HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around The League XLVII

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Boyfriend punched a wall at the Crawford signing.

I laughed.
Ask him how he feels about Lu's cap hit.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph View Post
Morrow to Habs camp on a PTO
Seems fake. No one on the board is discussing it.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Seems fake. No one on the board is discussing it.
Rumour, from apparently not the most credible source. Jumped the gun a little, my bad. Still feel the same about the Pens way overpaying for him.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph View Post
Rumour, from apparently not the most credible source. Jumped the gun a little, my bad. Still feel the same about the Pens way overpaying for him.
Aye. After the coup they got Iginla for. That package for Morrow was ridiculous. It almost felt like they were paying them back for ripping them off in the Neal trade.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Linden

Quote:
Aye. After the coup they got Iginla for. That package for Morrow was ridiculous. It almost felt like they were paying them back for ripping them off in the Neal trade.
haha too true. There's a thread on the trade board if you want to see the rumour

Old
09-02-2013, 02:42 PM
canuck4life16
Anti-tank campaign

wow 6 million for Crawford? he not that good.......he is not a elite goalie and never will be and his cap hit higher than Luongo!

Old
09-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Yeah, I forgot how most teams really keyed on Ron Francis and left the most talented player ever to feast on their worse matchups..

I guess it's true that Lemieux never dominated the league like Marty McSorely and Marek Malik did
That's just way too much hockey insight for me and ya Jagr did play with Francis but it wasn't like Mario played with bums.

The bottom line is that he wasn't an elite player at ES that year and maybe you are confusing him with a different Mario, it's not like he was the same player in each and every season of his career.

From the above analysis it looks like very little research was actually done but hey prove me wrong there.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
wow 6 million for Crawford? he not that good.......he is not a elite goalie and never will be and his cap hit higher than Luongo!
Luongo has a cap circumvention contract, it's not the standard

Old
09-02-2013, 04:46 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Waste of capsapce. If the Blackhawks are spending lots of money on goaltending they are doing everyone else a favour.
They were proof that ridiculous strength and depth at F and D overcomes whatever goaltending advantage or disadvantage is going on. Horrible signing IMO.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:55 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
O'Byrne signs with a KHL team... As I said on the main boards:
He didn't give up a 2nd rounder this time, unless I'm mistaken? At least he's improving.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:59 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
So I guess now both teams can call it even.

Old
09-02-2013, 07:27 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Yeah, I forgot how most teams really keyed on Ron Francis and left the most talented player ever to feast on their worse matchups..

I guess it's true that Lemieux never dominated the league like Marty McSorely and Marek Malik did
well he dominated one end. 89-90 must have been interesting, over 2 ppg and -0.3 per game. not sure how that is possible.

Old
09-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
They were proof that ridiculous strength and depth at F and D overcomes whatever goaltending advantage or disadvantage is going on. Horrible signing IMO.
2013 Hawks were far more reliant on goaltending then 2010 team

Crawford came up huge all year and was the real MVP of playoffs. People seem to act like he pulled a 2010 Niemi and was along for ride when the reality is that Crawford was actually a major positive factor in most games and his ability to outplay or play on level with Howard/Quick/Rask was major factor in the playoffs

Old
09-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Funny people were saying the exact same thing about Neimi.

It's like people think he is a bum or something.

It's also going forward not backwards, the cap is going to go up, by the end of it 6 million a year might be average.

Old
09-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
well he dominated one end. 89-90 must have been interesting, over 2 ppg and -0.3 per game. not sure how that is possible.
2 reasons, a pretty crappy team and an all out emphasis on offense over defense, just look at his game logs here.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play.../gamelog/1990/

Old
09-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Intoewsables
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Crawford came up huge all year and was the real MVP of playoffs. People seem to act like he pulled a 2010 Niemi and was along for ride when the reality is that Crawford was actually a major positive factor in most games and his ability to outplay or play on level with Howard/Quick/Rask was major factor in the playoffs
Are you defending the contract or just his performance this past season? I do agree that Crawford was great, and IMO he played like a top-10 goalie.

With that said, handing out a 6 year, $36 million deal based on one half season (plus 23 playoff games) of top-10 play is just ridiculous. Although it's possible he maintains that level of play, he could just as easily regress back to 2011-12 Crawford and put the Blackhawks in a really tough spot. Far too risky.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

This so much

Old
09-02-2013, 09:25 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
That's just way too much hockey insight for me and ya Jagr did play with Francis but it wasn't like Mario played with bums.
My point was that you can talk up Fedorov's defensive matchups but its not like teams were just rolling lines against the Penguins and letting Lemieux eat their third and fourth lines alive.. Lemieux racked up points against some pretty good opposition, not quite at will but frequently enough.

Quote:
The bottom line is that he wasn't an elite player at ES that year
Uh huh. Eighth best in ES goals, I would be willing to bet higher on assists and points (since if nothing else I'd wager he didn't pick up 10+% of his assists short handed like he did with goals).

I was joking about the Sedin treatment earlier but it's starting to become more and more applicable...

Quote:
and maybe you are confusing him with a different Mario, it's not like he was the same player in each and every season of his career.
Neither were Malik or McSorely.

Quote:
From the above analysis it looks like very little research was actually done but hey prove me wrong there.
No research was done, not one bit. And only slightly more 'analysis' than that.

You posted an opinion that I found to be ludicrous and justified it with a statistic that is dubious to say the least, so I am making fun...

Not much need for research or analysis there, eh wot?

Old
09-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Proto

Quote:
Except that his offense didn't always overcome his lack of defense.

His 96 season is the best example of this, led the NHL in scoring with 161 points and was a measly plus 10.

For that season Feds was more valuable than the Hart winner Mario IMO.
Is this real life?

Old
09-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoewsables View Post
Are you defending the contract or just his performance this past season? I do agree that Crawford was great, and IMO he played like a top-10 goalie.

With that said, handing out a 6 year, $36 million deal based on one half season (plus 23 playoff games) of top-10 play is just ridiculous. Although it's possible he maintains that level of play, he could just as easily regress back to 2011-12 Crawford and put the Blackhawks in a really tough spot. Far too risky.
I don't like the term (6 years is far too much for a non franchise goalie)

As for the cap hit. I expected a 5M cap hit so 6M isn't extreme overpayment in my eyes

It is what it is. Hawks wanted a longterm solution in net (Khabibulin , Huet , Niemi , Turco and Crawford have all been #1 for Hawks at some point in last 5 years) and Bowman is confident that Crawford is the guy (Been with organization for longtime and has been model citizen of hard work and overcoming doubters)

Overpayment = Sure ,, Not as terrible as people make it out to be
Term = Not good (4 years should have been max)

But Rocky Wirtz is willing to spend $$$ and Bowman has always liked Crawford and he proved he could be guy this past year to carry team to glory

As for the he may regress.. Sure but any player who signs a big deal can be a risk to do that. Hawks are taking risk but it is much easier to accept that risk when player was major part in a cup win (Same with Bickell)

Old
09-02-2013, 09:29 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Not a fan of the Crawford contract one bit. He may have played good last year, but he can regress to MAF with that contract. Crawford isn't even a franchise goalie, yet he's being paid like one. I could easily see this blowing up in Chicago's face.

Old
09-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Proto

Quote:
It does explain part of the plus/minus difference sure but don't forget feds was getting top defensive assignments as well.

Basically Mario had numerous games where he piled up the points but Feds had a more consistent and overall impact on games over the season but Hart voters tend to dig the stats, without getting into them very deeply.

The major point is for a guy so dominant offensively his plus minus, or ES play was pretty ordinary, even after his team context is taken into account.
I just love that you always talk about the Sedins declining production, completely ignore advanced stats that track things other than simple point production, and now you're trying to argue that Sergei Federov scoring 107 points was better than Lemieux's 69 goals and 161 points

Old
09-02-2013, 09:31 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Is this real life?
He wasn't elite.

In 1996.

At even strength.

Once you do the mental gymnastics required to ignore the stats.

We are a loooong way from the original point here.

Old
09-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Boyfriend punched a wall at the Crawford signing.

I laughed.
I would be mad about being a Blackhawks fan too.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
09-02-2013, 09:35 PM
canuck4life16
Anti-tank campaign

the problem is Corey Crawford is a terrible starting goalie and he is not worth 6 million dollars he is not elite and never will be.......it will hurt to sign other key player in the future and trading him later on will be difficult

Closed Thread