HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Perreault poll.

View Poll Results: How good you see Perreault?
He's the best second line the habs could have 2 2.63%
He's a good second line 46 60.53%
He's not really good enough to be on second line, lets put Ribeiro (or other player) 25 32.89%
He's the worse second line player in the league 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 02:26 PM
8b

vCash: 500
The Perreault poll.

Is he or is he not good? Do you feel he is good enough to be on the second line of the habs? How much of you dislike or like him?

Old
09-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Medicine Twin

Mine wasn't there... A good 2nd line center on a poor team/good for a team in transition (band-aid).

Old
09-24-2003, 02:38 PM
habsfan4life

how about----- NONE OF THE ABOVE

In my opinion, Perreault is an ideal 3rd line center. When we are at home at have the ability to match him up against the opposing teams top line, he will win the face off more often than he will lose it and that is key.

I hope the Habs keep him around because I love having the best faceoff man in hockey as one of our assests.

Old
09-24-2003, 02:44 PM
8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan4life
how about----- NONE OF THE ABOVE

In my opinion, Perreault is an ideal 3rd line center. When we are at home at have the ability to match him up against the opposing teams top line, he will win the face off more often than he will lose it and that is key.

I hope the Habs keep him around because I love having the best faceoff man in hockey as one of our assests.
Good point but I disagree on the fact that he would be a 3rd line center (considering your point). The more often you win faceoffs, the more you have control of the puck: so to be logical I would rather give him more icetime. The more he will take faceoffs, the more the habs will have the puck.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Perreault and Good shouldnt be in the same sentence, unless it's faceoffs or top corner goals. Perreault was a -14 while the other top scorers were all +'s. Last year for him here I hope. He's a joke of a hockey player unless it's in the faceoff circle or the PP. In his own end he's a poor excuse for a hockey player. He doesn't tie up his man, he can't stick with his man, doesn't seem to undestand proper postioning or how to lift weights so that the other team doesn't just lift your stick when they want the puck off you.

I just can't stand Perreault, Audette, Dykhuis and Brisebois, :mad: and I can't wait till they are replaced. I just hate to watch players that don't work hard and don't seem to give a crap on the ice. BOO to them. I would even except cardboard cutouts in their place but only at half the salary.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Dripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Perreault and Good shouldnt be in the same sentence, unless it's faceoffs or top corner goals. Perreault was a -14 while the other top scorers were all +'s. Last year for him here I hope. He's a joke of a hockey player unless it's in the faceoff circle or the PP. In his own end he's a poor excuse for a hockey player. He doesn't tie up his man, he can't stick with his man, doesn't seem to undestand proper postioning or how to lift weights so that the other team doesn't just lift your stick when they want the puck off you.

I just can't stand Perreault, Audette, Dykhuis and Brisebois, :mad: and I can't wait till they are replaced. I just hate to watch players that don't work hard and don't seem to give a crap on the ice. BOO to them. I would even except cardboard cutouts in their place but only at half the salary.
I agree with everything you said
I hate when I see someone defending Perreault by saying that "Oh well, he's good at faceoffs!" ... Arrghh..
I know it's great to win faceoffs.. but that doesn't make you a valuable second line center, especially if you're slow, soft, not creative, not physical, defensive liability, inconsistant, leadershipless(?).
If only he could be just OK in PK.. but he is not, and that's sad
I Hate Him

Old
09-24-2003, 04:33 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

While I know he is brutal in several aspects of the game, and clearly doesn't deserve to be a 2nd line center with the poor effort he gives, I just can't see him centering the last two lines. The only thing he's great at doing is scoring (and winning faceoffs)... so I don't see the point of giving him grinder linemates. It's going to get even worse, IMO.

He should be given two defensively responsible guys who can contribute decently to the offense to help him out with his numerous mistakes. But no way is he going to get dropped as a 4th liner, unless he can't produce when centering the 2nd line... it just doesn't make sense to make a guy earning 2 millions a year for scoring goals play a grinder role, which he is obviously not.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:37 PM
KnuklZ

The saddest part is that he was for most stretches our best goal scorer last year and then he played poorly the second half when it became more visible that he brings very little when he is not scoring. It is very frustrating as he has some very great assets and he will amaze you with this awesome shot but then float all game as if he just couldnt care less. We cant aford to keep floaters on this team as we need everyone to pull their own weight to be successfull. Also, I am woried that some of the young players are going to take on his bad habits...

Old
09-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Dripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
While I know he is brutal in several aspects of the game, and clearly doesn't deserve to be a 2nd line center with the poor effort he gives, I just can't see him centering the last two lines. The only thing he's great at doing is scoring (and winning faceoffs)... so I don't see the point of giving him grinder linemates. It's going to get even worse, IMO.

He should be given two defensively responsible guys who can contribute decently to the offense to help him out with his numerous mistakes. But no way is he going to get dropped as a 4th liner, unless he can't produce when centering the 2nd line... it just doesn't make sense to make a guy earning 2 millions a year for scoring goals play a grinder role, which he is obviously not.

What about a 3rd line of Juneau-Perreault-Sundstrom ?
For the beginning of the season we will need Juneau as a center but when Koivu and Kilger returns..
Juneau is responsible defensively and shows offensive sparks sometimes.. (2 years ago) while Sundstrom is an OK two way player .. Playing 15-16 minutes per game, with some PP time for Perreault, I t hink it could work, IMO ... what do you guys think about it?

Old
09-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Habber

Perrault is brutal. He can take faceoffs and has a good wrister from the slot but that's it. He soft and terrible defensively. He is not good enough to be a 2nd line centre and he is definately not a 3rd line centre. I'm not saying Ribs is the answer but he's better than Perrault IMO.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:06 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Perreault helped out in his first year as a Hab. However, he's since looked lazy and uninspired. This is completely strange to me, as I would expect a hometown boy to play his balls off for his hometown team.

However, for what it's worth, his faceoff skills seem to have rubbed off on Ribeiro. He was our number two guy in faceoffs in the 2nd half of last year, and I remember a stretch where he was something like 40/60. I can't help but think YP has been of help there.

I don't find Perreault to be much of a team player. I'd much rather have a younger, more talented Ribeiro gel and grow together with his younger teammates, than see Yanic float around all three zones waiting for someone to feed him the puck.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Robert Paulson*

I think he's a pretty good 2nd liner.. awesome at faceoffs, no?

Old
09-24-2003, 06:06 PM
HABitude

Well, ... like him or not, he scored the last 2 goals in preseason.
All the hard work and skills of Ribeiro, Zednik, Bulis, Hossa (and the list goes on) gave us about zero goals. Perrault scored twice. He's soft yeah but at least he still have his scoring touch. Without him we have a chance on the Ovechkin Sweepstakes. Because Perreault will be our Mr October snyper.

For the future of the Habs, let's hope Perreault get injured and Koivu too. Best way to suck big time and get Ovechkin (is that how his name is spelled?, what a weird name!).

Old
09-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec

Finnally!!! You stand up! I was boring to try alone to explain in a second language how poor Perreault is... How much he hurts the team...

Your comments are very appreciated!! Time Habs fans wake up about Perreault!
Get in line buddy. Estimated Prophet, Johnny Verdun (JV!) and I have been on Perreault's back for a long time now. JV and Estimated Prophet haven't been around much lately though.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
I think he's a pretty good 2nd liner.. awesome at faceoffs, no?

Yes he wins faceoffs, but what good is that when the other team just takes the puck from him less then 3 seconds later?

Old
09-24-2003, 06:19 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
Mine wasn't there... A good 2nd line center on a poor team/good for a team in transition (band-aid).

Pretty well sums it up for me.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Get in line buddy. Estimated Prophet, Johnny Verdun (JV!) and I have been on Perreault's back for a long time now. JV and Estimated Prophet haven't been around much lately though.

Yes I agree. I actually liked Perreault and stuck up for himm in his first season, but I didn't listen to the leafs fans who were saying how bad he was in his own end. The reason I can't stand him is that he looks so damn lazy out there unless he has the puck in the offensive zone. Audette I even stuck up for (I try and give every Hab the blind faith act until I get tired of yelling and throwing stuff at my tv) as I thought he also looked good when he first arrived, but now he looks so damn lazy and uniterested.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Lil Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Now, as I recall, when Audette came to the Habs, he started real strong. He was seriously hurt when he dove trying to take away the middle of the ice because he does give a crap on the ice. If you thought that he was going to be fully recovered last year, well, I'd say you are unreasonable.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:59 PM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Count me in! Rah rah rah!

Shame these two (JV and EP) are AWOL, they are great posters. And Verdun really had good arguments (although unpopular) about his view of the NHL's financial future ...

Old
09-24-2003, 09:00 PM
habsfan4life

I think Perreault is an excellent asset... maybe he isn't the total package (far from it) but if every player on our team was as good as we all wish they were then, what would be the point in playing 82 games? Hockey is a team sport and it requires all five men on the ice working as well oiled machine.

Perreault has a poor +/- sure, but I think that has something to do with him playing against highly skilled forwards and he also has PK time.

There is no way of downplaying the importance of Perreault in the face-off circle... think back to the playoffs two years ago when.... the player slips my mind, but some goat lost a key faceoff in our zone and the Canes burried the puck on us to end overtime... theres a good chance that Perreault would have won that faceoff (stats don't lie).

He wins key faceoffs in both zones and gives our dmen control of the puck. He's the guy you want to see on the ice with 7 seconds left in the game when we need a goal taking the face in the offensive zone.

As well, he makes good filler when our clay forwards start falling off like pigeons at a shooting gallery.

They can't all be superstars guys, we just have to accept this.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:01 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Viking
Now, as I recall, when Audette came to the Habs, he started real strong. He was seriously hurt when he dove trying to take away the middle of the ice because he does give a crap on the ice. If you thought that he was going to be fully recovered last year, well, I'd say you are unreasonable.

It has nothing to do with injury or lack of goal scoring. I can't stand Audette more then any other Hab cause he gives S%$# for effort on the ice. Yes he had a very major injury, but does this mean he doesn't have to work hard on the ice? Why doesn't he backcheck hard? Am I the only one that pissed when I watch a player float around or not trying very hard?

Old
09-25-2003, 09:03 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I think Perreault is an excellent asset... maybe he isn't the total package (far from it) but if every player on our team was as good as we all wish they were then, what would be the point in playing 82 games? Hockey is a team sport and it requires all five men on the ice working as well oiled machine.

Perreault has a poor +/- sure, but I think that has something to do with him playing against highly skilled forwards and he also has PK time.

There is no way of downplaying the importance of Perreault in the face-off circle... think back to the playoffs two years ago when.... the player slips my mind, but some goat lost a key faceoff in our zone and the Canes burried the puck on us to end overtime... theres a good chance that Perreault would have won that faceoff (stats don't lie).

He wins key faceoffs in both zones and gives our dmen control of the puck. He's the guy you want to see on the ice with 7 seconds left in the game when we need a goal taking the face in the offensive zone.

As well, he makes good filler when our clay forwards start falling off like pigeons at a shooting gallery.

Perreault doesn't play on the PK and if he did it doesn't effect your +/-. Perreault sucks in his own end. Either he doesn't work hard or he has no muscle whatso ever, cause I watch him get taken off the puck, lose his man, or lose battles for the puck every night.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:05 AM
KnuklZ

Quote:

You cant blame Perraults bad +- stats on PK time as you won't get a -1 for being on the ice when your scored on during PK. Also, its not the second line that plays against the other teams best line, its usually our 3rd line (checking) or we match our 1st line with theirs. Very seldom does the 2nd line (at least last year) get matched up vs the other teams top line.

All that being said it seems very obvious that we cant afford to have a player on our team that lives on his faceoff and sniper skills. If we had 2 Selke trophy candidates that we could put on his line to do all the leg work for him and set him up as he is floating around the ice all game then sure lets keep him. I much rather see a player like Ribeiro on the ice that still has something to prove and his upside if far higher than Perrault who seems to be on the downside of his career.

The question is which GM would be willing to take him and give something in return...I think a desperate playoff-bound team would be tempted to overpay for him come trading deadline (2nd pick maybe?)

Old
09-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Maithz

vCash:
Perreault is a nice 2nd ceenter , strickly offensive and poor defensively

Old
09-25-2003, 11:28 AM
habsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ
You cant blame Perraults bad +- stats on PK time as you won't get a -1 for being on the ice when your scored on during PK. Also, its not the second line that plays against the other teams best line, its usually our 3rd line (checking) or we match our 1st line with theirs. Very seldom does the 2nd line (at least last year) get matched up vs the other teams top line.

All that being said it seems very obvious that we cant afford to have a player on our team that lives on his faceoff and sniper skills. If we had 2 Selke trophy candidates that we could put on his line to do all the leg work for him and set him up as he is floating around the ice all game then sure lets keep him. I much rather see a player like Ribeiro on the ice that still has something to prove and his upside if far higher than Perrault who seems to be on the downside of his career.

The question is which GM would be willing to take him and give something in return...I think a desperate playoff-bound team would be tempted to overpay for him come trading deadline (2nd pick maybe?)
If you take note of the post that I made earlier in this thread, I said that I felt Perreault was 'none of the above' (in regards to the options on the poll). I went on to say that he is an ideal 3rd line center, in my opinion.

when a player is on the ice for a penalty and the other team scores... he doesn't get a -1? Can someone please clarrify this for me becuase that is something that I've never heard before.

Closed Thread