HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton skate advice

Old
12-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Rookie109

vCash: 500
Easton skate advice

I'm considering buying new skates, my current Easton Stealth X-treme skates have held up well but I'm looking for more support without breaking the bank.

At a local shop I've spotted a few older Easton models on sale: EQ50 ($200), Stealth 75S ($130), Stealth 85S ($189), and Stealth RS ($300).

Anyone here have these, any reviews or insight? I'm about an 11.5-12 in Easton skate size so it's rare to find these mid-level and high -end older models in my size. The RS seems too expensive compared to the rest IMO. I might be able to get the price down a small amount too, this is in Canadian dollars so I'm not overly concerned.

I'm a beer league player and I'll be skating lots outside once it's cold enough here. I'll keep my old skates too since, why not?

Thanks

Rookie109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2015, 04:57 PM
AIREAYE

I would say that the closest fit to your current skates would be the EQ50, which were top-end skates at one point and definitely the best value out of everything there. If they fit, and if you don't consider yourself a low level skater (ie. you can do pivots, crossovers front/back etc.), then the stiffness may be beneficial to your performance. I would target those first to try on.

The RS skates are good value at $300, and were decent enough when they were around. They will fit differently than your current Stealth line. Try them on of course.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2015, 06:42 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Any reason to go for the older models?

The RS felt stiff when I tried em. I was coming from Grafs so it was noticeable. Stiffness felt comparable to Vapors and most other modern skates to me but apparently they have forward flex. The skate pitches you slightly forward not unlike most other skates other than Bauers. I don't know, they only felt OK to me but of course this is different for everyone.

I ended up with MAKO 2's which felt much better to me with my narrow foot. The Mako is a stiff skate but doesn't feel restricive like the average modern plastic skate. It forces you into an aggresive skating positon which may not be good if you're just standing around but has really helped my skating. Best skate I've ever had for my very narrow foot. I would try the M7s for sure if you have a chance. The feel terrible out of box but they bake so well.

DangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I would say that the closest fit to your current skates would be the EQ50, which were top-end skates at one point and definitely the best value out of everything there. If they fit, and if you don't consider yourself a low level skater (ie. you can do pivots, crossovers front/back etc.), then the stiffness may be beneficial to your performance. I would target those first to try on.

The RS skates are good value at $300, and were decent enough when they were around. They will fit differently than your current Stealth line. Try them on of course.
I found the RS stealth for $250 online at ProHockeyLife, there is a store in my city they could be shipped to I tried on all those skates at the store, the 75S I could fit in an 11 size, the 85S and the RS I needed to go to a 11.5 (more padding I guess), and the EQ50 they only had a size 12 which is what my current Stealth X-treme skates are.

I am more than good enough on my skates and can do all you've said so that's not an issue. The EQ50 felt great, as did all of those Easton skates I mentioned. I tired on a few CCM and Bauer skates, but for some reason the Easton skates just seem to fit me the best. Weird.

So, the EQ50, 85S, or the Stealth RS is what I was thinking. I'm leaning towards the EQ50 or the 85S since the reviews for the RS are not as good.

Old
12-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
Any reason to go for the older models?

The RS felt stiff when I tried em. I was coming from Grafs so it was noticeable. Stiffness felt comparable to Vapors and most other modern skates to me but apparently they have forward flex. The skate pitches you slightly forward not unlike most other skates other than Bauers. I don't know, they only felt OK to me but of course this is different for everyone.

I ended up with MAKO 2's which felt much better to me with my narrow foot. The Mako is a stiff skate but doesn't feel restricive like the average modern plastic skate. It forces you into an aggresive skating positon which may not be good if you're just standing around but has really helped my skating. Best skate I've ever had for my very narrow foot. I would try the M7s for sure if you have a chance. The feel terrible out of box but they bake so well.
Older models are a great value is why; I only paid $100 for my Stealth X-treme skates (50% off) when I started out 6 years ago. They are a special make skate, probably low-end with a couple mid-range features. Great skate for what I paid, but I'd like a stiffer boot now.

I want to try mid or high end skates but not spending upwards of $550-850 + which is insane for beer league hockey and outdoor / pond hockey for me.

I have a guy on my team who bought two high end skates last year, CCM SuperTacks and Graf something or other. He spent probably $1600-2000 for unknown reasons. He uses one for outdoor, the other for indoor lol.

However, even with my basic skates I can keep up with him. I want a skate with better performance now, the deals at my local store are just too good to pass up on.

Old
12-03-2015, 08:44 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie109 View Post
Older models are a great value is why; I only paid $100 for my Stealth X-treme skates (50% off) when I started out 6 years ago. They are a special make skate, probably low-end with a couple mid-range features. Great skate for what I paid, but I'd like a stiffer boot now.

I want to try mid or high end skates but not spending upwards of $550-850 + which is insane for beer league hockey and outdoor / pond hockey for me.

I have a guy on my team who bought two high end skates last year, CCM SuperTacks and Graf something or other. He spent probably $1600-2000 for unknown reasons. He uses one for outdoor, the other for indoor lol.

However, even with my basic skates I can keep up with him. I want a skate with better performance now, the deals at my local store are just too good to pass up on.
Ah I see. Well I still think you have to try makos if you can. You should be able to get a good deal on the first gen makos.

This canadian website has em at 250 for a skate that was top of the line. http://hockeysupremacy.com/en/easton-mako-skates.html
They're the most moldable skate on the market by far so it's the safest bet if you don't have the chance to try em out.

Best advice though is to not look at the discount but rather try everything in your price range and see what fits best. Easton is usually a narrow skate so maybe vapors would also suit you. Only thing is bauer skates put you on your heels. I think tacks are narrow as well but can't remember.

Bottom line is try everything out at a local store and see what works for you. Don't like the price then maybe you can get a deal online.

Old
12-03-2015, 09:39 PM
AIREAYE

I actually agree with the Mako I recommendation. However OP, make sure you understand where some ppl had issues as well as potential solutions to those issues. If you're comfortable with that, then they're great value.

Otherwise, the RS probably had worse reviews than the 85S because more people got those than the one tier down. The whole lineup was overvalued at regular price, but decent for rec-level once they went on clearance.

Regarding the different sizings you notice, be wary that older Stealth models (ie. if your current skates look like the S15 skate) sized up a half size (ie. 8 in Bauer = 8.5 in Easton Stealth). Ultimately, make sure that the length follows proper sizing which is covered in the guide, understanding that you get more space once baked/broken in.

Old
12-03-2015, 10:39 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I actually agree with the Mako I recommendation. However OP, make sure you understand where some ppl had issues as well as potential solutions to those issues. If you're comfortable with that, then they're great value.

Otherwise, the RS probably had worse reviews than the 85S because more people got those than the one tier down. The whole lineup was overvalued at regular price, but decent for rec-level once they went on clearance.

Regarding the different sizings you notice, be wary that older Stealth models (ie. if your current skates look like the S15 skate) sized up a half size (ie. 8 in Bauer = 8.5 in Easton Stealth). Ultimately, make sure that the length follows proper sizing which is covered in the guide, understanding that you get more space once baked/broken in.
Easton has always had durability issues from what I've seen. Mako 2's seem to be better so far but they're still fairly new. Still, at 250, you get a great performing skate that I'm sure will last with some maintenance. These skates to me are a game changer.

Like you said though, the RS was thought to be overpriced at the time performing similar to other brands mid range offerings.

It's really difficult to recommend a product based on what you used previously. I used to have vapors when they came out and they fit fine at the time. Went and tried 80s on before settling on the makos and the vapes felt terrible. Goes to show skates are always changing. Also, seeing as you've only had 1 pair before, maybe their's something another manufacturer makes that will fit you better. Go to a reputable store if possible and get an expert to help out.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old
12-04-2015, 12:07 AM
DevsFan84

Just wanted to point out that the RS skate has had a ton of durability problems, especially the toe cap. There is a reason they went down to less that $150 US on some websites here.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2015, 03:36 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I've got EQ50's, and even some 3 years later I still don't particularly get along with them...

A bit too tough, for my liking - But everyone has their own preferences.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2015, 04:49 PM
AIREAYE

The EQ50s were fine on the durability front from what I've seen over the years.

Old
12-04-2015, 06:57 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
I'm still happily skating in SE16s, which also didn't have a great reputation for durability. The rubber on the toecap is peeling off, but the composite is still in great shape, so whatever. The durability thing with eastons is overblown in my experience.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2015, 09:32 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I'm still happily skating in SE16s, which also didn't have a great reputation for durability. The rubber on the toecap is peeling off, but the composite is still in great shape, so whatever. The durability thing with eastons is overblown in my experience.
Never had a problem when I wore Easton's either, maybe don't kick the boards as much or stomp when the ref calls you for offsides? The only advice when it comes to skates is TRY THEM ON. Don't fall in love with looks or a price point, if you buy the wrong skates for $150 then buy another pair for $300 a little while later cause you hated the skates you could have just had $500 skates that fit properly and rode those out for a few years.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2015, 04:29 PM
StLHokie

I'm not sure about the stealth's, but I have two buddies that have tried the Mako, and they say its likely the worst skate they've ever skated in. Even with a seemingly perfect fit in the store, the skates cause severe blistering at the top of the ankle, around the Achilles tendon because of the way that the Achilles support is shaped where it connects to the skate.

StLHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2015, 12:43 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHokie View Post
I'm not sure about the stealth's, but I have two buddies that have tried the Mako, and they say its likely the worst skate they've ever skated in. Even with a seemingly perfect fit in the store, the skates cause severe blistering at the top of the ankle, around the Achilles tendon because of the way that the Achilles support is shaped where it connects to the skate.
Well I can't necessarily speak for the Mako 1 but I have 2 which I believe are shaped the exact same way. I have to say it's the best skate I've ever used and have not experienced the blister issue. I've done 2 hour sessions and felt absolutely no discomfort whatsoever. Mind you, I wear long nylon socks so maybe they prevented chaffing. Also, you shouldn't tuck your tendon guard inside your sock with these skates. I could see that causing chaffing and also, it sort of ruins what I believe is one of the skate's best features.

Old
12-06-2015, 08:24 PM
AIREAYE

Right, that ankle issue was a main one with the Mako Is. If you're willing to work it out (it's possible to fix), then it's a good deal like I said before.

Mako II addressed that issue and also improved the durability of the carbon heel. If my RBZs were in worse shape, I would've grabbed a pair of Mako IIs already. I'm a fan.

Old
12-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Rookie109

Wow, lots of great feedback guys and or girls. I'll have to think about it, maybe more since I saw a deal at my lhs for $99 for Easton 85S skates and those makos at $250 online.

I tried a newer mako (not top of the line) in size 12 and they felt amazing. I guess I'd opt for the older mako 1 top end skate since they fit the same. At $250 that's worth going a bit over what I intended, maybe...

How can you fix or deal with the mako 1's heal issues? What else should I know about them or the 85Ss?

Old
12-10-2015, 09:47 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie109 View Post
Wow, lots of great feedback guys and or girls. I'll have to think about it, maybe more since I saw a deal at my lhs for $99 for Easton 85S skates and those makos at $250 online.

I tried a newer mako (not top of the line) in size 12 and they felt amazing. I guess I'd opt for the older mako 1 top end skate since they fit the same. At $250 that's worth going a bit over what I intended, maybe...

How can you fix or deal with the mako 1's heal issues? What else should I know about them or the 85Ss?
The heel issue? Do you mean the blisters some people get?

I don't get them but wearing nylon socks and flaring out the padding a little in the area while heating seem to do the trick.

Old
12-11-2015, 12:54 AM
AIREAYE

If you're talking about the more prevalent high ankle issue, the fix is to reheat the problem spot and 'squeeze' out or 'fold' out the problem area. Or get your store to help

