HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In The System Part IV (Preds Prospect, Minor League Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2014, 09:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
just curious what will happen with the Ads signing a goalie on their own, if nashville sends both Mazanec and Hellberg to Milwaukee. Can a player signed only to the Ads get sent to Cincinnati?
The scuttlebut is that this is Hellberg's "make or break" year. If he spends a good chunk of it in Cincinatti again this season, he's likely done in NA.

Old
07-27-2014, 10:20 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
just curious what will happen with the Ads signing a goalie on their own, if nashville sends both Mazanec and Hellberg to Milwaukee. Can a player signed only to the Ads get sent to Cincinnati?
Yes.

If the other 2 have NHL/AHL contracts, they can only be sent down to Cincinnati (ECHL) for "rehabilitation" assignments. Hellberg played 7 games in Cincinnati (2.89 GAA, 90.1%) last season, along with 21 in Milwaukee (2.82, 91.1%) and 1 in Nashville (5.00, 75.0%)

As Neck said, it is probably a make or break year for Hellberg. Maz was the #1 in Milwaukee last year with 31 games (2.44, 91.4%) plus 25 in Nashville (2.80, 90.2%).
Darling played 26 games in Milwaukee (2.00, 93.3%). I would have kept him and loaned out or released Hellberg. Darling will be playing for Rockford (CHI) this season.

Last edited by adsfan: 07-27-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old
07-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

For all of the goalies we have developed or acquired and developed, we have missed on a TON of high end goalie prospects:

Jeremy Smith: Top goalie in his draft year
Magnus Hellberg: Top goalie in his draft year
Brian Finley: Top goalie in his draft year
Chet Pickard: Top goalie in his draft year

Jan Lasak was well thought of.
Saaros was considered the top goalie, but obviously, no judgement's can be made yet. To some degree, the same can be said for Hellberg.

07-27-2014, 11:54 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

It's already Hellberg's make it or break it year? Seems like we just drafted him yesterday. Has time flown that quickly?

Old
07-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
It's already Hellberg's make it or break it year? Seems like we just drafted him yesterday. Has time flown that quickly?
2011 and he was an overager too

Old
07-28-2014, 07:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

We often talk of trading down to let Ottawa take Erik Karlsson in 2008 so we could take Chet Pickard (meanwhile missing on Jordan Eberle a few picks later), but I remember my eyes widening as it looked like Brandon Saad was actually going to fall for us...then...instead, they chose a goaltender that the NHL Network guys said, "well, that's a little off the board, but Nashville loves its big goaltenders."

Old
07-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I hated the Pickard pick. We had just taken Smith the year before. We were fine in net. It was a deep draft with loads of talent around. It was a HORRENDOUS pick at the time, and it hurt us.

I wanted Karlsson, and I realized that wasn't going to happen. Still wanted him. He had huge believers in him in the scouting community even then. Saad or Eberle would have been fantastic.

What a gaffe ....

/hindsight

Old
07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I think that Colin Wilson and Chet Pickard being life long best friends played a big part in that pick.

Old
07-28-2014, 11:28 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

At the time Nashville had a need at goal prospect depth wise. When I predicted Preds would pick a goalie at the time it was scoffed

Old
07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
At the time Nashville had a need at goal prospect depth wise. When I predicted Preds would pick a goalie at the time it was scoffed
The conventional wisdom, even at the time, was that goaltenders were--IN MOST CASES--too risky to take with high picks. The Habs were roasted for taking Carey Price when they did. Now...he worked out, but for every "can't miss" goaltending prospect that makes it...you have a situation like Jack Campbell--hailed as the next great american goaltender, and has thus far been an average-ish prospect in the AHL. It's funny that after Pickard was non-tendered, Poile basically said "we're not taking goaltenders in the top two rounds anymore, we continue to get burned." Jeremy Smith was still in the org at that point, but wasn't much longer than that.

Old
07-28-2014, 12:29 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I think that Colin Wilson and Chet Pickard being life long best friends played a big part in that pick.
if that's the case, it's a very bad thing to base a first round pick on.

Even the Devils wouldn't take Brodeur's son until the tail end of the last round.

Old
07-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Preds33

As I had figured before. Moser looks to be out.

Quote:
“It looks like, I will start the season with SC Bern. I have not given up hope that there will be a spot for me in the NHL, but at the moment the rosters are almost full and as I was told, they do not have enough confidence in me that I could start in the NHL right away.” ~Simon Moser

“To probably play almost a whole season again in the AHL, I view as a step back, which is why I will surely start in Bern. I will see what is going to happen the next one or two months, maybe an opportunity will arise, but otherwise I am sure I will make progress here in Bern as well.” ~Simon Moser

http://admiralsroundtable.com/2014/0...blings-vol-10/

Old
07-28-2014, 03:46 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Moser was an okay player, but this isn't really a loss. He's a fringe NHLer who, at best, could one day be an everyday third\fourth liner.

