HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the Kessel Trade leaning Toronto's way now?

Old
07-08-2013, 12:38 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
In the end I think a line has to be drawn in how far we start balancing this trade. First it was Kessel for picks, those picks became Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight. Then Seguin was a part of a trade that brought back Eriksson. At some point this just spirals out of control .

At this point can say I'm happy to have Kessel and what we gave up really isn't a bother to me. We'll see how the careers of all these players turn out, but at this point I'm fine with it. Kessel's become a much more well-rounded player who can score, set guys up, and will get himself back into the defensive zone.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:38 AM
RickyVaive

vCash: 500
A rebuilding team trading away 1st round picks is never a good idea. It doesn't matter that Boston traded away Seguin or what they got in return. It's WAY too early to compare the players involved. Suguin still isn't as old as Kessel was when he was traded and Hamilton just finished a fairly impressive rookie season.
Phil Kessel is a great skater and a streaky scorer and up until this year had no concept of backchecking. Kessel is getting better. Seguin and Hamilton will definitely get better. I just think that Seguin seems like a player that you can build your team around. Phil Kessel is like a better version of Petr Klima (for those of you old enough to remember him). A nifty player but not a guy to build your franchise around.

RickyVaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:56 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyVaive View Post
A rebuilding team trading away 1st round picks is never a good idea. It doesn't matter that Boston traded away Seguin or what they got in return. It's WAY too early to compare the players involved. Suguin still isn't as old as Kessel was when he was traded and Hamilton just finished a fairly impressive rookie season.
Phil Kessel is a great skater and a streaky scorer and up until this year had no concept of backchecking. Kessel is getting better. Seguin and Hamilton will definitely get better. I just think that Seguin seems like a player that you can build your team around. Phil Kessel is like a better version of Petr Klima (for those of you old enough to remember him). A nifty player but not a guy to build your franchise around.
Someone put it best earlier saying Seguin wouldn't have helped us make the play-offs this year but Kessel did help us do it. Your comparing Kessel to Klima is just asking for a fight lol.

Here is klima's stats lol and never played for us:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2750

Last edited by leafspring*: 07-08-2013 at 01:02 AM.
leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:28 AM
agropop

If Boston knew then that 1 of the two 1sts wouldn't last any longer than their ELC with the Bruins and Kessel would go on to become one of the leagues top offensive producers do they make the trade?

No.

agropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:46 AM
RonEllisFan

What people always forget is that he trade was not for Tyler, it was a pick, just so happens leafs finished low and won the lotto, and got the second overall, probably BB did not consider that. Another thing is, how long will we disscuss this, man I'm tired of it.

RonEllisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:56 AM
The_Chosen_One

Hamilton could be the difference maker. He's a Phaneuf-class defenceman who seems a lot more mobile than him as well. If his puck moving ability develops further, he would be a lot more complete than Dion. I see someone like Dougie becoming a lot more important than an offensive guy like Tyler Seguin.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:14 AM
kilgore111

Quote:
Originally Posted by agropop View Post
If Boston knew then that 1 of the two 1sts wouldn't last any longer than their ELC with the Bruins and Kessel would go on to become one of the leagues top offensive producers do they make the trade?

No.
See what happens this year, Seguin is only 21 and already people are making like his career is over

And of course don't forget Hamilton who is one of the better young D prospects

kilgore111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:34 AM
jasonleaffan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore111 View Post
See what happens this year, Seguin is only 21 and already people are making like his career is over

Yeah but with out kessel we would not have finished where we did to land us in the position to draft moriles or kadri for that matter. You see how it just starts to get stupid after a while. The trade was kessel for 2 1st and a 2nd. Nothing more nothing less. Are we running around saying we traded kabs for percy i think? colborne and liles? No we are not. Well I'm not.

jasonleaffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:13 AM
agropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore111 View Post

If Seguin lights it up in Dallas, does Boston win the trade?

agropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:09 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
If Boston got mid or late 1st round picks from us, we would have won that trade easily. But a 2nd, 32nd and a 9th is an over payment.

Its like Calgary giving us 2 1st's and a 2nd for Kadri.

Yes, Kadri will be a great player just like Kessel but Calgary is rebuildling and undoubtly will be getting high draft picks for the next few years.

So no, we lost. Did we gain some ground? A bit, but we still lost.
....if Kadri scored 36 goals as a 21 year old and then followed it up with 9 goals in 14 playoff games **** would hit the fan if we traded him for 2 1sts and a 2nd to Calgary.

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:13 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Petr Klima..... Hahahahahhaha
Your comparing Kessel to Klima... You made my night. Thank you!!! Remember to take your pills

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:22 AM
thainer21

vCash: 485
I dont think we lost to be honest. We got what we needed, at the time that we needed. I dont believe in calling trades won/lost when there has been obvious positive impact on both sides.

If we hadve just drafted and had to wait for players to develop we wouldnt have gotten what we needed, and probably wouldve sucked for a few more seasons than just now. Trades arent only about the players involved, but how they affect the team, and at the time they do. Bozak wouldnt be who he is without Kessel, neither would JVR or Lupul. Our entire team changed, for the positive, when Kessel came to town, and hopefully if we sign him for 8 more years at 8-9 million, we will reap benefits for the next 8 years, and beyond.

thainer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:27 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
LMAO Petr Klima. That is comical.

Seguin has shown nothing that warrants a GM building a team around him.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:32 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Look back over the last 4 years, some teams benefit by subtraction. So the list of players Boston now has because of the trade are. Use of Seguin for 3 years, Hamilton, Erickson and Knight not to mention the money they saved and thus were able to put the extra 3 to 4million per year into yet another player.

1 cup and another final appearance. Please Boston won it allthe way, I'mnot upset just stating my opinion.
this happens with or without Seguin ...and for that matter, if they had KEssel, rather than the do nothing Seguin they likely would have won another cup this year too.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Wonder Dan
Fairies Wear Boots

Send a message via Yahoo to Wonder Dan
...Lets move on children...constantly dwelling on the past...*shakes head*

Wonder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:58 AM
tans66

We are still beatin' this old horse. The trade for Kessel. I feel we did over pay for him, just in the fact an offer sheet would have been less. Kinda proves it there. Burke sticking to his morals, scruples is find with me. Right or wrong I respect that.
As for the players, picks involved, I would say we got in Kessel exactly what we expected. Heck he might be even more valuable, as to his playmaking abilities, & now a touch of defence to his game. Management happy. Also on a nice but now expiring contract.
Kessel counterparts, Sequin, hamilton, knight. Well Boston shipped Sequin to Dallas, with PC bootprint on his A#!.Hmmm did Sequin learn anything, appartly not. His twitter acct hacked lol. Sure. He plays soft and was dropping down Bostons lineup. With a 5+ mil contract about to kick in, Boston said no thanks..Speaks volumes. Hamilton sat on the bench and watched the playoffs. Knight don't know.
Will Sequin get his act together,will Hamilton mature into his role, will Knight ever get a sniff??? Alot of questions. Kessel on the other hand, 30-40 goals in stone,only question we are asking when is 50.
Until one of or the sum of the players match or surpass Kessel, we have won.

A bird in the hand is worth more then two ( or three in this case) in the bush.
Kessel is in our hand the others are still in the bush.

tans66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:48 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
They won a cup, Seguin was a big part of that, the team went to the final 2 of the 4 years since Kessel left, game set and match.
LOL yeah ok there buddy with your "game, set, and match". He barely played in the first cup run, and in case you didn't notice he had two goals in 4 rounds of playoff hockey and in the middle of the Leafs series he was out partying meanwhile Kessel was stealing games in a hostile environment in Boston. Considering they traded him shortly after, surely he wasn't much of a contributor to the team? Thought that was pretty obvious. I have a problem with people just making statements like this and saying end of discussion. Seguin will never be the player Kessel is.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Sproo

I was willing to say that we held a small edge in this trade based on Kessel's skill, but upon reading about the latest Seguin homophobic tweet I think the Leafs are pulling ahead on this trade based both on player skill & character.

Sproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:12 PM
AuraSphere

I don't understand what your peoples problem is... cut it out with this stuff...

nonetheless, we didn't win it still. Even if tyler seguin was traded, he was traded for loui eriksson, who I feel is very very close to Kessel's skill level.

On top of that, think of us giving top prospects in hamilton and knight.

Eriksson + Hamilton + Knight for Kessel? No we didn't win..

Honestly, just cut this stuff out -.-

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM
ACC1224

It's always been a good trade.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
....if Kadri scored 36 goals as a 21 year old and then followed it up with 9 goals in 14 playoff games **** would hit the fan if we traded him for 2 1sts and a 2nd to Calgary.
What if Kadri scored 36 goals as a 21 year old while actually with the leafs? What if the leafs traded him after that season solely because of cap problems? What if the leafs won the cup the next year anyways.
Would leaf fans really be upset at the 2nd and 9th overall picks?

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:25 PM
sangreale

I have no intention on weighing in on who won the trade. I am wondering how Seguin is going to hold up to the pressure of playing in the role of number 1 center in Dallas. It dould go either way, He could revel in the extended playing time or fold under the pressure. What happens will perhaps be a true measure of his character.

Also I would not be too quick to make a judgement and would give him "at least" the better part of a season to make a decision on that, as I am sure Dallas has already decided. This is long term move for them and him. Hopefully for his sake he will embrace it.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
RickyVaive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
Petr Klima..... Hahahahahhaha
Your comparing Kessel to Klima... You made my night. Thank you!!! Remember to take your pills
I'm glad you enjoyed my post. I did say "a better version of Petr Klima." Klima was no slouch if you recall. His first three seasons in the NHL looked like this:
GP G A PTS
74 32 24 56
77 30 23 53
78 37 25 62
Also, he had a 40 goal season, 3 30 goal seasons, and finished his career with more than 300 goals.

I was making the comparison to demonstrate what kind of player he is - a quick sniper who didn't know where his own end was. Like I said, Kessel is getting better but the players that Boston drafted with the picks are still all under 21 so we can't talk about who is the best player yet.

RickyVaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
achtungbaby

We could have just kept our picks and played out the season before giving up a massive package of draft picks when we should have been rebuilding. Semin became a UFA not long after, we could have added goalscoring that way, at least it wouldn't have cost any assets. Instead we hurried a rebuild because our GM wasn't willing to wait 5 years and it took us that long to improve anyways.

Had this trade been made by a contender I don't believe that anyone would have had a problem with it. As it happened, it looked ridiculous and couldn't have turned out worse. We finished 2nd last in the NHL and the Bruins went on to win the Cup. We can spin this however we want to make ourselves feel better about it, but it's still an embarrassing trade.

achtungbaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
...Lets move on children...constantly dwelling on the past...*shakes head*
This.

Please.

We got the best player in the deal who provided the greatest immediate impact on a substantial level. We won the deal. It's over. Move on.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote