HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 5

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2013, 07:05 PM
  #976
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
It would leave a bad mark in our long term prospect pipeline in exchange for a short term boost.

Don't get me wrong; Vanek is awesome. But doesn't he fall UFA next year? We would trade some of our best pieces just to gamble on the possibility that Vanek renew?

That's a stupid gamble to make.
Awesome, yes, no. Not a gamble, 100% stupid.

yianik is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 07:10 PM
  #977
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I never understood it. I don't blame someone for wanting privacy and all that. I'll just never understand how some avoid big markets their entire careers. They refuse to even attempt to be in a hockey market for even a year. Vermette was in Ottawa so that's fair enough but some guys...it boggles the mind.
Just like there are plenty of people who are happy working the same middle-level job their entire lives.

I can't stay in the same position for more than 2 years...I get bored and want a better challenge.

But there are some people who are content to work the same job forever...Some who want purely administrative jobs where they sit in an office all day long, just do their work and aren't bothered by anyone, and get paid an average salary. To them work is just a paycheque and they are happy to do something easy.

This exists in hockey too...They are the guys who don't much care of pressure of performing, they just want to play and get paid. It doesn't mean they don't like playing hockey...It just means they prefer to do it in peace.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 07:29 PM
  #978
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,062
vCash: 500
I would not like that trade, but I would like for Vanek to be a top priority next summer. Incredible instincts and hands in front of the net. The Habs would also be unstoppable in the shootout with him and Chuck.

le_sean is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 07:30 PM
  #979
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Is it safe to say MB is done ? At this time of the year they'll just wait until the beginning of the season to make adjusment

Bieber fever is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 07:38 PM
  #980
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Exiled from Reality
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Is it safe to say MB is done ? At this time of the year they'll just wait until the beginning of the season to make adjusment
If he's done, it's a shame...Morrow would be a great addition, he'd help the kids alot, IMO...as for Desharnais & Moen, well...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 07:58 PM
  #981
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Is it safe to say MB is done ? At this time of the year they'll just wait until the beginning of the season to make adjusment
I would be very surprised if MB was content. I think he is targeting us being a contender in 2 years with the aim of having a window of several years and that hes open to anything that will bring us closer to that. Seems clear MB was trying to add a quality D man around the time of the Draft and I figure he is still looking at making such a trade.

yianik is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:13 PM
  #982
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,003
vCash: 500
Sure MB was sick of getting pushed around in the playoffs

sampollock is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:17 PM
  #983
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
Sure MB was sick of getting pushed around in the playoffs
Bringing the toughness to the Habs 2013


NLHabsFan is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:21 PM
  #984
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Exiled from Reality
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
Bringing the toughness to the Habs 2013

With a 'stache like that, he can have braids...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:25 PM
  #985
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,553
vCash: 500
I don't think he's done. A lot of players out there not signed and teams that will need to make a trade before the season starts.

I can't imagine Bergy not getting some depth and size up front and on defense. Probably nothing crazy but we need more bodies.

shutehinside is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 09:21 PM
  #986
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I don't think he's done. A lot of players out there not signed and teams that will need to make a trade before the season starts.

I can't imagine Bergy not getting some depth and size up front and on defense. Probably nothing crazy but we need more bodies.
Its those teams with Cap issues that I hope MB tries to take advantage of and hopefully it can be a significant move.

yianik is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 09:23 PM
  #987
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Of course the Habs are done. You didn't really think that Bergevin had other "balls in the air" did you?

This is classic, vintage Montreal Canadiens circa 2007.

We got our Samsonov, the rest is in god's hands - Marc Bergevin

WhiskeySeven is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:16 PM
  #988
Lozela
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Of course the Habs are done. You didn't really think that Bergevin had other "balls in the air" did you?

This is classic, vintage Montreal Canadiens circa 2007.

We got our Samsonov, the rest is in god's hands - Marc Bergevin
and refused to overpay for Vinny Lecavalier and then signed Brière while NJ signed Ryder for the same term and for cheaper.

