HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Oiler fans are very entertaining because they seem to constantly be upset their young players are being disrespected.

I guess their entire organization has been all about acquiring these young players for the last five years, so they are very protective of them, even if it's just in pointless HF polls.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
It sucks having to be militant in these types of situations but sometimes you just have to give Oilers fans a taste of their own medicine.
Or, you could just ignore them and let time open their eyes.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:19 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
They might have tried. We'll probably never know, since he chose to stay put.
I'll believe that because I love optimism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Sounds about right. 6mil open market, 5-5.5 from us as a hometown discount with term to his contract.

But I'd like to see if we can slot him on Duchy or Mack's LW before moving him or ROR. I still think there's potential to create a SJS or LAK dynamic where our skilled centers adapt to wing when needed and give us some good flexibility in the lineup.

If that happens, I'd like to keep them all for a little bit longer, even if we have to sign ROR for a little extra cash, he could be worth a lot later or Staz could.
I'd like to keep both also. between the two of them, one will work on the wing because their styles are both versatile.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
07-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
It sucks having to be militant in these types of situations but sometimes you just have to give Oilers fans a taste of their own medicine.
You know what arguing on the internet and the Special Olympics have in common?

Old
07-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
You know what arguing on the internet and the Special Olympics have in common?
Unbridled joy when you win?

Old
07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I have the most posts in that thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Unbridled joy when you win?

Old
07-08-2013, 05:30 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Thoughts on Brendan Smith's potential? (Starting to look at potential top pairing guys now since the market looks to be drying up.)

There are some really good prospects out there, but none seem as available and NHL ready as Smith. I know he under performed this year, but he is still young.

I wouldn't expect him to start day 1 as a top pairing guy, but I think he'd be a suitable fill in once Wilson is injured.

Fortunately I think EJ could pair well with either a PMD type partner or a shut down partner. As long as EJ knows what his role is, I think he could be great as either the more defensively responsible partner or the more offensive minded partner of a top pairing. He has had to try and be both the last few years, and I think it hurts his play overall trying to do too much.

Old
07-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Oiler fans are very entertaining because they seem to constantly be upset their young players are being disrespected.

I guess their entire organization has been all about acquiring these young players for the last five years, so they are very protective of them, even if it's just in pointless HF polls.
They are, hands down, the most insecure fanbase in the league. I remember a thread about Mackinnon on the prospects board that suddenly became the "Taylor Hall is better" thread because someone made the mistake of comparing the potential of the two players.

Old
07-08-2013, 05:43 PM
hughdreamz

Why hasn't a team offer sheeted the Wings' Nyquist or Smith yet?

Old
07-08-2013, 05:46 PM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

I understand that obviously both fan bases are being homers in that thread but good God with the Jeff Petry love of some Oil fans... x10 the defenceman Erik Johnson is?

On another note, how did Petry manage to have a -31 in 38 games in Michigan State in 08-09?

Old
07-08-2013, 05:49 PM
chet1926

That Oilers-Avs thread about the better core, is just mind blowingly stupid.

When Oiler fans making comments like Hall>>>Duchene, you know its just going to be bad. Hall is a good player but Duchene is every bit as good as him at this point in their careers, and Duchene is the far more complete player. Hall might be slightly better offensively but Duchene plays a harder position and is actually capable of playing defense and PK.

The fact of the matter is that both teams have interesting cores but completely different cores. I'd much prefer our core to their core. Centers are much more important than wingers. Both teams have some interesting defensive prospects, its tough to gauge how they compare. And the Avs are much deeper at the goalie positon.

I'll take Duchene, Landeskog MacKinnon, ROR, Johnson, Varly as our core and Barrie, Elliott, Siemens, Bigras, Hishon, Sgarbossa, Smith, Bourke, Pickard, Aitto etc as our prospects any time over what Edmonton currently has.

Old
07-08-2013, 05:49 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
Why hasn't a team offer sheeted the Wings' Nyquist or Smith yet?
Why are we obsessed with this offer sheet thing?? How many player have signed one and how many times a team hasn't matched??

Old
07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Why are we obsessed with this offer sheet thing?? How many player have signed one and how many times a team hasn't matched??
Its more about Asset to value ratio vs a trade/FA. Offer sheets seem more appealing right now due to the cap issues many teams face.

Granted:
1) the player has to want to sign it
2) the value has to be reasonable (crazy Oil fans saying they'd give 8M to Stepan)
3) the other team has to be in a position to make hard choices

Lots of factors at play, but seems to me to be a low risk attempt at improving our team, and that is the only team I care about getting better.

McDonagh at his new deal is a steal IMO, and IF by chance the Avs could have acquired him by giving an offersheet for 1M more per year I think it would have been a guaranteed love fest for our new regime.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:11 PM
TheStranger

I don't know why people think we can afford an offersheet. If you add an 8 million dollar player to this roster, it's pretty sketchy situation for next offseason.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Why hasn't anyone signed Hainsey or White?

Old
07-08-2013, 06:32 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Its more about Asset to value ratio vs a trade/FA. Offer sheets seem more appealing right now due to the cap issues many teams face.

Granted:
1) the player has to want to sign it
2) the value has to be reasonable (crazy Oil fans saying they'd give 8M to Stepan)
3) the other team has to be in a position to make hard choices

Lots of factors at play, but seems to me to be a low risk attempt at improving our team, and that is the only team I care about getting better.

McDonagh at his new deal is a steal IMO, and IF by chance the Avs could have acquired him by giving an offersheet for 1M more per year I think it would have been a guaranteed love fest for our new regime.
I understand that it would be an easy way to improve our team, but to me it seems like a waste of time to be counting/hoping for it as it rarely happens in the NHL... or like proposing a sign and trade.

There is no way the Rangers doesn't match an offer sheet if its for 5.7M per year like you proposed.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
Probably weighing their options.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Hainsey was a union rep?

Old
07-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Dutchy09*

Quote:
Seems like it's been relatively quite so far. Still a few decent names out there, really hoping they can nab a Dman.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:51 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averick View Post
Hainsey was a union rep?
A union rep, nah bro.....he was the head player of the union. Though there were countless reports he was a very professionally when it got heated. Much better than Toews lack of respect and whining about Bettman that was beyond the facepalm worthy smile face on this site.

Brenden Smith can be described in three scenarios.

A) He has a body of Erik Johnson
B) He is softer than Stoa
C) His defensive game is worse than Elliotts.

= Do not want at all. Nyquist is a totally different story, he is going to be a very good player no doubt.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:02 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
A union rep, nah bro.....he was the head player of the union. Though there were countless reports he was a very professionally when it got heated. Much better than Toews lack of respect and whining about Bettman that was beyond the facepalm worthy smile face on this site.

= Do not want at all. Nyquist is a totally different story, he is going to be a very good player no doubt.
He must be really bad then. I wonder why Babcock played him at all.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

I sense your lack of punctuation has voided your post of its meaning.

Also, I don't think most owners care about how professional player's union reps are.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:10 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
He must be really bad then. I wonder why Babcock played him at all.
Lidstrom retired, and all that was left on the bench was Smith, Quincey, and Niklas "Flying Leap" Kronwall. #blameholland

Old
07-08-2013, 07:14 PM
the_fan

Quote:
There aren't anymore stupid GM's left in the NHL to over pay this players

Old
07-08-2013, 07:20 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Lidstrom retired, and all that was left on the bench was Smith, Quincey, and Niklas "Flying Leap" Kronwall. #blameholland
Yeah sure... the guy had the 3rd most ice time in the playoffs among Detroit defenders on a team that went to the WCF.

Sorry, but i have a hard time believing he is as bad as you guys are making him out to be.

Closed Thread