HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie Chest Protector

Old
03-07-2017, 11:44 PM
Bulls9220

vCash: 500
Goalie Chest Protector

Any goalies out there have any good reccomendations on which chest protectors to buy? I want one thats pretty protective and won't give me stingers every shot I take but I don't want to completely limit my mobility. also not trying to completely break the bank but will pay a bit more for better quality. Any suggestions??

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
As a mobile goalie, Vaughn is where it's at imo. I had a Reebok one like 5 years ago and sold it because it was so restrictive i could only do half of what i was used to doing.

I would try a Warrior I think, they seem to look like I would be able to move around in there.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the one i have....

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 09:15 AM
StrangeVision

I have a Passau. It might not be the most protective C/A on the market (compared to something like Brown) but it certainly gets the job done and is very mobile.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 11:16 AM
goalie29

I've tried a number of brands over the last 10 years, and I agree, Vaughn for the mobility. I've never had the chance to use any from the smaller companies like Passau, but they definitely get great reviews.

Gently used ones can be had, as well. Sometimes people try one and don't like them. It can be a cheaper way to try different brands/models to decide which you like the best. That's how I came to settle on Vaughn.

Last edited by goalie29: 03-08-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling
goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
As a mobile goalie, Vaughn is where it's at imo. I had a Reebok one like 5 years ago and sold it because it was so restrictive i could only do half of what i was used to doing.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Gone through a pair of Vaughn chest protectors and they've been my favorite. Picked up a Reebok pro chest protector on clearance and I've barely used it in the last three years.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 11:51 AM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
If it's within your budget, go for Passau. I haven't used one of their C/A's myself but everyone who has says nothing but amazing things about them. I don't think they are bullet-proof tanks like a Brown, as StrangeVision noted, but you aren't going to be getting many stingers in their Pro model.

Looking at other brands, I had a Warrior that was supremely mobile. It was only the senior model though, so while it was great for roller, I got my ass kicked on ice. I think their pro models would be a good option for you though, with a nicer balance of mobility and protection.

I currently use an older Brian's Zero G that I love. It's as protective as ever, but is so broken and dialed in, it's perfectly mobile as well. When I first get it, it was much stiffer and little restrictive, but it broke in beautifully in time. On that note, you may want to consider a second hand chesty as they will be easier on the wallet and already broken in. It might seem a little gross but it's nothing a good OxyClean bath in the tub can't fix.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote