HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around The League XLVII

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2013, 10:27 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
do you think the chicago blackhawks will repeat as stanley cup champs or a brand new team will win? I hope they don't win or it be too much the same team winning again and again.....

Old
07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Does a decent job in the face-off circle as well. Grabo is a better player but I understood why they pushed to keep Bozak by overpaying a bit. Obviously has good chemistry with Kessel who I'm sure also pushed for the signing. It's not that dissimilar to B. Morrison, who was a better player than Bozak but was also playing way above his head and flanked by two star wingers. Chemistry is a funny, fickle thing.
I don't think you can really say that there's chemistry there. Kessel scores at a better rate when not playing with Bozak than with him, and the Leafs score 20% more goals for and give up 20% fewer goals against when Kessel is away from Bozak than when he's with Bozak.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:50 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I don't think you can really say that there's chemistry there. Kessel scores at a better rate when not playing with Bozak than with him, and the Leafs score 20% more goals for and give up 20% fewer goals against when Kessel is away from Bozak than when he's with Bozak.
Which center did he have the most success with as a Leaf, just out of curiosity?

Old
07-08-2013, 11:03 PM
canuck4life16

Reading the main board, there is some speculation of trading chris Kelly or brad Marchard? it make no sense since they do have the space to sign Rask unless he is demand too much?

Old
07-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Which center did he have the most success with as a Leaf, just out of curiosity?
Over the past two seasons, he played with Connolly quite a bit in '11-'12 (unsuccessful - 47.8 goals for%), Lombardi (53.8 GF%), Kadri (60 GF%), and Grabovski (hugely successful - 67 GF%). When Kessel and Bozak paired up, they only had a GF% of 49.3 but, obviously, that's a much higher sample size.

You can take a look at Kessel's WOWY here: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...011-13&sit=5v5. MacArthur and Grabovski were the Leafs' best possession forwards and they're both gone. I think it's safe to say Nonis puts little to no stock in advanced stats.

Last edited by Bieksallent: 07-08-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old
07-08-2013, 11:18 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Over the past two seasons, he played with Connolly quite a bit in '11-'12 (unsuccessful - 47.8 goals for%), Lombardi (53.8 GF%), Kadri (60 GF%), and Grabovski (hugely successful - 67 GF%). When Kessel and Bozak paired up, they only had a GF% of 49.3 but, obviously, that's a much higher sample size.

You can take a look at Kessel's WOWY here: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...011-13&sit=5v5.
That's actually what I was wondering. Thanks for the link!

Old
07-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Toronto was already a smoke-and-mirrors team and they've replaced two massive play-drivers in Grabovski and MacArthur with Bolland and Clarkson (admittedly Clarkson has solid possession numbers). Next season is going to be hilarious.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Hahahah I can't believe they bought out Grabovski after seeing those WOWYs. Toronto is going to be so, so bad next season.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:35 AM
DFAC

I'm not too sure about all this Leaf bashing....did we forget that they've won more playoff games this year than we have in the past two years combined?

Old
07-09-2013, 03:44 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAC View Post
I'm not too sure about all this Leaf bashing....did we forget that they've won more playoff games this year than we have in the past two years combined?
Did we forget in the last 2 years we've won more playoff games than they did the previous 7 years? oh...

The Leafs-Canucks back and forth wont stop because they keep critcizing Gillis and think Nonis is somehow a better GM, we may all not like Gillis but we can surely point out how much of a buffoon Nonuts is.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:15 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Cool, and if we go back just one more year we have 15 to their 3...

I don't see your point.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:36 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post

You can take a look at Kessel's WOWY here: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...011-13&sit=5v5. MacArthur and Grabovski were the Leafs' best possession forwards and they're both gone. I think it's safe to say Nonis puts little to no stock in advanced stats.
Good post. Rather than keeping the center who was maybe only slightly overpaid but still drove the bus in terms of possession for the Leafs, they chose to sign a worse player in Bozak just for his so-called chemistry with Kessel and in hopes they`d be able to entice the latter to stay. A lineup of Kadri/Grabovski/Bolland/McClement down the middle would`ve been a better choice.

Hard to have much faith in management if you`re a Leafs fan, since Nonis looks to be going the same route as Burke who also didn`t believe in that sort of stuff.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
it's more nonis-bashing than leaf-bashing and the hilarity that ensues when you see nonis start to make the same bone-headed decisions that got him fired from vancouver in the first place

overall the leafs have a fairly likeable and exciting young team

Old
07-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
it's more nonis-bashing than leaf-bashing and the hilarity that ensues when you see nonis start to make the same bone-headed decisions that got him fired from vancouver in the first place

overall the leafs have a fairly likeable and exciting young team
I agree. I want them to succeed but I just don't see it happening after the summer Nonis has had. Teams like Toronto, where the fans have endured so much garbage (the Ballard years alone... ugh, would've killed the Canucks) but still wait in droves to see the team and are willing to pay exorbitant prices to do so, it's nice to see them do well.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:51 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
**** the Leafs. They ****ing suck.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Terrible summer for the Leafs.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:18 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
What an astounding quote.

What an idiot.
Good one here too:

Quote:
"If you go back and look at (Bolland's) junior numbers, they're exceptional," Nonis told reporters at the NHL draft, referencing the 299 points Bolland scored during 254 games with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...n=jessespector

As if junior numbers matter for a now 27 year old who has been in the league for seven seasons.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Good one here too:

As if junior numbers matter for a now 27 year old who has been in the league for seven seasons.
Now the Marc Chouinard, Byron Ritchie, and Brad Isbister signings make a lot of sense....look at those CHL numbers

Old
07-09-2013, 11:45 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Good one here too:

Yeah, it's like why didn't they go back to his Bantam days...was he slumping?

Old
07-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I'll take getting swept over choking a 3 goal lead with half a period remaining in regulation.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:52 AM
tantalum

10 mil left for the Leafs to spend but they still don't have a blueline. Depending what you think of Liles they have 2 or 3 NHL quality defenders signed right now. Most importantly they also don't have Kadri signed and my guess is he'll be looking for Bozak money plus some on a multi-year deal. Not saying he will get it but it is either going to be big money over several years or good money for 1 year as Kadri then looks to cash in big time next summer (a full PPG season and he will be looking at 6.5+ mil which along with Kessel makes it very difficult on the Leafs).

Nonis is actually setting himself up for Kadri to be offer sheeted if he doesn't make his moves in the correct order. If not Kadri I can't help but wonder if teams don't look to offer sheet Gunnarson or Franson once Nonis gets tight to the cap. Seems to me he should have taken care of Kadri will before Bozak but that's just me.

Next year they need to re-sign Kessel and they are fooling themselves if they think he'll be less than $8 mil a season. 3 other important forwards will be UFA (including Bolland who they just acquired). Phaneuf will be UFA. Gardiner RFA.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Wonder if TO will go for Mason Raymond. Nonis had a serious man crush on the guy when he was running things here.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Wonder if TO will go for Mason Raymond. Nonis had a serious man crush on the guy when he was running things here.
He didn't seem to go after Grabner when the Leafs could've had him for free (well, other than the token waiver fee). That or Burke didn't think much of Nonis' argument (had to be pretty weak considering the state of the Leafs roster then).

Old
07-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Good one here too:

Holy crap! Yeah, this does explain a lot...

Old
07-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
He just has to find his stats from 1999-2000 first, so he can make an informed decision.

Closed Thread