HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2014, 11:10 PM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Would you trade say the 5th pick and Yakupov to draft Ekblad? (+)
Unless it's a significant + then absolutely not. You don't deal a talent like Yakupov just to move up 4 spots in the draft.
I'm not even a big Yakupov fan, but the worst thing they can do is sell low with him.
The Oilers won't be in 5th anyway, schedule is too tough and every team currently has games in hand on the Oilers and the Flames and Sabres have a bunch of games in hand. It's looking like bottom 3 is quite likely.

Old
01-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Would you trade say the 5th pick and Yakupov to draft Ekblad? (+)
No.. This draft is perfect for us if we're picking in the top 5 because we're either getting a stud defenseman in Ekblad or a center with good size in Reinhart, Dal Colle, Draisaitl or Bennett. I wouldn't be willing to add Yak to that.

Old
01-11-2014, 11:14 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
No.. This draft is perfect for us if we're picking in the top 5 because we're either getting a stud defenseman in Ekblad or a center with good size in Reinhart, Dal Colle, Draisaitl or Bennett. I wouldn't be willing to add Yak to that.
Are they all centers? I thought Colle and Bennett are wingers. I like Colle but why Bennett, seems like more of the same.

I'd do Drai but I have a feeling he's going at 3.

Old
01-11-2014, 11:55 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Are they all centers? I thought Colle and Bennett are wingers. I like Colle but why Bennett, seems like more of the same.

I'd do Drai but I have a feeling he's going at 3.
Bennett is in the Mike Richards/Doug Gilmour mold.

6'1'' 190lbs, physical, feisty, great defensively and solid with the puck.

Old
01-12-2014, 12:32 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Bennett is in the Mike Richards/Doug Gilmour mold.

6'1'' 190lbs, physical, feisty, great defensively and solid with the puck.
Good to know, thx.

Old
01-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Ashasx

Bennett and Dal Colle have been playing as LWers for a while.

I know, it upsets me as a Flames fan, too.

Old
01-12-2014, 09:12 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

I know, it upsets me as a Flames fan, too.
I think they both could make the swap back to center fairly easily though.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:27 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Unless it's a significant + then absolutely not. You don't deal a talent like Yakupov just to move up 4 spots in the draft.
I'm not even a big Yakupov fan, but the worst thing they can do is sell low with him.
The Oilers won't be in 5th anyway, schedule is too tough and every team currently has games in hand on the Oilers and the Flames and Sabres have a bunch of games in hand. It's looking like bottom 3 is quite likely.
Your not moving from 26th up to 22nd. Your moving from 5th to 1st. We need Ekblad WAY more than we need Yak. And I love Yak.

Let me ask you this. In five years from now let say the Oilers still have no 1D and buffalo still has no offensive spark would it not make sense to swap?

Old
01-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Ekblad or trade the pick. I wouldn't be against trading the pick even if Ekblad was available.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Your not moving from 26th up to 22nd. Your moving from 5th to 1st. We need Ekblad WAY more than we need Yak. And I love Yak.

Let me ask you this. In five years from now let say the Oilers still have no 1D and buffalo still has no offensive spark would it not make sense to swap?
You're suggesting it would make sense to swap Yakupov for Ekblad straight up essentially. Which I agree with. Adding another top five pick and Yakupov? No thanks.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:16 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

It's Yakupov PLUS a top 5 pick. That's insane overpayment for Ekblad. I really want the Oilers to get Ekblad but not THAT bad. We're not talking about a generational talent here.
If we're dealing Yak + a top 5 pick, it better be in a package for an established #1D, not a potential one.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:27 PM
czar99

Quote:
It's Yakupov PLUS a top 5 pick. That's insane overpayment for Ekblad. I really want the Oilers to get Ekblad but not THAT bad. We're not talking about a generational talent here.
If we're dealing Yak + a top 5 pick, it better be in a package for an established #1D, not a potential one.
I think the OP had it at Ekblad +. All I'm saying is if the Oilers are going to plug the massive hole we have on defense were going to have to give from a place of strength, and the 29 other GM's no this.

Why would any of the other teams want to deal with the Oilers unless they get on of the "big 5"? Look at the Schneider deal, the nucks we're trying to bend us over because they know if they help fill our holes there ****ed. We are going to have to either overpay in free agency (Clarckson) or overpay in a trade scenario.

My two cents.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:35 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
pretty sure this is only 1/2 true. Dal Colle has. Bennett continues to play C.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:40 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I think the OP had it at Ekblad +. All I'm saying is if the Oilers are going to plug the massive hole we have on defense were going to have to give from a place of strength, and the 29 other GM's no this.

Why would any of the other teams want to deal with the Oilers unless they get on of the "big 5"? Look at the Schneider deal, the nucks we're trying to bend us over because they know if they help fill our holes there ****ed. We are going to have to either overpay in free agency (Clarckson) or overpay in a trade scenario.

My two cents.
We do need Ekblad in the worst way but he's still a prospect, a man child prospect but still a prospect so I think it's crazy to trade not just one but two of our most valuable assets and deal it for Ekblad. Of course, it depends on what the plus would be from Buffalo's side.
MacT needs to deal these assets for good NHLers, not more prospects IMO.
In any event, we very well could be in a position to just draft Ekblad so all this talk will likely be moot.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:53 PM
czar99

Quote:
We do need Ekblad in the worst way but he's still a prospect, a man child prospect but still a prospect so I think it's crazy to trade not just one but two of our most valuable assets and deal it for Ekblad. Of course, it depends on what the plus would be from Buffalo's side.
MacT needs to deal these assets for good NHLers, not more prospects IMO.
In any event, we very well could be in a position to just draft Ekblad so all this talk will likely be moot.
In a behind closed doors lottery I would bet a lot that there would be no way in hell Bettman would let us pick first again. Like never. No way Jose. None

But if it ever did happen I would take two full days outta my life just to read the main boards.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:

maybe Gagner and our 5th. Or Marincin and our 3rd. something like that. some may think that is too much

Old
01-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
In a behind closed doors lottery I would bet a lot that there would be no way in hell Bettman would let us pick first again. Like never. No way Jose. None

But if it ever did happen I would take two full days outta my life just to read the main boards.
I want it to happen just to see the reaction on the main board. We take everyone's **** so it would be nice to get a good laugh. However, I have a terrible feeling the flames win the lottery this year.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

Yeah, the meltdown on the main board would almost be worth more than the Oilers being in a position to draft Ekblad. The entertainment value would be through the roof.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Myers888

Quote:

Yup. Calgary "wins" the lottery in my crystal ball.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Neatman

Cant believe some of you are discussing a top 5 pick + Yakupov for 1st overall this year

Can just see how it would turn out
Ekblad becomes Johnson round 2

Yakupov scores 50 and the player they take 5th becomes a first liner

Old
01-12-2014, 05:14 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Cant believe some of you are discussing a top 5 pick + Yakupov for 1st overall this year

Can just see how it would turn out
Ekblad becomes Johnson round 2

Yakupov scores 50 and the player they take 5th becomes a first liner
Yak scoring 50 has about the same probability of Ekblad turning into Johnson.

Old
01-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Johnson would be our best defenceman.

Old
01-12-2014, 08:50 PM
herestohoping

I had a dream last night that we got the 2nd overall pick and Ekblad was taken 1st overall. We picked Rienhart and nobody clapped or cheered. Ekblad is exactly what we need.... Thats all I care about for this draft do whatever if takes.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:00 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Michael Dal Colle/Sam Bennett
5. Sam Bennett/Michael Dal Colle

There's my list for the draft right now.

I'd be ecstatic to get Ekblad and very happy to get any of them. It's a great year to suck.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:51 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Michael Dal Colle/Sam Bennett
5. Sam Bennett/Michael Dal Colle

There's my list for the draft right now.

I'd be ecstatic to get Ekblad and very happy to get any of them. It's a great year to suck.
That's how I see it as well...no chance we don't pick in the top 5 IMO

Sam Reinhart with 2g 1a in a win over the Oil Kings tonight

Closed Thread