HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2013, 07:27 PM
  #201
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,489
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averick View Post
I sense your lack of punctuation has voided your post of its meaning.

Also, I don't think most owners care about how professional player's union reps are.
I think this is the first time I answered somebody's question and got a slap in the face. Don't really know how my post even offended you in the first place.

Who cares what the owners think, fans ultimately have the final action on how they view a player. An example is that I lost a lot of respect for Liles during the lockout due to his lack of professionalism.

Watching Detroit's playoffs last year I bet Red Wing fans got a heart attack every time Babcock put the Quincey-Smith pairing on the ice; they were beyond dreadful.

S E P H is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 07:46 PM
  #202
Gigantor The Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Yeah sure... the guy had the 3rd most ice time in the playoffs among Detroit defenders on a team that went to the WCF.

Sorry, but i have a hard time believing he is as bad as you guys are making him out to be.
Brendan Smith was pretty bad in the playoffs. Guy was awful defensively.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now  
Old
07-08-2013, 08:23 PM
  #203
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
I know he is hated by some people here. But I'd like to take a run at Del Zotto.

Why?

- I think he would be a better fit here than in NYR. (Under Torts at least)
- He is a LD who will improve our PP, and still isn't done developing.
- Rangers has some cap issues.
- He was pretty bad recently, his value is lower than it has been before. Which is kinda why I think we have a shot at getting him without having to give up too much.

I think we should try to find one or two of those players, who will be a better fit here than in their current teams, and has a bad reputation right now which lower their value.

RobinDIF is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 08:39 PM
  #204
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
Why hasn't a team offer sheeted the Wings' Nyquist or Smith yet?
Because no one else has either has the roster space or the cap space to make such a room. Or, if you're the Islanders or similar teams, you don't want to spend any more money.

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 08:49 PM
  #205
AslanRH
Part of the Plan
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
I understand that it would be an easy way to improve our team, but to me it seems like a waste of time to be counting/hoping for it as it rarely happens in the NHL... or like proposing a sign and trade.

There is no way the Rangers doesn't match an offer sheet if its for 5.7M per year like you proposed.
i agree that 5.7 was probably matched

I don't think anyone is counting on it, but hoping maybe. It is an aggressive move that the Avs rarely have made, and IMO eventually will be a big part of FA in the NHL.

An offer sheet of Varlamov would likely have cost less than the trade (if Washington was going to let him go anyway), but did not guarantee obtaining him like the trade did.

Making an offer sheet does not inhibit in any way working other angles to improve, except limiting assets that are certain to be available at a that given time.

__________________
"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
AslanRH is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 08:53 PM
  #206
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,557
vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Quote:
Chris Nichols ‏@Nichols_NHLPool 7 min
Alexander Burmistrov signs two-year contract w/ AkBars of #KHL, per @IgorEronko. #NHLJets
Wow, it really did happen, apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
I think he comes back to the NHL in a couple years. Jets/Thrashers kind of screwed him up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
The thrashers more than anyone. Completely rushed the kid, he'll get traded and come back.

That's a steal for Mc
D2M is right , i think that's a case of rushing a kid to fast in the NHL , He was a high draft choice another " NHL ready" physically but not mentally.

As for Choker and GTG's comments , i'm pretty sure he will return to the NHL one day , but not while Claude NoŽL is still coaching the Jets . There was some frictions between the two man and it's the reason why Burmistrov left Winnipeg.

Frenchy is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 09:03 PM
  #207
AslanRH
Part of the Plan
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Brendan Smith was pretty bad in the playoffs. Guy was awful defensively.
Guy had also only played 48 NHL games in 2 years before the playoffs and is only 24. I'll give him a bit of a waver, but admit he did look very-very-very over matched in the playoffs.

AslanRH is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 09:54 PM
  #208
agentblack
Registered User
 
agentblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
D2M is right , i think that's a case of rushing a kid to fast in the NHL , He was a high draft choice another " NHL ready" physically but not mentally.

As for Choker and GTG's comments , i'm pretty sure he will return to the NHL one day , but not while Claude NoŽL is still coaching the Jets . There was some frictions between the two man and it's the reason why Burmistrov left Winnipeg.
I put my 2 cents in on the thread but yeah he's not coming back to WPG and even if he wanted to in 2 years whatever regime is in place at that time should still trade his rights cause who is too say the next coaching situation will be any better for him. He clearly didnt want to remain a Jet IMO.

agentblack is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 12:46 AM
  #209
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 50
I've gotta say one thing, watching Smith looks like fish out of water in the playoffs and during most of the regular season was funny as hell considering the hype he was getting from the Red Wings fans, seeing them turn on him was even funnier.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 06:23 AM
  #210
DRL
Streak killers!
 
DRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I think this is the first time I answered somebody's question and got a slap in the face. Don't really know how my post even offended you in the first place.

Who cares what the owners think, fans ultimately have the final action on how they view a player. An example is that I lost a lot of respect for Liles during the lockout due to his lack of professionalism.

Watching Detroit's playoffs last year I bet Red Wing fans got a heart attack every time Babcock put the Quincey-Smith pairing on the ice; they were beyond dreadful.
What did liles do?

DRL is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 06:25 AM
  #211
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I've gotta say one thing, watching Smith looks like fish out of water in the playoffs and during most of the regular season was funny as hell considering the hype he was getting from the Red Wings fans, seeing them turn on him was even funnier.
And yet he had the 3rd most ice time in the playoffs?? Babcock is either really dumb or a genius.

iceberg is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:06 AM
  #212
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
And yet he had the 3rd most ice time in the playoffs?? Babcock is either really dumb or a genius.
Not much other options.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:22 AM
  #213
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Not much other options.
Sure...

Quote:
The play of defensemen Brendan Smith and Dan DeKeyser have made Ian White and Carlo Colaiacovo superfluous in Detroit.
Detroit News
So i guess Mike Babcock is the greatest coach ever in all of sports.

If Elliott > Smith and Hunwick > Elliott and Elliott didn't even make the Avs defense and we had one of the worst defenses in the league. I guess Detroit's D is even worse than ours.

iceberg is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:31 AM
  #214
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,663
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Sure...



So i guess Mike Babcock is the greatest coach ever in all of sports.

If Elliott > Smith and Hunwick > Elliott and Elliott didn't even make the Avs defense and we had one of the worst defenses in the league. I guess Detroit's D is even worse than ours.
Or Sacco is a better coach than Babcock!!!

__________________
Call for the Priest, I'm Dying!
Bubba Thudd is online now  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:49 AM
  #215
AslanRH
Part of the Plan
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
And yet he had the 3rd most ice time in the playoffs?? Babcock is either really dumb or a genius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Not much other options.
I think the talent and tools are there, and he will turn into a good player. Not sure he'll ever reach top pairing level though. He seemed to be slow to react to situations and that is concerning. I think it will be telling if Detroit makes room for him this year or if they move him. I've learned not to doubt Detroit's instincts regarding player evaluation over the years.

-I did learn that his brother plays for the Mammoth though while reading up on him. (just an interesting tidbit)

The more I read, I think Bigras may end up being quite a good player for us. Most reading I've done mentions his hockey smarts and that he has the tools to be a solid 2-4. (Thinking a better offensive version of Sekera).

So long term I feel more comfortable that the Avs will be defensively solid in 2-3 years. Just going to be sketchy until then since I think some stop gaps will be all we can expect until Siemens and Bigras are ready.

AslanRH is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:49 AM
  #216
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Sure...
Smith has promise but he didn't deliver last year. Expectations were high, too high. He played #3 minutes bc Babcock likes him, Cola (who was coming off injury), Kindl and Quincey weren't really better options there. Well the difference in ice time between Q and Smith wasn't that big as they played on same pairing mostly. Checked that, 5 secs per NHL. com.

Smith and Kindl would have been rookie pairing so Babcock obv. didn't want that.

Kindl wouldn't have been better option there.

So no, there weren't really options.

I though Q was ok at playoffs. Pretty invisible. Meaning no blatant turnovers and brain farts, better than reg. season.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:51 AM
  #217
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I think the talent and tools are there, and he will turn into a good player. Not sure he'll ever reach top pairing level though. He seemed to be slow to react to situations and that is concerning. I think it will be telling if Detroit makes room for him this year or if they move him. I've learned not to doubt Detroit's instincts regarding player evaluation over the years.
Most likely will. Detroit has 7 dman signed and something like 17 forwards.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:02 AM
  #218
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,557
vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
I put my 2 cents in on the thread but yeah he's not coming back to WPG and even if he wanted to in 2 years whatever regime is in place at that time should still trade his rights cause who is too say the next coaching situation will be any better for him. He clearly didnt want to remain a Jet IMO.
The Jets own his right till he'll be 27 , he's 21-22 right now so that leaves a full 5 years . Claude NoŽl wont probably be there in 5 years , so i'm pretty sure he could return with WPG ...a lot can happend in 5 years .

