HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Goalie Masks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2003, 10:02 PM
  #1
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
Goalie Masks

Now, I suppose I'm about the only one who finds the whole idea of personalized goalie mask art to be hilariously bad taste? What's with all this air-brushed crap? It's like wearing on your face the side panel of a 1975 Dodge Tradesman converted Boogie Van complete with a teardrop window insert and shag carpeting as interior padding. Rock on Dood, you're paying homage to yer fave metal band on yer face! Hilarious!

Okay, you need to wear face protection. Understood. Unpeel a team sticker and slap it on if you want to, but why the need for some graphical personal statement? Do skaters on the team need personally painted helmets? Are they any less identifiable by having generic headgear? No. Neither do other helmeted athletes in other sports.

Goalies mask art is plain dumb. Play the game. Don't make a fashion statement.

Bicycle Repairman is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 10:13 PM
  #2
lux_interior
Registered User
 
lux_interior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 8,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Now, I suppose I'm about the only one who finds the whole idea of personalized goalie mask art to be hilariously bad taste? What's with all this air-brushed crap? It's like wearing on your face the side panel of a 1975 Dodge Tradesman converted Boogie Van complete with a teardrop window insert and shag carpeting as interior padding. Rock on Dood, you're paying homage to yer fave metal band on yer face! Hilarious!

Okay, you need to wear face protection. Understood. Unpeel a team sticker and slap it on if you want to, but why the need for some graphical personal statement? Do skaters on the team need personally painted helmets? Are they any less identifiable by having generic headgear? No. Neither do other helmeted athletes in other sports.

Goalies mask art is plain dumb. Play the game. Don't make a fashion statement.
As always, a very unique point of view.

lux_interior is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 11:00 PM
  #3
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,494
vCash: 500
No, you are not alone. (I thought I was.) Though harmless, I find the designs generally silly. All a matter of taste, I guess. But at $1,500 a pop, guess it's become kind of a cottage industry, alongside the van painters you mention and guys who carve huge animal statues out of wood. :p

I've read that the roots of "artistic" license with goalie masks traces back to the mid-70 and two players specifically:

Gilles Meloche, when he was with the Cleveland Barons (!)

http://users.aol.com/maskman30/baron.jpg

Gilles Gratton, New York Rangers

http://users.aol.com/maskman30/lion.jpg

Gratton played in the WHA prior to joining NYR for a brief spell. A flake, his major claim to fame is that he was known for periodically taking the ice during practice wearing nothing but his mask. Yes, absolutely nothing.

Trottier is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 11:53 PM
  #4
SopelFan*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Richard Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Who cares?

Watch the game. Don't worry about fashion.

SopelFan* is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 11:54 PM
  #5
SopelFan*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Richard Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
No, you are not alone. (I thought I was.) Though harmless, I find the designs generally silly. All a matter of taste, I guess. But at $1,500 a pop, guess it's become kind of a cottage industry, alongside the van painters you mention and guys who carve huge animal statues out of wood. :p

I've read that the roots of "artistic" license with goalie masks traces back to the mid-70 and two players specifically:

Gilles Meloche, when he was with the Cleveland Barons (!)

http://users.aol.com/maskman30/baron.jpg

Gilles Gratton, New York Rangers

http://users.aol.com/maskman30/lion.jpg

Gratton played in the WHA prior to joining NYR for a brief spell. A flake, his major claim to fame is that he was known for periodically taking the ice during practice wearing nothing but his mask. Yes, absolutely nothing.
The old masks are freaky looking. Reminds me of a serial killer.

SopelFan* is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 01:12 AM
  #6
SwedenRulez
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I don't care about the masks, but it is useful to recognize a goalie from the others.

 
Old
09-27-2003, 01:26 AM
  #7
beeker16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 981
vCash: 500
some are just plain friggin' cool though from an artistic point.

beeker16 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 01:28 AM
  #8
DutchLeafsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,905
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
One thing to keep in mind is that while it is possible to recognize a player on the ice, this gets a whole lot harder with the full helmet of the goalie. Hence, the customization of the mask gives the goalie a chance to make himself recognizable...

DutchLeafsfan is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 05:06 AM
  #9
[ GSGS ]
Registered User
 
[ GSGS ]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Rimouski, Quebec, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
They should wear brown pads too, so every goalies would be the same

Goalie masks are pretty interesting, I like watching how much details they have put in those masks. In fact goalies are very proud of their masks and it's a way for them to show some diversity.

I always thought that it was better to see Florida's Panther on John Vanbiesbrouk's mask instead of a plain white helmet with cheap stickers on the sides.

[ GSGS ] is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 08:06 AM
  #10
Wingboy2999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I personally think that the goalie masks are really cool. Sure, there isn't a need for them but they still look cool.

Wingboy2999 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 08:57 AM
  #11
Aerolanche
Registered User
 
Aerolanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Either you are in a really bad mood or you just don't like goalies in general .

Goalie masks are hardly part of the game, I don't know why you are so concerned about them. Some of the goalies don't even wear goalie masks.

The only part of the game that mask painting/airbrushing is involved with is entertainment. All they are really good for is selling copys of masks to little kids or other goalies, thats all.

Aerolanche is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 08:59 AM
  #12
SopelFan*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Richard Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*


Now that's a goalie mask... look at those 2 little Canucks stickers on it. Amazing.

SopelFan* is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 10:57 AM
  #13
Bud The Spud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the dark side
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,273
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Some goalie masks are cool, especially Patrick Lalime's.

Bud The Spud* is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 11:36 AM
  #14
Wingboy2999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan


Now that's a goalie mask... look at those 2 little Canucks stickers on it. Amazing.
Where? lol

Wingboy2999 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 11:58 AM
  #15
SopelFan*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Richard Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Where? lol
Exactly. They are the an inch by 2 inches or something. I love Cloutier's helmet.

SopelFan* is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 12:02 PM
  #16
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,339
vCash: 422
I love classic helmets(ala Cloutier or Irbe) but if you're going to have the typical helmet...you need some design on it.

It's self expression, plain and simple. It's no different than using an avatar here.

I will say though that I tend to find masks that have nothing to do with your team kinda stupid.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 12:10 PM
  #17
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
I think Hasek's helmet was pretty cool. It was the old style (a helmet not a mask) but it was made like a mask (the materials and construction). It was red and had a huge Red Wings logo on each side.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 12:20 PM
  #18
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
I think Hasek's helmet was pretty cool. It was the old style (a helmet not a mask) but it was made like a mask (the materials and construction). It was red and had a huge Red Wings logo on each side.
No one other than Hasek himself thought that was cool...

CCF is online now  
Old
09-27-2003, 12:46 PM
  #19
HeHateMeFrisbee
Registered User
 
HeHateMeFrisbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: England
Posts: 2,865
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
No one other than Hasek himself thought that was cool...
I dont think he thought that was cool either....

HeHateMeFrisbee is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 01:00 PM
  #20
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
I love goalie masks, some of them are extremely cool.

__________________
Welcome to Leafs Nation, leave your common sense at the door.
Rand is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 03:30 PM
  #21
SopelFan*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Richard Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*


Hedberg's new one. I kinda wish it was still the short, fat style.

SopelFan* is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 05:14 PM
  #22
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 10,817
vCash: 500
Mask-painting is what helps put hockey on a level of coolness above other sports. Baseball catchers are starting to paint their masks, right?

tom_servo is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 06:25 PM
  #23
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,339
vCash: 422
WAIT...I thought Hedberg said the moose is dead...then why is it the same exact mask he had in Pittsburgh but with a different logo and colors(obviously)?

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 06:34 PM
  #24
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Baseball catchers are starting to paint their masks, right?
No... at this point, all they are allowed is a team logo. But, one catcher is getting away with having something unique because it's somewhat team related.. wish I could remember the specifics.. I want to say it might be the 'Stros catcher.

degroat* is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 03:48 AM
  #25
Ajo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Borlänge, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Its pretty cool with masks that doesn't have the team colors, thereby making it stick out.

Hedberg's first mask when he was called up for 9 games or something 2 seasons ago realy sticked out... I like that.

Ajo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.