HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2013, 07:27 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averick View Post
I sense your lack of punctuation has voided your post of its meaning.

Also, I don't think most owners care about how professional player's union reps are.
I think this is the first time I answered somebody's question and got a slap in the face. Don't really know how my post even offended you in the first place.

Who cares what the owners think, fans ultimately have the final action on how they view a player. An example is that I lost a lot of respect for Liles during the lockout due to his lack of professionalism.

Watching Detroit's playoffs last year I bet Red Wing fans got a heart attack every time Babcock put the Quincey-Smith pairing on the ice; they were beyond dreadful.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Yeah sure... the guy had the 3rd most ice time in the playoffs among Detroit defenders on a team that went to the WCF.

Sorry, but i have a hard time believing he is as bad as you guys are making him out to be.
Brendan Smith was pretty bad in the playoffs. Guy was awful defensively.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:23 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
I know he is hated by some people here. But I'd like to take a run at Del Zotto.

Why?

- I think he would be a better fit here than in NYR. (Under Torts at least)
- He is a LD who will improve our PP, and still isn't done developing.
- Rangers has some cap issues.
- He was pretty bad recently, his value is lower than it has been before. Which is kinda why I think we have a shot at getting him without having to give up too much.

I think we should try to find one or two of those players, who will be a better fit here than in their current teams, and has a bad reputation right now which lower their value.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:39 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
Why hasn't a team offer sheeted the Wings' Nyquist or Smith yet?
Because no one else has either has the roster space or the cap space to make such a room. Or, if you're the Islanders or similar teams, you don't want to spend any more money.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:49 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
I understand that it would be an easy way to improve our team, but to me it seems like a waste of time to be counting/hoping for it as it rarely happens in the NHL... or like proposing a sign and trade.

There is no way the Rangers doesn't match an offer sheet if its for 5.7M per year like you proposed.
i agree that 5.7 was probably matched

I don't think anyone is counting on it, but hoping maybe. It is an aggressive move that the Avs rarely have made, and IMO eventually will be a big part of FA in the NHL.

An offer sheet of Varlamov would likely have cost less than the trade (if Washington was going to let him go anyway), but did not guarantee obtaining him like the trade did.

Making an offer sheet does not inhibit in any way working other angles to improve, except limiting assets that are certain to be available at a that given time.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
07-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Quote:
Chris Nichols ‏@Nichols_NHLPool 7 min
Alexander Burmistrov signs two-year contract w/ AkBars of #KHL, per @IgorEronko. #NHLJets
Wow, it really did happen, apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
I think he comes back to the NHL in a couple years. Jets/Thrashers kind of screwed him up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
The thrashers more than anyone. Completely rushed the kid, he'll get traded and come back.

That's a steal for Mc
D2M is right , i think that's a case of rushing a kid to fast in the NHL , He was a high draft choice another " NHL ready" physically but not mentally.

As for Choker and GTG's comments , i'm pretty sure he will return to the NHL one day , but not while Claude NoŽL is still coaching the Jets . There was some frictions between the two man and it's the reason why Burmistrov left Winnipeg.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:03 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Brendan Smith was pretty bad in the playoffs. Guy was awful defensively.
Guy had also only played 48 NHL games in 2 years before the playoffs and is only 24. I'll give him a bit of a waver, but admit he did look very-very-very over matched in the playoffs.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:54 PM
agentblack

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
D2M is right , i think that's a case of rushing a kid to fast in the NHL , He was a high draft choice another " NHL ready" physically but not mentally.

As for Choker and GTG's comments , i'm pretty sure he will return to the NHL one day , but not while Claude NoŽL is still coaching the Jets . There was some frictions between the two man and it's the reason why Burmistrov left Winnipeg.
I put my 2 cents in on the thread but yeah he's not coming back to WPG and even if he wanted to in 2 years whatever regime is in place at that time should still trade his rights cause who is too say the next coaching situation will be any better for him. He clearly didnt want to remain a Jet IMO.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I've gotta say one thing, watching Smith looks like fish out of water in the playoffs and during most of the regular season was funny as hell considering the hype he was getting from the Red Wings fans, seeing them turn on him was even funnier.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:23 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I think this is the first time I answered somebody's question and got a slap in the face. Don't really know how my post even offended you in the first place.

