HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs - Islanders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
  #1
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,677
vCash: 72
Leafs - Islanders

To Islanders:

D John-Michael Liles

To Leafs:

RW Kirill Petrov or C Jason Clarke

A simple prospect for player swap. Islanders gain a solid top 4 d-man at a modest 3.8 cap hit.

Leafs no longer need Liles, as Jake Gardiner and possibly Morgan Rielly are ready for full time duty.

Petrov (7.0 D) Carke (6.5 C) on HF

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:07 PM
  #2
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 500
Garrioch said this? Or you made it up?

frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:07 PM
  #3
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,677
vCash: 72
Woops, thought I hit proposal, my bad

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:22 PM
  #4
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
Might be low value for Liles but no doubt you will hear how his whole career meant nothing and he is crap because of a bad year.

BlueBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:29 PM
  #5
Macch
Registered User
 
Macch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
for jason clarke?? done no backsies

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:29 PM
  #6
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,798
vCash: 500
He's not the "top-4" dman we're looking for.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:30 PM
  #7
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Might be low value for Liles but no doubt you will hear how his whole career meant nothing and he is crap because of a bad year.
He has no value right now. He had a bad year in 2011-12. Last year he was repeatedly a healthy scratch.

Maybe once he is in Toronto he will bounce back. But no team is going to want to take on a 3 year deal just to hope he gets better.

He is in a similar situation to Ballard. He was good before going to a new team on a big contract. Ballard was bought out.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:32 PM
  #8
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
for jason clarke?? done no backsies
We've got the lowest payroll in the league, and you want Liles at 3.9M over the next 3 years? No, thank you.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:18 PM
  #9
Quares27
Registered User
 
Quares27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,513
vCash: 500
I don't see why Rielly would make it over him especially when Liles has played the off side before... people are acting like he's Komisarek or something. He didn't have a great season but he wasn't horrible either. With some of the players that Carlyle scratched (Macarthur, Gardiner, Franson) it doesn't really say much that Liles was scratched. I don't see a need to trade him unless Kadri and Franson ask for 3.5+ each which is unlikely.

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
  #10
redbull
springtime hockey!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,497
vCash: 500
I don't think Liles makes the Isles better. They lost Streit so I can understand why this move makes some sense and the valuation of a fringe prospect is fair, given the salary and term, but I wouldn't take on the money/term.

I think Hickey, Donovan provide what Liles would at far less money. I'd prefer Martinek as a depth player on a 1 year deal.

Then there's deHaan, Reinhart, Pelech, Pedan, Pulock, Mayfield, Pokka - that's seven more dmen that will be options (or considerations) before that Liles contract is up.

And you're right, Liles isn't that bad. But also not that great, especially defensively.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:48 PM
  #11
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
To Islanders:

D John-Michael Liles

To Leafs:

RW Kirill Petrov or C Jason Clarke

A simple prospect for player swap. Islanders gain a solid top 4 d-man at a modest 3.8 cap hit.

Leafs no longer need Liles, as Jake Gardiner and possibly Morgan Rielly are ready for full time duty.

Petrov (7.0 D) Carke (6.5 C) on HF
Sorry, Liles is not a top 4 dman. 5-6 ok but that cap hit is a killer.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:50 PM
  #12
morrielly
Registered User
 
morrielly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 502
vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
He has no value right now. He had a bad year in 2011-12. Last year he was repeatedly a healthy scratch.

Maybe once he is in Toronto he will bounce back. But no team is going to want to take on a 3 year deal just to hope he gets better.

He is in a similar situation to Ballard. He was good before going to a new team on a big contract. Ballard was bought out.
he had a great season in 2011-2012

even after his injury he was solid.

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about


Last edited by morrielly: 07-23-2013 at 02:57 PM.
morrielly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:53 PM
  #13
WilliamNylander
Randy is toast
 
WilliamNylander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
I don't see why Rielly would make it over him especially when Liles has played the off side before... people are acting like he's Komisarek or something. He didn't have a great season but he wasn't horrible either. With some of the players that Carlyle scratched (Macarthur, Gardiner, Franson) it doesn't really say much that Liles was scratched. I don't see a need to trade him unless Kadri and Franson ask for 3.5+ each which is unlikely.
He makes too much to play bottom pairing (he's behind phaneuf, Gunnar, jake and franson) and I'm sure management would rather play the kids. Rielly and Granberg both look ready and one, if not both, will make the team

WilliamNylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:56 PM
  #14
WilliamNylander
Randy is toast
 
WilliamNylander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Sorry, Liles is not a top 4 dman. 5-6 ok but that cap hit is a killer.
This. I'd do this deal so we could get his cap off the books and resign Kadri and Franson asap

WilliamNylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:07 PM
  #15
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrielly View Post
he had a great season in 2011-2012

even after his injury he was solid.