Frenchy is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
  #219
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Smith has promise but he didn't deliver last year. Expectations were high, too high. He played #3 minutes bc Babcock likes him, Cola (who was coming off injury), Kindl and Quincey weren't really better options there. Well the difference in ice time between Q and Smith wasn't that big as they played on same pairing mostly. Checked that, 5 secs per NHL. com.

Smith and Kindl would have been rookie pairing so Babcock obv. didn't want that.

Kindl wouldn't have been better option there.

So no, there weren't really options.

I though Q was ok at playoffs. Pretty invisible. Meaning no blatant turnovers and brain farts, better than reg. season.
I think that is the key, expectations were too high (especially here at HF). I'm sure the guy had his struggles and he has to improve a lot to meet those expectations, and i believe he will be given a chance to do it.

What i duspute is the notion that he was THAT bad, it just doesn't add up if you are going to believe SEPH's "scouting report" on him.

If he was THAT bad, any of those guys you listed, including White and Colaicovo would've been better options than him.

iceberg is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:44 AM
  #220
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
I think that is the key, expectations were too high (especially here at HF). I'm sure the guy had his struggles and he has to improve a lot to meet those expectations, and i believe he will be given a chance to do it.

What i duspute is the notion that he was THAT bad, it just doesn't add up if you are going to believe SEPH's "scouting report" on him.

If he was THAT bad, any of those guys you listed, including White and Colaicovo would've been better options than him.
You are, of course, correct. Smith - and Quincey for that matter - were pretty good in last year's playoffs. Detroit took Chicago to a Game 7 OT in Round 2, and Smith generally played pretty well. He wasn't great, but certainly not terrible. Chicago's forecheck eventually wore them down in a few games in that series, and yes, Smith and Quincey struggled some in those games, but Chicago's forecheck made a lot of teams and their defensemen look kind of bad this season. I believe Ryan Suter and Brooks Orpik are pretty darn good defenders, but neither one looked terribly good against Chicago in the playoffs.

And no bloody way on earth is Elliott better defensively than Smith. Come on.

ABasin is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 09:28 AM
  #221
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
You are, of course, correct. Smith - and Quincey for that matter - were pretty good in last year's playoffs. Detroit took Chicago to a Game 7 OT in Round 2, and Smith generally played pretty well. He wasn't great, but certainly not terrible. Chicago's forecheck eventually wore them down in a few games in that series, and yes, Smith and Quincey struggled some in those games, but Chicago's forecheck made a lot of teams and their defensemen look kind of bad this season. I believe Ryan Suter and Brooks Orpik are pretty darn good defenders, but neither one looked terribly good against Chicago in the playoffs.

And no bloody way on earth is Elliott better defensively than Smith. Come on.
Orpik didn't play against Chicago. And he ain't that good puck mover. Solid defender.. as long as he doesn't have the puck.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 09:39 AM
  #222
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Orpik didn't play against Chicago. And he ain't that good puck mover. Solid defender.. as long as he doesn't have the puck.
Chara looked pretty average in the final three games against Chigado (-6).

And no, i'm not comparing Smith and Chara.

iceberg is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
  #223
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Orpik didn't play against Chicago. And he ain't that good puck mover. Solid defender.. as long as he doesn't have the puck.
Sorry, meant Scuderi there. Having Pittsburgh dyslexia.

Basic point is, Chicago's forecheck made a number of defensemen look bad.

ABasin is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
  #224
m0ngr31
Registered User
 
m0ngr31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Earth.
Posts: 430
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
What did liles do?
The only thing I remember was making fun of Bettman on Twitter

m0ngr31 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
  #225
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the FoCo
Country: United States
Posts: 6,876
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I know he is hated by some people here. But I'd like to take a run at Del Zotto.

Why?

- I think he would be a better fit here than in NYR. (Under Torts at least)
- He is a LD who will improve our PP, and still isn't done developing.
- Rangers has some cap issues.
- He was pretty bad recently, his value is lower than it has been before. Which is kinda why I think we have a shot at getting him without having to give up too much.

I think we should try to find one or two of those players, who will be a better fit here than in their current teams, and has a bad reputation right now which lower their value.
He could come cheaper now then ever. If the alternatives are acquiring him vs doing nothing, that is an obvious choice.

hockeyfish is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.