HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Riley Boychuk to NJD for Henrik Tallinder

Old
07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Karate Johnson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. I didn't think Buffalo was even close to 50 contracts signed.

By my count, we're at 45 contracts COUNTING the RFAs that have yet to sign.

So why did NJ have to take a contract back?
We need room for contracts if Vanek/Miller alone return multiple players.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:21 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Only two possible rationales here:

(1) The theory that Tyler Myers craves some kind of mental security blanket. I don't get this argument, we all know Tallinder cant play the role he did 3 years ago.

(2) He makes the kids earn their spots on the blueline. This argument only works if Darcy's actually willing to send him to Rochester if he's outplayed in training camp. If Hank's just going to keep Ristolainen from having a shot in the NHL this year, I see that as more harm than good.

Don't particularly like the move. I don't have the sense that Hank's a leader or a model of the type of defenseman we want to develop.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
The Amerks still need several players replaced.
Don't all need to be Sabres contracts though. Amerks could sign them to AHL deals.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Yes. I forgot this. 18 year old who play in the AHL have their contract slide if they play less than 9 NHL games. Girgensons contract slid last year.

Devine's original statement probably hasn't changed. They want Risto in Rochester if he signs.
If they play 10 or more games there contract doesnt slide.

I think Risto stays in rochester the first half of the year then gets a call up in January and see if he earns a right to stay.

Girgs---I think he will get an injury call up for 5-7 games. But they keep him under the 10 games.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. I didn't think Buffalo was even close to 50 contracts signed.

By my count, we're at 45 contracts COUNTING the RFAs that have yet to sign.

So why did NJ have to take a contract back?
Because why not? Boychuk isn't in the plans, so get some more flexibility to do other things.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Wait... Who the hell is Reilly Boychuk? I honestly thought I was on the wrong forum at first, or this was a necro-bump or something.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
I LOL'd when I read this. This season will be interesting for sure...I am expecting a lot of suffering.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:24 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Don't all need to be Sabres contracts though. Amerks could sign them to AHL deals.
No. Veterans like Mancari/Tarnasky/Bagnall etc. won't sign AHL only contracts. No one would ever agree to play with the Amerks on an AHL deal that was any good.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Not a very tank-friendly move but on the other hand, Hank rhymes with Tank. Cost was nothing, might help Myers, doesn't make us force rookies into roles. On the other hand, it might keep a deserving rookie out of the line-up. It'll be good to see him back out on the ice, he was one of my favorite Sabres.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

How anyone can complain about this move is beyond me... trading essentially nothing in Boychuk for a guy who has easily been the best partner for Myers during his NHL career, and could potentially spark his game again. If Hank's injuries continue to be a problem, whatever. He's got one year left and they traded, I repeat, Riley Boychuk for him. What exactly is the downside of this trade?

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:28 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
How anyone can complain about this move is beyond me... trading essentially nothing in Boychuk for a guy who has easily been the best partner for Myers during his NHL career, and could potentially spark his game again. If Hank's injuries continue to be a problem, whatever. He's got one year left and they traded, I repeat, Riley Boychuk for him. What exactly is the downside of this trade?
Keeps deserving kids out of the lineup, and doesn't deserve a spot himself. That's the fear.

Hank isn't going to restore Myers' game. He's not the same defenseman he was.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Karate Johnson*

Darcy could already know the fate of the team. He could know its only a matter of time with Miller and Vanek trades....

He could know we are going to be awful next year.

He may prefer to keep anyone who can stay in Rochester and play decent minutes playing in Rochester to avoid the horrible last place finish.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:29 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Because he's a former Sabre.

If his name was Daniel Arvedsson and he had never played for the Sabres, but everything about him was the same, there would be less outcry. Except from those who think the only good move would be to sign all the big name players, who would be placated by nothing less than trading for Shea Weber.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Wait... Who the hell is Reilly Boychuk? I honestly thought I was on the wrong forum at first, or this was a necro-bump or something.
Contract dump. (Riley, 7th, 2010, was a signing mistake)
Sabres must have plans to sign a few more depth players which would bump them close to the 50 contract limit.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:33 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Because he's a former Sabre.

If his name was Daniel Arvedsson and he had never played for the Sabres, but everything about him was the same, there would be less outcry. Except from those who think the only good move would be to sign all the big name players, who would be placated by nothing less than trading for Shea Weber.
Well, we are taking a symbolic step backwards in an effort to hopefully take more or more steps forwards.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:34 PM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
They acquired an asset for free, pretty much. How is this a bad thing?
Because it's basically robbing our young D of NHL development time

At this very moment, our top 7 D is essentially set

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Tallinder-McBain
Suzler

Due to the one way nature of their contracts, this is likely concrete barring a move.

Let's say, however, into camp, one of McNabb, McCabe, Ruhwedel, Ristolainen, or Zadorov shows they are more than NHL ready? Suddenly, we are forced with either burying a contract, carrying 8 d-men, or letting a player play in league that won't really help their NHL development.

More importantly, this takes away 3.4 million in cap space, something that may come into play if we need to take on salary to move Miller/Vanek. Salary cap space IS an asset, and even more so now that the cap has come down. Unless there is something coming down the pipe in the immediate future, this deal makes little sense to me.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:36 PM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Tallinder-McBain
Suzler
I realized after my last post, that HAS to be the softest D in the league. Bar none. Miller better hope he gets traded, because whoever is on our net, you are gonna have at least 2 forwards crashing into you every shift, because outside of Weber, none one of those D-men is going to make you pay any price.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:38 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
More importantly, this takes away 3.4 million in cap space, something that may come into play if we need to take on salary to move Miller/Vanek. Salary cap space IS an asset, and even more so now that the cap has come down. Unless there is something coming down the pipe in the immediate future, this deal makes little sense to me.
Cap room is not even close to being a problem. We're more likely to need help making the cap floor if we trade Vanek and Miller.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Keeps deserving kids out of the lineup, and doesn't deserve a spot himself. That's the fear.

Hank isn't going to restore Myers' game. He's not the same defenseman he was.

Keeps deserving kids (in) the (Rochester) lineup (for development).

Fixed for positivity.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:39 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Keeps deserving kids (in) the (Rochester) lineup (for development).

Fixed for positivity.
Fixed for nonsense, more like it. If they deserve to be in the NHL, you don't "help" them by making them play in a league that they're better than.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:40 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Isn't that the point of the AHL? I'm not singling you out, but this is always one of the most perplexing things about Sabres fans. I complain about the Sabres needing to get more AHL veterans, people scream to me about the AHL being a developmental league. So the Sabres go out an acquire a defenseman that will cause a young defenseman prospect to get development time in the AHL, and people complain about how this is taking away developmental time in the NHL.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:41 PM
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~

Quote:

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Tallinder-McBain
Suzler

Due to the one way nature of their contracts, this is likely concrete barring a move.

Let's say, however, into camp, one of McNabb, McCabe, Ruhwedel, Ristolainen, or Zadorov shows they are more than NHL ready? Suddenly, we are forced with either burying a contract, carrying 8 d-men, or letting a player play in league that won't really help their NHL development.

AHL and SHL development will be fine for the "NHL-ready" guys. Those that aren't will benefit from having more time to work on the holes IMO. Beyond that kicking out Miller and Vanek would free u nearly 14 million. There's no way in hell this team nears the cap if that happens.

MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~

Quote:
Fixed for nonsense, more like it. If they deserve to be in the NHL, you don't "help" them by making them play in a league that they're better than.
There is no deserve. And prospects don't get markedly worse playing in a league they're better than. Look at the lockout years.

MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Who deserves to be in the NHL? Lots of D take time in the minors. It's not going to hurt their development.

I'm sure that all NHL GM's would be okay with breaking one or two rookie D on the NHL club at the same time, but not three at the same time.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
There is no deserve. And prospects don't get markedly worse playing in a league they're better than. Look at the lockout years.
This!