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about
Really? He was great? He had a career low in points (until he beat that last year).

For some players that would be ok, but Liles is paid to be an offensive defenseman. He can't match up against other teams' top lines. So if he stops scoring, he stops being worth his contract.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
  #16
Drennan57*
New Era
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
JML is a valuable player. He is just redundant on Toronto's D corp.

JML for DFD?

Drennan57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
  #17
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind getting rid of Petrov or Clark but I really have no interest in Liles on the Isles.


When Phoenix waives one of stone summers or schlemko the isles will grab one off waivers

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:38 PM
  #18
Hotlanta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Sorry, Liles is not a top 4 dman. 5-6 ok but that cap hit is a killer.
What? People give him a lot of crap but Liles is without a doubt a solid #4 D man on a team that doesn't have 4 offensive D, 1 Two-way D & 2 defensive D. He can play Top PP minutes and contribute offensively, which he did in Toronto before his concussion and the coaching change. If he was RH and 6'3" and played his exact same game Carlyle would have had him playing more minutes. Liles has not lost a step in his game, he is just forced to play with young offensive Dman which forces him to adapt his game defensively. He was even playing the PK instead of the PP. You give him a Top 4 offensive role with a stay at home defenseman and Top PP minutes and he will give you 40-50 pts again. Assuming Rielly doesn't make the squad, I can see Liles posting over 30 points this season playing second PP and bottom pairing duties.

EDIT: However, I understand that he is a risk for another team to pickup. We are better off keeping him till at least the trade deadline.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:47 PM
  #19
seafoam
Nielsen, Frans
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,740
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
He's not the "top-4" dman we're looking for.
This. /thread

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
  #20
officialmark7*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Sorry, Liles is not a top 4 dman. 5-6 ok but that cap hit is a killer.
Liles is a top 4 PMD. Leafs have Phaneuf, and Gardiner who are currently better than JML, and Franson who has a lot of potential so Liles is the odd man out. He is a great leader, and if traded will fetch a return more than most people expect.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
  #21
Drennan57*
New Era
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by officialmark7 View Post
Liles is a top 4 PMD. Leafs have Phaneuf, and Gardiner who are currently better than JML, and Franson who has a lot of potential so Liles is the odd man out. He is a great leader, and if traded will fetch a return more than most people expect.
Don't count on that. He was traded for a 2nd a couple years ago how much more do you expect to get from him?

Drennan57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:03 PM
  #22
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Really? He was great? He had a career low in points (until he beat that last year).

For some players that would be ok, but Liles is paid to be an offensive defenseman. He can't match up against other teams' top lines. So if he stops scoring, he stops being worth his contract.
He missed 16 games with injury the year he had his " career low " and took some time to get going again. Before the injury he really was playing great. Watching the games tells you a lot more then reading a stat sheet. With Rielly and Gardiner there won't be room for liles but it doesn't mean he wouldn't play well elsewhere. He's a 4 d-man and would probably play well with the islanders.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:29 PM
  #23
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,986
vCash: 855
No thanks. Too many yrs on Liles contract. No interest in helping the Leafs wiggle out of cap trouble.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:18 PM
  #24
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
No thanks. Too many yrs on Liles contract. No interest in helping the Leafs wiggle out of cap trouble.
The Isles have a slew of defense prospects staggered at different development rates where the Isles will likely integrate a rookie d-man every year for the next several seasons. Donovan and CDH are probably the likeliest promotion candidates next season. Any combination of Mayfield, Pedan, Reinhart, Pulock, and Pokka headline the prospects who are at least a season away. The competition is going to be fierce for limited spots in the next couple of years.

All of this fits the design of Snow to keep costs down with ELC's and 1st RFA contracts while upgrading from within. Slow and steady wins the race.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:44 PM
  #25
ichabod13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 2,470
vCash: 500
garth has enough defensive liabilities on his team already. there is no need for him to pay 3+ million per yer for the next 3 years for this chuckle-head.

a very polite "no thank you" should be long islands reply.

ichabod13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.