HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

1 hour of ice, 1 hour of office cardio, 1.5 hours of weights too much?

Old
09-23-2013, 03:30 AM
Akhockeyguy

vCash: 500
1 hour of ice, 1 hour of office cardio, 1.5 hours of weights too much?

So I've got about 4 weeks until tryouts and I was wondering if this would be too muc to do for that 4 weeks. We have ice 4-5 times a week up until the tryouts start (1 hr 15 minutes each). Have weights 4 times a week at an hour a time. That's what I currently am doing. Was thinking of adding an hour of weights 3 times a week, and an hour of off ice cardio maybe 5-6 times a week. Would tha be too much? I want to be in the best shape possible in 4 weeks. If it helps, I've been on the ice an hour and 15 minutes a day 5 days a week since the beginning of August and been doing an hour of weights 4 times a week since the end of August.

Akhockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 06:51 AM
TheWauth

So, let me get this straight. You're doing
5 hours on the ice
7 hours of weight training
And 6 hours of cardio each week?

That's way too much, your body needs time to recover. At the rate you're going, you're gonna be burnt out by the time tryouts start. I'm going to assume that because you had to ask this you don't know much about off-ice fitness (which is fine, everyone starts somewhere) but I can't imagine you doing 7 hours of weight training without spending a bunch of time on stuff that isn't all that useful for hockey; i.e. Stuff for aesthetics

I'd cut everything you do in half, and work in an hour of yoga 2-3 times a week

TheWauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:09 AM
jazzykat

Yoga is awesome. Improves flexibility, core strength and balance. Sound useful for hockey?

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote