HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey Cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by akademiks View Post

Found these two cards while going through a bin at the local pawn shop. Luckily the cashier didnt know/care who the players were and got them both for 7 bucks

Although I did check ebay before purchasing them to see their worth, are the auction prices online relatively close to their actual value? That being said, how would I go about getting them graded? And by whom? Beckett?

Looks like that pawn shop will be out of business soon with a staff like that

Great find !

Old
08-22-2013, 03:08 PM
1967ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
I don't touch Victory. To me, its the worst product of the year. Something for a dad to buy so his kid who doesn't care about the cards and just wants to spend time with can spend time with him, ha ha.
Sounds like an excellent reason to buy them.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Yep, don't go for Victory. They don't have much value are mostly there for the kids. If you want a product not so expensive but have a chance to score some nice cards with value go for Upper Deck Series 1 or OPC. Only buy hobby boxes except if you're collecting to build the base set. UD Series 1 is clearly the best product for any starter and like I said earlier, it will release in two months so that gives you some time to get some cash aside .

Don't buy UD Series 1 from 12-13 since the rookie class was very weak and with not a lot of noticeable rookies.
Okay, good to know. I've seen some 10-11 and 11-12 victory boxes for about 30. That's why I asked but now I'll avoid buying those.

Yeah, looking forward to the 13-14 ud series 1. While waiting I might get myself a box of 09-10 UD S1. Some rookies i like a lot back there.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/cards/s...hp?set_id=5152

Are those 253 listed cards all the cards available in this series?

Old
08-22-2013, 03:40 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
Alright. So my first box will probably be a UD series I hobby box. Will see from which year, depending on the price and the young guns available.

Still going to pick up some retail blaster packs if I get them cheap enough. Still waiting for a response. Just for fun. Right now I know I'm not supposed to pay too much for those, though.

What about Upper Deck Victory Hobby?
Wouldn't waste your time with the blaster packs.

For UD, there are multiple types of "retail", which includes: Blaster, regular retail, and tins.

Of those options Blaster is the worst. The blaster packs come with 5 cards per pack, instead of 8 with the other options. The odds of getting Young Guns are 1:6 with Blaster vs 1:4 for all the other UD products.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
13-14 O Pee Chee is a great buy for you guys then. And you still have chances to hit three and four digit cards. There just won't be as many 30 to 80 dollar cards.
Yep bought a box, always liked the O-Pee-Chee sets, last years favorite was Black Diamond, bit more expensive but I reckon great value for the money.

08-22-2013, 04:38 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Yep, don't go for Victory. They don't have much value are mostly there for the kids. If you want a product not so expensive but have a chance to score some nice cards with value go for Upper Deck Series 1 or OPC. Only buy hobby boxes except if you're collecting to build the base set. UD Series 1 is clearly the best product for any starter and like I said earlier, it will release in two months so that gives you some time to get some cash aside .

Don't buy UD Series 1 from 12-13 since the rookie class was very weak and with not a lot of noticeable rookies.
There are a couple of other reasons to not buy older products as well. For one, in most products with autographed cards, there are redemptions, and once the card gets to be a certain age, they are no longer redeemable, so you could have a good hit pulled, that ends up being nothing. Another reason, is that guys seem to be much more willing to trade older stuff than newer, especially with Young Guns. I have made tons of trades that include one or two (or sometimes three) new Young Guns of guys who are worth nothing, and are longshots to be more than a 1 or 2 game NHL'er, for decent Young Guns from older sets, simply because people needed them to build there sets. You get more value from the newer Young Guns almost always. One example of a trade I did, was an Alex Plante YG and a Liam Reddox YG for set fillers (two Oilers who were never going to be stars) for a Mike Richards YG. They valued out at similar, so its fair in that sense, but if it was a rookie from the same year who had Richards like potential, it wouldn't have happened. Its easier to move out your doubles of nobodies in the year the product is released because people need to finish building their sets.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:39 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Yep bought a box, always liked the O-Pee-Chee sets, last years favorite was Black Diamond, bit more expensive but I reckon great value for the money.
Black Diamond are beautiful, but personally, I've always had a hard time getting value out of a box. Maybe I'm just unlucky with it.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Black Diamond are beautiful, but personally, I've always had a hard time getting value out of a box. Maybe I'm just unlucky with it.
..or I was lucky! But yeah, I really like how they look, I reckon that's important as well.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
It's not you. There's a reason why they put this product out at the beginning of the year when little else is out.

But...UD has escalated it majorly, every year for the last five years (since 08-09) with non-auto, non-memorabilia inserts and now it's a decent break. The (Run for the Cup) film cards like Hardware Heroes/Lustrous, the acetate Stanley Cup Rings have improved the product greatly. They've added value without accelerating the product.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:54 AM
blankall

Well, busted the 3 retail boxes of 2009/10 Upper Deck Series 1 I bought. Paid $32 plus tax and shipping, which came out to just under $40/box.

The 1st 2 boxes were very meh. My best cards were Stalberg, Caputi, Hedman, and checklist Young Guns. I'd also pulled a Vokuon and Tiger Williams jersey cards. I'd missed all the big Young Guns though.

Then in my 3rd box I pulled an Evander Kane and then a Ville Leino Young Guns card. So was already feeling much better about the purchase. Then in my second last pack I pulled the Tavares Young Guns card.

I also got two complete base sets from 3 boxes, which was a pretty good bonus.

Overall, very good value. I'll be looking out for a similar deal on the 2008/09. You need a bit of luck though. If I hadn't pulled that Tavares card at the end, it would've been a different story. If I can sell off a descent amount of the cards I don't want, I'll consider another buy from this set too.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:56 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Well, busted the 3 retail boxes of 2009/10 Upper Deck Series 1 I bought. Paid $32 plus tax and shipping, which came out to just under $40/box.

The 1st 2 boxes were very meh. My best cards were Stalberg, Caputi, Hedman, and checklist Young Guns. I'd also pulled a Vokuon and Tiger Williams jersey cards. I'd missed all the big Young Guns though.

Then in my 3rd box I pulled an Evander Kane and then a Ville Leino Young Guns card. So was already feeling much better about the purchase. Then in my second last pack I pulled the Tavares Young Guns card.

I also got two complete base sets from 3 boxes, which was a pretty good bonus.

Overall, very good value. I'll be looking out for a similar deal on the 2008/09. You need a bit of luck though. If I hadn't pulled that Tavares card at the end, it would've been a different story. If I can sell off a descent amount of the cards I don't want, I'll consider another buy from this set too.
For some kind of reason ebay.com doesn't work for me right now.
What's the value of a Tavares/Kane/Leino Young Guns card?

I've already checked their respective values.
Looks great for JT, okay for Kane and not so good for Leino
A bit surprised that Hedman's value seems to be very low as well.

Last edited by Kschey: 08-23-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old
08-23-2013, 09:34 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
For some kind of reason ebay.com doesn't work for me right now.
What's the value of a Tavares/Kane/Leino Young Guns card?

I've already checked their respective values.
Looks great for JT, okay for Kane and not so good for Leino
A bit surprised that Hedman's value seems to be very low as well.
In terms of ebay, which I find to most reliable, Kane and Tavares are both around 40, give or take a few bucks. Leino is basically common in terms of selling or buying for cash, so a couple of bucks.

Defensemen in general seem to usually be lower. The only d-man that has come out with significant value that I recall was Subban, and that's because a ton of people collect Montreal. Even guys like Drew Doughty and Shea Weber's mid range rookies can be had for 10 bucks or less. I had almost all of Bogosian's rookies at one point (not The Cup, but the other mid to high end ones) and didn't pay 10 dollars for any single card, even autographed ones. I got his UD Ultimate auto rc, which I think was numbered out of /499 or /399, and bought it for a whopping 7.50 plus shipping. Defensemen are less sought after than forwards and goalies.

Old
08-23-2013, 11:11 AM
blankall

Quote:
In terms of ebay, which I find to most reliable, Kane and Tavares are both around 40, give or take a few bucks. Leino is basically common in terms of selling or buying for cash, so a couple of bucks.

Defensemen in general seem to usually be lower. The only d-man that has come out with significant value that I recall was Subban, and that's because a ton of people collect Montreal. Even guys like Drew Doughty and Shea Weber's mid range rookies can be had for 10 bucks or less. I had almost all of Bogosian's rookies at one point (not The Cup, but the other mid to high end ones) and didn't pay 10 dollars for any single card, even autographed ones. I got his UD Ultimate auto rc, which I think was numbered out of /499 or /399, and bought it for a whopping 7.50 plus shipping. Defensemen are less sought after than forwards and goalies.
Karlsson has significant value too.

Karlsson and Kane are both significant players for Canadian franchises, so their values are inflated. Not Subban inflated, but inflated.

Old
08-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:

Luke Schenn. When he came out and played well for the Leafs right away, he was worth double what Doughty was worth.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
What the hell does Level 1, 2 and 3 mean?

I've been out of the game too long.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:53 PM
ManofSteel55

Panini Prime comes out tomorrow in Canada. I bought a pack once. I would have rather paid someone to kick me in the balls. It was that bad, lol. Anyone buying any? Anyone have any luck with previous editions of Prime?

Old
08-23-2013, 01:57 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
What the hell does Level 1, 2 and 3 mean?

I've been out of the game too long.
Usually deals with rarity. A higher level has a lesser print run, that sort of thing.

ITG does a gold, silver and bronze system I think. Gold versions are 1 of 1, silvers 1 of 10ish and so on.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:02 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Karlsson has significant value too.

Karlsson and Kane are both significant players for Canadian franchises, so their values are inflated. Not Subban inflated, but inflated.
Good call. Karlsson, yes. I made a few bucks swapping for his rc's early on in his Norris year, ha ha.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:06 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Usually deals with rarity. A higher level has a lesser print run, that sort of thing.

ITG does a gold, silver and bronze system I think. Gold versions are 1 of 1, silvers 1 of 10ish and so on.
They usually do gold, silver, and black. Print runs vary, but golds are the 1/1 or /10 on high print run stuff.

It also refers to other sets, its all rarity though. Tier 1 rookies from The Cup are /99, and tier 2 are I believe /399. Tier 3 are usually only autos, no patches and /999 or something. UD Ice has 4 tiers, tier 1 /99, tier 2 /499, tier 3 /1999, tier 4 /2999. Or that's what it used to be, I haven't went for Ice since they stopped releasing it as a stand alone product.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:36 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Luke Schenn. When he came out and played well for the Leafs right away, he was worth double what Doughty was worth.
And now Schenn is worth almost nothing, ha ha. It's true though, Leaf and Habs guys will always have value during their rookie years. Even commons from those teams are decent trade bait.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Okay, good to know. I've seen some 10-11 and 11-12 victory boxes for about 30€. That's why I asked but now I'll avoid buying those.

Yeah, looking forward to the 13-14 ud series 1. While waiting I might get myself a box of 09-10 UD S1. Some rookies i like a lot back there.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/cards/s...hp?set_id=5152

Are those 253 listed cards all the cards available in this series?
Here's the official checklist for 09-10 UD series 1

http://sports.upperdeck.com/collecto...?q=6&sid=54120

Last edited by Punkeater: 08-23-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot the link :P
Old
08-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
There are a couple of other reasons to not buy older products as well. For one, in most products with autographed cards, there are redemptions, and once the card gets to be a certain age, they are no longer redeemable, so you could have a good hit pulled, that ends up being nothing. Another reason, is that guys seem to be much more willing to trade older stuff than newer, especially with Young Guns. I have made tons of trades that include one or two (or sometimes three) new Young Guns of guys who are worth nothing, and are longshots to be more than a 1 or 2 game NHL'er, for decent Young Guns from older sets, simply because people needed them to build there sets. You get more value from the newer Young Guns almost always. One example of a trade I did, was an Alex Plante YG and a Liam Reddox YG for set fillers (two Oilers who were never going to be stars) for a Mike Richards YG. They valued out at similar, so its fair in that sense, but if it was a rookie from the same year who had Richards like potential, it wouldn't have happened. Its easier to move out your doubles of nobodies in the year the product is released because people need to finish building their sets.
True dat. Just take the 12-13 SP Authentic release couple months ago with the UD Series 2 update in it. You could sell your base update cards on eBay very easily because people were building the set. Now, it's already started to cool off. I always prefer to buy boxes from the actual year too.

As of me, I collect mostly Upper Deck products. Habs players such as Subban, Galchenyuk, Roy, Lafleur, Beliveau etc. My favorite product from upper deck is Sp Authentic. I try to collect every year future watch set.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:28 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
True dat. Just take the 12-13 SP Authentic release couple months ago with the UD Series 2 update in it. You could sell your base update cards on eBay very easily because people were building the set. Now, it's already started to cool off. I always prefer to buy boxes from the actual year too.

As of me, I collect mostly Upper Deck products. Habs players such as Subban, Galchenyuk, Roy, Lafleur, Beliveau etc. My favorite product from upper deck is Sp Authentic. I try to collect every year future watch set.
SP Authentic is such a nice set. I don't buy boxes because I always seem to pull nothing, good. But I love trading for them. I haven't bought boxes in awhile now, but have bought a lot of product from each company. I seem to find a product I like and stick with it. Last one for me was Parkhurst Champions. I prefer autos and memorabilia cards of legends. Best card I currently have is a Ken Dryden stick card /20 from Between the Pipes from a few years ago.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
And now Schenn is worth almost nothing, ha ha. It's true though, Leaf and Habs guys will always have value during their rookie years. Even commons from those teams are decent trade bait.
You got that right. I've always been able to say that To and Mtl fans are a bit too optimistic on their prospects and point to the Canadian $$s they spend on YGs...especially TML fans.
Tlusty, Schenn, Pogge, Gustavsson, Reimer and more...

Old
08-26-2013, 04:50 PM
TheOllieC
Leadership

vCash: 620
I was in the checkout line at Target today and saw this value pack with 10 packs inside it:

So I picked it up for like $11 or something like that and in one of the packs it had this:

I didn't really expect to pull an auto Kesler card out of there but hey i'll take it.

Closed Thread