HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 02:22 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Any of those five players would be fantastic additions to the team. I think there's a pretty big drop off from the top two to the next three, and from the top five to everybody else.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:26 AM
oStealthKiller

Reinhart has 53 in 34 games and draisaitl has 54 in 35... I think i might take leon instead since hes 210 already. Is there some giant difference in defence?

Old
01-13-2014, 05:58 AM
LaGu

Would it be possible to trade a top 5 pick for a top goalie? I know that the NJD got Schneider for their 9th but I suppose the Luongo/Schneider issue played in there.

I know everyone has their ideas on what is a top goalie or not but without being to specific I mean someone like Quick, Hiller, Lundqvist, Rinne, Lehtonen, Miller.

Or is the value of a clear no 1 goalie more than that?

Old
01-13-2014, 06:22 AM
SHO NUFF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I'm going to put in my vote here for Jake Virtanen, someone I don't see mentioned very much (plays on the Calgary Hitmen, like Greg Chase). Big, skates well (1st step needs to improve), has a good shot, plays a physical, aggressive style, and from an interview I saw him give, he realizes he needs to be good defensively first (and this is speaking as a winger). He is exactly what the team needs in the top 6 -- big bodied player with skill who plays a hard nosed, north - south game:

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/9453
Bob Stauffer keeps throwing this kid's name out there on Oilers Now. Makes me wonder if he's heard whispers of possible interest.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:28 AM
phaedrusDH

wow, i'm a huge Sam Bennett fan, but even this is a surprise to me, from Central Scouting:

Kingston's Bennett rises to top of midterm rankings [for NA skaters]
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Old
01-13-2014, 10:42 AM
nando2392

Do you guys think its worth it to try getting another high first and take a shot at one of the Europeans? Jakub Vrana seems iteresting

Old
01-13-2014, 10:46 AM
nando2392

Draisaitl it's a magician with the puck! I wish we could have him and ekblad!
Gag + Dave Musil + Dillon Simpson for a top 3 pick

Old
01-13-2014, 10:48 AM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Ekbattle of Alberta...

CGY: 36pts
EDM: 35pts

Old
01-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Reinhart to #4? That seems really odd, because he's been nothing but great as far as I can tell.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Ekbattle of Alberta...

CGY: 36pts
EDM: 35pts
lol, I wouldn't worry, with the current central scouting list, I bet Calgary has Haden Fleury #1, big guy because...yeah, hitting.

Edit: To be fair I don't know much about him, and I figure he's probably pretty good.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
ManofSteel55

If we don't draft Ekblad (and personally, I expect to stay ahead of Buffalo and pass Calgary), I hope we trade the pick. This draft has only two guys considered probable stars, so if we can get a good defenseman, or a star goalie, or a package that fills two or three of our massive holes, then do it.

But to answer the question, for this team, Ekblad is far and away the best piece. Reinhart is a great talent, but I don't want him. He's too small, we don't need more one way forwards like Reinhart. If we end up with the pick that could get Reinhart, I would almost rather trade down a couple of spots.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:56 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
lol, I wouldn't worry, with the current central scouting list, I bet Calgary has Haden Fleury #1, big guy because...yeah, hitting.

Edit: To be fair I don't know much about him, and I figure he's probably pretty good.
He is very good. Not Ekblad good, but Fleury is a very, very good prospect. If we can`t get Ekblad, I hope we trade down or take a flyer on him actually. Partially because...well, defense, and partially because he is very, very good. Almost a surefire NHLer. The only risk is if his offensive game will translate.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:57 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
Do you guys think its worth it to try getting another high first and take a shot at one of the Europeans? Jakub Vrana seems iteresting
No. No more picks.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
If we don't draft Ekblad (and personally, I expect to stay ahead of Buffalo and pass Calgary), I hope we trade the pick. This draft has only two guys considered probable stars, so if we can get a good defenseman, or a star goalie, or a package that fills two or three of our massive holes, then do it.

But to answer the question, for this team, Ekblad is far and away the best piece. Reinhart is a great talent, but I don't want him. He's too small, we don't need more one way forwards like Reinhart. If we end up with the pick that could get Reinhart, I would almost rather trade down a couple of spots.
I half agree with you here. I agree the pick should be put Into play, but I don't think it should be moved just for the hell of it. Adding DalColle or Leon would be huge for our forward group.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
wow, i'm a huge Sam Bennett fan, but even this is a surprise to me, from Central Scouting:

so much for a big drop off after Ekblad and Reinhart...

Old
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
so much for a big drop off after Ekblad and Reinhart...
All these shiny new centers to distract other GMs from Ekblad. Could be a godsend for us.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:46 AM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
All these shiny new centers to distract other GMs from Ekblad. Could be a godsend for us.
I was thinking the same... BUF isnt picking up Ekblad with all the D they have.. but if they pick someone other than Reinhart then Ekblad should be available to us even if the Flames out suck us.

Lottery result might change things though ..

Old
01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD13 View Post
I don't think it's that as much as it's Reinhart and Ekblad dropping in stock.
how in the world did their stock drop? both played really well as underagers at the WJC and both have come back and played great so far

Old
01-13-2014, 01:18 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
how in the world did their stock drop? both played really well as underagers at the WJC and both have come back and played great so far
I never understood why players have such significant drops after the WJC. The tournament is such a small sample size against older players. The fact that they are even playing in the tournament should be a big plus.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:42 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post

Reinhart isnt small, and he isnt a one way forward. He is very good defensively and plays on the pk and against tho opposition's top lines.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:07 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

as much as I want Ekblad, I worry that the reason he's so good in junior is he's a man-child playing against guys that are much smaller than him and once he gets to the NHL, he's gonna have to learn to adapt quickly to guys his size...I'd hope he has the poise and IQ to do it

I'd be perfectly fine grabbing a another center though...Reinhart and Draisaitl at the top...big centers who play big minutes and in the case of Reinhart..."Mr.Everything" for his team...scores, hits, PKer, good on draws

Old
01-13-2014, 02:12 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
as much as I want Ekblad, I worry that the reason he's so good in junior is he's a man-child playing against guys that are much smaller than him and once he gets to the NHL, he's gonna have to learn to adapt quickly to guys his size...I'd hope he has the poise and IQ to do it

I'd be perfectly fine grabbing a another center though...Reinhart and Draisaitl at the top...big centers who play big minutes and in the case of Reinhart..."Mr.Everything" for his team...scores, hits, PKer, good on draws
Thing is, most stand out JR players that get picked in the top of round 1 are "men against boys." Ekblad is a different scenario though, since he's in his 3rd OHL season.

Ekblad is the only player in the top 5 that I would want. Maybe Draisaitl, but Ekblad for sure.

If we do pick Draisaitl, I'd pull him out of junior ASAP. The Raiders aren't really known for producing NHL talent... I'd rather the Oilers develop him than leaving it up to the Raiders organization.

The last impact NHLer the Raiders have produced is Scott Hartnell. And he was taken from them when he was 18 too.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:17 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
Thing is, most stand out JR players that get picked in the top of round 1 are "men against boys." Ekblad is a different scenario though, since he's in his 3rd OHL season.

Ekblad is the only player in the top 5 that I would want. Maybe Draisaitl, but Ekblad for sure.

If we do pick Draisaitl, I'd pull him out of junior ASAP. The Raiders aren't really known for producing NHL talent... I'd rather the Oilers develop him than leaving it up to the Raiders organization.

The last impact NHLer the Raiders have produced is Scott Hartnell. And he was taken from them when he was 18 too.
whats wrong with Reinhart?

Old
01-13-2014, 02:22 PM
40oz

I've come to realize that under no circumstances should the Oilers draft William Nylander.
It has nothing to do with who is father is, but everything to do with the fact that he's Jofferey Baratheon's doppelganger.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:23 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post

7 Ice Dogs on that list. 2G, 3D, 2F. We've never seen a draft like this one!

Closed Thread