HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jussi Jokinen

Old
07-18-2013, 12:26 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
it's worth thinking about. Moss brings size, faces good competition and has a stellar Crosi rating. he does have an injury history.
He does, but he was fairly sturdy in the mad rush that was the lockout-shortened season this year, missing only 3 games.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:59 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydyr View Post
Not bad value, and we could certainly use a David Moss in the bottom 6. His grit is certainly enticing to a team with a soft bottom 6 like the Penguins. That said, I'm not sure I do this deal, simply because removing Jokinen creates a dearth of offensively productive forwards in the bottom six (going from 1 creative forward to zero). I guess I'd just prefer to bolster the bottom six by trading either Niskanen or Orpik for help. Still, not a bad deal, and I wouldn't be devastated if such a trade occurred.
Certainly a valid reason to want to hang on to Jokinen. But on the flip side, wouldn't this move also finally give Jeffrey a chance to shine? From what I've been reading around here Jeffrey is the 2nd coming of Mark Letestu and is too skilled to be relegated to the 4th line - he just needs the opportunity to break out.

Old
07-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Certainly a valid reason to want to hang on to Jokinen. But on the flip side, wouldn't this move also finally give Jeffrey a chance to shine? From what I've been reading around here Jeffrey is the 2nd coming of Mark Letestu and is too skilled to be relegated to the 4th line - he just needs the opportunity to break out.
If we wanted Jeffrey to have the chance to shine we simply wouldn't have signed D'Agostini. But moving Jokinen doesn't help him. He's still waiting for a 3rd line injury to play unless he can win the job over someone. Jokinen or Moss really doesn't matter because it doesn't change the number of good players in front of him. I guess it gives us one less center depth-wise so he might be more likely to play center during an injury.

I don't hate the trade, but Jeffrey really doesn't have anything to do with it. Either way, Sutter is our 3rd line center.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 07-18-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:50 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Do Phoenix fans have high expectations for Chris Brown? He is the type of prospect that the Penguins need.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Gwydyr
Allons-y Alonso

Quote:
I'm fine with Jeffrey getting his chance when injuries occur. There's really no reason for us to move a proven talent like Jokinen to accommodate Jeffrey.

Gwydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydyr View Post
I'm fine with Jeffrey getting his chance when injuries occur. There's really no reason for us to move a proven talent like Jokinen to accommodate Jeffrey.
especially since trading Jussi for another 3rd liner doesn't do anything to accommodate Jeffrey

Old
07-18-2013, 03:18 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Well, touche about Jeffrey lol.

In any case, my spitballing how the Pens would look like if Jokinen for Moss did occur:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Moss - Sutter - D'Agostini
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Actually, I'm not sure how D'Agostini fits with the Pens lineup. Was interested in having the Yotes acquire him as a cheap scoring winger earlier this year, but from convos with Blues HFers, he's a rush scorer and not a true triggerman, who's pretty useless in the bottom 6 because he's soft and not very good defensively. He needs to be surrounded by skill in order to produce.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Well, touche about Jeffrey lol.

In any case, my spitballing how the Pens would look like if Jokinen for Moss did occur:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Moss - Sutter - D'Agostini
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Actually, I'm not sure how D'Agostini fits with the Pens lineup. Was interested in having the Yotes acquire him as a cheap scoring winger earlier this year, but from convos with Blues HFers, he's a rush scorer and not a true triggerman, who's pretty useless in the bottom 6 because he's soft and not very good defensively. He needs to be surrounded by skill in order to produce.
The bold is why I would like him playing with Jokinen or Bennett on the third line. At least then the third line fits a more consistent role.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:47 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
The bold is why I would like him playing with Jokinen or Bennett on the third line. At least then the third line fits a more consistent role.
Is Dags on LW with Malkin and Neal a non-starter? Slide Bennett down to the 3rd with Sutter and Moss and that should be a pretty decent two-way 3rd line.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Is Dags on LW with Malkin and Neal a non-starter? Slide Bennett down to the 3rd with Sutter and Moss and that should be a pretty decent two-way 3rd line.
Yes. There isn't anyone on the roster that should push Bennett down to the third line, although I'm not going to be furious when Jokinen does. Regardless, D'Agostini would be the worst possible fit for Malkin's line.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
While we're at it, we could swap Kunitz and Glass. You know, to improve the 4th line.

