HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ratner chosen to redevelop Nassau Coliseum site

Old
07-10-2013, 03:10 PM
MJF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Long Island was created by a glacier, so that's appropriate. All the junk that the glacier pushed was left in a straight line when the glacier receded, kind of like dirt left by a broom. Most of that junk is now LI, and the rest of the junk holds various political offices on LI.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:17 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Corruption takes a long time. Making sure everybody who needs money sent to an offshore account or a political action committee along with placing relatives in "consulting" jobs takes time, especially when nobody wants to get caught.
It takes forever to develop prime pieces of real estate in Nassau County. Roosevelt Raceway closed and it took 5 years to turn it into the shopping center it is now. The Cerro Wire factory is still waiting for a shovel in the ground.

New York politics at its finest. I need a shower after every trip to the voting booth.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Long Island was created by a glacier, so that's appropriate. All the junk that the glacier pushed was left in a straight line when the glacier receded, kind of like dirt left by a broom. Most of that junk is now LI, and the rest of the junk holds various political offices on LI.
Damn

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:34 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
It takes forever to develop prime pieces of real estate in Nassau County. Roosevelt Raceway closed and it took 5 years to turn it into the shopping center it is now. The Cerro Wire factory is still waiting for a shovel in the ground.

New York politics at its finest. I need a shower after every trip to the voting booth.
Without turning this into a political thread I would suggest that a trip to the voting booth is only treating the symptoms and not helping the disease which exists on the local state and federal level.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
StrongIslanders90

im so disgusted by this whole thing it makes me sick...I still don't understand how people let Pig Murray get away will Turning down the Light house project.....PRIVATLEY funded by wang....Its an atrocity .....

Im esstactic that the Isles are staying in NY and not going elsewhere but Its very sad that they are leaving the Island.....This could have been worked out....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Renbarg

I'd bet a 100 bucks that a shovel doesn't hit the ground for at least a decade.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
im so disgusted by this whole thing it makes me sick...I still don't understand how people let Pig Murray get away will Turning down the Light house project.....PRIVATLEY funded by wang....Its an atrocity .....

Im esstactic that the Isles are staying in NY and not going elsewhere but Its very sad that they are leaving the Island.....This could have been worked out....
If Wang wanted to build a giant stripclub the size of the Rose Bowl and was gonna pay for it himself, with only grotesquely obese men and women dancers, with the outside covered in just ghastly neon decor and a streaming light bar sign flashing on and off all night, "Wang's World," The fact that he's paying for it himself should let it pass, amirite?

Murray is at fault....she could have explained more fervently the scope of the project could not pass from the get-go....and Nassau could have given FINE TUNED instruction on the size f the bidding qualifications IF THEY ASKED MURRAY IN THE ****ING BEGINNING WHAT WOULD PASS.....and Wang could have ceded more than just the giant Wang {the tower} turning into two little Wang's {two tall structures smaller than the one skyscraper but with more square footage than the original}, could have had plans ready and not left empty demands on clarification when asked to submit duly asked info.....

That leaves ALL parties at fault, so let's not canonize Wang.

Funny how a remodel job is so sought after by two parties scavenging on the corpse after Wang leaves, because Wang couldn't make money off a remodel.

But several better businessmen could?

Saint Chuckles should go tell those guys they're making a mistake. BIG one!

I hope, and I've said this, Wang can fetch a premium after the Brooklyn move and Ratner buys the team and moves them back after we look like idiots {for moving} in the horseshoe for a season or two. You could explain why we did it if we move back in a year or two.....try explaining why no one is sitting where the Isles shoot twice to your kids. Hey, it's VERY nice for basketball, though. Poor Wang. I feel bad for the twit.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:24 PM
OlTimeHockey

Oh, BTW, my attitude is one of hoping it works. The team needs to make money in Barclays in order to remain competitive and we have a solid core growing up and it's gonna be nice if we can KEEP THEM.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:57 AM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I'd bet a 100 bucks that a shovel doesn't hit the ground for at least a decade.
by the time the new coliseum is built and finished, the islanders lease in barclays will be up

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Metnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
try explaining why no one is sitting where the Isles shoot twice to your kids. Hey, it's VERY nice for basketball, though. Poor Wang. I feel bad for the twit.
Why would the open end be the end where we shoot twice?

Metnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:11 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metnut View Post
Well, it appears the open end is on the "left" of the arena. Which is the same side the Isles shoot 2x at in the Coliseum. Obviously, it doesn't have to be that way.

I raise another question, why should a professional sports franchise have to play in an arena with an open end?

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:14 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Well, it appears the open end is on the "left" of the arena. Which is the same side the Isles shoot 2x at in the Coliseum. Obviously, it doesn't have to be that way.

I raise another question, why should a professional sports franchise have to play in an arena with an open end?
because their home county betrayed them

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
scott99

You would think the political big wigs would be pulling for Ratner, especially since he wants the Islanders to play at the New Coliseum a couple times a year.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post

Another reason is likely because no one was willing to build a second arena with public funds in NYC Metro Area.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
You would think the political big wigs would be pulling for Ratner, especially since he wants the Islanders to play at the New Coliseum a couple times a year.
And that revenue is something.....guaranteed sell outs the way the team is going.

Now add the potential for bringing them back is MINUTE with Ratner.....but ZERO with Dolan.

Add up the revenue missed with zero Isles games for taxpayers and compare it to the revenue locally and in arena for taxing if Ratner wins.

They are stupid, the politicians, but not that stupid. A politician always smells money.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
SouthShore91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
And that revenue is something.....guaranteed sell outs the way the team is going.

Now add the potential for bringing them back is MINUTE with Ratner.....but ZERO with Dolan.

Add up the revenue missed with zero Isles games for taxpayers and compare it to the revenue locally and in arena for taxing if Ratner wins.

They are stupid, the politicians, but not that stupid. A politician always smells money.
Glad we have the same feeling on Ratner with the minute thing. i just want to believe there is a chance.

SouthShore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metnut View Post
This and I like that this is somehow shameful. Like seriously, how am I going to explain to my kid? Cmon.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
This and I like that this is somehow shameful. Like seriously, how am I going to explain to my kid? Cmon.

"Kiddo, when cousins get too close, they do bad things and make politicians."

Old
07-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Schwartzee

Cablevision is soon to be bought out. Dolan has even more money on its way thanks to Charter or Time Warner.

Schwartzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:19 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzee View Post
Cablevision is soon to be bought out. Dolan has even more money on its way thanks to Charter or Time Warner.
I'm hearing the same from contacts I know in management in Cablevision. This sucks as a cablevision customer, Time Warner and Charter both suck.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Ziggy16

theres been rumors for ages of cablevision being sold.. also its a bit of odd timing since cablevision is upping their internet speeds on monday for all users, when the buyers dont even offer that speed in their existing territories, or even worse internet deals ( capping speed, bandwidth )

and remember at the end of the day dolan still owns the MSG networks thats all that matters, not cablevision directly

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Ziggy16

Syosset developer Ed Blumenfeld, who missed becoming a finalist to overhaul the Nassau Coliseum, has joined with developer Bruce Ratner to compete with the Madison Square Garden Co. for the multimillion-dollar project.

Ratner's $229 million proposal would renovate the Coliseum and provide for 13,000 seats, with the ability to go down to 4,000 as needed. The plan calls for an outdoor amphitheater that can be converted to an ice-skating rink and a separate 2,000-seat indoor theater, restaurants, a bowling alley or movie theater and retail.

Ratner, who will be bringing the Islanders from the Coliseum to his Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2015, wants to bring minor league hockey, lacrosse and Arena Football League teams to the Coliseum. The Islanders would return to the Coliseum to play six regular season games a year..

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...haul-1.5713414

Old
07-17-2013, 09:37 PM
RichOnTheLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
Syosset developer Ed Blumenfeld, who missed becoming a finalist to overhaul the Nassau Coliseum, has joined with developer Bruce Ratner to compete with the Madison Square Garden Co. for the multimillion-dollar project.

Ratner's $229 million proposal would renovate the Coliseum and provide for 13,000 seats, with the ability to go down to 4,000 as needed. The plan calls for an outdoor amphitheater that can be converted to an ice-skating rink and a separate 2,000-seat indoor theater, restaurants, a bowling alley or movie theater and retail.

Ratner, who will be bringing the Islanders from the Coliseum to his Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2015, wants to bring minor league hockey, lacrosse and Arena Football League teams to the Coliseum. The Islanders would return to the Coliseum to play six regular season games a year..

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...haul-1.5713414
When I see articles like this, I start to believe that this thing might finally get done! However, if this project is going to have any "identity" 13,000 seats won't be enough. It has to be closer to the 14,500 seats like the MSG proposal.

It really makes me sad that we didn't have this type of progress 3 years ago.

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Isles Chick 89

What makes MSG think that the rangers minor league hockey team is going to bring people to the arena?

Isles Chick 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Ziggy16

Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark has had preliminary conversations with the Big Ten and the Pac-12 about bringing basketball games to the Coliseum in Uniondale and is also negotiating to bring a preseason Atlantic 10 basketball tournament to the reconfigured arena, Ratner officials said. Long Island University and St. Francis College have played games at Barclays, and Ratner officials envision teams from Hofstra and Stony Brook universities playing games at the Coliseum.

SMG, the current operator of the Coliseum and a partner on Blumenfeld's original bid, will not play a role in Ratner's project.

Ratner, who will be bringing the Islanders from the Coliseum to his Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2015, wants to bring minor league hockey, lacrosse and Arena Football League teams to the Coliseum. Ratner would have the Islanders return to the Coliseum to play six regular or preseason games a year, although it's unclear if the National Hockey League would greenlight the plan.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...itch-1.5713414