HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[NJ/BUF] Henrik Tallinder for Riley Boychuk

Old
07-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Good trade for both teams simply because Tallinder is a terrible DMan for his contract on the Devils, but he showed great chemistry with Myers and I assume Buffalo is counting on that coming back.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Inno

Tallinder won't be able to pull anything at the deadline, unless he returns to his former glory.

Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
Tallinder isnt by any means a bad defenseman. just time for us to part
Overpaid and blocking younger guys. Not bad. Agreed. I assume Boychuk is ECHL bound? Was Buffalo near the contract limit?

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:46 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfat View Post
Sweet, he clears waivers to play in Rochester yet also is able to pull in a second or third rounder at the deadline.

Exactly!
Tallinder isn't getting dealt at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, there is a reason Regier would do this move other than offer Tally a chance to play in Rochacha on his way to a coaching gig.
I strongly suspect one of McNabb, Pysyk or one of the young D guns is being packaged. Just a hunch, as I said though. It makes no sense to bring in Tallinder otherwise really and Regier is consistent if nothing else, he doesn't make moves for the sake of making moves, there is always an end game for him.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:48 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Overpaid and blocking younger guys. Not bad. Agreed. I assume Boychuk is ECHL bound? Was Buffalo near the contract limit?
yea Lou said Boychuk is a minor player. not sure about the contract situation. I know Devils had to take a contract back so I assume it was an issue Buffalo's end

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:49 PM
dbzfanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Was Buffalo near the contract limit?
Not that I know of. 39 players on roster, a total of 45 including RFAs.

dbzfanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:52 PM
static80

Quote:
yea Lou said Boychuk is a minor player. not sure about the contract situation. I know Devils had to take a contract back so I assume it was an issue Buffalo's end
Yea, I agree it was. Buffalo has contract space, but may need that contract space to remain free, it allows them some flexibility at the very least if a Vanek or Miller deal offered multiple contract returns. Same can be said about the Sabres retaining their CBO's.

Tallinder should do ok in Buf for the last year of that contract, barring any injuries of course. Was sorry, both for Devils fans as well as Tally that he didn't get to use his prime years effectively there, he's really a decent D man.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

So who gets called up now?

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:39 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Lou said he hasnt decided between Gelinas, Urbom, Merrill or Severson

imo it should be Gelinas>Urbom>Merrill>Severson

based on skill and readiness

its going to be a 4-way battle for the spot at camp though. this is assuming Zid doesnt get resigned though. but the rumour is he wants 2 years at 4.5M per. so its unlikely

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
ghdi

Quote:
It'll probably be an open competition in camp between the likes of Gelinas, Merrill, and Urbom.

EDIT Forgot that Lou mentioned Severson as well.

ghdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Devils dump cap, Buffalo moves a contract not in their future. Good deal for both.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:02 PM
joe89

Tallinder was very solid at the World Champs. Can still play 18 minutes a game imo. One year left of this contract, his next deal will be much cheaper.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:02 PM
apice3*

I don't think Lou really wanted a return. He just needed to move a body and get some space. Obviously he would have taken a better return, but Tallinder going to Buffalo is not a coincidence.

Lou likely talked to Tallinder and then did his best to get him to Buffalo where Tallinder was comfortable. And while he didn't get a great return, things like this make him a well-liked GM. It won't convince a Crosby type player to come here, but when a depth guy is debating between NJ and someone else, little things like this give NJ an edge since they can't compete with the bankrolls of other markets.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Although Urbom is probably the most NHL ready dman given his 3 years in the A, I think it is between Gelinas and Merrill as we need a dman with some offensive skills.

Merrill hasn't even played a full season of pro but given his stint at the end of last season was so successful, I would put him the favorite. He can also QB a PP compared to Gelinas who is more a shooter on the PP than a passer like Merrill.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:30 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Is Riley Boychuk the prospect who got the DUI when dressed as a teletubby?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
No, that's Riley Sheahan.

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Lou said he hasnt decided between Gelinas, Urbom, Merrill or Severson

imo it should be Gelinas>Urbom>Merrill>Severson

based on skill and readiness

its going to be a 4-way battle for the spot at camp though. this is assuming Zid doesnt get resigned though. but the rumour is he wants 2 years at 4.5M per. so its unlikely
If Lou is serious about Severson, then Severson may be the first one to get a chance, just because he can't go to the AHL. But that decision is going to be made in camp.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:08 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

devils ready to sign grabo, to play with kovi

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:14 PM
PJ A Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I love comments like this.

You don't think he didn't? Lol
That kind and "Why didn't [insert your teams GM] give them a call?" are priceless every time.

PJ A Oates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:25 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
This is the funniest post I've ever read on HF

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:35 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Agreed. I don't know what is going on but as the roster stands now, this move doesn't really give Tallinder any better playing opportunities than he had in NJ as some fans seem to be suggesting. I mean maybe he beats out some of Buffalo's younger guys but is that really what you want to do when you say you are rebuilding? With the addition of Sulzer and now Tallinder... something is up.
I think you're reading too much into this move. Sulzer is a 6-7th defenseman, and we needed more lefties after trading Sekera. Veterans especially since our right side is going to consist of Myers, Pysyk, and one of Ruhwedel/Ristolainen/McBain. Our left side will now have Tallinder, Ehrhoff, and Weber, with Sulzer starting as the extra, and McNabb likely the first call up.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I think you're reading too much into this move. Sulzer is a 6-7th defenseman, and we needed more lefties after trading Sekera. Veterans especially since our right side is going to consist of Myers, Pysyk, and one of Ruhwedel/Ristolainen/McBain. Our left side will now have Tallinder, Ehrhoff, and Weber, with Sulzer starting as the extra, and McNabb likely the first call up.
I don't believe you've read enough into it.

How do you get McNabb close to the first call up is only 1 of Ruhwedel/Ristolainen/McBain are on the roster? I would think at the very least, 1 of the other 2 that don't get the slot would be 1st in line.

I agree with the poster on the subject, these signings, without a trade, screw McNabb and it is heavily agreed by many (myself included after watching him in Roch. for some games) that he is ready for the next step.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:47 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post

How do you get McNabb close to the first call up is only 1 of Ruhwedel/Ristolainen/McBain are on the roster? I would think at the very least, 1 of the other 2 that don't get the slot would be 1st in line.

I agree with the poster on the subject, these signings, without a trade, screw McNabb and it is heavily agreed by many (myself included after watching him in Roch. for some games) that he is ready for the next step.
By virtue of having left-handed defensemen over the age of 25 under contract. My point is, our right side is -- no ifs, ands, or buts -- going to be LOADED with young puck-moving defensemen, because we don't have any other choice. Two problems with that: 1) somebody, somewhere on the roster, has to focus on keeping the puck out of our net; and 2) it's really, really hard for coaches to work more than one rookie d-man into the line-up without putting guys in all kinds of roles/minutes they aren't ready for.

Tallinder helps fix both of those problems. McNabb will still get his chances, but he'll have to earn them.
This move has nothing to do with McNabb. It has everything to do with who's playing the other side of the blue line.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Djp

Quote:
Agreed. I don't know what is going on but as the roster stands now, this move doesn't really give Tallinder any better playing opportunities than he had in NJ as some fans seem to be suggesting. I mean maybe he beats out some of Buffalo's younger guys but is that really what you want to do when you say you are rebuilding? With the addition of Sulzer and now Tallinder... something is up.
Nothing is up. Ruhwedel still could use time in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post

projected:
Ehrhoff Pysyk
Myers Talinder
Weber McBain
Sulzer

Ruhwedel, McNabb, and Risto likely spends time in Rochester. for all 3 of these players you would rather have them playing full time in Rochester than sitting in the press box in Buffalo. That goes toward player development.

Injuries will happen---the first call up likely will be McNabb or Ruhwedel depending on who was playing better.

with Risto they have a 9 game limit otherwise they burn a yr.

Part of the reason for acquiring McBain was Rolston knew him from the US developmental program.

Talinder and Sulzer are on one yr contracts.

Sulzer could easily get sent down to Rochester is one of the others pushes him out.

By having more people in you ha

ve competition which is a good thing for player development.

another issue with Ruhwedel and McNabb to remember...they are both RFAs in 014. If they limit their play this year they can get more cost controls on contract extensions.

In 2014 when they are RFAs, they could sign them to cheaper contracts if they control their amount of NHL play.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:17 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Nothing is up. Ruhwedel still could use time in the AHL.

projected:
Ehrhoff Pysyk
Myers Talinder
Weber McBain
Sulzer

Ruhwedel, McNabb, and Risto likely spends time in Rochester. for all 3 of these players you would rather have them playing full time in Rochester than sitting in the press box in Buffalo. That goes toward player development.

Injuries will happen---the first call up likely will be McNabb or Ruhwedel depending on who was playing better.

with Risto they have a 9 game limit otherwise they burn a yr.

Part of the reason for acquiring McBain was Rolston knew him from the US developmental program.

Talinder and Sulzer are on one yr contracts.

Sulzer could easily get sent down to Rochester is one of the others pushes him out.

By having more people in you ha

ve competition which is a good thing for player development.

another issue with Ruhwedel and McNabb to remember...they are both RFAs in 014. If they limit their play this year they can get more cost controls on contract extensions.

In 2014 when they are RFAs, they could sign them to cheaper contracts if they control their amount of NHL play
very good info to know and opens a broader view of the potential moves by Regier, thank you.