HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off-Season Armchair GM Thread Part V

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2013, 10:14 AM
crunchyblack*

vCash: 500
the less players from our squad going to the olympics the better. rest up and win the cup.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't think so on JT. Here is a tentative guesstimate on Team Canada. Try to find a spot for JT with those ahead of him. They are unreal deep at center. Marleau only goes if they want a pure LW and possibly for his PK. Boyle doesn't have a prayer. The players below the -----'s are spares.

Canada
Forwards
Crosby
Stamkos
Tavares
Staal
Toews
Getzlaf
St. Louis
Bergeron
Perry
Neal
Giroux
Carter
----------
Sharp
Nash
Couture
Marleau

Defense
Letang
Keith
Weber
Subban
Seabrook
Doughty
-----------
Pietrangelo
Girardi

Goalies
Luongo
Price
Ward
carter will not be going if his linemate/team mate richards doesn't go.

st louis didn't get invited in a season where he put up 94 points, i highly doubt he goes in a season where he will be 38 years old.

staal can play winger and center.

getzlaf has just as much of a shot of going as thornton does.

neal has 0 shot at going, unless he comes out of the gate and produces at crosby rates, he is not going to sochi.

stamkos isn't even a lock on that list, especially if the brain trust goes with 2 way forwards again who can be trusted in all situations, 1st line, through 4th line. power play and penalty kill, scoring line or shut down line. stamkos is 1st, 2nd line, power play only. he would get absolutely destroyed playing as a shut down line (which all lines need to be in the olympics). stamkos cannot be hidden in the olympics, his horrendous defensive play will get eaten apart by teams 3rd lines.

it all depends on what the team wants, but i will say right now if babcock is the coach again (which is almost a guarantee), and yzerman is the GM once again almost a guarantee. thornton has one of the better chances of making the team, babcock loved him in vancouver, and still thinks he is the most dangerous on the sharks.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:53 AM
crunchyblack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post

st louis didn't get invited in a season where he put up 94 points, i highly doubt he goes in a season where he will be 38 years old.

neal has 0 shot at going, unless he comes out of the gate and produces at crosby rates, he is not going to sochi.

stamkos isn't even a lock on that list, especially if the brain trust goes with 2 way forwards again who can be trusted in all situations, 1st line, through 4th line. power play and penalty kill, scoring line or shut down line. stamkos is 1st, 2nd line, power play only. he would get absolutely destroyed playing as a shut down line (which all lines need to be in the olympics). stamkos cannot be hidden in the olympics, his horrendous defensive play will get eaten apart by teams 3rd lines.

it all depends on what the team wants, but i will say right now if babcock is the coach again (which is almost a guarantee), and yzerman is the GM once again almost a guarantee. thornton has one of the better chances of making the team, babcock loved him in vancouver, and still thinks he is the most dangerous on the sharks.
Hockey Canada has alluded multiple times that the first line will probably be Stammer - Cros - Staal

Babcock IS the coach, was announced yesterday.

Last edited by crunchyblack*: 07-22-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old
07-22-2013, 11:10 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

JT did not perform well in the last Olympics. I figured St. Louis would make it being joined at the hip with Stamkos. If he doesn't partner, I figure they let in one of the spare wings. Bergeron will lead their defense. I figured they were light on wings, that is why Carter. I figure that they will have a lot of centers playing wing like Bergeron, Staal, Couture (maybe) and Giroux. For defensive forwards, I figure they start with Bergeron followed by Toews, Carter and Staal. If they take Perry, they will take Getzlaf.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
JT did not perform well in the last Olympics. I figured St. Louis would make it being joined at the hip with Stamkos. If he doesn't partner, I figure they let in one of the spare wings. Bergeron will lead their defense. I figured they were light on wings, that is why Carter. I figure that they will have a lot of centers playing wing like Bergeron, Staal, Couture (maybe) and Giroux. For defensive forwards, I figure they start with Bergeron followed by Toews, Carter and Staal. If they take Perry, they will take Getzlaf.
I wish i could find the time and energy to find the stats, but thornton was heavily used as a defensive forward in the last olympics starting the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone, but like thornton lines always do his lines finished in the offensive zone and heavily outshot his opponents. Thornton and crosby were both the leaders at this.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
I wish i could find the time and energy to find the stats, but thornton was heavily used as a defensive forward in the last olympics starting the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone, but like thornton lines always do his lines finished in the offensive zone and heavily outshot his opponents. Thornton and crosby were both the leaders at this.
In the last Olympics, JT's points were way down and he had a very low team-relative +/-. He may have had zone time, but it looked like giveaways were an issue. Plus, JT has been virtually relieved of his PK duties. The above 4 forwards named are heavily involved in PK and frequently matched to top comp. Bergeron and Toews are recent Selke nominees/winners.

