HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Brian Burke

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 02:56 AM
HolyShot*

vCash: 500
Brian Burke

I want to point my question at you guys since you'll know the best. I've been trying to figure out why burke was fired in TO. He seems to have done a good job everywhere else and seems like he had toronto on the right road. Reason I ask is because of the success LAs GM has had and it got me thinking about burke and the ducks, etc...

Do you think that that was a fatal move to fire burke? That now toronto is doomed with nonis at the wheel? It seems like burke built your current team and now nonis may be ruining it??? Idk. Thanks for your input.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Leafs For Life*

Please tell us how Nonis is ruining this team? Lombardi+Connolly+Komisarek+MacArthur+Scrivens...< <<<<<<<Bolland+Clarkson+Bernier+...

Old
07-09-2013, 03:06 AM
agropop

This debate will rage on without any consensus for ever. I'll go out on a limb and say that without a doubt Burke left this team with a much better hand of cards than the one he inherited. Beyond that or more specifically why he got fired is open to a wild spectrum of interpretation.

You're about to hear them all, this thread will turn obnoxious by page 2.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:09 AM
HolyShot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs For Life View Post
Please tell us how Nonis is ruining this team? Lombardi+Connolly+Komisarek+MacArthur+Scrivens...< <<<<<<<Bolland+Clarkson+Bernier+...
I'm sorry. Maybe u misunderstood my intent. All that I'm asking is why was burke fired and do you think he shouldve been fired? Are the leafs better off now with or without burke? That's all.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:45 AM
TMLife*
Auston Matthews

I liked Burke, I think he did a lot of good for this team. That said, I also really like No is and trust him and the decisions he makes. I'm pretty optimistic lately. Burke gave him assets and space to work with, this team is both of them working as a team.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Leafs For Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
I'm sorry. Maybe u misunderstood my intent. All that I'm asking is why was burke fired and do you think he shouldve been fired? Are the leafs better off now with or without burke? That's all.
Short term wise, the Leafs have been better off without him. All of LACK+Grabo are gone, with adding/keeping Bozak, Clarkson, Bernier and Bolland. +Not trading for Luongo.

In the long term p.o.v, we don't know.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:45 AM
tmlms13

vCash: 50
Nonis right off the bat out of the short training camp that Burke wouldnt do, ship Conolly, Lombardi, and Komisarik down to the minors, and play the kids, ie Kadri for a full season where they didn't have to worry about getting sent down if they had 3 bad games.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:25 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

If the end, this is a damn Canadian city and we need majority of Canadian local boys and not Americans/Sweeds etc.

I also believe Burke was seriously going to pull the trigger on a deal that would send Bozak and Kadri to Vancouver for Luongo and Leafs management said "Look, enough is enough. This is not a Circus." And fired him.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:31 AM
BIitz
GRANT = SOFT

vCash: 50
Ignoring all the alleged "rumors" at the end of the day he promised us the playoffs (well he just said he didn't want to do a five year rebuild), and failed.

He made nice trades and what not, but he was far too loyal to be a GM. Being a gm isn't about trades, it's about making tough decisions. I don't want to divulge much deeper than this, and I'm sure it's going to get heated. But he never made it to the playoffs, and going into this year (last year, whatever) we didn't look good on paper, and it looked like another lottery pick.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:34 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlms13 View Post
Nonis right off the bat out of the short training camp that Burke wouldnt do, ship Conolly, Lombardi, and Komisarik down to the minors, and play the kids, ie Kadri for a full season where they didn't have to worry about getting sent down if they had 3 bad games.
Lombardi was traded to Phoenix not sent to the minors and it's been stated that the deal was in the works before Burke got fired. And Burke had traded away or demoted other players he acquired, so why wouldn't he do so with Connolly and Komisarek? Incidentally, do you think that both Burke and Nonis were lying when they said that the coach picks who makes the team?

As for Kadri, that may have had more to do with Kadri improving and a different coach.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:43 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
If the end, this is a damn Canadian city and we need majority of Canadian local boys and not Americans/Sweeds etc.

I also believe Burke was seriously going to pull the trigger on a deal that would send Bozak and Kadri to Vancouver for Luongo and Leafs management said "Look, enough is enough. This is not a Circus." And fired him.
Because Swedes like Borje Salming and Mats Sundin never contributed anything to this team? Or an American like Phil Kessel? Why don't you stop mimicking Don Cherry and learn to think for yourself?

Perhaps he was going to deal for Luongo. Perhaps he wasn't. I haven't seen conclusive proof one way or the other. Personally, I'm more inclined to believe that the new owners simply did not like him or his style.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:51 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Because Swedes like Borje Salming and Mats Sundin never contributed anything to this team? Or an American like Phil Kessel? Why don't you stop mimicking Don Cherry and learn to think for yourself?

Perhaps he was going to deal for Luongo. Perhaps he wasn't. I haven't seen conclusive proof one way or the other. Personally, I'm more inclined to believe that the new owners simply did not like him or his style.
All great players yes, your absolutely right.

Look at the past teams to win the cup and count the Candian: to anyone else ratio and you have your answer. I Mimic Cherry because Cherry is 100% spot on. You get Candians because they know what it's like to play for the heart of the leafs and want to actually be here.

I.E our newest leaf, Clarkson. So before you go bashing my "opinion" on what I think? Do some research on the teams that have won something this past decade.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:02 AM
MajorityRules*

This argument will never end. Sometime in the future of this thread, someone is going to make reference to being the highest paid GM and the Kessel trade was the worst trade in history.

Your question is going to get a lot of varied responses and will likely be closed by the mods due to circular arguments and insults. Burke threads never end well here.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

New owners. No more, no less. We have discussed this many times. Anything more is 100% speculation.

Closed

Closed Thread