HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the year off benefit Niewendyk, Belfour, Roberts, Mogilny etc?

View Poll Results: Will the year off benefit Niewendyk, Belfour, Roberts, Mogilny etc?
gy and Yes, they'll have reserved energy and come out flying 6 20.69%
no, they'll have lost the adrenaline like gilmour did with the previous lockout 17 58.62%
i dunno, besides do we even get half of these guys signed? 10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
gilmour wasnt the same afetr the 93 / 94 series cause he broke his foot

Old
06-14-2005, 05:44 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
Time to retire

The year to use those players to secure a cup past away with the lockout...as much as I admire them and their careers, they simply won't have enough in the tank for another full year and then a marathon Cup run.

It is time to re-jig (not rebuilld) Pick up a couple of younger free agents and fill the void with younger players (Stajan, Steen, Wellwood, Telly) and start drafting some offensive forwards.

Old
06-14-2005, 07:19 AM

Weird to see some of your opinions here...out of all the players mentionned, Gary Roberts was the one who I thought you had to worry less about considering his training regiment, I mean, this is a guy who came back from a couple of neck fusion surgeries, I don't think a year off would hurt him that much, considering his style of play, I'd bet he'll be rejuvenated...

Can't say I feel the same way about Mogilny, Belfour and Nieuwendyk though...another one that's not mentionned is Sundin, it'll be veryinteresting to see how he performs after the layoff, not to worried about him, but you never know...

Old
06-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
These aren't guys who are 33-34 years old, though. They're all closer to 40 (if not already there) and chances are that only Mogilny and perhaps Belfour don't retire. Roberts and Nieuwy are both finished.
Roberts would tend to disagree. In an interview with Howard Berger yesterday Roberts stated that he would definitely be back but if not with the Leafs, then someone else. Just as long as it's not with Ottawa, although I've got this creepy feeling it will be, they'd love nothing more for him to come in and groom Spezza who trains regularly at Station 7 and plays shinny with Gary and co. quite often at Lakeshore Lyons. And if Gary and Joe once again become a 1,2 package, then Ottawa would be stupid to pass up the opportunity to have two of the best mentors of the sport for their budding franchise centre.

Old
06-14-2005, 08:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Weird to see some of your opinions here...out of all the players mentionned, Gary Roberts was the one who I thought you had to worry less about considering his training regiment, I mean, this is a guy who came back from a couple of neck fusion surgeries, I don't think a year off would hurt him that much, considering his style of play, I'd bet he'll be rejuvenated...
He might be fine, great, terrific, but he plays so much on emotion and heart, while Mogilny plays so much on intelligence and skill. Not saying Gary doesn't have the smarts, but his intangible asset has been his heart. At a certain point you go to the well and it is empty.

That is my fear for Gary, excellent conditioning but that extra surge of energy he relies on could be gone.

Old
06-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
he can be replaced though....if Eddie starts looking like an old man we're in big trouble.

In goaltender years Eddie already is an old man and his back is that of an old man. We need to have a capable backup for the many games that Eddie needs off or will be injured for.

Old
06-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Roberts would tend to disagree. In an interview with Howard Berger yesterday Roberts stated that he would definitely be back but if not with the Leafs, then someone else. Just as long as it's not with Ottawa, although I've got this creepy feeling it will be, they'd love nothing more for him to come in and groom Spezza who trains regularly at Station 7 and plays shinny with Gary and co. quite often at Lakeshore Lyons. And if Gary and Joe once again become a 1,2 package, then Ottawa would be stupid to pass up the opportunity to have two of the best mentors of the sport for their budding franchise centre.
Mentor's are what you need for prospect and player development ..

I could not think of a better pair then Roberts and Newy for that job ..

I believe that the leafs should talk to them of jobs after hockey and if that means 1 more year with the Leafs then I am fine with that, as opposed to the picture you painted above .. Ottawa would be the logical choice both being Ontario boy and Roberts playing his junior hockey with the 67's to boot ..

With Roberts and Newy the pendulum in the battle of Ontario swings the other way in the playoffs, and you know the heart of Roberts .. If Fergy pulls a Dougie Gilmour stunt and says you have nothing left, when Fergy first arrived, well you might as well paint a big red bull's-eye on Eddie and the Toronto net then ..

Tough call for Fergy .. it might come down to money though ..

However if they are in the long-term plans then they need to be in the short term. Next NHL season is going to be chaos anyways so use it as a steeping stone to the future .

Last edited by Mess: 06-14-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Closed Thread