HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey Cards

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
I'm going to go run out and buy a box of Trilogy at Frank N Sons...I'm hoping it's sold out so I save 300 bucks lol.

Old
07-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I'm going to go run out and buy a box of Trilogy at Frank N Sons...I'm hoping it's sold out so I save 300 bucks lol.
I got:
Crystal Greats - Pelle Lindbergh
/699 Rookie Premieres L1 - Stefan Matteau (Matteau Matteau)
Base Auto II - Tyler Seguin
Star Spotlight PPP triple jersey - Coffey, Whitney (eww), Schultz (a donut of a card!)
Star Spotlight NT triple jersey - Salming (calm down!), Lidstrom, Ekman-Larsson
Ice Scripts - Mike Gartner

and...

/49 Rookie Premiers L3 - Viktor Fasth
/49 Rookie Premiers L3 - Beau Bennett
/15 Signature Pucks - Doug Gilmour

Umm...beat the odds on that one?

- R
.>|<.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Bring_Back_PK

Quote:
I got:
Crystal Greats - Pelle Lindbergh
/699 Rookie Premieres L1 - Stefan Matteau (Matteau Matteau)
Base Auto II - Tyler Seguin
Star Spotlight PPP triple jersey - Coffey, Whitney (eww), Schultz (a donut of a card!)
Star Spotlight NT triple jersey - Salming (calm down!), Lidstrom, Ekman-Larsson
Ice Scripts - Mike Gartner

and...

/49 Rookie Premiers L3 - Viktor Fasth
/49 Rookie Premiers L3 - Beau Bennett
/15 Signature Pucks - Doug Gilmour

Umm...beat the odds on that one?

- R
.>|<.
I was at the card shop on friday, and I had a box of Trilogy in my hands, but decided it was just too much to spend on cards. I ended up buying a box of 2013 press pass ignite (NASCAR) instead, and was much happier with what I got. My major problem with Trilogy is that it's a high end product that seems to center around sticker auto's and jersey cards. If you don't hit a nice rookie in your break there's absolutely no chance you even come close to breaking even on your break. If I'm shelling out almost $300 for a box, I'd like to get hardsigned auto's and a patch, otherwise I'd just put that money towards a box of the cup. Eitherway nice hit on the Gilmour.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
I was at the card shop on friday, and I had a box of Trilogy in my hands, but decided it was just too much to spend on cards. I ended up buying a box of 2013 press pass ignite (NASCAR) instead, and was much happier with what I got. My major problem with Trilogy is that it's a high end product that seems to center around sticker auto's and jersey cards. If you don't hit a nice rookie in your break there's absolutely no chance you even come close to breaking even on your break. If I'm shelling out almost $300 for a box, I'd like to get hardsigned auto's and a patch, otherwise I'd just put that money towards a box of the cup. Eitherway nice hit on the Gilmour.
Thanks, I forgot to mention, I paid 225 cash

Old
07-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Bring_Back_PK

Quote:
Thanks, I forgot to mention, I paid 225 cash
That's not bad lol, where did you pick it up?

Old
07-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
That's not bad lol, where did you pick it up?
The most evil place in the world. Frank and Sons Warehouse.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:29 AM
mitch27

So I want to start getting into hockey cards. I had a binder-full as a kid, but I doubt they're worth anything. Where's the best place to start my collection? And is there any way to find out how valuable certain cards are?

Old
07-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Brandner View Post
So I want to start getting into hockey cards. I had a binder-full as a kid, but I doubt they're worth anything. Where's the best place to start my collection? And is there any way to find out how valuable certain cards are?
Beckett price book guide. Anywhere that sells magazines and such should have one. It'll cost 15 dollars at the most I believe.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:33 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Where would the fastest place to sell hockey cards be?

I've got 2 trunks full and just don't have the room to keep them anymore.

