HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 06:28 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Question I have - if Brown has had discussions, would he admit to it?
Would that not be considered tampering if he admitted to that. I'm under the assumption (just like the NHL) teams are not allowed to discuss players under contract with other teams regarding trade speculation.

Old
08-22-2013, 06:45 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Would that not be considered tampering if he admitted to that. I'm under the assumption (just like the NHL) teams are not allowed to discuss players under contract with other teams regarding trade speculation.
No, Fernandes asked Brown if he talked with the Ice Dogs management, not the player himself. Trade window is open so you can talk freely to the general managers of other squads about trades. He's just probably keeping quiet until there is actually something to announce.

Old
08-22-2013, 06:49 PM
OHLTG

That's all kind of the point I was making - he's not going to say anything, even if he was talking to them. He could say something like "we're keeping our options open" or "we're always trying to improve the team", but you're not going to mention specifics...usually.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:13 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Training camp schedule: http://ottershockey.com/article/otte...r-and-schedule

Camp roster: http://ottershockey.com/uploads/asse...CampRoster.pdf

No Joel Wigle, recovering from shoulder surgery. No Devin Williams, recovering from hernia surgery. Williams should be back in time for the start of the season, Wigle will not be.

Team Blue is going to dominate.

Old
08-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Plymmy11

vCash: 418
Send a message via AIM to Plymmy11
There are some interesting observations to make off of the camp roster already. I threw some lines together to see what the potential combos and positions battles could be, enjoy.

Team Red:

Lazzarino

Pelech - McDowell
Robertson - Raddysh
Fergus - Celentano

Crisp - Curtis - Betz
Maksimovich - Pettit - Row
Bomberry - Etherington - Scanlan
Dunn - Henry - St. Pierre

The top pairing of Pelech and McDowell stay together, and it will be interesting to see Riley Robertson participating in a training camp while healthy. I would expect to see Raddysh get some looks on the top line with Pelech against the other #1's. Up front, I'm guessing they are trying to get Crisp and Curtis used to working together on a 2a/2b line situation. Nick Betz has a chance to start fresh after his unfortunate health issues last year. Look for Maksimovich to be flying around, I'm also excited to see the two Central guys get a look in camp (Dunn and St. Pierre).

Team Gold:

Kumar

Abraham - Dermott
G. Allen - Murphy
Bura - Mayo

Strome - D. Fox - Harper
Wood - Dunin - Hodgson
Jones - T. Fox - Dykstra
B. Allen - - Ricci

There are five guys on defense who are not instant cuts, so this will be an interesting group to watch. Every guy on the blueline has a specific question mark to his name:

Abraham - Can he stick as an OA?
Allen - Will he build off his impressive showing in the summer?
Bura - Former GTHL top prospect trying to get a look.
Dermott - How quickly can he transition into the OHL?
Mayo - Can he keep up with the speed of the game and make it?
Murphy - Is improved footspeed enough for him to stick full time?

Up front, I expect there to be a few different looks with the team being short a forward. Hodgson might get a little bit of an experimental look there, especially since he has a little extra time to work on things with his leftover (garbage) suspension looming. Blake Jones has worked on his skating and physical game, he could be the new Johnny McGuire with a little fire in his game. The obvious viewing here in Dylan Strome and where his fit will finally be, very interesting (and smart) that he lines up with a couple veterans right away.

Team Blue

Dekoning / Dansk (will dress as backup early on multiple teams)

Felker - Donnay
Saban - Headrick
Bell - Butterfly

Burakovsky - McDavid - Brown
Kohler - Evans - Lattavo
Fellows - Marsden - Darroch
Thomas - Pucci - DiGiacinto

This lineup is all about speed, the Otters will waste no time in seeing how their new look #1 line works out. Jake Evans has some serious questions to answer this year, with some grit and speed on his wings (Lattavo/Darroch both bring some punch) he has no more time to waste. Finally healthy, Justin Felker will get a chance to showcase his puck moving ability in order to hold off Saban and company.

