HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2013, 05:20 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Trade Abraham, Felker, picks to Niagara for Graham? Then deal Crisp and maybe a pick for another dman?
If Erie can get Graham I do not see the need to deal Crisp away as well. I expect Crisp's numbers to get better over his last two seasons in the league. He seems to be more motivated since being selected by Montreal. If he came ready to play every night he would easily have put up 50+ points. I think he has the potential to be around a 35 goals a season type player if not more. The question with him is if he will be committed and give his all every game.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:20 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I'm a bit surprised to see an OA forward. They still need to address the defense though. I wonder who else will be moved to fill that hole.
I agree. Isnt this a lateral move?

Quote:
Trade Abraham, Felker, picks to Niagara for Graham? Then deal Crisp and maybe a pick for another dman?
I would hesitate to trade him. He didnt show much last year, so I understand the thinking behind that. He was never healthy last year, he was injured in the summer a few months before Camp and never was right. Something could be there this year.

Old
08-17-2013, 12:27 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I agree. Isnt this a lateral move?

I would hesitate to trade him. He didnt show much last year, so I understand the thinking behind that. He was never healthy last year, he was injured in the summer a few months before Camp and never was right. Something could be there this year.
We need to address our defense, and Felker is a young guy who carries a decent bit of trade value (also helps he is from St. Catharines). Coming into this season, both Dermott and Raddysh would play over him at this point, and our defense needs a little better of veteran presence. If trading Felker to upgrade the top 4, which leaves Dermott/Raddysh/Saban/Donnay for the third pairing, I think thats a better situation for us.

Old
08-17-2013, 12:34 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
If Erie can get Graham I do not see the need to deal Crisp away as well. I expect Crisp's numbers to get better over his last two seasons in the league. He seems to be more motivated since being selected by Montreal. If he came ready to play every night he would easily have put up 50+ points. I think he has the potential to be around a 35 goals a season type player if not more. The question with him is if he will be committed and give his all every game.
Because Crisp has allegedly asked for a trade before to be close to home, and because we have ten forwards who should be in the top 9: Burakovsky, McDavid, Brown, Strome, Curtis, Fox, Petit, Harper, Hodgson, and Crisp. Could even argue that Betz or Lattavo could play on the third line. Evans and Wigle are fourth liners to me. Either Crisp or Harper should be dangled to see what sort of defensive help they would bring in.

Old
08-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Otters Fan

Everyone is in such a hurry to trade Felker. The kid was injured most all of last season and I for one would like to see more of him before trading him. Everyone also seems very high on Raddysh,i thought he did ok for being thrown into the fire last year. But he didn't impress me to the point that I would say him over Felker just because he played and Felker didn't.

I understand Crisp has allegedly asked to be traded closer to home, but I would trade Harper any day over him.
Last season was the first full season Crisp played. The previous two years he played very limited due to injuries. So lets assume the trade rumors are true ,the kid still comes to play every night. I have heard hes one of the hardest working kids on the team. His first full season he plays he has 22G 14A in 63 games. Harper had 18G 20A 67 games last season.
Add to that he's an agitator and is willing to drop the gloves to defend a teammate.(which this team needs)
Harper seemed very disinterested and not into a lot of games last season. Hes a great kid for sure so im not trying to bash him.
I think he brings back a higher return than Crisp does in a trade so that's also another reason to trade him over Crisp.

Old
08-17-2013, 08:49 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
Everyone is in such a hurry to trade Felker. The kid was injured most all of last season and I for one would like to see more of him before trading him. Everyone also seems very high on Raddysh,i thought he did ok for being thrown into the fire last year. But he didn't impress me to the point that I would say him over Felker just because he played and Felker didn't.

I understand Crisp has allegedly asked to be traded closer to home, but I would trade Harper any day over him.
Last season was the first full season Crisp played. The previous two years he played very limited due to injuries. So lets assume the trade rumors are true ,the kid still comes to play every night. I have heard hes one of the hardest working kids on the team. His first full season he plays he has 22G 14A in 63 games. Harper had 18G 20A 67 games last season.
Add to that he's an agitator and is willing to drop the gloves to defend a teammate.(which this team needs)
Harper seemed very disinterested and not into a lot of games last season. Hes a great kid for sure so im not trying to bash him.
I think he brings back a higher return than Crisp does in a trade so that's also another reason to trade him over Crisp.
Maybe I am in a hurry to trade Felker, but its because we all know we sorely need to upgrade our defense. And to get something of value we have to deal something of value back. And Felker, in my opinion, is expendable in this situation. We have two dmen from the 2012 draft on the team in Dermott and Raddysh, and possibly two more from the 2013 draft playing this year and/or next in Saban and Mayo. And if the return in this trade is Graham, I'm all for it.

As for the Harper/Crisp debate, that's a tough arguement. You could also argue that Harper, in only his second season, just had a down year. He looked great in his rookie season and was on some people's radars for the NHL draft before falling off the table. He could come back highly motivated after getting passed over and return to from. Harpers big advantage over Crisp is speed. He's a much better skater than Crisp is. I dont want to trade either guy but we have an abundance of forwards in the lineup right now and one of them should be dealt to clear out space and continue to help the defense improve.

Old
08-17-2013, 09:01 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Maybe I am in a hurry to trade Felker, but its because we all know we sorely need to upgrade our defense. And to get something of value we have to deal something of value back. And Felker, in my opinion, is expendable in this situation. We have two dmen from the 2012 draft on the team in Dermott and Raddysh, and possibly two more from the 2013 draft playing this year and/or next in Saban and Mayo. And if the return in this trade is Graham, I'm all for it.

As for the Harper/Crisp debate, that's a tough arguement. You could also argue that Harper, in only his second season, just had a down year. He looked great in his rookie season and was on some people's radars for the NHL draft before falling off the table. He could come back highly motivated after getting passed over and return to from. Harpers big advantage over Crisp is speed. He's a much better skater than Crisp is. I dont want to trade either guy but we have an abundance of forwards in the lineup right now and one of them should be dealt to clear out space and continue to help the defense improve.
The rumor about Crisp wanting a trade is more than at least a year old now. This very same thing was said before training camp last season so I question whether he will ever be moved.

As for Harper and Crisp debate I am torn as well. That is a move that I think they need to evaluate during training camp. Harper is a better skater than Crisp but speed wise Harper is slow. Is he faster than Crisp? Probably but speed is one aspect that I think brought Harper down last season. This is one of the reason he did not play well with McDavid because he could not keep up with him and play at a similar pace.

Old
08-17-2013, 09:54 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
The rumor about Crisp wanting a trade is more than at least a year old now. This very same thing was said before training camp last season so I question whether he will ever be moved.

As for Harper and Crisp debate I am torn as well. That is a move that I think they need to evaluate during training camp. Harper is a better skater than Crisp but speed wise Harper is slow. Is he faster than Crisp? Probably but speed is one aspect that I think brought Harper down last season. This is one of the reason he did not play well with McDavid because he could not keep up with him and play at a similar pace.
This is going off on a separate tangent here, but this is exactly why the first line should be burakovsky-mcdavid-brown. At first i was for putting Crisp up there for his physicality and strength, but that brown is probably the best guy to keep up with andre and connor's speed.

Old
08-17-2013, 09:59 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
This is going off on a separate tangent here, but this is exactly why the first line should be burakovsky-mcdavid-brown. At first i was for putting Crisp up there for his physicality and strength, but that brown is probably the best guy to keep up with andre and connor's speed.
I agree that line would have tremendous speed. Arguably the fastest in the entire league I would say. The only reason I like Crisp instead of Brown on line one is because of the depth Brown adds to line two.

Old
08-17-2013, 10:15 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
I agree that line would have tremendous speed. Arguably the fastest in the entire league I would say. The only reason I like Crisp instead of Brown on line one is because of the depth Brown adds to line two.
I discussed a scenario with Vic that I think would leave our team in a very good place for this season. Trade Felker, McDowell, 2nd and a 3rd to Niagara for Jesse Graham. Send Crisp and a pick to Windsor for Ebert. Lines as:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Strome-Curtis-Fox
Harper-Petit-Hodgson
Lattavo/Wigle-Evans-Betz

Pelech-Graham
Dermott-Ebert
Abraham-Raddysh
Saban,Donnay

thoughts?

