HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off-Season Armchair GM Thread Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2013, 10:14 AM
  #976
crunchyblack*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
the less players from our squad going to the olympics the better. rest up and win the cup.

crunchyblack* is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:28 AM
  #977
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't think so on JT. Here is a tentative guesstimate on Team Canada. Try to find a spot for JT with those ahead of him. They are unreal deep at center. Marleau only goes if they want a pure LW and possibly for his PK. Boyle doesn't have a prayer. The players below the -----'s are spares.

Canada
Forwards
Crosby
Stamkos
Tavares
Staal
Toews
Getzlaf
St. Louis
Bergeron
Perry
Neal
Giroux
Carter
----------
Sharp
Nash
Couture
Marleau

Defense
Letang
Keith
Weber
Subban
Seabrook
Doughty
-----------
Pietrangelo
Girardi

Goalies
Luongo
Price
Ward
carter will not be going if his linemate/team mate richards doesn't go.

st louis didn't get invited in a season where he put up 94 points, i highly doubt he goes in a season where he will be 38 years old.

staal can play winger and center.

getzlaf has just as much of a shot of going as thornton does.

neal has 0 shot at going, unless he comes out of the gate and produces at crosby rates, he is not going to sochi.

stamkos isn't even a lock on that list, especially if the brain trust goes with 2 way forwards again who can be trusted in all situations, 1st line, through 4th line. power play and penalty kill, scoring line or shut down line. stamkos is 1st, 2nd line, power play only. he would get absolutely destroyed playing as a shut down line (which all lines need to be in the olympics). stamkos cannot be hidden in the olympics, his horrendous defensive play will get eaten apart by teams 3rd lines.

it all depends on what the team wants, but i will say right now if babcock is the coach again (which is almost a guarantee), and yzerman is the GM once again almost a guarantee. thornton has one of the better chances of making the team, babcock loved him in vancouver, and still thinks he is the most dangerous on the sharks.

Barrie22 is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:53 AM
  #978
crunchyblack*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
carter will not be going if his linemate/team mate richards doesn't go.

st louis didn't get invited in a season where he put up 94 points, i highly doubt he goes in a season where he will be 38 years old.

staal can play winger and center.

getzlaf has just as much of a shot of going as thornton does.

neal has 0 shot at going, unless he comes out of the gate and produces at crosby rates, he is not going to sochi.

stamkos isn't even a lock on that list, especially if the brain trust goes with 2 way forwards again who can be trusted in all situations, 1st line, through 4th line. power play and penalty kill, scoring line or shut down line. stamkos is 1st, 2nd line, power play only. he would get absolutely destroyed playing as a shut down line (which all lines need to be in the olympics). stamkos cannot be hidden in the olympics, his horrendous defensive play will get eaten apart by teams 3rd lines.

it all depends on what the team wants, but i will say right now if babcock is the coach again (which is almost a guarantee), and yzerman is the GM once again almost a guarantee. thornton has one of the better chances of making the team, babcock loved him in vancouver, and still thinks he is the most dangerous on the sharks.
Hockey Canada has alluded multiple times that the first line will probably be Stammer - Cros - Staal

Babcock IS the coach, was announced yesterday.


Last edited by crunchyblack*: 07-22-2013 at 11:05 AM.
crunchyblack* is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 11:10 AM
  #979
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
carter will not be going if his linemate/team mate richards doesn't go.

st louis didn't get invited in a season where he put up 94 points, i highly doubt he goes in a season where he will be 38 years old.

staal can play winger and center.

getzlaf has just as much of a shot of going as thornton does.

neal has 0 shot at going, unless he comes out of the gate and produces at crosby rates, he is not going to sochi.

stamkos isn't even a lock on that list, especially if the brain trust goes with 2 way forwards again who can be trusted in all situations, 1st line, through 4th line. power play and penalty kill, scoring line or shut down line. stamkos is 1st, 2nd line, power play only. he would get absolutely destroyed playing as a shut down line (which all lines need to be in the olympics). stamkos cannot be hidden in the olympics, his horrendous defensive play will get eaten apart by teams 3rd lines.