Old
12-11-2015, 07:43 AM
panner20

I'm a huge Easton skate fan. I started with the S11's, then the S17's... and then I really stepped up and got a pair of MAKO 1's. I was hesitant to order online, but at the time the price was incredible so I went for it. Hands down they are a phenomenal skate. I've never had a top of the line model, and I must say Im so glad I made the jump up. Makos were hell to get used to, (I'll get to that in a minute) but so worth it. The heat moldable feature on these is like no other. My shop baked them for over 20 minutes & they resembled hot jelly out of the oven. The custom fit they achieve is shocking. They feel like super comfortable high top basketball sneakers, but incredible stiffness at the same time. I enjoy not having to tie them tight to acheive more stiffness, they are just perfect. I did not experience any of the blistering issues that I heard so much about... and the durability issue is a non factor for older players IMO. Now the only negative... I had a lot of trouble getting used to the forward pitch though(I imagine they feel similar to a girl wearing high heels for the first time)... I've had them almost a year now (Im a 46 year old Beer leaguer) and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. I wouldn't say this if it wasnt true, they have improved my game even at this advanced age. As always, new skates is a totally unique and individual experience as you know... MAKO are very different (inspired by speed skates), I'm so glad that I took a chance on them. Good luck in your pursuit of new skates, it can be traumatizing, LOL!!!!

Last edited by panner20: 12-11-2015 at 07:50 AM.
panner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2015, 12:47 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by panner20 View Post
Now the only negative... I had a lot of trouble getting used to the forward pitch though
You get used to that really quick and I find it's really helped my game. Grafs are the same in regards to pitch and it was difficult going from Vapors to the Grafs but totally worth it in the end. Like Air said, you can always profile it and shim it of you really dislike it.

Old
01-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Rookie109

I have decided and ordered last night:
The first generation Easton Mako skates from hockey supremacy in 11.5; I should get them in the mail by Thursday.

I will have to get them baked for 15 minutes, then not use them for 24 hours apparently. I'll get the same flat bottom V sharpening before I finally get to hit the ice on Friday!

They were $250 but had actually dropped down to $200 for a couple of days, kicking myself I didn't order them over the holidays. I had to go try on a pair of newer Makos in a store to make sure I got the size right, but I felt guilty about not intending to buy skates so I bought a pair of broomball shoes for sponge hockey instead.

See, you can still buy online for killer deals while still supporting your local hockey store :-)

Can't wait till I can try them out, thanks for the help - I'll write my first impressions after I get a few skates in.

Old
01-08-2016, 09:31 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

always go for last years or year before high end model.
you'll save 200 -300 bucks on a premium skate.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
always go for last years or year before high end model.
you'll save 200 -300 bucks on a premium skate.
Or 3 years ago, $899 down to $250 is a steal (Missed the window for $200 though). I'll get my first chance to skate on high-end skates tonight here:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...360878541.html
It's snowed since, but there are still large sections that the park has cleared off

Then a game back in my city Sunday night. I'll update on Sunday on my first impressions skating on the lake and on indoor ice in a game.

Old
02-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Rookie109

Easton Mako skate month long review

OK, so I am not a skate expert but I can give some feedback from my month or so experience with the Easton Mako skates. Wow, going from my previous Easton Stealth X-Treme skates was like going from a VW beetle to a Porsche 911 Turbo.

I had them baked for about 10 minutes, instantly I could tell they fit like nothing else I've tried. From my first skate on the ice I was shocked at how snug and responsive they felt, the turning and first three strides accelerating with the forward pitch is simply awesome.

I've played in a few games on them, skated on outdoor rinks, and on a river trail, and no matter what they inspire a lot of confidence. I am an aggressive winger who really likes to fore check hard, these skates seem to give me a little bit more confidence and spring in my step when racing defense men to the corners.

A week ago my team had a practice outdoors and we did a drill with two guys chasing a dumped puck into the corner from centre. I won every race except one, mainly because I didn't want to take out the other guy behind the net. I even managed to beat a veteran player on my team known for his speed. I'm not sure if it's because I've been practicing acceleration drills for a while, because I've been skating a lot, or because of the skates, without a doubt I am faster out of the gate than my old skates.

Seeing as I was warned about possible durability issues on the lower carbon fibre of the skate, I got custom ShotBlockers to compliment the tongue Shotblocker I already had. Wow, they did very high quality job, they are so light that I can't even tell they are on the skate.

Easton Mako skates 9.9/10 (so far) @ $206 Canadian after shipping, I canít complain
Custom ShotBlockers XT Pro 9.9/10 (so far) They had them custom made within a week!

Last edited by Rookie109: 03-28-2016 at 03:03 PM.