HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tor-Car

Old
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Hockey 4 Life

vCash: 500
Tor-Car

I think a swap of ruutu and liles could work well for both teams. Each player is signed until the 2016-2017 season with liles at 3.875 and ruutu at 4.75. This trade would free up 875 k for the canes and would give them a stop gap for murphy to get some seasoning in the ahl, and ruutu would fill out the top 9 in toronto adding even more grit. Ideally the canes would need a shutdown d in a trade and ideally toronto would like to shed liles contract without money coming back but you dont always get what you want lol. What do you guys think ?

To toronto
Ruutu (4.75-2017)

Carolina
JML (3.875-2017)

Hockey 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
I think a swap of ruutu and liles could work well for both teams. Each player is signed until the 2016-2017 season with liles at 3.875 and ruutu at 4.75. This trade would free up 875 k for the canes and would give them a stop gap for murphy to get some seasoning in the ahl, and ruutu would fill out the top 9 in toronto adding some much needed grit. Ideally the canes would need a shutdown d in a trade and ideally toronto would like to shed liles contract without money coming back but you dont always get what you want lol. What do you guys think ?
its an interesting idea, I like Rutuu and would make it easier to move Kulemin for a RHD

or keep him and have a solid (high paid) 3dr line Rutuu/Bolland/Kulemin

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:53 AM
OLUSAF

As much as I like Ruutu I don't think there is any chance the leafs could fit his contract into their salary structure.

It will be interesting to see where the leafs are cap wise after all the Rfas are signed.

OLUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
I think a swap of ruutu and liles could work well for both teams. Each player is signed until the 2016-2017 season with liles at 3.875 and ruutu at 4.75. This trade would free up 875 k for the canes and would give them a stop gap for murphy to get some seasoning in the ahl, and ruutu would fill out the top 9 in toronto adding even more grit. Ideally the canes would need a shutdown d in a trade and ideally toronto would like to shed liles contract without money coming back but you dont always get what you want lol. What do you guys think ?

To toronto
Ruutu (4.75-2017)

Carolina
JML (3.875-2017)
Want nothing to do with that contract & have no need for Ruutu.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Quares27

I actually think it would be a good trade for both teams in terms of players but the Leafs don't have room to add an extra million to their cap

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:01 AM
WTFMAN99

No cap room for the leafs to do this right now, I'd do it if we could, I think liles would be good for carolina

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:54 AM
dfunk

vCash: 550
If the canes retained some salary it would work but then again they wouldn't be able to with their cap situation. Same goes for Toronto, both teams trying to shed a bit of salary. If Ruutu and Liles had more reasonable contracts it could work but as it stand i dont think it makes sense

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:55 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

cap space can be made. Would therd be a better 3rd line then Ruutu-Bolland-Kulemin?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
jeromeo87

Gleason Sekera
Pitkanen Faulk
Harrison Komisarek
Murphy
Bellemore

Where does Liles go?

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:59 AM
BonMorrison
-heart eyes emoji-

As a Leafs fan, I would do it. I am salivating at the idea of Ruutu - Bolland - Kulemin. That said, Carolina has no need for Liles plus the cap hit works unfavorably for the Leafs.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:05 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
As a Leafs fan, I would do it. I am salivating at the idea of Ruutu - Bolland - Kulemin. That said, Carolina has no need for Liles plus the cap hit works unfavorably for the Leafs.

Forgive me if I'm underwhelmed by an $11M 3rd line. No thanks. Liles' contract is low enough that we don't need to take back significant term. Ruutu is solid, but we don't have the cap flexibility to be spending $5M on another 3rd line winger.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:09 AM
BonMorrison
-heart eyes emoji-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Forgive me if I'm underwhelmed by an $11M 3rd line. No thanks. Liles' contract is low enough that we don't need to take back significant term. Ruutu is solid, but we don't have the cap flexibility to be spending $5M on another 3rd line winger.
Hence why I immediately followed my statement that you bolded with the Leafs can't handle that cap.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
I actually think it would be a good trade for both teams in terms of players but the Leafs don't have room to add an extra million to their cap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
Gleason Sekera
Pitkanen Faulk
Harrison Komisarek
Murphy
Bellemore

Where does Liles go?
With all due respect if you have to ask that question then your expecting way to much out of komi. Liles as a # 5 paired with harrison would give carolina some great depth and puck movement on the third pairing and if an injury in the top 4 occured he could move up easily and komi could be brought in at 6, all of this as well as not having to push murphy into the nhl because of an injury. I'd say thats good enough reason in itself to make the move because komi as a # 6 is workable but when you have the option of having a top 4 pmd as your 5 or 6 d man with a solid defender like harrison to match him with you do it.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Hence why I immediately followed my statement that you bolded with the Leafs can't handle that cap.

It's too late, the damage was already done by then.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
bobbyflex

Leafs are not in a position to take on an extra $900k at this point especially at the expense of a defenseman for another overpaid winger.

Liles should be dumped for picks/prospects with lesser salary coming back if possible

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:12 AM
jeromeo87

Quote:
With all due respect if you have to ask that question then your expecting way to much out of komi. Liles as a # 5 paired with harrison would give carolina some great depth and puck movement on the third pairing and if an injury in the top 4 occured he could move up easily and komi could be brought in at 6, all of this as well as not having to push murphy into the nhl because of an injury. I'd say thats good enough reason in itself to make the move because komi as a # 6 is workable but when you have the option of having a top 4 pmd as your 5 or 6 d man with a solid defender like harrison to match him with you do it.
You would probably be right, IF Liles contract wasn't for another 3 years. It's just too much to take on for someone who would probably just be rotated out regularly.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:15 AM
KapG

Not taking salary into consideration, I would certainly do this as a Leafs fan. We'd have to shed a bit of room to actually do it though IIRC.

KapG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Quares27

Quote:
You would probably be right, IF Liles contract wasn't for another 3 years. It's just too much to take on for someone who would probably just be rotated out regularly.
Pretty sure Liles isn't going to be rotated out for Jay Harrison or Mike Komisarek anytime soon...

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
The same situation would apply to ruutu on the leafs though as well, we have a plethora of exceptional defensive and gritty forwards coming up in the next couple of years but ruutu fills a hole now as does liles for the canes and no one is giving up futures or anything else of note rather just two players on similar deals who can provide more of an impact on the others team.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:33 AM
morrielly

vCash: 380
id rather give that spot to colborne or ashton or one of our other prospects. It would save cap if we just trade liles for a pick. I believe we have something like 10 million to sign kadri, franson, gunnarson, and fraser, which will be a tight fit. If we didn't sign clarkson i would be all for it however this isn't a position our multitude of thirdline prospects wont be able to fill. Not to mention the cap implications...

no thanks.

morrielly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:39 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Gleason Sekera
Pitkanen Faulk
Harrison Komisarek
Murphy
Bellemore

Where does Liles go?
Komisarek spot EASILY

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:42 AM
jeromeo87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Komisarek spot EASILY
Sure, Komisarek may not play the way Carolina is hoping he will, but if they pick up a guy to swing in and out of rotation, it's going to be someone with a better contract than Liles'.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Jax Teller

The Leafs are likely looking too move Liles for cap space. If Ruutu is added, that means another big salary on the Leafs has to go.

Who do you propose the Leafs move outside of Liles to make room for Ruutu?

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
Sure, Komisarek may not play the way Carolina is hoping he will, but if they pick up a guy to swing in and out of rotation, it's going to be someone with a better contract than Liles'.
Liles wont be rotated out like you keep saying, your d with all due respect isnt that good. Hes better then harrison and komi.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:53 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
The Leafs are likely looking too move Liles for cap space. If Ruutu is added, that means another big salary on the Leafs has to go.

Who do you propose the Leafs move outside of Liles to make room for Ruutu?
Exactly. Leafs have zero room for Ruutu. We have GOOD winger depth, why trade for Ruutu?

JvR-Kessel
Lupul-Clarkson
Ashton/D'Amigo/McClement-Kulemin

Are Leaf fans seriouslly concerned about having ONE rookie in the top 9? Ashton and D'Amigo are both NHL ready, and would be playing with a couple of great 3rd line players anyways. Or Colborne can play 4th line C and McClement grabs 3rd line winger spot.

We have high end skill, solid two-way play, and very physical guys throughout our top 9 wingers. Theres no reason the Leafs want to take Ruutus salary on to fill whats not even remotely considered a hole on the roster.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote