HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2013, 12:23 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymmy11 View Post
I've gotten a few PM's asking about Burakovsky, he will be signed in time for training camp assuming his visa issues get worked out appropriately. He is coming over to play for Erie.

I like the pickup of Curtis, but I think the team could have found a more impactful OA. Connor Crisp has never asked for a trade, he will also not be playing with McDavid, c'mon guys.

Look for Jake Evans to be packaged with a current rostered defenseman with a pick or two for an upgrade on the blueline. I've heard the asking price on Graham is high.

For fun...

Pay the price for Graham: Harper, Donnay, Evans for Graham and Maletta

Burakovsky - McDavid - Brown
Fox - Curtis - Crisp
Strome - Maletta - Hodgson
Wigle - Pettit - Betz - whoever

Pelech - Graham
Raddysh/Dermott - McDowell
Whoever wins the spots
That is great news in regards to Burakovsky. If he signs I think Erie can be a top four or five team in the conference this season. I believe Burakovsky and McDavid will be a nightmare for teams. Just look at the damage Brett MacLean did with John Tavares, 119 pts in his final year and he is yet to crack an NHL roster for an entire season and stick. I do not think 50 goals for Burakovsky is out of the question if he signs.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 08-18-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old
08-18-2013, 04:11 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymmy11 View Post
I've gotten a few PM's asking about Burakovsky, he will be signed in time for training camp assuming his visa issues get worked out appropriately. He is coming over to play for Erie.

I like the pickup of Curtis, but I think the team could have found a more impactful OA. Connor Crisp has never asked for a trade, he will also not be playing with McDavid, c'mon guys.

Look for Jake Evans to be packaged with a current rostered defenseman with a pick or two for an upgrade on the blueline. I've heard the asking price on Graham is high.

For fun...

Pay the price for Graham: Harper, Donnay, Evans for Graham and Maletta

Burakovsky - McDavid - Brown
Fox - Curtis - Crisp
Strome - Maletta - Hodgson
Wigle - Pettit - Betz - whoever

Pelech - Graham
Raddysh/Dermott - McDowell
Whoever wins the spots
Donnay will not be traded. The only defenseman to be traded before the season started will be spencer Abraham or jimmy McDowell. Based on last year McDowell stays Abraham goes but it could be a doubled edged sword because McDowell has more value and if a team want McDowell in a package to bring a big name dman to erie I don't think Bassin will hesitate to pull the trigger and stick with Abraham for depth. N my opinion the only rookie that should be an everyday guy is Dermott. Raddysh will be the odd man out if they need to get a younger player into a game. Here's two scenarios I see the d possibly looking like and give me your thoughts.

Option A:
Pelech - McDowell
Dermott - (trade)
Donnay - Raddysh
Saban

Option B:
Pelech - (trade)
Dermott - Abraham
Donnay - Raddysh
Saban

Option A would be my choice as the players Bassin offers is enough to bring in top 10 talent.

Old
08-18-2013, 07:02 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
Donnay will not be traded. The only defenseman to be traded before the season started will be spencer Abraham or jimmy McDowell. Based on last year McDowell stays Abraham goes but it could be a doubled edged sword because McDowell has more value and if a team want McDowell in a package to bring a big name dman to erie I don't think Bassin will hesitate to pull the trigger and stick with Abraham for depth. N my opinion the only rookie that should be an everyday guy is Dermott. Raddysh will be the odd man out if they need to get a younger player into a game. Here's two scenarios I see the d possibly looking like and give me your thoughts.

Option A:
Pelech - McDowell
Dermott - (trade)
Donnay - Raddysh
Saban

Option B:
Pelech - (trade)
Dermott - Abraham
Donnay - Raddysh
Saban

Option A would be my choice as the players Bassin offers is enough to bring in top 10 talent.
Option A is my choice as well, I think Abraham would be fine in the bottom pairing but I dont want him in the top 4. A top 4 of Pelech-McDowell, Dermott-Graham would be pretty good. Behind those 4 it would be an interesting battle, especially if Felker isnt dealt in that possible trade for Graham.

Old
08-18-2013, 08:01 PM
mapleleaf979

Kohler was been outstanding at U17 camp. He is a spark plug.

Camp will dictate the placement of Strome. I think Strome will be the #2 center as early as the second period in Game 1. I believe Harper and him could be dynamic together this season. If Harper can not build chemistry with Strome, I expect him to be dealt. Strome is too good to see #3 centerman minutes. Strome in my opinion is one of the most under-rated snipers and if they shift him to the wing at times, he should do well. I just think your not using his full potential in that role. Erie I think should creates pairs of high end skill together. Brown-Mcdavid is one tandem they know have chemistry. If Burakovsky can read Mcdavid well, I see Brown-Strome being the next pair tandem. With Harper in that mix too. Spread out the talent, challenge the depth of opposing teams Defensive core. U bunch Mcdavid-Burakovsky-Brown together it makes containing that talent much easier when they are grouped together.

I think when the dust settles Saban is in the last pairing. Raddysh is a little more unpolished and I think he is the 7th man to start the year.

Old
08-18-2013, 11:59 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Lets not forget alot of kids read this forum. I need to always put that in my mind, I regret some things I say at times. I can put myself in others shoes pretty easily and imagine what that would feel like. Its helped me clean up my posts. Im still not where I want to be.

Imagine Williams was your son for a second, playing in the OHL, Would u ever dare say to him, while he lives his dream and works so darn hard, blood, sweat and tears for over a decade......"what is that some kind of joke"?

This board has been for years very hard on Bassin, some of it I believe is justified, its the passion speaking, more than it is negative. Bassin has had 2 of his best drafts in back to back years, this is something the Otters have not seen in a decade. This team can win an OHL championship in the next 2 years.

Don't regret my words, the conversation was had face to face-Bassin doesn't seem to care. Dansk was a mistake 2 seasons ago and will continue to be. Who cares what he did in Russia 4 years ago!

p.s. you have no idea what your talking about. Williams would be pressed to play top level Jr.A OHL=blahblahblah////Some in the "O" (present Erie goalies included)don't belong; there are those with NO connections but have the talent yet consistently the old boys clubs screws them over, so cry me a frigin river; time some get a reality check on whey they are there(and it's not talent)

Last edited by SDRFAOBFH1: 08-19-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old
08-19-2013, 12:19 AM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Don't regret my words, the conversation was had face to face-Bassin doesn't seem to care. Dansk was a mistake 2 seasons ago and will continue to be. Who cares what he did in Russia 4 years ago!

p.s. you have no idea what your talking about. Williams would be pressed to play top level Jr.A OHL=blahblahblah////Some in the "O" (present Erie goalies included)don't belong; there are those with NO connections but have the talent yet consistently the old boys clubs screws them over, so cry me a frigin river; time some get a reality check on whey they are there(and it's not talent)
What an intelligent and well thought out post.

Old
08-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post

Wow can you say bitter
Yes your correct and everyone else in the world is wrong about Dansk. Erie and Sweden and Columbus=wrong.
Williams will be a great back-up this season and a good #1 next season no matter how much you think he has no talent
Maybe we can talk to Sherry and see if we can't get you to scout for the Otters since you know where all this hidden talent that no one else in the OHL is willing to draft since they aren't connected.

Old
08-20-2013, 12:11 AM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Kohler was been outstanding at U17 camp. He is a spark plug.

Camp will dictate the placement of Strome. I think Strome will be the #2 center as early as the second period in Game 1. I believe Harper and him could be dynamic together this season. If Harper can not build chemistry with Strome, I expect him to be dealt. Strome is too good to see #3 centerman minutes. Strome in my opinion is one of the most under-rated snipers and if they shift him to the wing at times, he should do well. I just think your not using his full potential in that role. Erie I think should creates pairs of high end skill together. Brown-Mcdavid is one tandem they know have chemistry. If Burakovsky can read Mcdavid well, I see Brown-Strome being the next pair tandem. With Harper in that mix too. Spread out the talent, challenge the depth of opposing teams Defensive core. U bunch Mcdavid-Burakovsky-Brown together it makes containing that talent much easier when they are grouped together.

I think when the dust settles Saban is in the last pairing. Raddysh is a little more unpolished and I think he is the 7th man to start the year.
I heard Kohler looked good. I'd like to see him on the team this year but it wont happen, no need to rush him anyways. A year in the OJHL would be good for his development.

But if you put Strome and Brown together, who goes on the first line with Burakovsky and McDavid? I still think Raddysh is getting the sixth spot, but wouldnt surprise me if Saban takes it either.

Old
08-20-2013, 04:34 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post

Option A:
Pelech - McDowell
Dermott - (trade)
Donnay - Raddysh
Saban

Option B:
Pelech - (trade)
Dermott - Abraham
Donnay - Raddysh
Saban

I have been giving the line up some thought over the past few days and the more I think about it the more a 94 born d-man is not what Erie needs to acquire this season (Graham). The reason being is that 2014-2015 is their contending year and a 94 is not what puts them in the best position, but rather a 95 that will be around as a 19 year old and could also be traded as an OA is a much better fit.

I have the 2013-14 roster looking similar to everyone's right now. (If Burakovsky signs)

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Fox-Curtis-Crisp
Harper-Strome-Hodgson
Wigle/Evans-Pettit-Betz

Forward that could be moved would be Wigle, Wood, Evans, Betz.

Pelech-Mcdowell
Dermott-95
Donnay-Raddysh/Felker/Saban

Erie would have to many 94's to contend if Graham is traded for. I think paying with an extra pick or two and getting an Anthony DeAngelo type player is a better move and this is why.

2014-2015 title contending team

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Harper-Strome-Crisp
Betz-Pettit-Hodgson
Lattavo-98-Kohler

Defensively looks much better as Pelech is likely gone.

95-OA traded for that season
Dermott-First round Import
Felker/Raddysh/Saban/Mayo

Williams starts in goal as Dansk is likely gone.

Erie has five or six players that could be dealt with all the extra picks they have to do this.

What does everyone think?

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 08-20-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old
08-20-2013, 05:14 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I have been giving the line up some thought over the past few days and the more I think about it the more a 94 born d-man is not what Erie needs to acquire this season (Graham). The reason being is that 2014-2015 is their contending year and a 94 is not what puts them in the best position, but rather a 95 that will be around as a 19 year old and could also be traded as an OA is a much better fit.

I have the 2013-14 roster looking similar to everyone's right now. (If Burakovsky signs)

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Fox-Curtis-Crisp
Harper-Strome-Hodgson
Wigle/Evans-Pettit-Betz

Forward that could be moved would be Wigle, Wood, Evans, Betz.

Pelech-Mcdowell
Dermott-95
Donnay-Raddysh/Felker/Saban

Erie would have to many 94's to contend if Graham is traded for. I think paying with an extra pick or two and getting an Anthony DeAngelo type player is a better move and this is why.

2014-2015 title contending team

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Harper-Strome-Crisp
Betz-Pettit-Hodgson
Lattavo-98-Kohler

Defensively looks much better as Pelech is likely gone.

95-OA traded for that season
Dermott-First round Import
Felker/Raddysh/Saban/Mayo

Williams starts in goal as Dansk is likely gone.

Erie has five or six players that could be dealt with all the extra picks they have to do this.

What does everyone think?
I like the idea of getting a 95 but that will be tough to acquire. Dont think Sarnia would give up DeAngelo as he can be there the next two years when they are probably hoping to have winning teams. If it could be done I would take it, but I dont mind trading for Graham. Why? You said it yourself, Pelech and Dansk are probably gone. This leaves Brown, Crisp, Wigle, and Donnay as the overagers. Certainly Graham would command a spot over Wigle or Donnay if they havent been moved.

-Burakovsky is going to sign.

-Bassin says Curtis is going to play centre, and I dont see Strome moving to the wing.

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Crisp-Strome-Fox
Harper-Curtis-Hodgson
Evans-Petit-Betz
Extra(s): Lattavo, Wigle, Wood

Pelech-McDowell
Dermott-Trade
Donnay/Raddysh/Felker/Saban

Could be traded: Evans, Betz, Wigle, Wood, Donnay, Felker, Abraham, maybe even Crisp or Harper

-We'll see what Bassin does, I think he's going to make a move sometime before the season starts for the PMD he is seeking. I'm wondering what he is going to give up. We have an extra 2nd we can move and moving a 3rd would not hurt either.

Old
08-20-2013, 05:33 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
I like the idea of getting a 95 but that will be tough to acquire. Dont think Sarnia would give up DeAngelo as he can be there the next two years when they are probably hoping to have winning teams. If it could be done I would take it, but I dont mind trading for Graham. Why? You said it yourself, Pelech and Dansk are probably gone. This leaves Brown, Crisp, Wigle, and Donnay as the overagers. Certainly Graham would command a spot over Wigle or Donnay if they havent been moved.

-Burakovsky is going to sign.

-Bassin says Curtis is going to play centre, and I dont see Strome moving to the wing.

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Crisp-Strome-Fox
Harper-Curtis-Hodgson
Evans-Petit-Betz
Extra(s): Lattavo, Wigle, Wood

Pelech-McDowell
Dermott-Trade
Donnay/Raddysh/Felker/Saban

Could be traded: Evans, Betz, Wigle, Wood, Donnay, Felker, Abraham, maybe even Crisp or Harper

-We'll see what Bassin does, I think he's going to make a move sometime before the season starts for the PMD he is seeking. I'm wondering what he is going to give up. We have an extra 2nd we can move and moving a 3rd would not hurt either.
DeAngelo is no doubt going to cost more but I think Sarnia would part if the price is right. They are likely to be rebuilding for the next two seasons, definitely this season. Erie has six or so that can be traded plus five second rounders in the next two drafts. For Erie to contend in 2014-2015 they are going to have to upgrade big time defensively. Obviously this is a season ahead but something that needs to be considered when adding another d-man.

With a 94 the D looks like:
94-Import
Dermott-Saban
Raddysh-Felker

A 95 looks like:
95-Veteran OA
Dermott-Import
Raddysh/Saban/Felker/Mayo

Essentially it opens up another OA spot to add a great veteran presence and depth that would not cost a boat load. For example, a player like Nathan Chiarlitti from Owen Sound last season. He was traded for with a conditional 5th, a 10th, and a 2015 2nd rounder. I do not think the defense is good enough as of right now in the first scenario to win a championship. Although a lot can change over a year.

Old
08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
DeAngelo is no doubt going to cost more but I think Sarnia would part if the price is right. They are likely to be rebuilding for the next two seasons, definitely this season. Erie has six or so that can be traded plus five second rounders in the next two drafts. For Erie to contend in 2014-2015 they are going to have to upgrade big time defensively. Obviously this is a season ahead but something that needs to be considered when adding another d-man.

With a 94 the D looks like:
94-Import
Dermott-Saban
Raddysh-Felker

A 95 looks like:
95-Veteran OA
Dermott-Import
Raddysh/Saban/Felker/Mayo

Essentially it opens up another OA spot to add a great veteran presence and depth that would not cost a boat load. For example, a player like Nathan Chiarlitti from Owen Sound last season. He was traded for with a conditional 5th, a 10th, and a 2015 2nd rounder. I do not think the defense is good enough as of right now in the first scenario to win a championship. Although a lot can change over a year.
-I agree, if DeAngelo is attainable go for it, I just dont think it's going to happen. And if we think we are going to have enough offensively we could always deal Crisp in 2014/2015 for another overager on the blueline.

-If Dermott continues to improve I think he could be one hell of a player in 2014/2015, which is also his draft year. Saban/Raddysh could both be top 4 worthy, then you have Felker if he isnt dealt, plus Mayo stepping into the top 6. You could also see Fergus come in as well.

-If we can't get DeAngelo, go for Graham for the veteran presence this season. We have plenty of young guys and picks we can deal in 2014/2015 for more help on the blue line.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:27 AM
OHLFan8771

I just read that Burakovsky is signing a 3 year deal with Washington. This makes erie good option for him. Hopefully he signs here in the next day or so.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I just read that Burakovsky is signing a 3 year deal with Washington. This makes erie good option for him. Hopefully he signs here in the next day or so.
Heard a rumour last night, Graham to Erie for Felker and 2 picks....

Old
08-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Pretty sure it's now a lock. The Caps can now ''assign him'' where they want since he was a 1st rounder.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:14 AM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pretty sure it's now a lock. The Caps can now ''assign him'' where they want since he was a 1st rounder.
That's exactly how it was planned to go down, Washington always was in the drivers seat with regards to where he plays next year. Never understood why so many jumped on this as a 'waisted pick'. He's Erie bound next year.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Ill take it!

Old
08-22-2013, 01:21 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Ive heard this as well.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:08 PM
OHLTG

http://ottershockey.com/article/bura...mits-to-otters

Old
08-22-2013, 03:05 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Victor Fernandes (@GoErieHockey)

. @ErieOtters asst. manager of hockey operations #DaveBrown says they haven't had discussions with @OHLIceDogs about D Jesse Graham #erie

Old
08-22-2013, 03:25 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Victor Fernandes (@GoErieHockey)

. @ErieOtters asst. manager of hockey operations #DaveBrown says they haven't had discussions with @OHLIceDogs about D Jesse Graham #erie
Question I have - if Brown has had discussions, would he admit to it?

Old
08-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Styx and Stones

Mr. Bassin takes a fair amount of heat on this blog. Two years in a row he has selected a highly touted import who thought they were going elsewhere and then convinced them to sign and play in Erie. Kudos.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
Mr. Bassin takes a fair amount of heat on this blog. Two years in a row he has selected a highly touted import who thought they were going elsewhere and then convinced them to sign and play in Erie. Kudos.
I agree, Bassin does deserve some praise about bringing two high profile imports in. Hopefully this helps to turn around the reputation of this club. But, to be fair, Burakovsky was basically handed to him by Washington.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:59 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Question I have - if Brown has had discussions, would he admit to it?
Unlikely, but just thought that was interesting.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:26 PM
johnnydrum

Congratulations to the Otters brass,GM, and Fans.

I dont feel as silly now after I was bombarding this thread all June/July asking everyone to be patient with Burakovsky, and my daily Caps rookie camp updates!

Will be counting down the days to tune into the Otters games from across the pond!

Closed Thread