HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe McDonnell leaving for Dallas, Wings to promote Jeff Finley and David Kolb

Old
07-06-2013, 03:49 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

vCash: 500
**** Nill. Go scavenge another team. Jesus.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

If we lose Hakan Anderson, we are going to have a real tough time drafting and developing. That would be the biggest blow to our organization possible IMO.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:51 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

What a damned circus.

So Kenny wants to replace the departing scouts with Jeff Finley and David Kolb. Does anyone know anything about either of these two? I.E. are they anything close to being as accomplished as McDonnell and Leach?

TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:53 PM
InjuredChoker

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1 min
Most important to Red Wings scouting success: Hakan Andersson will be around to find sleeper Swede draft picks for DET for 4 more years.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
What a damned circus.

So Kenny wants to replace the departing scouts with Jeff Finley and David Kolb. Does anyone know anything about either of these two? I.E. are they anything close to being as accomplished as McDonnell and Leach?
They're other scouts within the organization. I know Kolb has been around for quite a while now. Finley is the WHL scout, I know that much.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1 min
Most important to Red Wings scouting success: Hakan Andersson will be around to find sleeper Swede draft picks for DET for 4 more years.
That is all that matters then. Hopefully in that 4th & final year we can steal Andersson's black book full of prospects to look out for, of course that's only if he leaves or retires.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

What's the incentive for all these guys to want to go to Dallas and leave Detroit?

Or is Nill as good as recruiting as John Calipari?

Old
07-06-2013, 04:00 PM
ChadS

I think Kolb is the CCHA/WCHA scout.

McDonnell is a HUGE loss. I find it funny that when Nill left, they said we'll be fine because McDonnell has recently been taking a larger role in the draft...

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:00 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
What's the incentive for all these guys to want to go to Dallas and leave Detroit?
more money. wings can't pay their scouts anymore because of the dan cleary contract.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:

I bet a lot of them want a new challenge. Most of those guys have been around for 15+ years. and by mentality, they're builders. They want something to build. Detroit's prospect pool is full to the brim at this point. Now they can get to Dallas, work under a guy they know and respect with other guys they know and respect, and do it all over again. It makes perfect sense to me.

I bet everybody involved thinks they picked a respectful time to do it, too. They're not leaving when Detroit needs them. They're leaving Detroit in a good place and leaving on a good note, just like Nill did.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:09 PM
ScottyBowman

Relax people. You've turned Nill into some kind of superhero just like all the panic when Don Wadell left for the Thrashers. The Red Wings will move along. No need to worry.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

vCash: 925
Haven't been too impressed with Stevie since he left....Nill leaving.... now this will seal the coffin shut given that Kenneth is the last man standing. Hopefully we have a run left in us with the tools Nill and Co. were able to establish.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
nik jr

iirc, newsy posted years ago a link to an article from a newspaper in western canada about an economist's analysis of drafting.

and i think that economist said that just picking next highest ranked name off CSS' list would be more successful than most teams' drafting.

hopefully, that's true.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Amyklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by YostisHome View Post
Haven't been too impressed with Stevie since he left....Nill leaving.... now this will seal the coffin shut given that Kenneth is the last man standing. Hopefully we have a run left in us with the tools Nill and Co. were able to establish.
I don't understand...so you're saying that as GM he has no effect on the team, but you're also implying he's not doing a good job? What does your impression of how Yzerman's doing in TB have to do with this situation?

Amyklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Wayne Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I bet a lot of them want a new challenge. Most of those guys have been around for 15+ years. and by mentality, they're builders. They want something to build. Detroit's prospect pool is full to the brim at this point. Now they can get to Dallas, work under a guy they know and respect with other guys they know and respect, and do it all over again. It makes perfect sense to me.

I bet everybody involved thinks they picked a respectful time to do it, too. They're not leaving when Detroit needs them. They're leaving Detroit in a good place and leaving on a good note, just like Nill did.
couldn't agree more with this. no one involved is a villain of any sort, it's just that these scouts seek new challenges to rebuild and prosper and detroit has been prospering for a long time with no sign of slowing down at this point. they've done their jobs, and what better opportunity to transition to a new job with another team than with nill and other highly respected front office suits?

Wayne Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

I think it's official

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....rector_of.html

Old
07-06-2013, 04:42 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Holland was head of scouting and Devellano was really in a boss position along with Bryan Murray as coach and GM when Hakan Andersson was hired by the recommendation of a scout leaving for the Rangers.

But the point being Devellano and Holland brought Andersson here and they did it before Nill. So say what you want, but I doubt very much Andersson's allegiances favor Nill before Holland. There is no offer he would match and likely no title they wouldn't give him if he requested it. I think he likes his setup here and isn't going anywhere. You would have to believe they offered him the opportunity to take Nill's position before Martin and he just isn't interested.

But like I said Andersson has been with the Wings sine 90-91, he is Holland guy not a Nill guy.

I am always curious why he hasn't jumped the pond, you would think with a couple years of cap grooming and that stuff somebody would hire him to a GM role in a heartbeat.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 07-06-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Basically for those worrying about Andersson
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:46 PM
joe89

I have a hard time being upset. With scouting I don't think new ideas are such a bad thing. As long as they're spending big money on the front office I'm not worried.

Plus, this is fair timing for everybody just after the draft and when we have a stacked pool.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:49 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:

I think McDonnell thought he would get Nill's job, they split his responsibilities and made it kind of clear Martin is in more of the grooming position. My assumption is in this role he will run the Stars AHL team and have kind of the full gamut of responsibilities.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:51 PM
DInTheB

So the guy who is responsible for the draft everyone is still ranting about is leaving and now the guy is a genius that cannot be replaced? I am not saying McDonnell hasn't been an integral part of the Wings machine, and certainly he will be hard to replace, but the absurd swings in emotion from last weekend to this weekend is hilarious to read about.

As for why McDonnell may be leaving, I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't as least partly ego driven. No matter who the Wings draft, at the end of the day the lay person is going to give the credit to Hakan. I am sure working in that shadow is frustrating, even if they do have a good working relationship.

Clearly this is a blow, but I just can't get myself too worked up for it right now. We won't have any idea how big of a blow it is for a few years anyway.

DInTheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Relax people. You've turned Nill into some kind of superhero just like all the panic when Don Wadell left for the Thrashers. The Red Wings will move along. No need to worry.
People just love to overreact to everything around here.

Let us not forget that Holland should have been fired years ago for Yzerman, Holmgren...

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Claypool

People leave jobs all the time. It happens. People want new opportunities to try something new.] and fresh,

Claypool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:02 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
People just love to overreact to everything around here.

Let us not forget that Holland should have been fired years ago for Yzerman, Holmgren...
those suggestions were always silly though

Yzerman people just wanted because he's Yzerman but he was unproven as hell and surprise surprise hasn't been doing so great in Tampa so far

Holmgren is even worse than Holland,just in a different way

Nill on the other hand....

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:04 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
****ing Nill...

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:13 PM
ChadS

As long as they're able to find some competent new guys and assign a good head of amateur scouting, we'll be fine. But losing two guys who've been in the amateur scouting group for nearly 20 years must have an effect.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote