HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How much has playing all summer (or not) helped you so far?

Old
09-18-2013, 08:03 AM
leftwinger37

vCash: 500
How much has playing all summer (or not) helped you so far?

My first league game is on Friday and I'm really excited for it. I'm more excited than usual because until about a week and a half ago, I didn't have a team and didn't think I was going to catch on anywhere until mid-season. I'm so glad that I got picked up off the waiver wire because I'm really feeling good about my game right now; I'm healthy (no nagging injuries), life has settled down a bit so I've got my mind right, and I played with a good group all summer, basically taking only a week or two off.

On the flip side, last spring/summer I was getting ready for my wedding in the fall and house hunting, so I wasn't as commited to hockey as I would have liked to be. The summer previous to that I took the entire summer off to rehab some injuries and work on some strength training. After both offseasons I found it somewhat difficult to get back to the grind in the fall. But this year I'm the lungs, legs, and hand-eye are all present and accounted for headed into the season.

My question to everyone is: how much has playing (or not playing) all summer helped you so far this season? If your league has not started yet, do you feel prepared?

leftwinger37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:48 AM
newerabegins

Monumentally

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
noobman

Not playing this summer was a great decision for me. My legs are stronger than they've been in years and my knees hurt a lot less from playing hockey.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:43 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

I've been working out for the past 3 months and going to stick and puck once a week and working on small drills. Thought I had a very solid first game. I felt much more explosive than the year before.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:45 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

It has helped quite a bit. I've only played for 18 months and as a teacher, summer is the only time I can do SnP. So I did lots of skating, played in a league, etc. I feel like I have a much better handle on so many things - in particular, passing and skating backwards, because that's what I worked on.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A few years ago, I did a clinic and skated in a summer league that was faster than my winter league. That year I scored more than I ever have before or since.

Last year I also skated in a fast summer skate, but didn't do nearly as well in the winter.

This summer I skated in a slower summer skate and then barely at all. So we'll see how I do. Probably not very well.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Devil Dancer

Time off is terrible for my game, so usually the more I play the better I do. I've been off the ice more than I would like over the past 2 months, so we'll see how things go when my league starts this Sunday. I'm playing down a bit this year so I'm pretty much guaranteed to be over a PPG, but I'd like to get back to where I was in the spring. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:16 PM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
I was on the ice twice a week all summer and just took the last three weeks off. Played this past Sunday and felt amazing.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:27 PM
TLow97

Seeing as that I'll be on my 2nd year playing since I was a teenager, I'm assuming the summer ice time has done me some good. Haven't skated since late August, though, and our 2nd scrimmage with my winter team is next Friday. Just trying to keep up the cardio until then.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
I played over the summer but took some time off from officiating.

Did my first game after a 2-month break two weeks ago and tonight I have another game. It was good to take some time off and come back knowing I was rusty. I focused more and was sharper. Playing and not officiating helped me improve my skating as well.

09-19-2013, 02:33 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I've only played one game so far but barely playing during the summer benefited me. My legs are a lot stronger I think because I was playing a lot of basketball and worked on quick sprints. My vision has gotten better and I have been more explosive when skating.

I think I played 2 SnP's during the summer and felt off when playing them. Now I feel refreshed and more excited for this season

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:09 PM
shello
@WShello9

Tremendously, was on the ice at least twice a week with major junior, and aaa players, and having to force myself to keep up with them has really improved the quickness of my decision making, and speed overall.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:11 PM
smcgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Tremendously, was on the ice at least twice a week with major junior, and aaa players, and having to force myself to keep up with them has really improved the quickness of my decision making, and speed overall.
I did a lot of this over the summer. One of my teams didn't play over the summer, so, I took that time to do more drop ins (3 x/week) with higher level players (AAA, high school, a couple pros home for the summer). It had two effects. 1) it made me quicker and a better passer. In those "games", it's never about scoring, but about passing well and setting up good plays. So, as a result, I've been passing a lot and with good passers and quick players. What comes along with that is the decisions need to be made quicker or you lose the puck. 2) This was an unintended consequence, but in the 6 games I've played so far, I really need to "force" myself to try and beat people and especially take shots. I did so many of these passing games where that was the primary objective that my playing is lop sided now. Granted, last night our top scorer, whom I fed 3 times for goals commented, "damn you're a good passer". So, that's nice, but I wish I didn't need to consciously force myself to shoot. I'm sure after a couple more weeks it will balance out, and hopefully I'll still be a damn good passer, but a shooting a bit more too.

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 05:02 PM
do0glas

I find that sometimes a good break can bring you back a lot stronger/smarter. you start figuring out the game, visualizing things more, and you come back more confident.

The inverse can be true as well where you need more ice time to get comfortable.

its all about your mindset and what works best for you.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 06:50 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
This helps AND hurts me, and here's why:

All summer I played in a WIDE variety of scrimmages. I play both goalie (A level, former Jr A and college player) and skater (middle B level).

I find when I play in a lower scrimmage, I can work on my rushes, stickhandling, and patience a LOT more. When I play in a higher scrimmage, I make decisions faster, can make harder/faster passes, but I lack the patience I'm trying to build in the lower scrimmages, which is frustrating.

So overall I call it a good summer.. working on my patience and stickhandling was great, but I still have a long ways to go. After a couple seasons of playing B3, I had a chance to go up to B2 but declined it to go down two levels to C1. There I'll be a "big dog" and be able to progress further with the aforementioned abilities. Then after a season or two I might go up and put it all together. Let's hope, at least, haha!

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It will be interesting how not focusing on hockey at all affects me for this year. This summer I was planning a wedding and spent most of my free time playing golf or running around with my kid. I literally didn't pick up a stick for a couple months, which is very rare.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:33 AM
American in Paris

Only played 5 times over the summer but did a lot of conditioning and off-ice stickhandling practice.

Feels like my game has stepped up to a new level.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

I was on the ice around 3 times per week + working out this summer. I was in a league that played once a week and played shinny twice a week. My linemates for my league were a guy who went to a Penguins rookie camp a couple years ago and a guy who used the play in the Q so that forced me to really pick my feet up and play the game at a higher pace, and shinny helped work on more skill stuff. Had my first regular season game on Tuesday and I notice a huge difference from last season.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Fanned On It

Haven't been able to play much at all since mid July because of my move and money. Now when I go for my weekly skate I feel like absolute dog-crap both endurance wise and skill wise. So yea, I'm one of those guys that likes to be on the ice as much as possible to keep my game sharp.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My conditioning sucks but my shot and hands are still there.

Old
09-24-2013, 02:22 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I played maybe 3 games between seasons. My shoulder finally healed up quite a bit so now I'm pretty good to go. Woo.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote