HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Alfie's tenure with the wings will most resemble...?

View Poll Results: pick one or more!!
Mike Modano 10 10.10%
Steve Yzerman (post knee surgery) 8 8.08%
Steve Thomas 1 1.01%
Marian Hossa 14 14.14%
Luc Robataille 50 50.51%
Robert Lang 19 19.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
When he says "left side", does he mean point or near the circle? I don't remember, but where did Alfie play for Ottawa?

I hope it's not another Brunner situation.
I'm not sure did Holland say left circle, maybe he did.

Alfredsson has over a decade experience of NHL point-play, that Brunner didn't have at all. I would not mind seeing him at point, but I'd absolutely prefer that left circle. Those shots from there from Pavel's saucer passes would be just so great entertainment. My favourite type of goal in hockey.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:05 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Interesting detail...

Ken Holland talked about Alfredsson in some radio interview, that "Alfie is going to be the right-handed shot on the 1st power-play on the left side".

I was like, WTF, finally(!). Holland didn't say anything about him being planned on the point, where he has been very good for Senators and I was expecting him to go there. I really really like hearing this, we haven't had a world-class right-handed shooter used there since... Brendan Shanahan.
Alfie has been a lot at left half wall with Sens, at least the past two years. Eg. Stamkos position. Karlsson and Gonchar were the point men. Though they switch on the fly pretty well.

Like in here

edit 'left half wall' depending on where you look at. anyway, where his one timer could be used. It's lethal, probably the best on Wings now.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Alfie has been a lot at left half wall with Sens, at least the past two years. Eg. Stamkos position. Karlsson and Gonchar were the point men. Though they switch on the fly pretty well.

edit 'left half wall' depending on where you look at. anyway, where his one timer could be used. It's lethal, probably the best on Wings now.
Yeah, since Karlsson took that 1st PP righty at right -position, Alfie has been there. But but before that, he was that right-side pointman Karlsson is now.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:11 PM
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I'm just hoping he doesn't see the ice next year.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Alfredsson-Kronwall

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist/Tatar (whoever is playing better)
Kindl-Smith

Franzen and Abby being the net-front guys.

If there are injuries next year I'd like to see Marchenko or Sproul get a crack on a PP unit with their RH shots.
I'd rather put Bert out there as net front and keep Franzen as a slot man on the 2nd unit. Franzen just isn't good in that net front role. I'd rather use him as a sniper than a power forward.

1st Line Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
If he is on the point, he is on the right side. That has been his position at Ottawa if he has been on the point and that was the position for Rafalski and White with us. Our single righty has always been used like that. Only at 5-on-3 the righty pointman has switched on the left side.

And because Holland said they are planning him on the left, he will be at forward position, not on the point. That's the whole thing for this discussion.

Problem with righty on the left point and lefty on the right point is clearings. It's harder to stop the cleared puck in the side of the board with a wrong handness. That's why they have been that way since Bowman days and it's kind of a default mode for almost all succesful NHL power-plays.
That makes sense. I think I was just confused in seeing them change up when they get into the offensive zone and then switch to better sides for the one-timer.

I could have sworn Brunner was the left side on the PP unit last year, but maybe that was just once we gainzed the zone and set up the cycle.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:44 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post

Like in here

That is where Brunner should've played the whole season. If Alfie can play the point, great.

Right now they can play two formations.

1st PP - conventional

Franzen
Zetterberg-------------Datsyuk
---Alfredsson--Kronwall---

2nd PP - conventional

Bertuzzi
Weiss-------------Nyquist
---Kindl--Smith---

2nd PP - One on the "point"

Bertuzzi
Tatar--Weiss--Nyquist
------Kindl/Smith------

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Was just wondering if Z honors Alfie by giving him the C this year? Z could always pick it up next year.

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:28 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post
Was just wondering if Z honors Alfie by giving him the C this year? Z could always pick it up next year.
Not a chance, I don't even think they will give Alfie a letter, guess they could rotate him in the A's like they used to do with Kronwall a couple years back, but I doubt it.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:42 AM
silkyjohnson50

With all due respect to Alfie, this is #40, 13, and 55's team. Alfie, Iginla, or any respected veteran couldn't strip Z of the C.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:07 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
With all due respect to Alfie, this is #40, 13, and 55's team. Alfie, Iginla, or any respected veteran couldn't strip Z of the C.
We already know this by looking at Modano?

It's absurd to give any player a letter their first year - of any team. Regardless of career.

Detroit Swed Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:46 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Swed Wings View Post
We already know this by looking at Modano?

It's absurd to give any player a letter their first year - of any team. Regardless of career.
Well there are some situations where it makes sense, just not on a veteran led team like Detroit where the 3 players who wear the letters are so set in stone.

Take for instance Shanny though. He was given an "A" for his first game. Of course he was a proven star player who was traded for Coffey (who wore an "A") and Primeau. So if say Kronwall and Helm were traded for a Weber/Doughty/Suter/Keith, it'd make sense in many scenarios for the newly acquired star to take on the vacant "A".

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:03 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Well there are some situations where it makes sense, just not on a veteran led team like Detroit where the 3 players who wear the letters are so set in stone.

Take for instance Shanny though. He was given an "A" for his first game. Of course he was a proven star player who was traded for Coffey (who wore an "A") and Primeau. So if say Kronwall and Helm were traded for a Weber/Doughty/Suter/Keith, it'd make sense in many scenarios for the newly acquired star to take on the vacant "A".
To replace the letter of someone who's leaving, sure.
Otherwize I still don't think that a new star player should get a letter over a current C/A straight away.

Detroit Swed Wings is offline   Reply With Quote