Really though, D'agostini is a terrible fit for the 2nd line. He's a shooter. Its the same situation as Iginla, except he's nowhere near as good as Iginla.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:32 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
While we're at it, we could swap Kunitz and Glass. You know, to improve the 4th line.

Really though, D'agostini is a terrible fit for the 2nd line. He's a shooter. Its the same situation as Iginla, except he's nowhere near as good as Iginla.
Well, it's debatable that Kunitz would be a first line winger on any other team that doesn't have Crosby. Perhaps playing with Malkin and Neal would elevate D'Agostini's game back to a 20+ goal scorer.

Goes without saying, though, trying to figure out how to fit D'Agostini in your lineup is difficult in the context of Jokinen for Moss, haha.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Well, it's debatable that Kunitz would be a first line winger on any other team that doesn't have Crosby. Perhaps playing with Malkin and Neal would elevate D'Agostini's game back to a 20+ goal scorer.

Goes without saying, though, trying to figure out how to fit D'Agostini in your lineup is difficult in the context of Jokinen for Moss, haha.
I have a hard time believing D'Agostini is anything more than our 6th best wing.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Oan

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...tetta-kaudelle

Finnish interview, where Jokinen basically mentions how he has two main objectives for this season: take place from 2nd line with Malkin and Neal & take place from finnish Olympic team.

Was just wondering how Penguins fans see the situation, since most of you seem to be slotting him to 3rd or even 4th line? I personally think that him with Malkin and Neal would work like charm, but that's just my opinion.

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:55 AM
BreakfastatMarios

I agree with Ditto Dude when he said

Paikka ******** penguinsia paremmassa joukkueessa ois paljon parempi tavoite tulevalle kaudelle

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Pens1566

vCash: 555
Quote:

Kunitz was a first liner on another cup winner in Anaheim.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...tetta-kaudelle

Finnish interview, where Jokinen basically mentions how he has two main objectives for this season: take place from 2nd line with Malkin and Neal & take place from finnish Olympic team.

Was just wondering how Penguins fans see the situation, since most of you seem to be slotting him to 3rd or even 4th line? I personally think that him with Malkin and Neal would work like charm, but that's just my opinion.
He won't take Bennett's spot, but he will be pretty useful next to Jokinen.

Our third line won't be a "checking line" this season, so Sutter and Jokinen should thrive together, especially with a guy like D'Agostini who is no sluch offensively.

Scandale du Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:43 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
He won't take Bennett's spot, but he will be pretty useful next to Jokinen.

Our third line won't be a "checking line" this season, so Sutter and Jokinen should thrive together, especially with a guy like D'Agostini who is no sluch offensively.
Wouldn't count out Kobasew potentially stealing a 3rd line spot either. It's not necessarily D'Agostini's just yet....

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

Judging by how Kobasew performed yesterday, I wouldn't have any problem with that.

Old
09-16-2013, 05:38 PM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Do Phoenix fans have high expectations for Chris Brown? He is the type of prospect that the Penguins need.
Saw him play last night at the kings / coyotes game. He made some decent plays and had an assist or two.

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 05:38 PM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Judging by how Kobasew performed yesterday, I wouldn't have any problem with that.
Ehhhh don't get too excited just yet, a few years ago Mike Comrie lit it up in pre-season games and well then we all know how THAT panned out...

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

Don't worry, I remember how excited we all were about Comrie. The thing though is that nobody expects Kobasew to be a point producer. If he brings the same level of competitiveness night in and night out, I'd be pretty thrilled with him on the 3rd/4th line. If he doesn't well, he is waivers material and I won't be sad

Old
09-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I hope Jussi plays well enough to deserve a spot next to Geno. And I hope Bennett plays just as well. And then maybe Dupuis can bump down to the third line

Old
09-16-2013, 06:45 PM
JTG

Quote:
I hope Jussi plays well enough to deserve a spot next to Geno. And I hope Bennett plays just as well. And then maybe Dupuis can bump down to the third line
Dupuis being the 3rd line RW makes the most sense, but I'd be completely shocked if it ever happened. It just fills so many things we need...Dupuis brings the checking ability, offensive ability, and defensive ability we need to find for the 3rd line. Bennett could slot in nicely on the 1st line...Jokinen on the 2nd line, D'Agostini on the 3rd line with Sutter and Dupuis...or Kobasew if he earns the spot.

I just cannot see the coaching staff letting that happen though.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:48 PM
JTG

Dudes...Comrie couldn't ****ing skate. His hips were gone, hence his retirement right after his contract was up here.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote