HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Will opening night include Hale or Martin?

View Poll Results: Who will be included for opening night?
Only Paul Martin 2 8.33%
Only David Hale 10 41.67%
Both Martin and Hale 0 0%
They will both be in Albany to start the season 12 50.00%
Not sure. Could go either way. 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 03:31 PM
MattNJD

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MattNJD
Will opening night include Hale or Martin?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about Martin and/or Hale being on the opening night roster vs. the Bruins in Boston. I personally don't think either will be there. Vote away!!

Old
09-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
They are both closer to making the big club then DeMarchi is, but I can't see them beating out Brown and Giroux for the final spots on opening night unless an injury creeps up at this point. Albelin has been playing quite well this preseason from everything I've read thus far further clouding the depth picture. I think both Hale and Martin have tapered off a bit since coming back with a strong game following the bad loss to Philly early on.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:37 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

I think the fact that they are consistently paired together is evidence that they'll spend a year in Albany for some more seasoning and to jel as a defensive unit.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Tbg1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
They are both closer to making the big club then DeMarchi is, but I can't see them beating out Brown and Giroux for the final spots on opening night unless an injury creeps up at this point. Albelin has been playing quite well this preseason from everything I've read thus far further clouding the picture.

I saw Raymond Giroux play last nite against the Flyers and Sean Brown, and I think they will both make the big club. BUt David Hale may give one of them a run if he plays well enough the last 2 or 3 games.

I think if hale makes it him and Giroux or Brown woould be a rotating 5th 6th & 7th Dman

open day line up

Elias-Gomez-Marshall
Langenbrunner-Rupp-Friesen (Will put up big points)
Berglund-Madden-Pandolfo
Gionta-Larionov<->Rasmussen/Brylin (Sarge if Rasm, plays center)

Stevens-Rafalski
White-Nieds
Brown-Giroux
7th- Hale/Sutton

Old
09-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
I really like that Lou and Pat are in the enviable position of being able to decide whether to greenlight Hale or Brown right now. Both of them bring an additional balancing physical edge on the blueline which Stevens and White already provide on the top two lines to keep other teams honest with the threat of a punishing hit.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:22 PM
ttnorm

Hale would surprise me as a rotational player. Either he makes it as an every day player or he gets the big minutes in Albany. Certainly looks like Albany is more likely. Expect to see him up later in the year if all goes well with the River Rats for a 2 week cup of coffee with the big boys.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:53 PM
gmdevils

I think that Hale will be up with the big club to start the season, before going back down to Albany for the majority of the season. From what I hear from a lot of you all, Martin needs to bulk up and will definitely be Albany for opening night. I wouldn't mind getting a look at him for myself though, mind you.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Niedermayer21

I think Hale and Martin start the season in Albany and we sign Albelin as our 7th defenseman. When one of Hale, Martin, or DeMarchi is ready, Albelin retires and Sean Brown or Ray Giroux becomes the odd man out.

I prefer the kids play in Albany for at least half a season before they play in the NHL. However, if there are injuries, God forbid, they might get the old baptism under fire bit. Or Lou goes out and gets another veteran. However, I think Albelin is the perfect 7th d-man for this team at this point.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Tao Jones

Brown gets the start against his former team. Pair him with Giroux. Sign Albelin after the waiver draft.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515
7th- Hale/Sutton
Sutton is playing in Germany.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Guttersnipe
Leave Zubrus Alone!

I went to the Sat. game vs. Flyers and was shocked at how badly Brown played. He was slow, out of position and made a number of ugly turnovers (he should have gotten an assist on the 2nd Flyers goal). The good news is Giroux looked very comfortable and played great.

I think NJ should sign Albelin after the waiver draft and have the 3rd pairing be Giroux-Albelin, until either Brown and Hale have a good grasp of the team's system and can replace Albelin.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe
I went to the Sat. game vs. Flyers and was shocked at how badly Brown played. He was slow, out of position and made a number of ugly turnovers (he should have gotten an assist on the 2nd Flyers goal). The good news is Giroux looked very comfortable and played great.

I think NJ should sign Albelin after the waiver draft and have the 3rd pairing be Giroux-Albelin, until either Brown and Hale have a good grasp of the team's system and can replace Albelin.
In all fairness, Elias did not get back to cover his defensive assignment(Kapanen, the goal scorer). Brown did overskate the puck though. You were there, I wasn't. I read that he is having a good camp. He is there to clear the crease for Marty, and give the rough stuff back to the guys that punch him in the back of the head in front of the net(Williams), like Dano used to.

You are right though, I would start Tommy over Brown, if it were any other team than Boston, this early in the season. I just think he has something to prove to his former team. He will have other opportunites after he has the system down better. So, yeah, go with Albelin.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:31 AM
tmg

Don't the Devils stand to lose one of Giroux or Brown come waiver-draft day? I think this decision (Hale/Martin) will be dependent on who, if anyone, the Devils lose off their blueline that day.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:13 AM
JasonMacIsaac

vCash:
Hale and Martin are both going back to Albany, they have been playing average or below average in the games vs Philly and the Isles.

NJ should look like this:
Elias - Gomez - Marshall
Friesen - Rupp - Langenbrunner
Pandolfo - Madden - Gionta
Berglund - Rasmussen - Brylin
Bicek
Larionov/Stevenson both injured

Stevens - Rafalski
White - Niedermayer
Brown - Giroux
Albelin

Brodeur
Schwab

Albany:

Pihlman - Foster - Pikkarainen
Kariya - Darby - Suglobov
Hulbig - Johansson - Balmochnykh
Nittel - Cameron - Hartsburg

Martin - DeMarchi
Hale - Redlihs
Uchevatov - Cole

Ahonen
Kostur/Clemmensen

Old
09-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones
In all fairness, Elias did not get back to cover his defensive assignment(Kapanen, the goal scorer). Brown did overskate the puck though. You were there, I wasn't. I read that he is having a good camp. He is there to clear the crease for Marty, and give the rough stuff back to the guys that punch him in the back of the head in front of the net(Williams), like Dano used to.

You are right though, I would start Tommy over Brown, if it were any other team than Boston, this early in the season. I just think he has something to prove to his former team. He will have other opportunites after he has the system down better. So, yeah, go with Albelin.
Great post and welcome to the Devils board. Someone who really dislikes Sean Brown on another forum commented that he was the steadiest defenseman for NJ in a preseason game prior to the Saturday night matchup. I'm with you on starting him against the Bruins opening night. My only regret is that Robbie Ftorek is no longer there for Brown to get a bit of character redemption in front of, but its a minor quibble as the entire organization including Mike O'Connell's reign as interim head coach in the first round of the playoffs gave him the same red headed stepchild treatment.

Closed Thread