Projected Roster Breakdown/Competitions

Erie Otters

Dansk - CBJ
Williams

Dermott
Donnay - NYR
McDowell or Abraham - OA
Pelech - NYI
Raddysh

Brown - TOR
Burakovsky - WSH
Crisp - MTL
Curtis - OA
Evans
Fox, D. - OA
Harper
Hodgson - 3 game suspension
McDavid
Pettit
Strome
Wigle - 4-6 weeks away

Competing for 2-3 spots on defense:
Allen, G.
Felker
Mayo
Murphy
Robertson
Saban

Competing for 2-4 spots up front:
Darroch
Dunin
Fox, T.
Jones
Kohler
Lattavo
Wood

Likely cuts:
All free agent invites
Celentano
Fellows
Fergus
Headrick
Henry
Maksimovich
Pucci
Scanlan

Old
08-23-2013, 09:25 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

-Great write up plymmy. Team blue looks the best because of that top line being together. Looking forward to those scrimmages the first few days.

-Could see T. Fox and Kohler make the team for the few first games while Hodgson finishes his ******** suspension and Wigle recovers from the shoulder surgery.

-Lots of competition for these defensive spots. Still think we should add a vet. before the season starts (maybe Graham) but the defense will improve on its own regardless. Adding Dermott and the whole team hopefully adopting Knoblauch's strategy should help.

-I'd also like to note the "prospect rosters"

PROSPECT GAME ROSTERS
TEAM RED Coach: Chris Hartsburg
No. Name (status)
Goaltenders
30 Cosimo Lazzarino
Defense
2 T.J Fergus
4 Patrick Murphy
6 Owen Headrick
7 Teilen Celentano
16 Riley Robertson
Forwards
5 Cameron Etherington
8 Alexander Row
10 Sean Darroch
11 Quentin Maksimovich
14 Adam Bomberry
15 Jordan Dunin
17 Trent Fox
18 Patrick Fellows
19 Trayvon Henry
20 Nolan Dunn

TEAM BLUE Coach: Vince Laise
No. Name (status)
Goaltenders
32 Arun Kumar
Defense
3 Gregory Allen
9 Matthew Bell
10 Anton Bura
11 Khadyn Butterfly
Forwards
4 Brady Allen
5 Jack Scanlan
6 Fabrizio Ricci
7 Cristiano DiGiacinto
8 Frank Pucci
12 Sean Kohler
14 Matt Marsden
15 Blake Jones
17 Brett Dykstra
18 Jeff St. Pierre
19 Oakley Thomas

-Sean Kohler is going to run all over everyone in this game.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:00 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
-Sean Kohler is going to run all over everyone in this game.
He will be one of the hardest Otter's to cut from this squad, I think. His speed, battling and energy are outstanding.

Are u watching the scrimmages? Let me know what u think of Fellows and Fergus. 2 players to watch for joining the squad in 2014-15. Watch Fergus closely, he shows a very nice hockey IQ. A thinker.

G.Allen is the type of D-man Erie needs, problem is his foot speed needs more developing. Ive heard his skating has improved, not sure its quite there yet?

On a separate note, Great write up Plymmy

Old
08-24-2013, 08:35 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
He will be one of the hardest Otter's to cut from this squad, I think. His speed, battling and energy are outstanding.

Are u watching the scrimmages? Let me know what u think of Fellows and Fergus. 2 players to watch for joining the squad in 2014-15. Watch Fergus closely, he shows a very nice hockey IQ. A thinker.

G.Allen is the type of D-man Erie needs, problem is his foot speed needs more developing. Ive heard his skating has improved, not sure its quite there yet?

On a separate note, Great write up Plymmy
I'll be there tuesday, going to the prospect scrimmage then the team red vs team gold scrimmage. start class wednesday so won't be there again until the exhibition game against niagara on saturday. I'll do my best give a write up on how the players looked.

-about Allen, I'm not sure if you went to rookie camp in May but he was very impressive. foot speed looked much better. not sure if he will crack the squad this season but if he turns out another impressive showing like in rookie camp he will make it hard for them to cut him.

Old
08-24-2013, 10:08 AM
KnightSpit

Training Camp and News

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Training camp schedule: http://ottershockey.com/article/otte...r-and-schedule

Camp roster: http://ottershockey.com/uploads/asse...CampRoster.pdf

No Joel Wigle, recovering from shoulder surgery. No Devin Williams, recovering from hernia surgery. Williams should be back in time for the start of the season, Wigle will not be.

Team Blue is going to dominate.
Otter News thanks for the great posting and information, are you connected how do you get these things ? Will you be at the camp and be able to provide updates ?

Also I have a question, I read over the links you sent and what happend to that # 1 Great KHL Import Russian D, who you guys took last year and who was so highly sold as the second comming of Lidstrom or whatever. Hope your import pick this year does not turn out like that one. No more scouting by You Tube, gotta get on a plane and see the players on the ICE, in person up close. That is what the Knights do.
Hope you guys have a good camp, looks like based on what you posted the Forward situation is set, looks very good, might even be up there with the Knights. But Man, your D, I guess that is a big question. If you go with all those psoted, that has got to be one of the youngest D'S in the O, With what went on last year, you would think you guys would want to stack your D with 95'S and 94'S. D like goalies take time to mature.

Good luck. Still think that McDavid kid is the next Crosby or Towes down the road.

Old
08-24-2013, 10:15 AM
KnightSpit

Yeah great write up, you should be working for some sports news show. Like what you really said about the D, battle. That compeition is very healthy. Would still like to see that Murphy and Felker kid in a Knights Jersey if they do not make it, oh yeah and will take Harper in a heart beat.

Last edited by KnightSpit: 08-24-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old
08-24-2013, 11:29 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Otter News thanks for the great posting and information, are you connected how do you get these things ? Will you be at the camp and be able to provide updates ?

Also I have a question, I read over the links you sent and what happend to that # 1 Great KHL Import Russian D, who you guys took last year and who was so highly sold as the second comming of Lidstrom or whatever. Hope your import pick this year does not turn out like that one. No more scouting by You Tube, gotta get on a plane and see the players on the ICE, in person up close. That is what the Knights do.
Hope you guys have a good camp, looks like based on what you posted the Forward situation is set, looks very good, might even be up there with the Knights. But Man, your D, I guess that is a big question. If you go with all those psoted, that has got to be one of the youngest D'S in the O, With what went on last year, you would think you guys would want to stack your D with 95'S and 94'S. D like goalies take time to mature.

Good luck. Still think that McDavid kid is the next Crosby or Towes down the road.
-Kuleshov was a 1st round pick in the KHL, and he completely flopped.

-I follow quite a few sources for news on twitter, besides my own twitter (shameless plug) the best place to go for Otters news is Victor Fernandes.

-I doubt Burakovsky flops, heard a lot of great things about him from various sources, and being a 1st round pick in the NHL speaks for itself.

-As for our forward group, I truly think we have the second best forward group in the west behind the Knights. I think Saginaw is going to lose Eric Locke and that will put them back a bit.

-Camp is going to be very interesting this year. The battle for the defense spots is going to be great. I wouldn't say we have the youngest D in the league but we definitely need one or two more veterans.

-I'll be at camp on tuesday checking out the prospects scrimmage and the first full squad scrimmage.

Old
08-25-2013, 07:05 AM
HF_Rangers

The signing of Burakovsky is huge and the group of forwards are as good as any in the OHL. However, they're an Adam Pelech injury away from being just an average team. Hopefully someone can step up in camp and show they can be an OHL-caliber defenseman, but they need some veteran help on the blue line. Hopefully they will find someone after they evaluate the talent during the preseason, this team has a lot of potential.