it all depends on what the team wants, but i will say right now if babcock is the coach again (which is almost a guarantee), and yzerman is the GM once again almost a guarantee. thornton has one of the better chances of making the team, babcock loved him in vancouver, and still thinks he is the most dangerous on the sharks.
JT did not perform well in the last Olympics. I figured St. Louis would make it being joined at the hip with Stamkos. If he doesn't partner, I figure they let in one of the spare wings. Bergeron will lead their defense. I figured they were light on wings, that is why Carter. I figure that they will have a lot of centers playing wing like Bergeron, Staal, Couture (maybe) and Giroux. For defensive forwards, I figure they start with Bergeron followed by Toews, Carter and Staal. If they take Perry, they will take Getzlaf.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 11:32 AM
  #980
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
JT did not perform well in the last Olympics. I figured St. Louis would make it being joined at the hip with Stamkos. If he doesn't partner, I figure they let in one of the spare wings. Bergeron will lead their defense. I figured they were light on wings, that is why Carter. I figure that they will have a lot of centers playing wing like Bergeron, Staal, Couture (maybe) and Giroux. For defensive forwards, I figure they start with Bergeron followed by Toews, Carter and Staal. If they take Perry, they will take Getzlaf.
I wish i could find the time and energy to find the stats, but thornton was heavily used as a defensive forward in the last olympics starting the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone, but like thornton lines always do his lines finished in the offensive zone and heavily outshot his opponents. Thornton and crosby were both the leaders at this.

Barrie22 is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
  #981
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
I wish i could find the time and energy to find the stats, but thornton was heavily used as a defensive forward in the last olympics starting the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone, but like thornton lines always do his lines finished in the offensive zone and heavily outshot his opponents. Thornton and crosby were both the leaders at this.
In the last Olympics, JT's points were way down and he had a very low team-relative +/-. He may have had zone time, but it looked like giveaways were an issue. Plus, JT has been virtually relieved of his PK duties. The above 4 forwards named are heavily involved in PK and frequently matched to top comp. Bergeron and Toews are recent Selke nominees/winners.

I do agree that Canada will probably have a lot of guys relatively speaking without a whole lot of defensive conscience. I went over the US likelihoods and found that with one or two exceptions almost all of their guys were heavily used defensively.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 12:19 PM
  #982
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
In the last Olympics, JT's points were way down and he had a very low team-relative +/-. He may have had zone time, but it looked like giveaways were an issue. Plus, JT has been virtually relieved of his PK duties. The above 4 forwards named are heavily involved in PK and frequently matched to top comp. Bergeron and Toews are recent Selke nominees/winners.

I do agree that Canada will probably have a lot of guys relatively speaking without a whole lot of defensive conscience. I went over the US likelihoods and found that with one or two exceptions almost all of their guys were heavily used defensively.
no they won't, because babcock and company won't take players that do not play a 2 way game. it is why there was such an uproar last olympics when stamkos and st louis were left off the team. both had huge years going for them that season. but yzerman, stamko's and st louis boss even came out and told the world they just weren't good enough 2 way forwards to crack the team.

stamkos even though he was tied for 3rd in the league for even strength points, still finished the season with a -4. that is not just bad defensively, that is just horrendous. especially when you take into account for him being the worst on his team with that -4 it makes it even worse.

Barrie22 is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 01:32 PM
  #983
Squeeven
Registered User
 
Squeeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
I'm pretty disappointed that my boy Marleau isn't on team Canada but I'm happy for Joe, Logan and Vlasic. Finally Couture and Vlasic are getting the recognition they deserve, especially Vlasic. Logan is already pretty well known throughout the league as a big threat but unfortunately Vlasic is not that well known at all and is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league so congrats to him. Is there any way the roster can change aside from injuries? Any way Marleau can still make it? I'm guessing no right?

Squeeven is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 01:33 PM
  #984
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
no they won't, because babcock and company won't take players that do not play a 2 way game. it is why there was such an uproar last olympics when stamkos and st louis were left off the team. both had huge years going for them that season. but yzerman, stamko's and st louis boss even came out and told the world they just weren't good enough 2 way forwards to crack the team.

stamkos even though he was tied for 3rd in the league for even strength points, still finished the season with a -4. that is not just bad defensively, that is just horrendous. especially when you take into account for him being the worst on his team with that -4 it makes it even worse.
Here is the invites roster:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131

JT and Boyle are on it. The article below does not project that they will make the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428036

SJeasy is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
  #985
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
I honestly don't think any of the Sharks will make team Canada. Couture is fringe because he can score and is defensively responsible. Boyle is not the best at what he does anymore. Vlasic, while superb defensively, will likely be passed over by someone with a bit more offense.

Thornton is the weird one. He is clearly the Sharks best player, but looked out of place last time whether it be the team composition or the larger ice.

Either way, I don't see any Sharks playing an impact role for TC.

Edit: Actually really surprised Marleau wasn't invited.


Last edited by SnarkAttack: 07-22-2013 at 02:00 PM.
SnarkAttack is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
  #986
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 8,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
In the last Olympics, JT's points were way down and he had a very low team-relative +/-. He may have had zone time, but it looked like giveaways were an issue. Plus, JT has been virtually relieved of his PK duties. The above 4 forwards named are heavily involved in PK and frequently matched to top comp. Bergeron and Toews are recent Selke nominees/winners.

