HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League XLVII

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 09:37 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Bingo. It was bad asset management from the start with the Islanders and Nino.
U
They rushed him to the NHL and only kept him there playing garbage minutes on an awful team because his cap hit kept the team above the cap floor and they're surprised he got surly and wanted a trade, which he eventually got, to a team that may give him a chance to grow into an NHL forward.

Absolutely ridiculous way to develop NHL talent.
IMHO the issue was they gave him NHL money to soon for doing nothing. Who wants to go back to the AHL and 10% cash when you have tasted real cash. He wants back ready or not - Snow and Wang made this mess.

Last edited by me2: 07-09-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old
07-09-2013, 09:40 PM
How Ya Drouin
NonAngry Canucks Fan

vCash: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by JI123 View Post
Remember that Phoenix game this year where their statisticians gave them like 20 hits to our like 5 in the first period?
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400442924

Found it. End of game hits total... 50 (yes, fifty ) for Phoenix, and 19 (nineteen ) for Vancouver.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Well, he's the type of 3rd liner that a contender wouldn't want, basically. That's why I consider him marginal. He's a significant downgrade on Hansen in every area except goal scoring and hitting, and even then you have to consider that he gets quite a bit of his goals and points on the PP. He has also never played shutdown minutes.

Maybe he's someone you can put on the top line and he'll have chemistry with Tavares but that's really the only scenario where I can see him living up to that contract. On a team like the Canucks, I wouldn't want him anywhere other than the 4th line.
Maybe he isn't the exact type of 3rd liner a contender would want but he's better made for the playoffs than nay 3rd liner we have here.

Hansen might be the better and more skilled player but he is another soft guy in a soft lineup.

Gritty guys like Shaw, Clutterbuck and Marchand all ahve more than "how they look on paper" value.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
If Nino is any good he'll bounce back. He might be a year behind but that shouldn't stop him. Busts bust, quality bounces back.

The reason NYI dumped him is he was being a cancer that wanted prime ice time not AHL. Compare that to our recent prospect that got dumped for similar agitating reasons.
If you mean Cody then you are off base he was earning more ice time with his production in limited time and with less than great line mates.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
If you mean Cody then you are off base he was earning more ice time with his production in limited time and with less than great line mates.
Or was he being given minutes to make him a greater value piece? Considering his offensive production he sure did alright with the minutes he was given but I'd hardly call Raymond, Higgins, or Hansen less than great linemates.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI123 View Post
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400442924

Found it. End of game hits total... 50 (yes, fifty ) for Phoenix, and 19 (nineteen ) for Vancouver.
They probably didnt even count the Edler hit on Smith...

Old
07-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Or was he being given minutes to make him a greater value piece?
His TOI was sporadic throughout the season depending on Viggy's mood I guess. Yet Viggy overplayed Kesler as per usual.

Quote:
Considering his offensive production he sure did alright with the minutes he was given but I'd hardly call Raymond, Higgins, or Hansen less than great linemates.
Ya Raymond is so good he is a UFA now. Borderline top 6 guys those 3 are, and he was getting minutes with 4th line guys as well.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Ya Raymond is so good he is a UFA now. Borderline top 6 guys those 3 are, and he was getting minutes with 4th line guys as well.
Pretty appropriate for a third line matching up against other team's third and fourth lines (and losing matchups against good third lines like Detroit's with Darren Helm)..

Basically Hodgson got matched up with "borderline top six" players (which usually means top six guys that fans don't care to acknolwedge belonging to that group) to play in a third line role matchup up against other team's bottom six.. that is a creampuff assignment and Cody produced well in it.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Basically Hodgson got matched up with "borderline top six" players (which usually means top six guys that fans don't care to acknolwedge belonging to that group) to play in a third line role matchup up against other team's bottom six.. that is a creampuff assignment and Cody produced well in it.
....and when his line in Buffalo faced top lines/better lines, it scored a bunch of goals but bled goals against as well. Classic case of "spinning your wheels" - seemingly doing alot but going nowhere.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:21 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Maybe he isn't the exact type of 3rd liner a contender would want but he's better made for the playoffs than nay 3rd liner we have here.

Hansen might be the better and more skilled player but he is another soft guy in a soft lineup.

Gritty guys like Shaw, Clutterbuck and Marchand all ahve more than "how they look on paper" value.
I don't think Hansen is any softer than those 3 players, and Marchand is a bonafide top 6 winger.

Hansen is on record as saying whenever he's been paired with Raymond he changes his game and that leads to less physical play.

Hansen isn't soft, definitely not less soft than hide being Boogard or Konopka - Clutterbuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Pretty appropriate for a third line matching up against other team's third and fourth lines (and losing matchups against good third lines like Detroit's with Darren Helm)..
When you're sheltering someones ice time it's alot easier to do in 10 mins at EV, and when you can't win matchups against decent players, it doesn't really lend to you getting more ice time at EV strength.

The difference between Kesler and Hodgson in average ES ice time/game was 3:42.....it's not like we're talking about a very large descrepancy. Cody Hodgson played as much at ES the oppositions 3rd line (ice time that he could handle).

I think we saw why his ice time was sheltered with his defensive output in Buffalo, I thought I read somewhere last year he was on the ice for the most ev strength goals against of any forward in the league. That's what happens when he's not getting sheltered.

He may not have scored as much in Buffalo had he been sheltered (not leaching of Vanek withstanding) but he may have had a better ratio of goals for/against while he was on the ice.

And on top of that, have a listen to Sabres fans and media talk about Hodgson and his agent on the radio broadcast posted in this thread earlier.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
I wonder if anyone will offersheet Rask. If they offer him 19 million over three seasons, the Bruins have to match, but at the same time will be in Cap hell this season, and would likely have to move assets out. If they don't match, it only costs a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd for a premier goalie.

There is nobody in DivC that needs a goalie at the moment but DivD has a few (Flyers, Islanders, Washington).

Old
07-10-2013, 12:26 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I wonder if anyone will offersheet Rask. If they offer him 19 million over three seasons, the Bruins have to match, but at the same time will be in Cap hell this season, and would likely have to move assets out. If they don't match, it only costs a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd for a premier goalie.

There is nobody in DivC that needs a goalie at the moment but DivD has a few (Flyers, Islanders, Washington).
This post illustrates exactly why they need to come up with cool division names.

Div C? yuck!

I don't think Rask signs that offersheet though. $6.3 doesn't get it done, especially on a 3 year deal.

Can almost guarantee (figuratively speaking) he's looking for $7m+ on a max 8 year term.

Offersheets can only go 5 years, so he'd be looking at $8m+ then IMO.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:32 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
That's not actually correct (unless I missed a change in the new CBA), the maximum is how many years over which the average salary gets determined for the purpose of compensation.

So if you sign a player to a five year deal for $25m compensation is 25/5 = $5m per. You could still sign a player to an eight year offer sheet for $40m, but compensation is still calculated using a five year term, so 40/5 = $8m per, or all the picks.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
This post illustrates exactly why they need to come up with cool division names.

Div C? yuck!

I don't think Rask signs that offersheet though. $6.3 doesn't get it done, especially on a 3 year deal.

Can almost guarantee (figuratively speaking) he's looking for $7m+ on a max 8 year term.

If he's looking for that much, the Bruins are hosed anyways. They are probably trying to keep his cap hit at or below 6 million. I find it almost ironic that the cap rules that the Bruins owner fought so hard for, will likely significantly hurt his team. Unless Bergeron starts the season on IR, which is likely, they are pretty screwed.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Stonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post

Rask is on the verge of signing an extension. An offer sheet won't happen.

http://nesn.com/2013/07/contract-ext...-nitty-gritty/

Old
07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Perron dealt to Edmonton??

Main T&R board has a confirmed trade with link.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Perron dealt to Edmonton??

Main T&R board has a confirmed trade with link.

Haven't seen anything on twitter about it

Edit- and there we go

@RenLavoieRDS:
Quote:
Blues trade David Perron to Oilers. Details to follow. #RDS

Old
07-10-2013, 03:02 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Just saw Renaud Lavoie tweet it. What the hell is Edmonton doing?

Old
07-10-2013, 03:10 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisReynolds View Post
Just saw Renaud Lavoie tweet it. What the hell is Edmonton doing?
Maybe they have a deal in place for a defenseman for one of their other forwards?

Old
07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

MPS and a 2nd rounder...damn, we wouldn't match that.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Paajarvi + 2nd for Perron. The price seems alright but I still don't understand why they're going after a guy like Perron and not for a defenseman.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:17 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

I wonder what this means for Gagner. Flipped for a D? Probably more likely that a winger is flipped though.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:21 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I wonder what this means for Gagner. Flipped for a D? Probably more likely that a winger is flipped though.
If Gagner is moved, I think he's moved for an upgrade at centre

Old
07-10-2013, 03:21 PM
arsmaster

More sub 6'0" skill in Edmonton.

Clearly a deal made by St Louis with an eye on acquiring more cap space for their RFA's.

Now we get to see Paajarvi develop on a better team. Has the potential to be a big win for St Louis.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Gagner for Tanev!

Closed Thread