I do agree that Canada will probably have a lot of guys relatively speaking without a whole lot of defensive conscience. I went over the US likelihoods and found that with one or two exceptions almost all of their guys were heavily used defensively.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
In the last Olympics, JT's points were way down and he had a very low team-relative +/-. He may have had zone time, but it looked like giveaways were an issue. Plus, JT has been virtually relieved of his PK duties. The above 4 forwards named are heavily involved in PK and frequently matched to top comp. Bergeron and Toews are recent Selke nominees/winners.

I do agree that Canada will probably have a lot of guys relatively speaking without a whole lot of defensive conscience. I went over the US likelihoods and found that with one or two exceptions almost all of their guys were heavily used defensively.
no they won't, because babcock and company won't take players that do not play a 2 way game. it is why there was such an uproar last olympics when stamkos and st louis were left off the team. both had huge years going for them that season. but yzerman, stamko's and st louis boss even came out and told the world they just weren't good enough 2 way forwards to crack the team.

stamkos even though he was tied for 3rd in the league for even strength points, still finished the season with a -4. that is not just bad defensively, that is just horrendous. especially when you take into account for him being the worst on his team with that -4 it makes it even worse.

Old
07-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Squeeven

I'm pretty disappointed that my boy Marleau isn't on team Canada but I'm happy for Joe, Logan and Vlasic. Finally Couture and Vlasic are getting the recognition they deserve, especially Vlasic. Logan is already pretty well known throughout the league as a big threat but unfortunately Vlasic is not that well known at all and is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league so congrats to him. Is there any way the roster can change aside from injuries? Any way Marleau can still make it? I'm guessing no right?

Old
07-22-2013, 01:33 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
no they won't, because babcock and company won't take players that do not play a 2 way game. it is why there was such an uproar last olympics when stamkos and st louis were left off the team. both had huge years going for them that season. but yzerman, stamko's and st louis boss even came out and told the world they just weren't good enough 2 way forwards to crack the team.

stamkos even though he was tied for 3rd in the league for even strength points, still finished the season with a -4. that is not just bad defensively, that is just horrendous. especially when you take into account for him being the worst on his team with that -4 it makes it even worse.
Here is the invites roster:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131

JT and Boyle are on it. The article below does not project that they will make the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428036

Old
07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

I honestly don't think any of the Sharks will make team Canada. Couture is fringe because he can score and is defensively responsible. Boyle is not the best at what he does anymore. Vlasic, while superb defensively, will likely be passed over by someone with a bit more offense.

Thornton is the weird one. He is clearly the Sharks best player, but looked out of place last time whether it be the team composition or the larger ice.

Either way, I don't see any Sharks playing an impact role for TC.

Edit: Actually really surprised Marleau wasn't invited.

Last edited by SnarkAttack: 07-22-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:

The US showed in 2010 that if Canada and Russia are going to send out artisans to do a plumber's job, that the US would sent out plumbers to do that job and would win it handidly.

Canada needs players who can succeed off the top 2 lines, if need be. Stamkos and St.Louis were not those players.

I'd say that Thornton and Marleau can be those types of players, but there will be healthy competition.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:02 PM
matt trick

Winnipeg's 5 year 4.7m per gives the Sharks a starting point for Pavelski. Pavs is definitely better, but they are fairly similar players.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:18 PM
StalockSuperfan

Similar players, sure. But as a UFA, Pavelski could ask for significantly more.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Similar players, sure. But as a UFA, Pavelski could ask for significantly more.
Totally agree. In fairness, they bought out 4 years of UFA. If you assume 4m for his final year of RFA, it's 4 years at 5m per. Also, the Sharks wouldn't have to pay a "we suck" tax, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sharks sign him to 5 years 5.5m per.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:27 PM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Burns is the most likely Shark to make team Canada.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Burns is the most likely Shark to make team Canada.
He wasn't even invited to the camp.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
He wasn't even invited to the camp.
Bergeron wasn't either in 2010.

But if burns makes it, that basically all but stamps thorntons ticket to sochi to.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Bergeron wasn't either in 2010.

But if burns makes it, that basically all but stamps thorntons ticket to sochi to.
If they dominate this season like we think they will then they will make it.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:02 AM
chrisclark110

What do you guys think the d pairings will be this year?
Vlasic/Braun was great in the PO but I don't think they can consistently break out of there own zone when facing top comp. Boyle and Irwin? Stuart Demers? Is Hannan the #7 D? I think one bad stretch for Demers and he's done this year...

Old
07-23-2013, 11:14 AM
SwolePatrol
Eberle=Clutch

My best guess at team Canada is

Stammer-Crosby-E.Staal
Giroux-Taveras-Perry
Bergy-Toews-Richards
Nash-Thornton-Sharp
Eberle, J.Staal

M.Staal-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty-Pietroangelo
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawful

3rd goalie wont matter, he wont see the ice.

Thornton is really the only shark with a decent chance, and even then, i almost put a Nash-Getzlaf-Perry 4th line with Sharp on line 2 in perry's spot,

Old
07-23-2013, 11:21 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
I'm pretty disappointed that my boy Marleau isn't on team Canada but I'm happy for Joe, Logan and Vlasic. Finally Couture and Vlasic are getting the recognition they deserve, especially Vlasic. Logan is already pretty well known throughout the league as a big threat but unfortunately Vlasic is not that well known at all and is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league so congrats to him. Is there any way the roster can change aside from injuries? Any way Marleau can still make it? I'm guessing no right?
This isn't the roster. These guys were just invited to camp. I'd be shocked if Boyle and Vlasic made it, and I'd be surprised if Thornton made it.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclark110 View Post
What do you guys think the d pairings will be this year?
Vlasic/Braun was great in the PO but I don't think they can consistently break out of there own zone when facing top comp. Boyle and Irwin? Stuart Demers? Is Hannan the #7 D? I think one bad stretch for Demers and he's done this year...
I have no reason to think Vlasic and Braun will be broken up. Braun has a good break-out pass and can actually handle the puck and skate it out.

Old
07-23-2013, 07:53 PM
do0glas

man, is that kyle clifford trade thread for real?

honestly dont pay a ton of attention to the guy, but he cant be worth that much

Old
07-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
This isn't the roster. These guys were just invited to camp. I'd be shocked if Boyle and Vlasic made it, and I'd be surprised if Thornton made it.
Yeah my bad, I kinda wrote that wrong lol. But I guess what I meant to say is I'm disappointed Marleau didn't get an invite and congrats to the boys that did. Is there a way Marleau can still get an invite or is this list pretty much set?

Old
07-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Yeah my bad, I kinda wrote that wrong lol. But I guess what I meant to say is I'm disappointed Marleau didn't get an invite and congrats to the boys that did. Is there a way Marleau can still get an invite or is this list pretty much set?
It is set, but it still does not exclude him from making the team. But if marleau does make the actual team it will mean he and the sharks are doing great.

Closed Thread