HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Penguins Summer Sign & Trade Emporium | Part XIII | No Buyouts for You!

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
That's good to know ... thanks! With five teams over the cap right now, including the Pens, it should be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.
The Bruins will just put Savard (Sahvaad in best Boston accent) on LTIR and they will be good. Same deal with Pronger in Philly. The others will have to make some moves.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
The Bruins will just put Savard (Sahvaad in best Boston accent) on LTIR and they will be good. Same deal with Pronger in Philly. The others will have to make some moves.
Kings will get under the cap when they cut down to 23 man roster. Sharks will put Havlat on LTIR and that'll put them under the cap. If Havlat gets healthy before the playoffs, then they'd need to make some moves but they'll be good to start the season with.

Old
08-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Gwydyr
Allons-y Alonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Heres the lineup I expect to be on opening day

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/30717

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Matt D'Agostini ($0.550m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.625m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.550m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,098,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,201,667
Dustin Jeffrey in the everyday lineup? Bortuzzo over Engelland? Keep dreaming, pal

Old
08-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Kings will get under the cap when they cut down to 23 man roster. Sharks will put Havlat on LTIR and that'll put them under the cap. If Havlat gets healthy before the playoffs, then they'd need to make some moves but they'll be good to start the season with.
Yup so I guess just the Pens need to make a move

Old
08-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Beaudangles19

any good 3rd/4th liners with low salary that we could trade for Niskanen?

Old
08-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Forget pandas... this summer has officially gone Full Olinguito.

Who dares challenge earth's newest discovery? He has a look that says, "yah sure lady... I'm cute... now come over here so I can sever your eyeballs from their sockets and eat them... that I might devour your soul and convert its power."

Old
08-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Epic Neal Time

Expansion team for 2014-2015: The Seattle Olinguitos!

Old
08-17-2013, 04:53 AM
Farnham4top6
Despres #1D

vCash: 50
World's best goaliecoach might be one his way pittsburgh!
http://www.hockeysverige.se/mobile/a...st-hamna-i-nhl
Use google to translate the article.

Old
08-17-2013, 08:54 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens17fan View Post
World's best goaliecoach might be one his way pittsburgh!
http://www.hockeysverige.se/mobile/a...st-hamna-i-nhl
Use google to translate the article.
Interesting. Thanks for passing that along.

A quick recap is that Granqvist is allegedly one of three finalists for the Pens. He's still under contract to Färjestad but apparently has an out clause if offered an NHL job.

What's VF's reputation in Sweden like for sports reporting?

Old
08-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Neal Time View Post
Expansion team for 2014-2015: The Seattle Olinguitos!
Don't be shocked of Seattle or especially Portland () takes that name; lot of green, leafy tree-huggers out there... and Olinguitos love to hug trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post

A quick recap is that Granqvist is allegedly one of three finalists for the Pens. He's still under contract to Färjestad but apparently has an out clause if offered an NHL job.

That would be a welcome piece of news, regardless of Fleury. Good future move, not just fix our current problems move. Would bump my "Coaches" offseason grade up to A- with that one.

Who are some of the goalies this guy has tutored / mentored? Coming from Sweden I'll guess Marsktrom, Lehner, Fasth... some combo of those guys? Henrik's probably too old to be on the list but in any case if he's widely regarded as a top G coach... I'm on board. Change is good in situation like this.

Old
08-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
That would be a welcome piece of news, regardless of Fleury. Good future move, not just fix our current problems move. Would bump my "Coaches" offseason grade up to A- with that one.
A- when Bylsma is still calling the shots? No way.

Quote:
Who are some of the goalies this guy has tutored / mentored? Coming from Sweden I'll guess Marsktrom, Lehner, Fasth... some combo of those guys? Henrik's probably too old to be on the list but in any case if he's widely regarded as a top G coach... I'm on board. Change is good in situation like this.
According to the article nobody who has become a star overseas. The biggest name is Jonas Gustavsson. But keep in mind Granqvist has been goalie coach for Färjestad only. Still it's encouraging to know the Pens are considering someone completely fresh instead of just giving the job to Brent Johnson because "we know Brent as a great player and a human being, and are very excited to bring him back into the country club fold" bla bla bla.

Old
08-17-2013, 11:44 AM
wej20

Lets bring in this Swede to coach Flower and bring Johnny back to teach Glass how to punch.

Old
08-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Uncle Machete

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post

VF is the local newspaper in Karlstad where Färjestad plays. They're legit and so is this story.

Recently Ilya Bryzgalov sought out Granqvist for help and practiced with Erik in Karlstad for a week. Erik has also helped a couple of NA goalies like Eric Comrie, at the same place where Sid does his summer workouts (in LA I think?) so I'm guessing Sid might have something to do with this.

Really though, Granqvist is a fantastic choice. I hope he gets the job, not only because I cheer for a rival team of Färjestad

Old
08-17-2013, 05:20 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Yeah, coincidentally Bill Meltzer had just written about Granqvist recently. The article is mostly about the Flyers and Bryzgalov, but there's a lengthy section about Granqvist. Meltzer is usually a good read even for non-Flyers fans.

Quote:
I have nothing but the utmost respect for Granqvist. In fact, I have posted a couple times on Twitter over the last two years that I think NHL teams would be smart to pursue him as their goaltending coach -- or at least as a developmental coach/ consultant if he wishes to remain based in Sweden but travel to North America periodically. According to a recent article in Aftonbladet, that may actually come to fruition in the relatively near future. Granqvist has one season left on his contract with Färjestad and reportedly has drawn interest from unnamed NHL teams both currently and over the last few years.

That would be a very well-deserved honor, because Granqvist by all accounts is a top-notch goaltending coach who is equally capable of working with both developing and established goalies. He studies North American hockey just as extensively as the European game (although he exclusively spent his own playing career in Europe, primarily as Jarmo Myllys' backup with Luleå HF). His knowledge isn't just limited to goaltending, although that's the area where he stands out the most. In fact, Granqvist might even make for a good head coach somewhere at the pro level, if he were to want to go in that direction.
www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=53297

Old
08-26-2013, 08:04 AM
vikingGoalie

so we have until the end of camp to get under the cap right?

I just can't fathom having niskanen in camp at the start of it.

Old
08-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
so we have until the end of camp to get under the cap right?

I just can't fathom having niskanen in camp at the start of it.
It's idiotic. Every second he isn't traded is one step closer to them doing something stupid.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
It's idiotic. Every second he isn't traded is one step closer to them doing something stupid.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but there aren't exactly a lot of trades happening in general around the League right now. It takes two GMs to agree to a trade, after all.

Honestly, to expect a trade before the pre-season is unrealistic. Every team thinks they are ready to go with what they have right now. Until they discover that their prospects aren't ready, or they get hit with injuries, the teams out there aren't looking to make trades just yet.

Of course, this is all assuming the Pens don't get hit with a significant injury in training camp, and with recent history, I wouldn't take it for granted that it won't happen...

Old
08-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Maybe you haven't noticed, but there aren't exactly a lot of trades happening in general around the League right now. It takes two GMs to agree to a trade, after all.

Honestly, to expect a trade before the pre-season is unrealistic. Every team thinks they are ready to go with what they have right now. Until they discover that their prospects aren't ready, or they get hit with injuries, the teams out there aren't looking to make trades just yet.

Of course, this is all assuming the Pens don't get hit with a significant injury in training camp, and with recent history, I wouldn't take it for granted that it won't happen...
To be fair, there aren't many teams that NEED to make a trade like we do. We actually may be the only one that has to make a somewhat substantial move. That said, I agree with you that it's unlikely that a move is made before pre-season. It's just a weird position for Nisky to be in. He has to know he is the logical choice to be traded.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Valarukar

Does anyone know when camp is supposed to start?

Old
08-28-2013, 10:26 AM
vikingGoalie

Personally I thought that if Shero thought that Niskanen was expendable, which is obvious from the moment that scuderi was signed. That he would've moved then to trade him. Shero has shown in the past to be pretty fair with his players when he can be. just look at Michalek going back to phoenix. I'm not sure what Niskanen's true value is, but you gotta figure he's worth at least a 2nd rounder. That sorta trade shouldn't be that hard to pull off one would think.

So that leads me to the conclusion that either Shero is looking for more and there are no buyers. Or he does not think Niskanen is expendable (at least not yet).

Personally I felt Niskanen was horrible last playoffs, he did help us as a letang light in the regular season for a short span. But with the top 4 locked up, he's too much to pay for the 3rd line. Seems like a no brainer that you'd want him outta here before camp. He's gonna be like a dead man walking the whole way through unless there is a big injury to a top 4 guy and he is lights out in the preseason.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Shero has until the start of the season to get under the cap and the season doesn't start until October. He isn't in any rush. He can wait to see if another team gets banged up on D or maybe another team will have a D prospect they were counting on that underwhelms in camp and then all of the sudden those teams are going to look for a trade and he'll have his market. Patience is key.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Fluff piece on Beau's USA camp selection from the Pens' site:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...t-twt-penguins

Really the only thing to take away from that is Bylsma's back to quoting him as playing in the Top-6 again:

Quote:
“Just like some of the other young players that were invited to (orientation) camp, Beau was not here for the ride,” Bylsma said. “He might not have the experience that some of the other players have, but by December, he will have played roughly 35 games on one of our top lines (in Pittsburgh). If he’s producing in that role, he will give himself a chance. The next three months are going to be huge”
Unless of course Bylsma thinks the 3rd line is one of the top lines, which, I mean... I wouldn't put it past him.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:28 AM
mpp9

Maybe we're moving Jokinen instead of Niskanen?

More likely, Bennett will see spot duty with them. I just can't see DB giving a top 6 position to a rookie without giving a vet an even better opportunity.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Warm Cookies
Losenetsov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Fluff piece on Beau's USA camp selection from the Pens' site:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...t-twt-penguins

Really the only thing to take away from that is Bylsma's back to quoting him as playing in the Top-6 again:

Unless of course Bylsma thinks the 3rd line is one of the top lines, which, I mean... I wouldn't put it past him.
I was just coming to post that. Take everything DB says with a grain of salt, but between this and the Team USA audition, you have to think the Pens brass believe Bennett has a good chance at playing on a scoring line this season.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Well... I mean... Beau is pretty much only getting an audition for the national team because of the Pens brass. So...

Closed Thread