Old
08-25-2013, 11:35 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Rangers View Post
The signing of Burakovsky is huge and the group of forwards are as good as any in the OHL. However, they're an Adam Pelech injury away from being just an average team. Hopefully someone can step up in camp and show they can be an OHL-caliber defenseman, but they need some veteran help on the blue line. Hopefully they will find someone after they evaluate the talent during the preseason, this team has a lot of potential.
I agree, they have a excellent group of forwards but the defense is a bit worrisome at this point. A team can have a lot of fire power but if you can't keep the puck out of your own end and goal you won't be winning many games. After camp and maybe a few games into the season this has to be addressed. They have the prospects and picks to make a pretty big trade.

Old
08-25-2013, 11:41 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I agree, they have a excellent group of forwards but the defense is a bit worrisome at this point. A team can have a lot of fire power but if you can't keep the puck out of your own end and goal you won't be winning many games. After camp and maybe a few games into the season this has to be addressed. They have the prospects and picks to make a pretty big trade.
Erie has a great forward corps,but I am more then a bit worried re the D,other then Pelech and Mcdowell,terribly inexperienced,will pay more dividends next season then this
coming year

Old
08-25-2013, 02:04 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Anyone at camps to comment on how that projected top line looks? they must be tearing it up

Old
08-25-2013, 02:43 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
Anyone at camps to comment on how that projected top line looks? they must be tearing it up
camp doesnt start until tuesday, team blue (the team mcdavid,burakovsky,brown are on) doesnt scrimmage until wednesday morning.

Old
08-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Spitzman

Where is Devin Williams?

Old
08-25-2013, 03:53 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitzman View Post
Where is Devin Williams?
He is recovering from off-season hernia surgery

Old
08-25-2013, 09:27 PM
cpiggy
Rookie User

Burkovski probebly wont be on the ice until thursday... And the Otters are currenty shopping Crisp for D help. And Troy Donnay is not going anywhere, our D will be Pelech, Mcdowell, Raddysh, Donnay, Dermott, and a player yet to be traded for, with Felker being the 7th man if they dont have to throw him in a trade to get it done. And I also heard the trade they are working on is taking longer than they want because it involves more than one team.

Old
08-25-2013, 10:53 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiggy View Post
Burkovski probebly wont be on the ice until thursday... And the Otters are currenty shopping Crisp for D help. And Troy Donnay is not going anywhere, our D will be Pelech, Mcdowell, Raddysh, Donnay, Dermott, and a player yet to be traded for, with Felker being the 7th man if they dont have to throw him in a trade to get it done. And I also heard the trade they are working on is taking longer than they want because it involves more than one team.
Crisp is expendable right now, stock may be a bit higher after getting drafted by Montreal. Only issue with that scenario is where it leaves Saban. I gotta believe he is making the team (unless he bombs at camp, which I doubt) and I dont think we plan on carrying eight D. We'll see what happens.

Old
08-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Styx and Stones

The new arena is incredible. Terrific set up in combination with the ball field. People of Erie should be very proud of their top notch facilities.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:17 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
The new arena is incredible. Terrific set up in combination with the ball field. People of Erie should be very proud of their top notch facilities.
Just from what I saw during last season, and how it looks outside, it does look amazing. The picture they have posted of the inside look promising as well. Going to be one of the best arenas in the league, I can't wait for the home opener.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:34 AM
HF_Rangers

The remodeled arena will be spectacular. I can't believe what it has turned into and it will be a top-notch facility in the OHL as long as management is able to maintain the building. October can't some soon enough.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:09 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Anyone going to training camp today?

Old
08-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Plymmy11

vCash: 418
Send a message via AIM to Plymmy11
I'll be at todays scrimmage, also plan to attend the scrimmages on Thursday and Friday after cuts.

Closed Thread