HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

THW COLUMN: Panthers Draft reviewed & graded

Old
07-07-2013, 02:23 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
THW COLUMN: Panthers Draft reviewed & graded

I recently published a column for thehockeywriters analyzing all the drafts of the teams in the newly formed Division C, including Florida:

http://thehockeywriters.com/grading-...ve-division-c/

I was curious what the hockey fans of South Florida thought about the analysis.

StevenToddIves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:31 PM
ShootIt

Heh, Barkov better than Huberdeau talent wise?
*Haven't watched enough of Barkov to judge

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Good analysis. Downing is my sleeper for our picks too, he's going to get a long time at college to iron out the few kinks in his defensive coverage, but most of his game screams NHL player. He was generally ranked as a top 60 pick last summer and in the last half of the season looked like that player.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
They are pretty much even. It might be a stretch though to say better, yeah, since Huby just won the Calder.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
They are pretty much even. It might be a stretch though to say better, yeah, since Huby just won the Calder.
I'll just very be happy if that's the case.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:49 PM
gudzilla

its so sad, everytime someone get labelled as a "two way"-something people assume its because their offense is bad and they were forced into playing a defensive role...

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:47 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Yes, without a doubt in my mind. And that's no slight on Huberdeau.

StevenToddIves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:09 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenToddIves View Post
Yes, without a doubt in my mind. And that's no slight on Huberdeau.
If this is true, it seems like most of the NHL has no idea who we just drafted. The more I read about him, the more he sounds like Peter Forsberg. A big, two way center with amazing skill. If he has a career anywhere near Peter's I'll be more than pleased.

Really excited to see this kid play.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:44 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
If this is true, it seems like most of the NHL has no idea who we just drafted. The more I read about him, the more he sounds like Peter Forsberg. A big, two way center with amazing skill. If he has a career anywhere near Peter's I'll be more than pleased.

Really excited to see this kid play.
if you want to compare him to a swedish player the one i've heard the most is mats sundin

i don't think that barkov have the meanstreak of forsberg

Old
07-08-2013, 09:05 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

We really should stop throwing around names like Forsberg, Sundin and Thornton. We're Panthers fans, so realistic expectations should remain low or we're bound to be disappointed.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:10 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tibbles View Post
We really should stop throwing around names like Forsberg, Sundin and Thornton. We're Panthers fans, so realistic expectations should remain low or we're bound to be disappointed.
i was talking about style-ish, not that he's going to score PPG throughout his whole career on a horrible team

Old
07-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
i was talking about style-ish, not that he's going to score PPG throughout his whole career on a horrible team
Yeah, the expectation for Barkov should be well above PPG

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:01 PM
16Skippy

A little early to judge the draft isn't it? And by little I mean a few years

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:53 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

How the hell did we get an A? More like a D to me..

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
How the hell did we get an A? More like a D to me..
Draft, not free agency.

This sentence needs to be edited so it makes sense:
Quote:
and Barkov certainly fits that bill. Playing as the youngest player in the Finnish Elite League last season, he was not boy among men who played like a man among boys.

07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Draft, not free agency.
I know..

FA would get an F..

Old
07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Draft, not free agency.

This sentence needs to be edited so it makes sense:
most men looks like boys compared to sasha

Old
07-08-2013, 08:34 PM
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!

Quote:
I know..

FA would get an F..
I would say the Panthers did good just on the Barkov and McCoshen picks alone. While I was hoping for Fucale in the 2nd, I am more than happy with McCoshen. Had he played in the CHL rather than the USHL, he would have been a first rounder.

EmersonBeatemEtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:51 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
I know..

FA would get an F..
I would have preferred other players with the first 2 picks but I didn't think it was that bad either. To me the McCoshen pick was a real head scratcher. From a logical point i don't get it. Tallon says we need to score more and goes with Barkov at second overall, and then with multiple scoring prospects still on board goes with a very safe defensive prospect.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
I would have preferred other players with the first 2 picks but I didn't think it was that bad either. To me the McCoshen pick was a real head scratcher. From a logical point i don't get it. Tallon says we need to score more and goes with Barkov at second overall, and then with multiple scoring prospects still on board goes with a very safe defensive prospect.
McCoshen was #21 on their list so it's pretty logical that they would pick him. Yeah, we need scoring, but we need defense also. We were 30th in GA last season, and while we have Kulikov and Gudbranson who are young, and a good stable of defense prospects, neither Kulikov and Gudbranson have shown that they will definitely become that elite #1 d-man, and we don't have any prospects who project to be that either. I don't see how picking a very good defense prospect with first pairing upside is a head scratcher. We picked a forward in the 1st, and a d-man in the 2nd. Makes perfect sense to me.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:04 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
McCoshen was #21 on their list so it's pretty logical that they would pick him. Yeah, we need scoring, but we need defense also. We were 30th in GA last season, and while we have Kulikov and Gudbranson who are young, and a good stable of defense prospects, neither Kulikov and Gudbranson have shown that they will definitely become that elite #1 d-man, and we don't have any prospects who project to be that either. I don't see how picking a very good defense prospect with first pairing upside is a head scratcher. We picked a forward in the 1st, and a d-man in the 2nd. Makes perfect sense to me.
Its more than a simple, we pick a forward then we pick a dman.
McCoshen doesn't have first pairing upside, he projects to be a top 4 dman. Both Gudbranson and Kulikov are far superior to him from a talent prospective. Ristolainen, Zadorav, Nurse, Mueller and Jones have first pairing upside. McCoshen is not on the level of the aforementioned names. I think he'll make the show one day as hes very safe, but why not go with a boom or bust type player with more upside? Robert Hagg, Madison Bowey? Offensively players like Erne, Zykov, Hurley, Bailey would have been more suitable. I can't see McCoshen outplaying Matheson and Petrovic for the bottom 4 spots. If he can't beat them out he be relegated to the 5th/6th pairing and eventually want out like Knight. Id rather a guy that can play up front and contribute on the scoreboard.

Last edited by IceManCat: 07-09-2013 at 02:10 AM.
IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Crossbar

D-men are hard to predict. More was expected of Ellerby with the combination of skating, size and fighting ability coming out of the WHL and he still had trouble staying in our lineup, let alone staying in our top 4.

McCoshen will be a project, but the hope is he is going over to a good program in Boston College with head coach Jerry York (who is currently the all-time winningest head coach in college hockey) with Matheson, so maybe that also went into the thought process of drafting him. Interestingly, New Jersey selected 6-2 205lbs defenseman Steven Santini 11 spots after McCoshen and he too will also be attending Boston College. Hopefully Ian will be the better pick of the two.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
most men looks like boys compared to sasha
but the sentence says he was NOT a boy among men who played like a man among boys

And this draft is not a D by any means. Definitely an A. At least on paper. No basis to give it a D for a few years at least.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:46 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
but the sentence says he was NOT a boy among men who played like a man among boys

And this draft is not a D by any means. Definitely an A. At least on paper. No basis to give it a D for a few years at least.
Maybe not a D, but not more than a C to me. Because we didn't take the best players available at some spots. I'm all for drafting for need, as long as the talent is basically the same, but to me they weren't. Still dislike the McCoshen pick a lot, but we'll see..

We took Barkov because of the desperate need of a 1C, and not because he was the BPA at #2. I still would have liked the other two guys over him. If I were the GM, and couldn't switch picks with the Avs, then I would draft Jones and trade Gudbranson for a young center.

Same with McCoshen, we took him because he was a defenseman, and not because he was the BPA. Tallon said that in an interview that they would look to take a defenseman at 31st, so it was bound to be that way even if better forwards were available.

And lol at McCoshen at 21 (on Panthers list), they must have seen something most haven't. I still think the BC connection and playing with Matheson was too much to pass on for Tallon. And that sucks if that's true..

I'm not overly excited about this draft. It could have been worse, but it certainly could have gone a lot better.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Its more than a simple, we pick a forward then we pick a dman.
McCoshen doesn't have first pairing upside, he projects to be a top 4 dman. Both Gudbranson and Kulikov are far superior to him from a talent prospective. Ristolainen, Zadorav, Nurse, Mueller and Jones have first pairing upside. McCoshen is not on the level of the aforementioned names. I think he'll make the show one day as hes very safe, but why not go with a boom or bust type player with more upside? Robert Hagg, Madison Bowey? Offensively players like Erne, Zykov, Hurley, Bailey would have been more suitable. I can't see McCoshen outplaying Matheson and Petrovic for the bottom 4 spots. If he can't beat them out he be relegated to the 5th/6th pairing and eventually want out like Knight. Id rather a guy that can play up front and contribute on the scoreboard.
Yes, McCoshen does have first pairing upside. He's likely to turn out as a 2nd pairing d-man. Obviously his odds of becoming a first pairing guy are not as good as Ristolainen, Zadorov, Nurse, Jones, etc. But with all his tools, yes that kind of upside is there.

And if we don't end up having an elite #1 d-man, then we might need all the depth we can get. No team is going to win the Cup with a weak defense.