Old
08-17-2013, 10:42 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I discussed a scenario with Vic that I think would leave our team in a very good place for this season. Trade Felker, McDowell, 2nd and a 3rd to Niagara for Jesse Graham. Send Crisp and a pick to Windsor for Ebert. Lines as:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Strome-Curtis-Fox
Harper-Petit-Hodgson
Lattavo/Wigle-Evans-Betz

Pelech-Graham
Dermott-Ebert
Abraham-Raddysh
Saban,Donnay

thoughts?
I do like the looks of that. Ebert however worries me though. He was such a highly touted prospect coming into this league and was ranked as high as future first round NHL pick. He for the most part has been a major disappointment but the question is can he turn his game around? He played better toward the end of last season so maybe buying low on him now would be good. It is just a risk knowing how bad he has been in the past.

With the Curtis trade I think it was made because Bassin plans to move another forward for a top 4 d-man. It makes sense if that is what he does because as of now the trade seems a bit odd. I think he will end up moving Harper or Crisp plus a few picks (which is why he got the 3rd rounder) for that d-man. Before any of this happens they need Burakovsky to sign though.

Old
08-17-2013, 10:58 AM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Strome-Curtis-Fox
Harper-Petit-Hodgson
Lattavo/Wigle-Evans-Betz

Pelech-Graham
Dermott-Ebert
Abraham-Raddysh
Saban,Donnay

thoughts?
Unless the information I have is incorrect (and Id doubt it) Strome at this point is scheduled to start as the third line centre. I don't think hell be there for long, but that's the initial plan.

Not a fan of the Curtis move because if you have him down the middle, which they plan to, then Pettit is moved back to 4th line centre. At least Curtis has flexibility, so he can play the wing if needed.

Old
08-17-2013, 11:11 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Unless the information I have is incorrect (and Id doubt it) Strome at this point is scheduled to start as the third line centre. I don't think hell be there for long, but that's the initial plan.

Not a fan of the Curtis move because if you have him down the middle, which they plan to, then Pettit is moved back to 4th line centre. At least Curtis has flexibility, so he can play the wing if needed.
Bassin stated Curtis is playing centre (or at least starting there), which is why I think Strome should play wing, because like you said, I'd like to see Petit as the third line centre. We'll see how it plays out. Honestly dont have a clue what Knoblauch is going to do with the lines besides Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown at the top.

Old
08-17-2013, 12:25 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:

I figured Strome would start at wing. Obviously he will not stay there, but as you know being a rookie 16 year old center usually is not the best place to start.

Old
08-17-2013, 12:29 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
That line has no grit. They need one guy on that line that is high end grit, a forechecker, a physical player, a player that drives hard to the net taking defenders with him, challenging defenseman for space in front of the net, screening, etc. But thats just my 2 cents.

Old
08-17-2013, 12:41 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
I figured Strome would start at wing. Obviously he will not stay there, but as you know being a rookie 16 year old center usually is not the best place to start.
He'll be fine down the middle.

Old
08-17-2013, 02:52 PM
chewerjones

Quote:

Agreed.

Old
08-17-2013, 02:54 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Kid has talent for centre, but would not be a good winger.

I don't think his camp will allow him to be moved to wing.

Old
08-17-2013, 04:47 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
That line has no grit. They need one guy on that line that is high end grit, a forechecker, a physical player, a player that drives hard to the net taking defenders with him, challenging defenseman for space in front of the net, screening, etc. But thats just my 2 cents.
Yeah I agree it does not have grit, but does it need grit? Look at the beginning of last season, Labardo-McDavid-Brown played pretty well together. Ill use an example from my favourite team, Boston. Back in the 2011/2012 season the marchand-bergeron-seguin line was excellent. That line had no grit on it. They created chances with their speed, skill, and creativity. They forchecked and forced turnovers with that speed. In my opinion sticking someone like Crisp up there is just going to slow Burakovsky-McDavid down.

Old
08-17-2013, 08:29 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Yeah I agree it does not have grit, but does it need grit? Look at the beginning of last season, Labardo-McDavid-Brown played pretty well together. Ill use an example from my favourite team, Boston. Back in the 2011/2012 season the marchand-bergeron-seguin line was excellent. That line had no grit on it. They created chances with their speed, skill, and creativity. They forchecked and forced turnovers with that speed. In my opinion sticking someone like Crisp up there is just going to slow Burakovsky-McDavid down.
Marchand is gritty .

Old
08-17-2013, 08:59 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Marchand is gritty .
Very lol.

Old
08-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Dave Hahn
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Dave Hahn
I've gotten a few PM's asking about Burakovsky, he will be signed in time for training camp assuming his visa issues get worked out appropriately. He is coming over to play for Erie.

I like the pickup of Curtis, but I think the team could have found a more impactful OA. Connor Crisp has never asked for a trade, he will also not be playing with McDavid, c'mon guys.

Look for Jake Evans to be packaged with a current rostered defenseman with a pick or two for an upgrade on the blueline. I've heard the asking price on Graham is high.

For fun...

Pay the price for Graham: Harper, Donnay, Evans for Graham and Maletta

Burakovsky - McDavid - Brown
Fox - Curtis - Crisp
Strome - Maletta - Hodgson
Wigle - Pettit - Betz - whoever

Pelech - Graham
Raddysh/Dermott - McDowell
Whoever wins the spots

Last edited by Dave Hahn: 08-17-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old
08-18-2013, 12:38 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymmy11 View Post
I've gotten a few PM's asking about Burakovsky, he will be signed in time for training camp assuming his visa issues get worked out appropriately. He is coming over to play for Erie.

I like the pickup of Curtis, but I think the team could have found a more impactful OA. Connor Crisp has never asked for a trade, he will also not be playing with McDavid, c'mon guys.

Look for Jake Evans to be packaged with a current rostered defenseman with a pick or two for an upgrade on the blueline. I've heard the asking price on Graham is high.

For fun...

Pay the price for Graham: Harper, Donnay, Evans for Graham and Maletta

Burakovsky - McDavid - Brown
Fox - Curtis - Crisp
Strome - Maletta - Hodgson
Wigle - Pettit - Betz - whoever

Pelech - Graham
Raddysh/Dermott - McDowell
Whoever wins the spots
-Thanks for the news about Burakovsky, very good news.

-I thought I heard Crisp asked for a trade, glad it isnt true. I do think he will be a good second liner, maybe reach 30 goals this season. And thank you, he should not be up there with McDavid.

-I'm assuming that trade package you proposed would contain a few picks, dont think Evans/Donnay carry a ton of value at this point.

-Doubt Strome plays wing. Like Sean mentioned above he'll probably start on the third line but I just dont see him playing wing.

-Going off your lines, I'd like to see us use Felker plus a maybe a 2nd or 3rd to pick up another top 4 dman if possible. An unlikely scenario but we would be pretty solid if that happened.

Old
08-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Dave Hahn
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Dave Hahn
Quote:
-Thanks for the news about Burakovsky, very good news.

-I thought I heard Crisp asked for a trade, glad it isnt true. I do think he will be a good second liner, maybe reach 30 goals this season. And thank you, he should not be up there with McDavid.

-I'm assuming that trade package you proposed would contain a few picks, dont think Evans/Donnay carry a ton of value at this point.

-Doubt Strome plays wing. Like Sean mentioned above he'll probably start on the third line but I just dont see him playing wing.

-Going off your lines, I'd like to see us use Felker plus a maybe a 2nd or 3rd to pick up another top 4 dman if possible. An unlikely scenario but we would be pretty solid if that happened.
There will not be a second veteran defenseman brought in before the season starts. I understand the team intends to open a few spots up for internal competition and will re-evaluate at the quarter pole.

I firmly believe Strome will start at wing and gradually be given central responsibilities as his development progresses.

Old
08-18-2013, 01:21 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymmy11 View Post
There will not be a second veteran defenseman brought in before the season starts. I understand the team intends to open a few spots up for internal competition and will re-evaluate at the quarter pole.

I firmly believe Strome will start at wing and gradually be given central responsibilities as his development progresses.
I figured, just a thought. Would like to see Dermott/Raddysh/Felker/Saban/etc. (whomever is left after a possible trade) battle it out.

Interesting to see where Strome starts. Two firm opinions in the opposite direction between you and Sean. Either way best course of action would be to start Strome on the third line, and very likely see him rise to the second by the end of the season.

Closed Thread