If Di Vaio leaves after this year for a Director role with Bologna. I hope we hunt for one of these to replace him...
1. Djibril Cissť, turning 32 : He just joined Kuban of the russian league. On a 1 + 1 contract following a free transfer. So possible for next year....Especially if he doesnt like it or if they don't do well. Former Lazio (like Nesta and Di Vaio), speaks English, French, probably a little Italian.
2. Sergio Floccari, turning 32 : Good in the air, good technically, I think he would do well in MLS. Contract ends in june, another former Lazio.
3. Diego Milito, just turned 34 : Perfect replacement for Di Vaio, same kind of player. 9 goals in 20 games last year, I believe his contact ends next june. So maybe free transfer, unless he re-signs. Another Argentine. With his recent injuries, very well could be available. If healthy still very good.
4. Claudio Pizarro, turning 35 : Good in the air, Peruvian/Italian. Played at Chelsea and Bayern. Currently at Bayern, contract ends in June.
5. Diego Forlan : Just for the laughs.
Tommaso Rocchi, turning 36 in september : Available now, free agent, still fit for his age, another former Lazio, played at Inter last year. Short term fix. For maybe 1 year.
Louis Saha, turning 35 : Injury prone. But is free, and may not cost too much. Was once very good.
Long shots :
Dimitar Berbatov, will be 33 next june when his contract expires : Very talented, great technically, tall. Would be awesome. Bulgarian. Former ManU, now at Fulham.
Lisandro Lopez, turns free next june (if not re-signe), but too many clubs interested in him and too young to probably consider coming over here. Will be 31 next june....
Mauro Zarate : Complicated! Depends on Fifa ruling of his transfer and very young and very talented. But headcase and could be trouble. But loved him his first years at Lazio.
Note: All contracts info are from Transfermarkt. Could change between now and June obviously.
Keep in mind that their contract ends in June and Di Vaio ends in December (gap of almost 6 months), so some of these players might sign extensions & forget Lisandro Lopez. It all depends on how their season goes. Saha & Rocchi will both flop, no question. IMHO we will sign someone ala Corradi until we get our new DP (after the WC) and none of these players would come for 6 months only.
Wait, you're an NYR and IMFC fan in Toronto? What's your link with both teams?
NYR - Wayne Gretzky since 1997. Was 9 years old - safe to say when you like team as a kid, it sticks with you.
1. Totally turned off by TFC. I'm not a huge fan of EPL, especially United. I hate the whole hooligan thing, and I consider the league to be one that penalizes good tactics - "Boring City, after Mancini employed a defensive system".
Therefore, considering: 1)My disdain for MLSE and their awful management 2) The attempt at being a complete Manchester United rip-off 3)A fanbase that seems to want to emulate the hooligan mentality:
My friends are TFC fans, and I made the mistake of going to see the opener in MTL in the TFC fan supporters section. Behaviour of TFC fanbase was awful - throwing beer at sections beside them, flipping the adjacent sections the finger during the wave, and the token want to be hooligan behind me who kept yelling c***. This all further cemented my disgust. 4) The tendency to buy english championship players
This all just reminded me of United - my least favourite team.
2) I'm Italian and I love the national team. I have followed it since I was a kid, and love players like Nesta, Di Vaio etc, so seeing Saputo and De Santis build a Euro-centric team in MLS appealed to me.
Also, one of my TFC friends told me that Nesta initially approached Toronto, and the director of TFC, Nelson, I think didn't even return his call. Clearly, he doesn't have a clue and why TFC sucks.
So yesterday Vermes said "Henry will be the captain, Zusi will start, and Fernandez will be in nets. Thats all I'm going to tell you guys" during the Google Hangout Q&A session. Well the teams today in training are
Major League Soccer @MLS
Green: Fernandez, Collin, Ashe, Besler, Johnson, Beckerman, Zusi, Di Vaio, Davis, Henry. #MLSAllStar
Major League Soccer @MLS
Red: Rimando, Yedlin, Gonzalez, Beltran, Bernier, Wondo, Camilo, LD, Jack Mac, Magee
So looks like MdV would start the game alongside Henry
I will leave this here just in case, from MLS. "When Montreal play in a 4-4-2, they've allowed 21 goals in 10 games. When they play in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1, they've allowed eight in 10. Don't expect to see two forwards from this team in the weeks to come unless they're chasing the game."