.
Winnipeg / Besides Enstrom, or not even remotely realistic Trouba, there is nothing I want there.
Nashville / Can't see them moving Josi, and everyone else realistic is pretty much on Barrie & Elliott's level or worse.

Sucks that two of those teams are in our Conference (Still feels weird to say that instead of division). And there just isn't a great fit...

If Philly wants futures or a winger like McGinn, Coburn may be possible still. Beyond that there just isn't really very many teams who are looking for a #2 center and have what we need.

Looks bleak IMO...
Ya, after I posted that I did the same check myself. I'm still praying for Coburn though, players like him don't come available that often, especially when a GM doesn't have much leverage. Like I keep saying, he could be our #3D for a long time, sort of like Hjalmarsson

Old
07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
New Jersey trades Henrik Tallinder to the Sabres for Riley Boychuk.

Wish we could find some team looking to cap dump one of their D. Tallinder has regressed big time. But you could hit the jackpot.
Wish we could find a team willing to take our dumps (Hunwick/Sarich).

Still holding out hope that Mitchell gets moved. Malone can be the 4C and with Sgar and Hishon in LEM, we have options if injury issues arise. Just seems like we could get a better value in a return than sticking him on the 4th line when he is not much of a grit guy or a pk guy.

07-07-2013, 01:59 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

Quote:

Anaheim / Sbisa, other than that they actually need top 4 D like we do. I'm not even really sure about Sbisa, hasn't shown much to be honest.

Looks bleak IMO...
Staz isn't the only the way for us to add a top 4 dman to step in for Wilson. We've got our picks and prospects to add to Wilson as teams need to trim down salary. If we just get a nice upgrade on Wilson our top 4 isn't awful at all. That's why I'm all for giving Philly a lesser but cheaper dman in wilson, a 2nd round pick and one of our goalies or maybe even Hishon/Sgar for Coburn.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Averick*

Quote:

Looks bleak IMO...
It doesn't have to be restricted to a #2 center. The Blackhawks and Bruins were continuously lauded for going 3 and 4 lines deep.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:12 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averick View Post
It doesn't have to be restricted to a #2 center. The Blackhawks and Bruins were continuously lauded for going 3 and 4 lines deep.
Uh... if he was being acquired for that role, it's going to be for a package of complete futures and most likely at the deadline to a contender. On top of that we're retaining a massive amount of his salary to even get that.

The black Hawks are **** at center outside of Toews and Shaw, so not sure what you're talking about there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Staz isn't the only the way for us to add a top 4 dman to step in for Wilson. We've got our picks and prospects to add to Wilson as teams need to trim down salary. If we just get a nice upgrade on Wilson our top 4 isn't awful at all. That's why I'm all for giving Philly a lesser but cheaper dman in wilson, a 2nd round pick and one of our goalies or maybe even Hishon/Sgar for Coburn.
I totally agree, but I think that's a little light for Coburn personally.

I was mostly referring to the idea of trading Stastny for a defender being fairly limited, no where did I say that was our only option, and I also mentioned using other assets to acquire Coburn. Phoenix still needs cheap young wingers, so McGinn + 2014 1st + could still possibly work for Yandle as well.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:38 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:

Looks bleak IMO...
Caps too.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:46 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
They don't have to trade Stastny by himself. They can add picks and prospects/roster players to him and have a nice package.
At the deadline we can't.

Right now can you think of a team that needs a #2C, making 6.6M and that would be willing to trade a top pairing defenseman to get him???

Old
07-07-2013, 03:05 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Caps too.
Ahh that's right forgot about them, we'd have to retain as much salary as possible IMO. They're up against it with Alzner and Johansson to sign, and about 8M in cap space.

They'd be a pretty good fit for a trade on our side, but I don't think you can expect them to give up the quality of defender we need for Stastny.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:35 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Ahh that's right forgot about them, we'd have to retain as much salary as possible IMO. They're up against it with Alzner and Johansson to sign, and about 8M in cap space.

They'd be a pretty good fit for a trade on our side, but I don't think you can expect them to give up the quality of defender we need for Stastny.
And seems like Kuznetsov is finally coming over after KHL season is done.

Base salary is ofc under 1 mil but I the bonuses bring it pretty close to the max. allowed.

And yeah, they are looking to add top LD so I think trade with them is fairly unlikely.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:04 PM
tucker3434

So, Hainsey or Whitney? Seems like there's got to be at least one more defensive move. Do either of these guys have enough left in the tank to play top 4? I'd think they'd be willing to accept a short term deal.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
So, Hainsey or Whitney? Seems like there's got to be at least one more defensive move. Do either of these guys have enough left in the tank to play top 4? I'd think they'd be willing to accept a short term deal.

Hainsey is only 32. Having enough left in the tank shouldn't be an issue. He shouldn't be more than a #3 or 4 on a good team though. Which we aren't. So he should be fine.

Doubt we make anymore moves though.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Whitney's legs are gone, to quote at least one sportswriter. He's not really NHL caliber anymore. Injuries have made him about as fast as a legless Ryan O'Byrne.

As for Hainsey...nah. I thought the Avs should at least consider it since better free agents signed elsewhere. But he is, at best, a bottom-pairing defender who is terrible in his own end. At this point it just feels like signing someone for the sake of signing someone.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Avs71

If Stastny is traded at the deadline, it is because the Avs are out of playoff contention. In which case, getting a 1st+prospect will be fine, because at that the point the season will be too far gone and getting that defenceman won't matter till the off-season.

Regardless, he won't be the one to fix the defensive problems.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Hainsey is only 32. Having enough left in the tank shouldn't be an issue. He shouldn't be more than a #3 or 4 on a good team though. Which we aren't. So he should be fine.

I don't know much about Hainsey, but if that's true I'd want him on our team. Because we would be a pretty good team.. Great top 9 and

Wilson-Johnson
Hejda/Hainsey-Barrie
Sarich-/Hejda/Hainsey

I expect Barrie, Hejda and Hainsey to be able to play a #3-4 role. The problem is, we need a top pairing and a solid #2-3 pairing defense men. Whether one of our prospects turns into one is yet to be determined, it's looking good though. This year's group of D is looking questionable at best, even more so without Hainsey. Hopefully some of the prospects have a good training camp.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:13 PM
shadow1

Ryan Whitney is done, he looked like Tomas Kaberle did in Montreal last season.

Ron Hainsey is okay and wouldn't be a bad pick-up at the right price. But he doesn't excel in any one area, his offense is diminishing and his defensive positioning is questionable enough that I could very easily see him being a pylon by the end of whatever deal he signs.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:14 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post

Anyone who would be a legit 3/4 on a good team, would be a big upgrade for us.

I don't want to sign just for the sake of a signing, but if one of these guys can help and is willing to sign a 1/2 year deal, I'd be pretty happy with it.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
At the deadline we can't.
Why not? Not that I think they should wait till the deadline.

Quote:
Right now can you think of a team that needs a #2C, making 6.6M and that would be willing to trade a top pairing defenseman to get him???
It's impossible to know what kind of player and contract a GM is willing to take on until they do it. With the crazy numbers thrown around this summer, and the fact that they only have to swallow one year at that number, and can negotiate with him until next summer on a new deal helps.

Again he shouldn't be the only piece in a trade. Of course he's not going to bring in a top pairing defenseman by himself. They need to entice a GM with added pieces, and see what they can get. It doesn't have to be a home run top pairing defenseman, and they don't have to use Stastny in that trade. They can trade him for assets and add those assets to the package for a defenseman.

There's many ways to go about this, and it depends on what the other GM wants, and what kind of player is coming back this way.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:10 AM
DRL

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
When you look at cap geek you can see there are so many teams right up against the cap. If the avs continue to be patient, they can really take advantage here.

Sherman really set the team up for this summer.

I still except the avs to pick up a few more pieces before the season starts.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:14 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Why not? Not that I think they should wait till the deadline.

It's impossible to know what kind of player and contract a GM is willing to take on until they do it. With the crazy numbers thrown around this summer, and the fact that they only have to swallow one year at that number, and can negotiate with him until next summer on a new deal helps.

Again he shouldn't be the only piece in a trade. Of course he's not going to bring in a top pairing defenseman by himself. They need to entice a GM with added pieces, and see what they can get. It doesn't have to be a home run top pairing defenseman, and they don't have to use Stastny in that trade. They can trade him for assets and add those assets to the package for a defenseman.

There's many ways to go about this, and it depends on what the other GM wants, and what kind of player is coming back this way.
At the deadline a team trading for Stastny is expecting to go deep in the playoffs and those teams are not going to give up a top 4 defenseman at that point.

Obviously we can't possibly know what goes inside a GM's head, but we can look around the league and have an idea of what teams might be looking for a top centerman. And right now, there are not many.

At this point, i'd venture to say that other players and/or prospets would give us a better chance at a top 4 than Stastny.

I think Roy should be paying attention to the teams that need to sheed salary and see if he can get a good deal. If he can't them he could possibly go for a guy like Hainsey, a guy that is no more than a #4 at this point, but would give us more depht (for 2 years max).

Closed Thread