All Bergevin did was hire his buddies so they can get nice jobs in the org. The guy will prolly turn out worst than Gainey.

Lozela is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:38 PM
  #989
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozela View Post
and refused to overpay for Vinny Lecavalier and then signed Brière while NJ signed Ryder for the same term and for cheaper.

All Bergevin did was hire his buddies so they can get nice jobs in the org. The guy will prolly turn out worst than Gainey.
That's what I don't get - yes I personally would've loved Lecavalier here and remain convicted that 5x5 would've gotten it done - but why does a busted up Briere with awful stats end up signing for much MORE than Ryder and Desharnais?

So far Bergevin has done very little to impress me but I will say that I'm very bitter about Gainey's tenure and will project a lot of that onto Bergevin until he proves otherwise. Hearing about "prices were too high" (but signing Briere) and "we build from within" (but not trading for better picks or acquiring more) doesn't reassure me - it reminds me.

WhiskeySeven is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:39 PM
  #990
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozela View Post
and refused to overpay for Vinny Lecavalier and then signed Brière while NJ signed Ryder for the same term and for cheaper.

All Bergevin did was hire his buddies so they can get nice jobs in the org. The guy will prolly turn out worst than Gainey.
Oh come on now. This hate that Bergevin gets is because people wanted him to spend money foolishly and become cap restrained in the upcoming years.

I don't know if these posters haven't payed any attention to what Bergevin has been publically stating or not but maybe they should start paying attention instead of getting mad because things didn't turn out like how they want the team.

Bergevin is building this team through the draft and doesn't feel that free agency is the route to build our core. It's meant for depth player acquisitions. However with the price range this year, Bergevin was not oer paying for services.

He is sticking to his guns and is seeing and going forward with his future plans. An annual contender, which most teams these days are from drafting their core talent and not spending money foolishly in FA.

BigHabs is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:45 PM
  #991
Lozela
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
Oh come on now. This hate that Bergevin gets is because people wanted him to spend money foolishly and become cap restrained in the upcoming years.

I don't know if these posters haven't payed any attention to what Bergevin has been publically stating or not but maybe they should start paying attention instead of getting mad because things didn't turn out like how they want the team.

Bergevin is building this team through the draft and doesn't feel that free agency is the route to build our core. It's meant for depth player acquisitions. However with the price range this year, Bergevin was not oer paying for services.

He is sticking to his guns and is seeing and going forward with his future plans. An annual contender, which most teams these days are from drafting their core talent and not spending money foolishly in FA.
hold up amigo

You can't signed Desharnais to a 14 milllions/ 4 years contract before the end of the season and expect people to respect you as a GM. The signing was so bizarre and made no sense. That is a lack of vision my friend.

Lozela is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:46 PM
  #992
jiboy
Patience
 
jiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: RN
Country: Canada
Posts: 858
vCash: 50
Our core is not a player or two away from being good enough. We got to give our team some time to develop by itself, we are not only an "iginla" away.

Look at those top 4 seeds in this year playoffs.

We are not in the same boat at all right now, we got to let our core progress and then when the timing is good we can make some trades or pick up a great UFA..

Some of our draft picks are going to end up being servicable players and you do win with the core that you develop.

jiboy is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:04 PM
  #993
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
Oh come on now. This hate that Bergevin gets is because people wanted him to spend money foolishly and become cap restrained in the upcoming years.

I don't know if these posters haven't payed any attention to what Bergevin has been publically stating or not but maybe they should start paying attention instead of getting mad because things didn't turn out like how they want the team.

Bergevin is building this team through the draft and doesn't feel that free agency is the route to build our core. It's meant for depth player acquisitions. However with the price range this year, Bergevin was not oer paying for services.

He is sticking to his guns and is seeing and going forward with his future plans. An annual contender, which most teams these days are from drafting their core talent and not spending money foolishly in FA.
This would make a ton of sense had it not been for the fact that a) we're just under the cap limit and have glaring holes in our defense and b) he just signed an expensive UFA to a NMC contract.

So, yes, in the imaginary world you live in - Bergevin's moves make sense.

WhiskeySeven is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:05 PM
  #994
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,670
vCash: 50
NMC means jack **** on a two year deal.

Ezpz is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:09 PM
  #995
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
Our core is not a player or two away from being good enough. We got to give our team some time to develop by itself, we are not only an "iginla" away.

Look at those top 4 seeds in this year playoffs.

We are not in the same boat at all right now, we got to let our core progress and then when the timing is good we can make some trades or pick up a great UFA..

Some of our draft picks are going to end up being servicable players and you do win with the core that you develop.
Defense, defense, defense.

We upgrade our defense and we become playoff contenders.

We've got the offensive firepower now. We have a weak defense that does not help Price.

That is the biggest issue facing the Habs next season. Markov playing worse as he ages, Gorges who has heart but not the size to be effective. Emelin with a banged up knee and we dont know how long for him to get back to being himself.......if that ever happens. Diaz who cannot play D and is one hit away from being out again with a concussion. Boullion who is a warrior but a small warrior. Tinordi who is big but is not yet a warrior. Drewiske........Drewiske???????

And then Subban.

And, Bergevin, a former DMan cannot recognize the need to overhaul our blueliners.

Briere will not hurt the team too much. Our D as it is now will definitely hurt our chances next season.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:18 PM
  #996
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,840
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
NMC means jack **** on a two year deal.
I wish more and more people would realize this, I really do.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:19 PM
  #997
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Defense, defense, defense.

We upgrade our defense and we become playoff contenders.
I agree, and upgraded properly he could solve a couple of issues with team toughness as well.

Quote:
We've got the offensive firepower now. We have a weak defense that does not help Price.
Agree again... this is odd....

Quote:
That is the biggest issue facing the Habs next season. Markov playing worse as he ages, Gorges who has heart but not the size to be effective. Emelin with a banged up knee and we dont know how long for him to get back to being himself.......if that ever happens. Diaz who cannot play D and is one hit away from being out again with a concussion. Boullion who is a warrior but a small warrior. Tinordi who is big but is not yet a warrior. Drewiske........Drewiske???????

And then Subban.

And, Bergevin, a former DMan cannot recognize the need to overhaul our blueliners.

Briere will not hurt the team too much. Our D as it is now will definitely hurt our chances next season.
Whoa, 3/3 .. you and I agree on this 100%. So if two knucklehead fans can spot the problems, why can't all the ex players in management? Its as if nobody ever wants to address the issue on the blueliene for some reason.

I think where you and I may disagree is Tinordi. I am very worried he will become a Patrick Traverse ....

Habs is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:36 PM
  #998
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I agree, and upgraded properly he could solve a couple of issues with team toughness as well.



Agree again... this is odd....



Whoa, 3/3 .. you and I agree on this 100%. So if two knucklehead fans can spot the problems, why can't all the ex players in management? Its as if nobody ever wants to address the issue on the blueliene for some reason.

I think where you and I may disagree is Tinordi. I am very worried he will become a Patrick Traverse ....
Tinordi will be a very good DMan in the near future. He's not there yet. But we will be depending on him heavily.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
07-16-2013, 12:31 AM
  #999
TT1
Registered User
 
TT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,048
vCash: 500
drewiske is really underrated, hes gonna surprise alot of ppl next year (if he gets the opportunity). dude is a solid all around 5/6 d-man

TT1 is offline  
Old
07-16-2013, 12:43 AM
  #1000
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozela View Post
hold up amigo

You can't signed Desharnais to a 14 milllions/ 4 years contract before the end of the season and expect people to respect you as a GM. The signing was so bizarre and made no sense. That is a lack of vision my friend.
that's the thing, no sane Habs GM should expect respect from "people" (IE Habs fans and medias). Mission impossible.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.