HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry talks about Bozak and Clarkson

Old
07-09-2013, 08:08 PM
V-Link

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V-Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
Lol @ Brad Ference mistake as well as Cherry saying we drafted Abbott.

But good read

V-Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:16 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Uhh Sberg had what 24pts in 48 games, how the heck is that PPG Kadri? Explain this to me please, so what about Biggs and a first, it's freakin Bobby Ryan man lol
Sberg's rookie season.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Hes not paid like a 1c. If someone else emerges as a 1c then bozak slides down to #2, which he is paid like.
Seems pretty simple doesn't it?

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Yes I know and Yzerman sucked, Messier was a terrible leader And Roy was only a good because that's what the media wrote. Gary Roberts also was the worst leaf ever.

I will stop there, Bobby Ryan is a star winger in any hockey league any day any night any year.
Call me crazy but Id take lupul and jvr over Ryan. Both are locked up for the next 5 years, lupul has put up over a PPG since playing on the leafs, and jvr put up more points than Ryan this season, and playoffs while playing a stronger opponent. And lord knows I'm not giving up assets like what we would've have had to for Ryan to play on our 3rd line for two years at 5.9 and then expect a raise. No sir ee bob

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I dont know, JVR, Lupul and Kessel all had career years playing with Bozak. Look it up, its fact. Even more strange than that, each of those wingers had better center's than Bozak, yet had better numbers with this plug in the middle? The other evidence I can show you, is that Bozak is the defensively responsible player on that first line. If he werent, teams would score more goals against than the top line can produce. Not to mention Bozak is good on faceoffs and is an important part of the PK. Its a joke really, people chirp and complain that Bozak doesnt score more, hence he sucks. Scoring is not, and has not been a problem for the Leafs. Bozak is the player that allows his wingers to be successful with his defensive play and smarts. Another poster who equates scoring to being a good player.
Well said man, I agree Bozak is underrated and under-appreciated, you summed it up well.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:30 PM
wulfio*

Quote:
Yes I know and Yzerman sucked, Messier was a terrible leader And Roy was only a good because that's what the media wrote. Gary Roberts also was the worst leaf ever.

I will stop there, Bobby Ryan is a star winger in any hockey league any day any night any year.
you are wound up pretty tight. i have no idea where all that came from...

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:32 PM
nidnus13

Quote:
So on the market you trade Frattin, Scrivens, Grabo +15m bonus, 2x2nds 3x4ths picks.

For

Bernier, Bolland

The fantastic deal I tell ya, a bad back and on the decline 4th line guy and 60game possible Toskala for all that. Lol jokers
Doesn't your hero Grabo have a bad tummy and is way more on the decline? but yet you want to keep that scab, go cheer for the habs please your better suited for that team I think!

nidnus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Truth is we are barely better if at all right now, we had a chance to get much better and Nonis didn't take it.
What was he going to do? Trade for weber and force Pitts & Malkin not to come to a deal? He has improved the team thus far this summer with what pieces were available to him.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Mike1

Say what you want about Cherry but he is 100 percent right about Bozak. Bad contract & bad move. The guy hasn't even had a single 20-goal year even though he plays a ton with good wingers.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
kilgore111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coatsy79 View Post
I like grapes but his anti European stuff is getting really old (the part of the interview about euro goalies)

I get it Hockey is "Canada's" game, so what football, rugby, cricket, golf, tennis etc are all Britains games, it doesn't stop other countries being occasionally better at them than "us" (ok most of the time in the case of football)

He's becoming quite the bigot
"becoming"?

kilgore111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Hyperglide

You know whose overpaid CBC? Don Cherry.

Don Cherry in his prime wouldn't even be able to even catch up to Phil Kessel and here he is ripping Bozie. Ugh...

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

I usually don't agree with Don, but totally agree with him about Bozak.

You could put McClement on the top line, top power play, 20+ mins a game and he would produce more than Bozak.

Grapes doesn't even likes Europeans, and he knows Grabo is a better player than Bozak. Bozak is a parasite, nothing more, nothing less.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coatsy79 View Post
I like grapes but his anti European stuff is getting really old (the part of the interview about euro goalies)
I know he's usually over the top on this (mostly tainted by old stereotypes/traits that haven't really held up in the past, oh, thirty years of NHL hockey), but in this case I can kind of get where he's coming from, it's supposed to be a developmental league and with the limited number of keeper slots Canadian goaltenders apparently aren't getting the opportunities to develop. It's not like a forward or D slot where a team is trading a minority of the positions for import players, it's on goaltending.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:12 PM
The Big D

Quote:
When was the last time Bozak, Clarkson, Sberg or anyone else considered as a comparison hit 71pts in a season, actually name all the leafs on this roster that hit 70pts.

I rest my case.
When did we need another soft fast winger? We needed grit, and defensive acumen. Bobby Ryan despite his size is as soft as butter. Not to mention the cost to acquire him would of massacred the teams depth.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:16 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
By the time the season starts and Bozak starts scoring some goals and helping us win games , you'd all be hopping back on his bandwagon in a instant

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:25 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
When did we need another soft fast winger? We needed grit, and defensive acumen. Bobby Ryan despite his size is as soft as butter. Not to mention the cost to acquire him would of massacred the teams depth.
Like Clarkson and Bozak did the teams wallet? We can hardly afford the rfa's let alone a upgrade to a league weak C, and below playoff quality D. We are in a position where we have to trade big for any upgrade. Muskoka 5 2.0 is starting to take place and it started wit Clarkson NTC and Bozak umoveable contract, Kessel NTC now in effect and the disease will spread.

Headed right back to where we were, fringe team with some bad contracts mired with NTC's and My buddy is sticking around leaf nations.

Get me a cigar, tell me we are going to go far.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:43 PM
kilgore111

I disagree so much with Cherry's views on life, the universe and everything , but he does know hockey. I have to agree with his views here, sorry but Bozak is a decent player who has some offensive skills but his ceiling IMO has been reached and he is an OK 2nd line centre or a very good third. Kadri has more offensive upside.

Sorry, but my opinion is Nonis is going to keep the tradition of Leaf GM's alive, scrambling to have an average team every year (not the worst, not the best) so they make the playoffs and so his head is not served up on a platter. So again, welcome to perpetual mediocrity while teams that have sucked over the years start to put together some elite players.

And if you don't have faith in your draft picks, especially first and second rounders, hire better scouts, don't trade the picks. I guess I don't see the Cup coming to Toronto any time soon, playoffs yes but not a given, Cup, no. Great if I'm wrong

Old
07-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
At the end of the day if Clarkson does not pan out, Bolland a rental does not perform and we are set back 2 years in the development of the team.

The safer bet was trying to land a Weiss or Ryan, improve the D and get someone like Emery. Low risk high reward less damning to our future potentially.

We made knee jerk moves. They are not well thought out but Carlyle wanted it so.
These comments are hilarious and show who is ignorant on this board.

I love when people say, why didn't we match Ottawa's offer?! When GM's make a trade, they look at certain pieces on the other teams. Anaheim's GM looked at Silverberg as someone to target.

Just like how Lombardi in LA loved Frattin, no other team could match because of this.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Totti

Quote:
At the end of the day if Clarkson does not pan out, Bolland a rental does not perform and we are set back 2 years in the development of the team.

The safer bet was trying to land a Weiss or Ryan, improve the D and get someone like Emery. Low risk high reward less damning to our future potentially.

We made knee jerk moves. They are not well thought out but Carlyle wanted it so.
Great point. It's just like the old days except with a salary cap.

I honestly would have preferred it if, after the Bolland trade, they would have did nothing else. No buyouts, nothing. Give Komi a shot, put Grabo on wing, re-sign MacA for 2 years on a low hit. Done.

This lineup would have as much of a chance as the current one and at least if it failed, the Leafs would have 2 comp. buyouts left, Komi off the books and much more cap space.

Totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Totti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore111 View Post
I disagree so much with Cherry's views on life, the universe and everything , but he does know hockey. I have to agree with his views here, sorry but Bozak is a decent player who has some offensive skills but his ceiling IMO has been reached and he is an OK 2nd line centre or a very good third. Kadri has more offensive upside.

Sorry, but my opinion is Nonis is going to keep the tradition of Leaf GM's alive, scrambling to have an average team every year (not the worst, not the best) so they make the playoffs and so his head is not served up on a platter. So again, welcome to perpetual mediocrity while teams that have sucked over the years start to put together some elite players.

And if you don't have faith in your draft picks, especially first and second rounders, hire better scouts, don't trade the picks. I guess I don't see the Cup coming to Toronto any time soon, playoffs yes but not a given, Cup, no. Great if I'm wrong
Yeah, Cherry is great when he sticks to hockey talk but once he gets into politics he should just shut up.

Totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:24 AM
William Nylander*

Quote:

How does two 2'nds and a couple of 4'ths set the team back 2 years?

Haha yes Weiss a safe option- a declining 30 year old who played 17 games last season with 4 points.

We don't have a prospect like S'berg in the system... unless you wanted to trade Gardiner or Rielly for 2 years of yet another winger, who's already expressed his interest in playing in Philly?

William Nylander* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Renegade

Absolute idiotic comments by Cherry. Maybe if you watched the game instead of drawing conclusions from stats you'd notice Bozie is much better than you give him credit for.

The Leafs have vastly improved with Bolland, Clarkey, and Bernie. Also adding Gauthier in the pipeline helps a lot.

Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:30 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Am I really the only one who sees that for two seasons in a row he's been on pace for 20 goals and 50 points....and he's only played 3 full seasons.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:41 AM
colchar

Quote:
Truth is we are barely better if at all right now, we had a chance to get much better and Nonis didn't take it.
And what chance was that?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:48 AM
kilgore111

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
Am I really the only one who sees that for two seasons in a row he's been on pace for 20 goals and 50 points....and he's only played 3 full seasons.
Sorry I am missing your point? Are you talking about Bozak? Are you saying he is on pace to be a first line centre because he has approached 20 goals in a season?