Old
07-21-2013, 01:23 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Go to a card shop, most places sell singles and boxes/packs from low end to high end. Obviously card shows although dealers might have cards priced too high. You can always negotiate with them and hope for the best. Ebay, imo is best place to go. Also, look at my response to Analyzer's quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Beckett price book guide. Anywhere that sells magazines and such should have one. It'll cost 15 dollars at the most I believe.
I disagree about Beckett being good. Beckett doesn't really update prices. I've seen some cards still listed at a high value when in reality, if you were to sell it now, it wouldn't even come close to what Beckett has it valued at.

I(and most, if not all collectors on the site I post at) think ebay is the best to get an idea on what a card is worth as it's always up to date sales prices. Although it sucks now because you can't see what a card sold for on a "best offer" deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post

If you have good ones, ebay. But if your cards aren't that great, ebay might not be worth your time. Other options, if they have card shows around your city, rent a table and sell your cards(but again, if your cards aren't great, people might not bother looking at them). Third option, join a card site, sell your cards. If you want to sell it quick, sell them in lots or sell it as one lot. Might have potential buyers but they would want it for a cheap price because they're taking all of your cards.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 07-21-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Falcons93

Just picked up a Kadri Young Guns (graded 9.5), a Nazem Kadri rookie auto & patch /25 from 2010/11 Panini Dominion (with letters from the Leafs logo in the patch), and a Jonathan Drouin autograph from 2012/2013 ITG Ultimate Mem. 12th edition. Both autographs look really nice compared to the autos I've seen on other cards from both players (Drouin tends to have a nice autograph on most cards though). I dished out $230 (including shipping/taxes) on all of these cards combined - it's a lot of money, but I'm definitely happy with these cards!

Old
07-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Go to a card shop, most places sell singles and boxes/packs from low end to high end. Obviously card shows although dealers might have cards priced too high. You can always negotiate with them and hope for the best. Ebay, imo is best place to go. Also, look at my response to Analyzer's quote.

I disagree about Beckett being good. Beckett doesn't really update prices. I've seen some cards still listed at a high value when in reality, if you were to sell it now, it wouldn't even come close to what Beckett has it valued at.

I(and most, if not all collectors on the site I post at) think ebay is the best to get an idea on what a card is worth as it's always up to date sales prices. Although it sucks now because you can't see what a card sold for on a "best offer" deal.

If you have good ones, ebay. But if your cards aren't that great, ebay might not be worth your time. Other options, if they have card shows around your city, rent a table and sell your cards(but again, if your cards aren't great, people might not bother looking at them). Third option, join a card site, sell your cards. If you want to sell it quick, sell them in lots or sell it as one lot. Might have potential buyers but they would want it for a cheap price because they're taking all of your cards.
Haha, these guys are beginners, bro. They just want a start, not the high-tech HI method.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Like the other person said, Beckett Hockey magazine is the simplest way to do it. Keep in mind the prices in there on regular old cards is way too high and it's a bit low on very rare cards. It costs 10 bucks in the US and like 13 in Canadia. I like the magazine since it's portable and usually it's quick to look up cards.

But if you want real-time pricing, nothing beats eBay completed auctions, if you have an eBay account. But it takes too long to look up every card where as you can look up in Beckett whole sets at a time. If for some reason you have a very rare card (like in the early 90s, any card with a serial number 5000 or below, or in the late 90s, anything that didn't come one per box), eBay is the best place to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post

First, they all have to be in nice condition...if they have rounded corners, they're donation material.

Second, If you're lucky enough to have a local hockey card show, you can bring a sample (or all if you're looking to unload right there) and have some dealers look at it. Very likely though, if you have that much and you didn't buy it recently (the last 15 years or so, probably you have nothing of value). By nothing of value I mean someone who sells cards all of the time would pay you 5 bucks or more for one card.

Last edited by Rorschach: 07-22-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Adding last sentence.
Old
07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
depends on what you have... for reference, I just gave 23,000 cards from that same era (commons and regulars) to goodwill. The tax writeoff is worth more than I'd be able to sell the cards for...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
What was the tax write off if you don't mind me asking?
They actually give you a blank receipt, and you fill in the value yourself. The only concern is that if you get audited, and have written off $10,000 they'll come knocking at your door asking for a list / proof... I'll write them off at probably $0.04-0.05 each... For a donation write-off of about $1000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Not to be a dick, but what would goodwill possibly want with hockey cards ?
No problem... Turns out Goodwill will take almost anything. We just had to call to verify that our local branch would indeed accept them. And it turns out that absolutely, our local branch will accept them.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:31 AM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Quick question, what do collectors do with the base cards?
See post #114 above

Old
07-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Turrican*

Any idea when UD 2014 is coming out? I need my YGs.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:11 PM
mitch27

What would be the best brand/set or whatever to purchase for a beginner? I just want to get started by buying a few packs.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
What would be the best brand/set or whatever to purchase for a beginner? I just want to get started by buying a few packs.
Today, I would say Black Diamond or Artifacts is neat. UD base brand is always a winner.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:26 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Today, I would say Black Diamond or Artifacts is neat. UD base brand is always a winner.
Awesome. Thanks for the responses everybody, you've been a big help.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Bring_Back_PK

Quote:
Two nice sets, I've always been a big fan of series 1 aswell, if your looking at a decent product to start with. Anything below that like score, MVP, victory etc are nice when you have the urge to open packs, but there's very little value to be had. Series one's young guns are very collectible and hold a decent amount of value, Artifacts has alot of patchey goodness, and Black Diamonds 4 <><><><> rookies are also pretty collectible.

And for whoever was asking, series one will be released early-mid November (according to my local card shop)

Old
07-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I think MVP is a highly underrated brand...sadly it is no more. Now it's inserted as cards in other products.

If you can get your hands on MVP for cheap, like less than50 a box Canadian, packed out, it is as healthy of a junk product that you can find.

A past year's MVP is not a bad place to start.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Jonsson

Send a message via MSN to Jonsson
Just bought a case on panini prime...will post it later when I get the case=)

May do some other posts in between for my latest catches=)

Old
07-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post

I guess you're right. Though, I remember when Platinum Player's club cards were really valuable. Some people on eBay still have them at that price.

For me, I prefer to use the book and divide in half. eBay, it's mostly people wanting high end dollar for stuff that sucks.

Though, a PK Subban rooking graded 9.5 from Beckett on eBay can go from 40-100. I've seen Roy cards on eBay for 150 dollars. If you just want for a bidding auction, you can get it for 50. Neither is better, at least Beckett is a fixed price that you can see if it's true from eBay.

The only consistent card that I've seen that sells for more than the BV is a Crosby YG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
No problem... Turns out Goodwill will take almost anything. We just had to call to verify that our local branch would indeed accept them. And it turns out that absolutely, our local branch will accept them.
I guess they'll take anything. I never knew that.

Old
07-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Hi guys, especially Habs fans, I have 3 available Alex Galchenyuk cards.

- Alex Galchenyuk Trilogy Rookie Premieres Level 1 #699 Auto (2x)
- Alex Glachenyuk Trilogy Rookie Pemieres Level 2 #399 Auto

PM if interested. I'm not looking for trades.

Thank you

Old
07-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Hi guys, especially Habs fans, I have 3 available Alex Galchenyuk cards.

- Alex Galchenyuk Trilogy Rookie Premieres Level 1 #699 Auto (2x)
- Alex Glachenyuk Trilogy Rookie Pemieres Level 2 #399 Auto

PM if interested. I'm not looking for trades.

Thank you
eBay those cards are all listed at 100+ dollars. I'm not sure of their BV, or if Beckett has even released one yet.

I bought a Gallagher Ice Premiers /125 for 28.

Closed Thread