HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

THW COLUMN: Avalanche Draft reviewed and graded

Old
07-04-2013, 03:36 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
THW COLUMN: Avalanche Draft reviewed and graded

I recently published a column on thehockeywriters reviewing all the drafts of the newly formed Division B, including the Avalanche:

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...ts-division-b/

I would love to hear what the Colorado faithful thinks!

StevenToddIves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Nothing really in-depth about the Colorado draft but grade seems good considering the 1st overall pick is usually a slam dunk. I'm personally excited about Bigras and Martin. I think both can be big time players in their prime.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Zandar

Simple and to the point. What is interesting is all but one (Storm) was considered possible third rounders or higher by a few. Only Geertsen was considered likely a 4th rounder (but an early one at that). To walk away with 6 players who could be considered in the top 100 is a good thing. Then to have 4 of them as possible top 60 prospects could result in great things for this group outside of the MacKinnon/Bigras picks if they come close to their potential.

Zandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Kloparren
Hth

I thought Martin was a better pick tbh. Yes we have positional depth but he has starter potential.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I love the Avs draft.

MacKinnon was probably the safest pick in the draft. Seth Jones might be a better player long term, but I believe there's smaller risk with MacKinnon than with Jones. And with this being Sakic's first draft choice, he had to play it safe. They absolutely could not afford to blow this pick, especially with the possibility of losing ROR and Stastny at years end. They significantly leveraged themselves in negotiations with those two players and now have allowed themselves to walk away from one or both if necessary.

The rest of the draft really impressed me too. For all the Seth Jones love out there, it's obvious that Sakic/Roy see defense as a major opportunity for upgrade here. The fact that they made it such a priority in all the other rounds gives me confidence that we'll solve it soon and aslo convinces me that there were some really serious questions about Jones.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:20 PM
InjuredChoker

Pronman's thoughts on Western conf. team draft.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I love the Avs draft.

MacKinnon was probably the safest pick in the draft. Seth Jones might be a better player long term, but I believe there's smaller risk with MacKinnon than with Jones. And with this being Sakic's first draft choice, he had to play it safe. They absolutely could not afford to blow this pick, especially with the possibility of losing ROR and Stastny at years end. They significantly leveraged themselves in negotiations with those two players and now have allowed themselves to walk away from one or both if necessary.

The rest of the draft really impressed me too. For all the Seth Jones love out there, it's obvious that Sakic/Roy see defense as a major opportunity for upgrade here. The fact that they made it such a priority in all the other rounds gives me confidence that we'll solve it soon and aslo convinces me that there were some really serious questions about Jones.
I disagree in general with the playing it safe philosophy. I don't have a problem with the Mac pick because an easy argument can be made he is the BPA, though I'm not nearly enough of a scout to know. But "safe" should not equate into team building philosophy, unless you want a perpetual first or second round and out team. That's where safe'll get you. Still Mac has a great chance to become a game changing superstar and that's always something you can work with.

And when you say the Avs can just "walk away" from O'Reilly and Stastny, if you mean they can let them walk without getting value back, I disagree. They could if they were not extremely thin in other areas, but they are. Their organizational strength drafting wise has been drafting centers, but at some point they've got to trade their strengths to address weaknesses. The Avs are in no way near a condition to just let assets walk away. Unfortunately both O'Reilly and Stastny have contract issues that make them very difficult to move for equivalent value.

I do like that the Avs addressed defense in the draft. We'll see how they turn out. Bigras sounds like an excellent pick. But NHL quality defensemen haven't been coming out of the Avs system like woodwork like the centers have, so we can't use past success as an indication the Avs will get good defensemen out of it down the road.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote