HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Optimism Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

vCash: 500
I am the eternal optimist. (except when i get a bit uggh LOL)

I have said it forever and always. the team could dress 23 poo flinging monkeys, and I'll cheer them on, and expect them to win the Cup. I think this year, that the playoffs should be expected, and I really hope the media and everyone really ignores them as they did last year. Basically until we started playing in April poorly, the Leafs weren't mentioned. it was all the drahmah in Ottawa and Montreal being really well. I think the media pressure not being on the leafs really benefited the team.

I feel in my bones that we're just going to really shock some people how well we're going to do this season. this is my reasoning

A: this is an upgraded team from the team last year. bonus.

B: if it were me, I would have that game seven loss motivating them every step of the way. they will work SO much harder to ensure that they don't blow leads, or work harder to encourage overtime, and capitalize on things that they may not have had before.

C: they fully have this all "all for one, and one for all thing going on." they live as a team/die as a team. I was listening to some leafs podcasts at work, and Mirtle was so surprised that they were so "yeah, man, we're going to come back and get this." when they were down 3-1. that's the motivation they've got and I don't see that changing.

(this is my favourite leafs commerical ever):

D: I think we can always take two roads. the Positive Road and the Negative Road. (and believe it or not, I generally always take the negative one LOL except for my boys!). but I personally think if we're going to exert energy into being negative about the Leafs, or being positive, why not be positive?

E: people want to play for us now. Letang said if he were going to be traded, he wanted to be with the Leafs. and you can take that with all the salt in the sea, but that just made me giddy. Clarkson took a cut to come home (hate the term or not, it doesn't change the fact generally people don't do that). Mcclemment did the same thing. I think the better we play the more of a destination place. You can call me crazy but I think Stamkos (unless something wild and crazy happens) is coming to Toronto when he's a free agent. (i've explained why several times).

Allons-y, Leafs!

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
We all seen Jake get his mojo back in the play-offs bro right. Carlyle will be relentless i think in bringing out every possible ounce of talent Jake has in him.LOL, unfortunately it will be a high price to keep him if it happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtabo View Post
Phaneuf had his best season as a leaf but no mention?
In my rant I missed two of my favourite moments, thanks for reminding me! I loved Jake's reaction when he scored that wrister on Rask in the first home game. Phaneuf seems to be improving still, a very good reason to be optimistic indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsToronto View Post
Hell yeah man, great thread

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Neil Hamburger
Five Bagger!

vCash: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
And a #2 D-man. There is no Seabrook to the Keith or a Seidenberg to the Chara on this team yet.
I think Rielly can be that guy, but we'll have to wait a little while.

Neil Hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Jtabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
In my rant I missed two of my favourite moments, thanks for reminding me! I loved Jake's reaction when he scored that wrister on Rask in the first home game. Phaneuf seems to be improving still, a very good reason to be optimistic indeed.

Exactly, steady improvement in Dions game since joining the Leafs. I think we will only see more of that from him under Randy. He was 11th in Norris voting this year, I say he cracks top 10 next year. Ill bookmark this and eat my words next off-season if he isn't.

Jtabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Jtabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Who knows. Brodin did it for Suter at 19. The only diference really between Phaneuf and Suter last year was Kostka vs Brodin.

Jtabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:51 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
In the name of being optomistic he could. I would rather he played with the leafs as a 7th than moosejaw this year is all i can say on that really. He is in need of experience defensively right now and moosejaw is not where he will get it.

I would simply tell him to play his offensive game and i will coach you on your mistakes as we go and just work hard ,practice hard and we'll go from there and you won't play every game.

Rielly is more NHL ready than Schenn was in some aspects of his game imo.

Last edited by leafspring*: 07-08-2013 at 12:06 AM.
leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:12 AM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Im comfortable with this team and here is why:

Kunitz/Crosby/Dupuis vs. JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Neal/Malkin/Jokinen vs. Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson
Bennett/Sutter/Jeffery vs. Kulemin/McClemment/Bolland
Glass/Vitale/Adams vs. McLaren/Colborne/Orr

Letang/Scuderi vs. Gunnarsson/Phanuef
Orpik/Martin vs. Gardiner/Franson
Niskanen/Despres vs. Fraser/O'Byrne

Fleury/Vokoun vs. Reimer/Bernier

I figure the best team in the NHL is still Pitts. Leaf Reds can shutdown Pitts Reds. Leaf Maroons can wipe the floor with Pitts Maroons. The Greys cancel each other out. Leaf Blues over Pitts Blues as a last line of defence. If Bozak can completely shadow Crosby in a 7 game series, JVR and Kessel can overpower Pitts Blacks. All Kadri has to do is practice his faceoffs this summer and maybe we can be a threat in the East.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
I am the eternal optimist. (except when i get a bit uggh LOL)
Great post, thanks for that write up! That commercial definitely gave me goosebumps. McLaren celly is priceless. What a warrior that guy is.

Love when he took down Kassian and he mocked him with "the belt" gesture.

Oh and Kaleta getting fed by Orr, while McLaren distracted Scott? Absolutely priceless.

Old
07-08-2013, 01:29 AM
DD03
3D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Great post, thanks for that write up! That commercial definitely gave me goosebumps. McLaren celly is priceless. What a warrior that guy is.

Love when he took down Kassian and he mocked him with "the belt" gesture.

Oh and Kaleta getting fed by Orr, while McLaren distracted Scott? Absolutely priceless.
Man oh man, if anyone ever deserved that. It was Kaleta.

DD03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:43 AM
CanadianLov3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Man oh man, if anyone ever deserved that. It was Kaleta.
Lol I can still play that day in my head.

The entire family jumping off the couch, fist pumping in the air, cheering out loud as if it were a boxing match.

CanadianLov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLov3 View Post
Lol I can still play that day in my head.

The entire family jumping off the couch, fist pumping in the air, cheering out loud as if it were a boxing match.
haha same, had friends texting me "are you seeing this??"

Now that was exciting. The team killed off the penalty too, which made it even sweeter.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:29 AM
HellasLEAF
Auston 20:16

Don't get me started. Some of these supposed Leaf fans I know poo pooing everything. And here I'm loving these players.

Ridiculous. I think I'm just gonna post in here for a while.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:37 AM
AuGsY

Great Post, this is a very deep leaf team we will have next year. Guys like Kadri, JVR, Franson, and Gardiner are going to come back even better than last year. We also added a potential elite goalie in Bernier, plus 2 gritty top 9 forwards in Clarkson and Bolland. Can't wait for the season to start.

AuGsY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:04 AM
BIitz
GRANT = SOFT

vCash: 50
As mostly a pessimistic person regarding the Leafs, I do see some signs of optimism.

At the end of the day, every pessimistic Leaf fan would love nothing more than to be proven wrong, we all love this team after all.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Remuskokafication

As much I don't like reading the sheer volume of it, I enjoy all the complaining. I honestly get the feeling it's just people who love to whine and moan about everything dealing with the fact the Leafs are becoming a legit team and they're losing one of their favorite outlets.

The Leafs came within 2 minutes of beating the runner up for the Stanley Cup. They blew it, but I think we're a lot closer to being a contender than people are willing to say.

Remuskokafication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:17 AM
LaymanX

i) We've become one of the toughest teams to play against. Bolland, Kadri to chirp, Orr, McLaren, Fraser, Clarkson to enforce
ii) No more watching Scrivens lose sight of a puck or bobble an innocent shot (I loved him, but he made me age prematurely)
iii) No more watching Grabo (also was one of my favorite leafs, but trying to be positive here!) get knocked off the puck or stripped of it
iv) Hopefully Kadri and Gardiner take that next step forward for development!

LaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 855
I love everything that happened, with the exception of 4.2 mil to Bozak. He should have walked. I really don't get it.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:31 AM
ULF_55

Progress is a good thing.

Long term progress is the best as you end up with a Detroit situation not a Rangers one and done.

The feeling of watching your team win the Cup is extraordinary.

You'll change your demands after seeing your team at the top.

The 197475 season saw another change to its playoff system to accommodate the league of 18 teams, twelve of which qualified for the playoffs. The top team from each division would earn a bye to the quarterfinal, while the second- and third-place teams from each division started their playoff run from a best-of-three preliminary round.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Commander Clueless
Spaz-o-matic Dan

Opti-whatnow?

Last season was awesome as a Leafs fan (right up until the last few minu *censored*).

It gave us all a lot to cheer for (finally) and hope for the future.

This offseason was , overall, solid I think. I really like the aqcuisition of Clarkson (I do not like the contract at all, but I do like the player). I've never been a big Bolland fan, but I know he is an effective player so I am quite happy to have him in that sense. The Grabovski buyout was strange to me, but for whatever reason Carlyle did not like him. I don't think it was entirely on Carlyle's side (as Grabo played quite selfishly without many results last year) but I was kind of expecting the Leafs to give him a chance at redemption. I am, however, happy to have Bozak back. Despite the irrational hatred that some have for him (probably because he lacks offense) he is an effective player and a good guy to have around. With MacArthur gone (to the Ott*** Sen****s), I'm hoping either he or McClement gets the second 'A'.

However, I am attempting to fight a sense of dread at the new (idiotic) conference/division configuration. With Detroit returning to our division, an extra team in our conference and an extra team in our division, our playoff chances go down. I am still optimi-whateveryousaid for a great showing from our boys, but it will be harder to make it next year no question.

Here's hoping for the future!

Go Leafs Go

Commander Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
In the name of being optomistic he could. I would rather he played with the leafs as a 7th than moosejaw this year is all i can say on that really. He is in need of experience defensively right now and moosejaw is not where he will get it.

I would simply tell him to play his offensive game and i will coach you on your mistakes as we go and just work hard ,practice hard and we'll go from there and you won't play every game.

Rielly is more NHL ready than Schenn was in some aspects of his game imo.
Gosh I hope not. No need to play him like 10 minutes a game or sit him for a few games in a row till someone starts crapping the bed. If he's playing in Toronto, he needs a top 4 role IMO.

I agree, Rielly is far and ahead of Schenn at the same age. He's got a shot, unreal vision, great skating abilities. Schenn had none of those things.

07-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Pilky01

I swear I am not trying to maintain a shtick where I just choose the contrarian viewpoint to the prevailing group think, but I am genuinely optimistic about this team moving forward.

Clarkson may have been a bit of an overpayment, but in two years time the cap will have skyrocketed and his deal will look like a mere pittance. In fact, every deal signed this off season will look like a steal in a couple years time.

I loved Grabovski's hustle, but he didn't/doesn't fit into the system Carlye is establishing. Especially not at his cap hit. Bozak, Kadri and Bolland are 1, 2, 3, and Grabo made way too much to be a fourth liner.

Bernier is healthy competition for Reimer, and should give us a very solid duo in net.

Combining the additions of Bernier, Clarkson and Bolland with the internal growth from the likes of Kadri, Gardiner and Reilly, and I think the Leafs are in great shape for next season.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Leaftors

I'm captain optimism, i always think positive, always.
Last year was really the year that i became obsessed with this team, which is weird because i've been a fan for a while, i just finally made sure that i was able to watch every leafs game. I love this team, i love the players, i love the uniforms, i love that people want to come to toronto to play for the leafs. We're a team now that finally has earned respect in the cap era. My dad's a habs fan, and oh how i loved watching our team kick the **** out of them all year (i sense a lac-a-respec here).

I've never been so proud to be a leafs fan, especially with the whole ACC chanting GO LEAFS GO as lupul corrals the puck in his own zone, and literally takes the whole team on his back down the ice, and puts it in the net.

A half year filled with life long memories.

and oh man do i ever have a great feeling about next year, and how the ACC will go crazy when clarkson absolutely destroys a smurf, or when the leafs-redwings rivalry starts and kronwall gets a taste of his own medicine by one of our wingers (im thinking clarkson who knocked over philips or something when philips was going to deliver the hit),

GO LEAFS GO

Leaftors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I swear I am not trying to maintain a shtick where I just choose the contrarian viewpoint to the prevailing group think, but I am genuinely optimistic about this team moving forward.

Clarkson may have been a bit of an overpayment, but in two years time the cap will have skyrocketed and his deal will look like a mere pittance. In fact, every deal signed this off season will look like a steal in a couple years time.

I loved Grabovski's hustle, but he didn't/doesn't fit into the system Carlye is establishing. Especially not at his cap hit. Bozak, Kadri and Bolland are 1, 2, 3, and Grabo made way too much to be a fourth liner.

Bernier is healthy competition for Reimer, and should give us a very solid duo in net.

Combining the additions of Bernier, Clarkson and Bolland with the internal growth from the likes of Kadri, Gardiner and Reilly, and I think the Leafs are in great shape for next season.

As a fellow Grabovski fan, it was a bit hard to see him bought out, he had definitely worked hard for this team. But Nonis has been quite shrewd when it comes to moving players who don't fit. Last year it was Connolly, Lombardi, Komisarek who were moved aside for youth and grit, with great results.

This year, Nonis saw an opportunity to add a player in Clarkson, who will be a glue-type player on this team, where he will play any role he is given and fight for his teammates. There was just no room for Grabovski and his 5.5 million price tag, it became clear last year that Grabo was, as they say, "a square peg trying to be put into a round hole". The contract was going to be a thorn in Nonis' side considering the role he had next year would likely be the same one he struggled with this year. It was a move of necessity for Nonis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
As mostly a pessimistic person regarding the Leafs, I do see some signs of optimism.

At the end of the day, every pessimistic Leaf fan would love nothing more than to be proven wrong, we all love this team after all.
I can respect that. I suppose I refer to be optimistic and proven wrong, than negative and proven wrong. Takes wayyy less energy.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Machinae

Colborne is good enough to justify losing Frattin, MacArthur and Komarov. Seeing not enough love for this guy. Has looked good in every call up, and in every role.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
Colborne is good enough to justify losing Frattin, MacArthur and Komarov. Seeing not enough love for this guy. Has looked good in every call up, and in every role.
Yup, really hoping that guy is putting in a lot of work this summer. It could be a make or break season for big Joe.