HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League XLVII

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 03:44 PM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
A smaller forward with a concerning injury history... Doesn't change the Oilers roster that much IMO. Good deal, just not what the Oilers need.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
A smaller forward with a concerning injury history... Doesn't change the Oilers roster that much IMO. Good deal, just not what the Oilers need.
Yup. They need blueliners (2nd pairing guys or better).

Old
07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Alzner signs for 2.8M a year for 4 years. This is great for Vancouver's negotiations with Tanev. I'm guessing Tanev signs for 1.85M AAV for 2 years.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
pitseleh

Perron is a good player and a play driver at EV. That's something every team in the league could use more of.

EDIT: And apparently MacT said their analytics guys love Perron, specifically his possession stats. I'm sad that it sounds like Edmonton is getting smarter.

Last edited by pitseleh: 07-10-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Perron is a good pickup for Edmonton if he's over his concussion issues. I'm not exactly bullish on Paajarvi but he could probably fill in a bottom-6 role in St. Louis. Oilers bungled his development pretty badly.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:14 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Perron is a good player and a play driver at EV. That's something every team in the league could use more of.

EDIT: And apparently MacT said their analytics guys love Perron, specifically his possession stats. I'm sad that it sounds like Edmonton is getting smarter.
Are those stats good enough to push Yakupov and Gagner higher...or was it more due to where and who Perron was playing with.

Either way, I don't see his possession numbers improving in Edmonton, I don't believe they have the types of players to get themselves out of their own zone if hemmed in.

3 sub 6 foot, sub 200lbs, skill guys doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the opposition.

Yeah, it doesn't sound good about Edmonton getting smarter, but IMO, this is the case where #'s vs fit don't equal eachother, if you know what I mean.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:18 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Perron is a good pickup for Edmonton if he's over his concussion issues. I'm not exactly bullish on Paajarvi but he could probably fill in a bottom-6 role in St. Louis. Oilers bungled his development pretty badly.
Posted it in the main thread on the trade board numerous times already.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any missed games by Perron since returning from his year long absence.

He's played every game and his PPG pace is up from 0.55 before to 0.73.

I'm not as sour on most on Paajarvi either, I think he was just put in an awful situation and then got swept under the rug. Glad he'll get a better team to develop on.

I can't deem this trade on first glance as a clear win in any direction....seems quite reasonable both way actually.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:19 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Alzner signs for 2.8M a year for 4 years. This is great for Vancouver's negotiations with Tanev. I'm guessing Tanev signs for 1.85M AAV for 2 years.
Alzer plays 21 minutes/game on a top shutdown pairing, and has for 3 years. He's a proven, quality top-4 NHL defender.

Tanev plays 17 minutes/game on a 3rd pairing, in sheltered situations. He's never played more than 40 games in an NHL season.

They aren't comparable and Alzner's contract is irrelevant. As well, I believe Alzner's contact runs through his first year of UFA eligibility, so Washington is paying a premium for that.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:29 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
ugh we could have drafted Perron.......yuck patrick white...what was Nonis thinking?

Old
07-10-2013, 04:33 PM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Boston signs Rask to a massive contract. Guess Chiarelli couldn't get Rask to budge on the price or term. Great goalie but wow...

Old
07-10-2013, 04:34 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:

I wonder if MacT picked that up from his time here as Wolves coach, by any chance? But yeah, definitely not a good sign.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:36 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
Boston signs Rask to a massive contract. Guess Chiarelli couldn't get Rask to budge on the price or term. Great goalie but wow...
Bahaha glorious.

#schadenfreude

Old
07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Quote:

This deal could blow up in the oilers face and that is something all canuck fans are hoping for. If perron is healthy, the Oilers just got a lot better

Hall--RNH--Eberle
Perron--Gagner--Yakupov

Old
07-10-2013, 04:50 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

I like this deal for St Louis. I am higher than most on MPS and I think Edmonton has royally ****ed a few years of his development.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
ugh we could have drafted Perron.......yuck patrick white...what was Nonis thinking?
It ended up being Ehrhoff...
So it was all good in the end.

It does show the incompetence of Nonis though...
And he is not any better in TO.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Not surprised, called this months ago.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisReynolds View Post
Paajarvi + 2nd for Perron. The price seems alright but I still don't understand why they're going after a guy like Perron and not for a defenseman.
I'm sure they'd love a defenseman, but so would half the teams in the league right now. The UFA market for defensemen was almost non-existent this summer, with the Oilers already snapping up one of the few available guys. At this point, it doesn't make sense for the Oilers to overpay.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
This deal could blow up in the oilers face and that is something all canuck fans are hoping for. If perron is healthy, the Oilers just got a lot better

Hall--RNH--Eberle
Perron--Gagner--Yakupov
Lets be real, is he really THAT much of an upgrade on Hemsky?

That is the part I don't get....they are pretty similar players, one is a bit younger and cheaper but are quite similar in style.

New doesn't mean better.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:03 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Alzer plays 21 minutes/game on a top shutdown pairing, and has for 3 years. He's a proven, quality top-4 NHL defender.

Tanev plays 17 minutes/game on a 3rd pairing, in sheltered situations. He's never played more than 40 games in an NHL season.

They aren't comparable and Alzner's contract is irrelevant. As well, I believe Alzner's contact runs through his first year of UFA eligibility, so Washington is paying a premium for that.
Did you even read my post? If I thought they were comparable wouldn't I be arguing that Tanev is worth the same?

Washington is paying a premium.. and Alzner(24 years old.. 1 year older than Tanev) is still only making 2.85M AAV. Michael Del Zotto, a 23 year old puck mover got 2.55 for 2 years last season.To me they're examples as to why Tanev will NOT get the 2.5M+ that some posters are predicting.

Alzner signing = good for Gillis. Tanev camp has little leverage to ask for more then 2M.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:

That being said, in 2011-12 Paajarvi's EV numbers were really good. He got his teeth kicked in last season, but then every Oiler did (Kreuger is a terrible coach).

Old
07-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
7million avg. 8 years. Seems like a lot but will be less and less. How good is he? I think Schneider is as good and will get paid similar in 2 years so if Luongo can regain his form maybe moving Schneider will seem like the right thing to do. Schneider has 2 years left at 4million. Maybe Lu's 5.3 will seem like a good deal relatively speaking. When Schneider is getting 8 million with the cap going up. Of course Schneider will have to continue his performance to get that pay.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Lets be real, is he really THAT much of an upgrade on Hemsky?

That is the part I don't get....they are pretty similar players, one is a bit younger and cheaper but are quite similar in style.

New doesn't mean better.
Perron rides checks like a power forward, waiting for the moment he draws a second defender to find the open man. Guy is really, really good and I think his offensive output will increase playing in Edmonton.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:13 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

I love everyone questioning Perron because of one concussion but when it comes to Booth, a guy that had his brain scrambled as bad as anyone, twice! it's all in the past he'll be fine. Total double standard people, when we got Booth nobody cared about his concussions and look how healthy he has been!

Old
07-10-2013, 08:24 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Did you even read my post? If I thought they were comparable wouldn't I be arguing that Tanev is worth the same?

Washington is paying a premium.. and Alzner(24 years old.. 1 year older than Tanev) is still only making 2.85M AAV. Michael Del Zotto, a 23 year old puck mover got 2.55 for 2 years last season.To me they're examples as to why Tanev will NOT get the 2.5M+ that some posters are predicting.

Alzner signing = good for Gillis. Tanev camp has little leverage to ask for more then 2M.
To be honest Tanev isn't worth more than $1M right now. Maybe $1.25M and that's being generous. And I love the kid.

He gets hit a lot and finally got hurt from it. You have to question whether he will have the durability to play an entire 82 game season when he has essentially never played more than 1/3 of a season until this year. He doesn't put up points (yet) and has played sheltered minutes.

If we don't look at it from a Canucks point of view, his stats are pretty close to Alex Sulzer's.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Next Luongo

Closed Thread