Who cares what the owners think, fans ultimately have the final action on how they view a player. An example is that I lost a lot of respect for Liles during the lockout due to his lack of professionalism.

Watching Detroit's playoffs last year I bet Red Wing fans got a heart attack every time Babcock put the Quincey-Smith pairing on the ice; they were beyond dreadful.
What did liles do?

Old
07-09-2013, 06:25 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I've gotta say one thing, watching Smith looks like fish out of water in the playoffs and during most of the regular season was funny as hell considering the hype he was getting from the Red Wings fans, seeing them turn on him was even funnier.
And yet he had the 3rd most ice time in the playoffs?? Babcock is either really dumb or a genius.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:06 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
And yet he had the 3rd most ice time in the playoffs?? Babcock is either really dumb or a genius.
Not much other options.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:22 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Not much other options.
Sure...

Quote:
The play of defensemen Brendan Smith and Dan DeKeyser have made Ian White and Carlo Colaiacovo superfluous in Detroit.
Detroit News
So i guess Mike Babcock is the greatest coach ever in all of sports.

If Elliott > Smith and Hunwick > Elliott and Elliott didn't even make the Avs defense and we had one of the worst defenses in the league. I guess Detroit's D is even worse than ours.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Sure...

So i guess Mike Babcock is the greatest coach ever in all of sports.

If Elliott > Smith and Hunwick > Elliott and Elliott didn't even make the Avs defense and we had one of the worst defenses in the league. I guess Detroit's D is even worse than ours.
Or Sacco is a better coach than Babcock!!!

07-09-2013, 07:49 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Quote:
Not much other options.
I think the talent and tools are there, and he will turn into a good player. Not sure he'll ever reach top pairing level though. He seemed to be slow to react to situations and that is concerning. I think it will be telling if Detroit makes room for him this year or if they move him. I've learned not to doubt Detroit's instincts regarding player evaluation over the years.

-I did learn that his brother plays for the Mammoth though while reading up on him. (just an interesting tidbit)

The more I read, I think Bigras may end up being quite a good player for us. Most reading I've done mentions his hockey smarts and that he has the tools to be a solid 2-4. (Thinking a better offensive version of Sekera).

So long term I feel more comfortable that the Avs will be defensively solid in 2-3 years. Just going to be sketchy until then since I think some stop gaps will be all we can expect until Siemens and Bigras are ready.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:49 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Sure...
Smith has promise but he didn't deliver last year. Expectations were high, too high. He played #3 minutes bc Babcock likes him, Cola (who was coming off injury), Kindl and Quincey weren't really better options there. Well the difference in ice time between Q and Smith wasn't that big as they played on same pairing mostly. Checked that, 5 secs per NHL. com.

Smith and Kindl would have been rookie pairing so Babcock obv. didn't want that.

Kindl wouldn't have been better option there.

So no, there weren't really options.

I though Q was ok at playoffs. Pretty invisible. Meaning no blatant turnovers and brain farts, better than reg. season.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:51 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I think the talent and tools are there, and he will turn into a good player. Not sure he'll ever reach top pairing level though. He seemed to be slow to react to situations and that is concerning. I think it will be telling if Detroit makes room for him this year or if they move him. I've learned not to doubt Detroit's instincts regarding player evaluation over the years.
Most likely will. Detroit has 7 dman signed and something like 17 forwards.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
I put my 2 cents in on the thread but yeah he's not coming back to WPG and even if he wanted to in 2 years whatever regime is in place at that time should still trade his rights cause who is too say the next coaching situation will be any better for him. He clearly didnt want to remain a Jet IMO.
The Jets own his right till he'll be 27 , he's 21-22 right now so that leaves a full 5 years . Claude NoŽl wont probably be there in 5 years , so i'm pretty sure he could return with WPG ...a lot can happend in 5 years .

Old
07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Smith has promise but he didn't deliver last year. Expectations were high, too high. He played #3 minutes bc Babcock likes him, Cola (who was coming off injury), Kindl and Quincey weren't really better options there. Well the difference in ice time between Q and Smith wasn't that big as they played on same pairing mostly. Checked that, 5 secs per NHL. com.

Smith and Kindl would have been rookie pairing so Babcock obv. didn't want that.

Kindl wouldn't have been better option there.

So no, there weren't really options.

I though Q was ok at playoffs. Pretty invisible. Meaning no blatant turnovers and brain farts, better than reg. season.
I think that is the key, expectations were too high (especially here at HF). I'm sure the guy had his struggles and he has to improve a lot to meet those expectations, and i believe he will be given a chance to do it.

What i duspute is the notion that he was THAT bad, it just doesn't add up if you are going to believe SEPH's "scouting report" on him.

If he was THAT bad, any of those guys you listed, including White and Colaicovo would've been better options than him.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:44 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
I think that is the key, expectations were too high (especially here at HF). I'm sure the guy had his struggles and he has to improve a lot to meet those expectations, and i believe he will be given a chance to do it.

What i duspute is the notion that he was THAT bad, it just doesn't add up if you are going to believe SEPH's "scouting report" on him.

If he was THAT bad, any of those guys you listed, including White and Colaicovo would've been better options than him.
You are, of course, correct. Smith - and Quincey for that matter - were pretty good in last year's playoffs. Detroit took Chicago to a Game 7 OT in Round 2, and Smith generally played pretty well. He wasn't great, but certainly not terrible. Chicago's forecheck eventually wore them down in a few games in that series, and yes, Smith and Quincey struggled some in those games, but Chicago's forecheck made a lot of teams and their defensemen look kind of bad this season. I believe Ryan Suter and Brooks Orpik are pretty darn good defenders, but neither one looked terribly good against Chicago in the playoffs.

And no bloody way on earth is Elliott better defensively than Smith. Come on.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:28 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
You are, of course, correct. Smith - and Quincey for that matter - were pretty good in last year's playoffs. Detroit took Chicago to a Game 7 OT in Round 2, and Smith generally played pretty well. He wasn't great, but certainly not terrible. Chicago's forecheck eventually wore them down in a few games in that series, and yes, Smith and Quincey struggled some in those games, but Chicago's forecheck made a lot of teams and their defensemen look kind of bad this season. I believe Ryan Suter and Brooks Orpik are pretty darn good defenders, but neither one looked terribly good against Chicago in the playoffs.

And no bloody way on earth is Elliott better defensively than Smith. Come on.
Orpik didn't play against Chicago. And he ain't that good puck mover. Solid defender.. as long as he doesn't have the puck.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:39 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Orpik didn't play against Chicago. And he ain't that good puck mover. Solid defender.. as long as he doesn't have the puck.
Chara looked pretty average in the final three games against Chigado (-6).

And no, i'm not comparing Smith and Chara.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Sorry, meant Scuderi there. Having Pittsburgh dyslexia.

Basic point is, Chicago's forecheck made a number of defensemen look bad.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
m0ngr31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
What did liles do?
The only thing I remember was making fun of Bettman on Twitter

Old
07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I know he is hated by some people here. But I'd like to take a run at Del Zotto.

Why?

- I think he would be a better fit here than in NYR. (Under Torts at least)
- He is a LD who will improve our PP, and still isn't done developing.
- Rangers has some cap issues.
- He was pretty bad recently, his value is lower than it has been before. Which is kinda why I think we have a shot at getting him without having to give up too much.

I think we should try to find one or two of those players, who will be a better fit here than in their current teams, and has a bad reputation right now which lower their value.
He could come cheaper now then ever. If the alternatives are acquiring him vs doing nothing, that is an obvious choice.

Closed Thread