Old
07-28-2014, 07:34 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
For all of the goalies we have developed or acquired and developed, we have missed on a TON of high end goalie prospects:

Jeremy Smith: Top goalie in his draft year - A steady goalie
Magnus Hellberg: Top goalie in his draft year - Too early
Brian Finley: Top goalie in his draft year -Never improved in MK
Chet Pickard: Top goalie in his draft year - His brother was and is better.

Jan Lasak was well thought of. Never showed brilliance
Saaros was considered the top goalie, but obviously, no judgement's can be made yet. To some degree, the same can be said for Hellberg.
Smith and Hellberg still have futures in pro hockey.

Old
07-28-2014, 07:58 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I looked into their backgrounds.

Wilson was born in Greenwich, CN and went to BU 2007-09. He played on the USDP from 2005-09 and the US WJC in 2009 and in Milwaukee during 2009-10.

Chet was born in Moncton, NB, Canada and played for the Winnipeg Midgets in 2004-05, Tri-City in the WHL from 2005-09, then in the 2009 WJC for Canada and Milwaukee during 2009-10.

Other than both being born in 1989, drafted in 2008 and playing on different teams over the last 10 years, except Milwaukee, I can't find any overlap in their lives besides maybe playing against each other in the WJC in 2008-09. Check out Eliteprospects.com

Do you have some other info about them before they were 15 years old?

Last edited by adsfan: 07-28-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old
07-28-2014, 08:23 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I looked into their backgrounds.

Wilson was born in Greenwich, CN and went to BU 2007-09. He played on the USDP from 2005-09 and the US WJC in 2009 and in Milwaukee during 2009-10.

Chet was born in Moncton, NB, Canada and played for the Winnipeg Midgets in 2004-05, Tri-City in the WHL from 2005-09, then in the 2009 WJC for Canada and Milwaukee during 2009-10.

Other than both being born in 1989, drafted in 2008 and playing on different teams over the last 10 years, except Milwaukee, I can't find any overlap in their lives besides maybe playing against each other in the WJC in 2008-09. Check out Eliteprospects.com

Do you have some other info about them before they were 15 years old?
Aside from living in CT for a while during his dad's tenure with the Whalers and Rangers, Colin Wilson was raised and grew up in Winnipeg, where he was a frequent teammate of Pickard.

Old
07-28-2014, 08:28 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Aside from living in CT for a while during his dad's tenure with the Whalers and Rangers, Colin Wilson was raised and grew up in Winnipeg, where he was a frequent teammate of Pickard.
Thanks, Neck. As usual, you have the best info!

Old
07-29-2014, 09:11 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Brian Finley's hockey career died on May 1st, 2005.

Old
07-29-2014, 06:31 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Brian Finley's hockey career died on May 1st, 2005.
The clinching playoff game against Cleveland when he let in the chip shot from the neutral zone in OT at home! Unfortunately, I was there, right behind the goal. I thought that my eyes were playing a trick on me and the puck had landed on the outside of the twine. A 7 year old could have stopped that puck!

Old
07-30-2014, 08:25 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
The clinching playoff game against Cincinnati when he let in the chip shot from the neutral zone in OT at home! Unfortunately, I was there, right behind the goal. I thought that my eyes were playing a trick on me and the puck had landed on the outside of the twine. A 7 year old could have stopped that puck!
Fixed that - it was the Mighty Ducks of Cincinnati.

I was on the other side, thinking, "Okay, we take this to overtime, maybe we can get a lucky... WHAT?"

Old
08-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
LWOS has been covering the top prospects of every team. Today, we take a look at the Predators top young guns.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/08/...ors-prospects/

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
08-01-2014, 09:18 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Thanks, CS. I assume this was written before this years draft?

Edit: Ah...I see you listed this years picks separately.

Old
08-01-2014, 11:19 AM
RCola88

Any prediction who could be a break out prospect regardless of what league they are in? My vote is on Aberg for Milwaukee and Kamenev in Russia.

I would say Fiala but there is no way of telling where he will be this fall, if it is in the SHL I fully expect him to be PPG or close to it.

Old
08-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

I expect Åberg, Arvidsson, Fiala, Kamenev, Leipsic and Mäenalanen to improve their games and have good seasons regardless of the leagues they play in.

Beck, Budish (has to happen sooner or later), Salomäki, Vesey and Watson should continue to improve in Milwaukee.

Girard, Görtz, Kirkland, Stepan and Veilleux are my darkhorses.

It's an interesting mixture of defense first guys, offense first guys and two-way forwards. Should make for an interesting forward group in a few years.

Old
08-01-2014, 12:53 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
I expect Åberg, Arvidsson, Fiala, Kamenev, Leipsic and Mäenalanen to improve their games and have good seasons regardless of the leagues they play in.

Beck, Budish (has to happen sooner or later), Salomäki, Vesey and Watson should continue to improve in Milwaukee.

Girard, Görtz, Kirkland, Stepan and Veilleux are my darkhorses.

It's an interesting mixture of defense first guys, offense first guys and two-way forwards. Should make for an interesting forward group in a few years.
Dumb question but where is Maenalanen playing this year?

Closed Thread