I do agree that Canada will probably have a lot of guys relatively speaking without a whole lot of defensive conscience. I went over the US likelihoods and found that with one or two exceptions almost all of their guys were heavily used defensively.
The US showed in 2010 that if Canada and Russia are going to send out artisans to do a plumber's job, that the US would sent out plumbers to do that job and would win it handidly.

Canada needs players who can succeed off the top 2 lines, if need be. Stamkos and St.Louis were not those players.

I'd say that Thornton and Marleau can be those types of players, but there will be healthy competition.

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 08:02 PM
  #987
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,307
vCash: 50
Winnipeg's 5 year 4.7m per gives the Sharks a starting point for Pavelski. Pavs is definitely better, but they are fairly similar players.

matt trick is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 08:18 PM
  #988
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,144
vCash: 500
Similar players, sure. But as a UFA, Pavelski could ask for significantly more.

StalockSuperfan is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
  #989
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,307
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Similar players, sure. But as a UFA, Pavelski could ask for significantly more.
Totally agree. In fairness, they bought out 4 years of UFA. If you assume 4m for his final year of RFA, it's 4 years at 5m per. Also, the Sharks wouldn't have to pay a "we suck" tax, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sharks sign him to 5 years 5.5m per.

matt trick is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:27 PM
  #990
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,526
vCash: 500
Burns is the most likely Shark to make team Canada.

MarleauApologist is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:50 PM
  #991
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 60,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Burns is the most likely Shark to make team Canada.
He wasn't even invited to the camp.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:54 PM
  #992
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
He wasn't even invited to the camp.
Bergeron wasn't either in 2010.

But if burns makes it, that basically all but stamps thorntons ticket to sochi to.

Barrie22 is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 11:33 PM
  #993
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Bergeron wasn't either in 2010.

But if burns makes it, that basically all but stamps thorntons ticket to sochi to.
If they dominate this season like we think they will then they will make it.

Hatrick Marleau is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 11:02 AM
  #994
chrisclark110
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
What do you guys think the d pairings will be this year?
Vlasic/Braun was great in the PO but I don't think they can consistently break out of there own zone when facing top comp. Boyle and Irwin? Stuart Demers? Is Hannan the #7 D? I think one bad stretch for Demers and he's done this year...

chrisclark110 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 11:14 AM
  #995
SwolePatrol
Eberle=Clutch
 
SwolePatrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,714
vCash: 500
My best guess at team Canada is

Stammer-Crosby-E.Staal
Giroux-Taveras-Perry
Bergy-Toews-Richards
Nash-Thornton-Sharp
Eberle, J.Staal

M.Staal-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty-Pietroangelo
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawful

3rd goalie wont matter, he wont see the ice.

Thornton is really the only shark with a decent chance, and even then, i almost put a Nash-Getzlaf-Perry 4th line with Sharp on line 2 in perry's spot,

SwolePatrol is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 11:21 AM
  #996
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 13,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
I'm pretty disappointed that my boy Marleau isn't on team Canada but I'm happy for Joe, Logan and Vlasic. Finally Couture and Vlasic are getting the recognition they deserve, especially Vlasic. Logan is already pretty well known throughout the league as a big threat but unfortunately Vlasic is not that well known at all and is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league so congrats to him. Is there any way the roster can change aside from injuries? Any way Marleau can still make it? I'm guessing no right?
This isn't the roster. These guys were just invited to camp. I'd be shocked if Boyle and Vlasic made it, and I'd be surprised if Thornton made it.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
  #997
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 33,476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclark110 View Post
What do you guys think the d pairings will be this year?
Vlasic/Braun was great in the PO but I don't think they can consistently break out of there own zone when facing top comp. Boyle and Irwin? Stuart Demers? Is Hannan the #7 D? I think one bad stretch for Demers and he's done this year...
I have no reason to think Vlasic and Braun will be broken up. Braun has a good break-out pass and can actually handle the puck and skate it out.

Juxtaposer is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 07:53 PM
  #998
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 500
man, is that kyle clifford trade thread for real?

honestly dont pay a ton of attention to the guy, but he cant be worth that much

do0glas is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 07:58 PM
  #999
Squeeven
Registered User
 
Squeeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
This isn't the roster. These guys were just invited to camp. I'd be shocked if Boyle and Vlasic made it, and I'd be surprised if Thornton made it.
Yeah my bad, I kinda wrote that wrong lol. But I guess what I meant to say is I'm disappointed Marleau didn't get an invite and congrats to the boys that did. Is there a way Marleau can still get an invite or is this list pretty much set?

Squeeven is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 08:02 PM
  #1000
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Yeah my bad, I kinda wrote that wrong lol. But I guess what I meant to say is I'm disappointed Marleau didn't get an invite and congrats to the boys that did. Is there a way Marleau can still get an invite or is this list pretty much set?
It is set, but it still does not exclude him from making the team. But if marleau does make the actual team it will mean he and the sharks are doing great.

Barrie22 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.